Tyreek Hill: Jets offered more guaranteed $$$, chose Miami cause of state income tax

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He was already in the process of building a mansion in Miami. He told the Chiefs explicitly he wanted Miami. The income tax thing is a fun footnote, but he was always going to Miami.

Did you watch the video? He said Miami was home.

• Upvote 1

Votes matter. Suc we lost cause of stupid taxes. Honestly I'm in CA the taxes suck here too. I'm sure sf and other teams have lost out too. If there was only like some sort of fair way to do taxes where everyone just paid the same percentage. Then players would not have to sho states when it comes to taxes. That would be cool 😎

• Upvote 1

Been saying this for a while.  By the end of a large contract, the difference between playing in NY and FL could average out to few million more a year. On top of the jets being the jets, they also have to make less money playing here. It’s a huge reason why we never actually land the big time free agents everyone said we should have tried harder to get. Until this team can prove that it isn’t career suicide coming here, players will never be willing to take less to play here.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He was already in the process of building a mansion in Miami. He told the Chiefs explicitly he wanted Miami. The income tax thing is a fun footnote, but he was always going to Miami.

In a previous interview he laughed when the Jets were brought up.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jayrad01 said:

According to this article the Jets pay NJ taxes and the difference from Jets to Dolphins is about 4%. It definitely adds up when your making millions but probably not the difference people think it is. It's mostly federal taxes that have to be paid by everyone in the NFL

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

If that article is accurate, then he still would have earned more with Jets if the numbers he shares are also true.

The tax thing is is just talk.  Surely his mother would have done the simple math on the equation if it was truly a deciding factor. 

I for one am shocked Tyreke Hill is full of sh*t.  He’s such an upstanding citizen.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

With it technically being a traveling job, I don't understand why they wouldn't just pay taxes to the state they are a resident of.

Back when I was a trucker I worked for a company out of Springfield, MO but never paid state income taxes due to residing in the state of Texas.

Easy fix for any of these state income tax shenanigans.

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Feel like NFL needs to step in with these types of situations. Certain states should not have an advantage in free agency because of taxes 

Definitely, it seems insane to me that the salary cap is not adjusted based on the different income tax rates across different states.