The OL injury epidemic across the NFL

2 minutes ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

Tune into MNF and both teams have makeshift OLs. What is going on in the league? Do they need to adjust to college rules where lineman can block 3 yards downfield? That might slow down these pass rushers that are putting these guys in rolling skates. 

perhaps weight issues ??? gain weight slowly and your bones, muscles and connecting tissues keep pace.  gain weight too fast and you risk injury. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

In modern football, the human body has gone beyond the optimal build. These guys are juiced to the gills, working out dozens of hours a week, and then running into each other at full speed on fake turf, making vicious stop and start cuts in the process. The human body was not meant to go through this.

And the tears are not happening on one play.   Probably collecting micro tears every collision.  

And turf probably has more strain from hits and cuts than grass I’d bet.  

• Upvote 2

Another contributing theory is that it’s the only iron man position in the game that doesn’t sub out players except for injury. Going from barely a quarter’s worth of reps in the preseason to full game worths of live reps probably is an adjustment teams aren’t making since they cut out a preseason game. 

also agreed on the other trends including the turf and increasing athleticism of defensive players. The Jets have been tops in $ committed to IR so our team especially has a lot of poor factors going on including the travesty that is our home stadium. 

• Upvote 1

I think part of the issue is the CBA limits padded practices and coaches are now trying to keep players fresh with so little practice, OL bodies aren't ready to go from 5 mph Mon-Sat to 150 mph on gameday.  The protections are having a reverse affect for OL.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JetFaninPatLand said:

Tune into MNF and both teams have makeshift OLs. What is going on in the league? Do they need to adjust to college rules where lineman can block 3 yards downfield? That might slow down these pass rushers that are putting these guys in rolling skates. 

They play a high contact position and are expected to play every snap, while opposing D's are rotating D lineman in and out of the game. They are exhausted and beaten down which leads to injuries. Teams need to rethink what a starting O line is. It should be 7 players, not 5. Add a swing T to give each of your T's some plays off and add an IOL to spell the G's and C.   

51 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I think part of the issue is the CBA limits padded practices and coaches are now trying to keep players fresh with so little practice, OL bodies aren't ready to go from 5 mph Mon-Sat to 150 mph on gameday.  The protections are having a reverse affect for OL.  

They aren't practicing enough.

I don't know that they are properly training.  They are training more like sprinters, less like endurance athletes.

12 hours ago, Hal said:

And the tears are not happening on one play.   Probably collecting micro tears every collision.  

And turf probably has more strain from hits and cuts than grass I’d bet.  

Then the solution is for the all the OL players across the league to stop crying so there aren’t so many tears. Problem solved. 

• Haha 1

All the chemicals in the food just might possibly be a problem all across this whole world health issues increase the more chemicals in the food. I don’t know maybe that’s a problem. It’s a bit of conspiracy to suggest side effects though so sorry I gotta go don’t rat me out to the Gestapo please thanks.bye

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Maybe the NFL should cap the weight of positions.  Like boxing ?

Excellent idea.  And the teams should have a combined weight limit for any of the eleven they’re putting out on each play.  So if a team wants to go heavy dline then the secondary has to be lightweight.  I’ve brought up this weight limit by position many times to limit injury and also improve the health of the players.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Hal said:

I think the nutrition programs have pushed bodies too far.  I don’t think the ligaments can handle the strain and force from the bigger collisions. 

Bo Jackson got to that point without a nutrition program or lifting - so it’s always been an issue.  These linemen today are jacked and incredibly explosive.  

I agree and I hate to say it considering I coached High School Baseball for a long time.  We preached bigger, faster, stronger to our kids.  We needed to in order to compete with the bigger schools.  Our kids lifted 3 days a week and long tossed on the off days.  I think that building so much muscle is a detriment to all sports but baseball in particular.  You never heard of anyone having arm issues back in the day.  Nolan Ryan would throw 300 pitches and go back out there after a few days rest without ever needing TJ surgery.  Football is a different story but how can you also be flexible with all that muscle?

How many people on earth can go up against Dexter Lawrence and not buckle like a tin can?  Guy was destroying our guys in the middle.  Agreed expand the roster, build chemistry amongst a broader group of linemen and rotate them out to give them a rest.  Eventually the higher pay O Linemen will be getting might draw some better athletes to the position to compete against these defensive monsters.  It is in the league's interest to at least look at the issue.  Offensive football has been dreadful this year and the O Line issue is at the center of it imo.  

I coach youth football and most of our practices are on modern field turf.  On the days we move to a grass field the difference is BEYOND noticable.  You literally feel like you are walking on a pillowtop when you are on the grass fields.

The thing that I dont understand is how expensive could natural grass really be?  I understand that turf requires a ton less maintenance and can get all torn up during a concert or other event but is it really that much of an expense.  Does an NFL owner worth multiple billions of dollars really not want to spend an extra $2 million per year (that is a business expense) to keep the players safer?

My guess is that some owners REALLY want turf and make it hard for the other owners to go the grass route as it will make them look bad and the owners do tend to stick together, no matter how unpopular the decision they are making.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

I coach youth football and most of our practices are on modern field turf.  On the days we move to a grass field the difference is BEYOND noticable.  You literally feel like you are walking on a pillowtop when you are on the grass fields.

The thing that I dont understand is how expensive could natural grass really be?  I understand that turf requires a ton less maintenance and can get all torn up during a concert or other event but is it really that much of an expense.  Does an NFL owner worth multiple billions of dollars really not want to spend an extra $2 million per year (that is a business expense) to keep the players safer?

My guess is that some owners REALLY want turf and make it hard for the other owners to go the grass route as it will make them look bad and the owners do tend to stick together, no matter how unpopular the decision they are making.

MetLife is an extreme circumstance because it hosts 17+ games per season as opposed to 8-9 that other stadiums do.  Leaving out other events, that is apparently much harder on grass.  I have no knowledge about lawn care beyond occasionally throwing seed down on mine, but that seems like a plausible point in the debate.

Remember the good old days when you would have a slightly flattened pitcher's mound in the middle of a football field?

If you walk the parking lot at MetLife when it's empty you'll see these folds and bends 

I'm no structural engineer but that could be because it's built on literal swamp land. Met Life stadium is probably more stable than the parking lot but I have to wonder if that surface is really stable, because, again, it's built on fill in Marsh land. It's probably at or below sea level it's a battle against nature that you're eventually going to lose.  

they just replaced the field turf this year maybe the "solution" for the Met Life turf is to put the stadium on dry land 

but all that being said they lose AVT at Denver twice on Grass, they lose Breece Hall on Denver grass 

maybe it's just a dangerous game no matter what it's played on 

Grass is not some panecea. The Super Bowl was played on grass last year and it was a sloppy mess. These guys are track athletes they probably want to get some traction to gain speed. As opposed to playing on soft mud, which is what any grass field in the NY area will be by Dec 1. 

Even if they replaced it with sod trucked in from where grass is growing, there's no easy way to grow grass in a NY winter. The sun sets at 4p. Grass doesn't grow. Maybe that underground Real Madrid tray system, if we're dreaming  

Let's not forget old players like Aaron Rodgers and Al Woods are more prone to getting hurt too. Aaron Rodgers is in his 19th season let's not be all surprised when his body gives out