Jets Will McDonald PFF grade

hmhertz

He was the highest PFF graded  week 8  (89.8) on 8 snaps.

Jalen Carter 2nd 84.9 on 17 snaps.   As for you sack graders

Carter had zip sacks the same as Mac in twice the snaps. 1

assisted tackle same as Will. WM had a better game affecting the passer and

was a bigger factor in his teams victory, with his kick blocking leap

• Upvote 4

JJ didn’t have a great rookie year but looks pretty good this year. I’ll give McDonald the benefit of the doubt for now.

His position is a difficult one and most edge rushers don’t produce year 1. Plus we have a pretty decent depth chart ahead of him. 

let’s see how he looks next year. Not every player is great from game 1.  (And for the record, I absolutely hated the pick when it happened, but it was a premium position and I’m willing to give jd the benefit of the doubt….. for now.)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I once took a half-court shot in the high school gymnasium and sank it (true story).  It happened during gym class and was the talk of the school (for one day at least).  I never took another half court shot again and essentially retired having hit EVERY SINGLE HALF COURT SHOT I ever took in gym class.  100%.

I love small sample sizes.

Because I have the overseas version of NFL Game Pass (DAZN), I haven't had access until the all 22 until today.  Literally came away from it just to check McDonald's snap count because I haven't seen much of him but what I have seen might be the best he has looked this season.  Some quality reps vs the run and the pass despite not seeing the field very much.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Will McDonald #breakout is upcoming baby

I think it might be.  Looked very good vs the Giants and if this team starts getting some leads, he should see more action.

Never disliked the player despite wanting a different pick in that spot.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

JJ didn’t have a great rookie year but looks pretty good this year. I’ll give McDonald the benefit of the doubt for now.

His position is a difficult one and most edge rushers don’t produce year 1. Plus we have a pretty decent depth chart ahead of him. 

let’s see how he looks next year. Not every player is great from game 1.  (And for the record, I absolutely hated the pick when it happened, but it was a premium position and I’m willing to give jd the benefit of the doubt….. for now.)

Not everyone is John Abraham making an immediate game wrecking impact. Sometimes these kids need a year or 2 to develop. Sheesh, some of these guys need to take a Xanax or 3.

21 hours ago, Robert said:

So all we do here is rip our players (even rookies), coaches, GM and owner

Wow what a great fan base

its easy to be negative.weak takes

Be sure to check out the "Quinnen Williams actually sucks" thread.

On 11/2/2023 at 7:39 PM, Beerfish said:

He is actually playing less than he did before 11% of D snaps last week and 9% the week we played before.

My first thought is that 11 is more than 9.  My second is that it seems like it might be situational.  Not much reason for pass rushers against Joe Pesci from Goodfellas.  He played a fair number of snaps against Denver which was the only game that went according to script with the Jets playing with a lead.  He is playing a decent amount on specials too.  

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My first thought is that 11 is more than 9.  My second is that it seems like it might be situational.  Not much reason for pass rushers against Joe Pesci from Goodfellas.  He played a fair number of snaps against Denver which was the only game that went according to script with the Jets playing with a lead.  He is playing a decent amount on specials too.  

By weeks starting from 1

19%

Innactive

15%

17%

27%

9%

11%

Legitimate question for the anti McDonald crowd. 

Setting aside his stats/snaps, when you watch him play, do you really not see traits that would lead you to believe he can be a successful player?

I really think one of the difficulties for our fan base is that we dont suck anymore.  Will McDonald isnt any better of a prospect or a player because of his stats this season.  He isnt playing or getting statistics because he has elite players in JJ and Huff in front of him.  Its NOT because he doesnt have the skill set that caused him to be a top 15 pick.  

Rookies on bad teams get stats because they dont have anyone in front of them, we happen to have those players.  So can we please let McDonald develop before labeling him a bust.