“ "In this league, there is never an excuse for your circumstance.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38825249/vikings-jaren-hall-concussion-josh-dobbs-qb

ATLANTA -- Just before his first play as the Minnesota Vikings' emergency quarterback, Josh Dobbs joined a quick meeting with the offensive line. His new teammates wanted to make sure he knew the five primary cadences they have used this season, a discussion normally handled on the first day of training camp.

Acquired Tuesday from the Arizona Cardinals, Dobbs did not receive a single rep with the Vikings' offense during the practice week. Before Sunday, he hadn't thrown a practice pass to any of their receivers, nor taken a snap from center Garrett Bradbury. He didn't even know most of their full names, he later admitted.

But Dobbs was thrust into action after rookie starter Jaren Hall suffered a first-quarter concussion Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, going on to produce one of the most unique stories of the NFL season. After a slow start, Dobbs led the Vikings to a rousing 31-28 victory over the Atlanta Falcons.

His 6-yard touchdown pass to receiver Brandon Powellwith 22 seconds remaining capped an 11-play, 75-yard game-winning drive, one he aided with a 22-yard scramble to convert a fourth-and-7.

"In this league," Dobbs said, "there is never an excuse for your circumstance. I learned that from [Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin]. Usually people don't care about your circumstances. They just want to see you succeed given the circumstances you've given."

That Dobbs was even in a Vikings uniform Sunday was a testament to the increasingly bizarre nature of the Vikings' season. They lost quarterback Kirk Cousins to a torn right Achilles tendon last week, and with backup Nick Mullens on injured reserve because of a back injury, Hall was the only healthy quarterback on the active roster.

The Vikings left every practice rep to Hall last week to help him prepare to make his first NFL start. Coach Kevin O'Connell told Dobbs to treat his own preparation as if the Vikings were playing on a Thursday night, when play installs are condensed and practices are shortened and lightened considerably.

As a classic NFL journeyman over the past seven seasons, Dobbs had some experience in the kind of quick turnarounds the Vikings were asking him to make. In 2022, he made his first start with the Tennessee Titans eight days after signing with them. The Cardinals, meanwhile, acquired him on Aug. 24 from the Cleveland Browns and started him in their first regular-season game Sept. 10. But none of that compared to what happened Sunday.

He had watched Hall practice the play that led to Powell's winning catch but had never thrown it himself. O'Connell had shifted the offense into an up-tempo, no-huddle look in part because it gave him more time to give Dobbs coaching points through his headset -- before the speaker shut off at 15 seconds on the play clock as mandated by NFL rules.

O'Connell said he was telling Dobbs "what I wanted him to do on his drop, what the concept was going to be, what was going to be on his left, what was going to be on his right [or] a last-minute reminder: 'Don't forget about your legs.'" He asked Bradbury to monitor Dobbs' protection calls and be my "my make-it-right guy." And in the huddle, skill players were confirming their routes and spots on the field to Dobbs when he asked them, receiver Jordan Addison said.

The Vikings had called timeout just before the throw to Powell, allowing O'Connell to get to a play he had installed for exactly that moment. According to Powell, the Vikings had put the play in after seeing it work when the Detroit Lions used it against the Falcons in Week 3. When the Falcons came out in the same defense -- Cover 4 -- the Vikings knew it would work.

"The beauty of it is that with the timeout, we got up to the line of scrimmage and I looked up at the play clock and I see 25 seconds," O'Connell said with a smile. "The worst thing for [Dobbs] is that he has 10 seconds left of my voice.

"I know he's very, very smart but I can tell you that what he was able to do in five days' time is as impressive as what I've seen a quarterback do."

Dobbs lost two fumbles and was sacked for a safety but ultimately completed 20 of 30 passes for 158 yards and two touchdowns. He also led the team with 66 rushing yards on seven scrambles, and he did so with the Vikings missing not only Cousins and receiver Justin Jefferson, but also receiver K.J. Osborn (concussion), left tackle Christian Darrisaw (groin) and running back Cam Akers (Achilles).

"It was like an ugly, awesome game," Bradbury said.

Dobbs entered the game 1-9 as an NFL starter in stints with the Steelers, Titans and Cardinals. (He has also spent time with the Browns, Lions and Jacksonville Jaguars.)

He won't get credit in the record book for Sunday's win, because Hall started it, but he also won't soon forget it. Dobbs compared last week to "taking AP Spanish all year and now somebody tells you you're going to take the AP French exam."

It all happened in his hometown -- Dobbs is a graduate of Alpharetta (Ga.) High School -- and a local reporter asked O'Connell if that added a level to the significance of what happened. There was one problem.

"This may surprise you," O'Connell said, "but I just met him a few days ago and I didn't know that. You just gave me something to talk to our new quarterback about."

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

On the day of a huge game for the Jets, this is the sh*t people post....in the main forum no less.

An inspiring story about a winning backup QB.

Oh no, so offensive.   

I see the forum positivity police are already out in full this morning.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

This is an indictment on Saleh for saying you can’t just bring in a QB. This is also an indictment on Hackett’s system. You need a HOF QB for it to work. 

And people literally clown me when I call these dudes bush league, it’s the truth though

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Meanwhile we’re in year three chalking up every excuse in the book.

The Vikings star QB went down with an Achilles injury and hours later they were saving their season with this guy. Total gamer.

Jets star QB goes down with an Achilles and… We’re just hoping the worst QB in the NFL miraculously stops being terrible. 

Thank you Joe Douglas! Thank you!

And if this was Zach, this forum would be bitching about the two fumbles and the safety he took. Or that he didn't throw for 300 yards. 

Guys been in the league for 9 years! I'm not saying its not impressive what he did but its totally different situation than what Zach has had to deal with.

And Zach just pulled out a miracle less than a week ago but I know, he made a bad throw, cant throw TD's, bla bla bla.

God give it a freaking rest!

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

And if this was Zach, 

“If this was Zach” the Vikings wouldn’t have traded for him and if they did they would have lost to the Falcons by three touchdowns.

The point is the Jets should have done what the Vikings did and the attitude in Dobbs (instilled by Tomlin) is the exact opposite of what the Jets have done. I think it’s eye opening and impossible to watch this happen without drawing parallels to the Jets.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

“If this was Zach” the Vikings wouldn’t have traded for him and if they did they would have lost to the Falcons by three touchdowns.

The point is the Jets should have done what the Vikings did and the attitude in Dobbs (instilled by Tomlin) is the exact opposite of what the Jets have done. I think it’s eye opening and impossible to watch this happen without drawing parallels to the Jets.

Is that the fault of Zach or Saleh?  Dobbs was actually coached by a future HOF HC.  

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I definitely agree with you that the Jets have mishandled the QB situation. I've said it before, Zach had no business starting his first year, and they needed a vet QB to help teach him, as well as an OC who wasn't a first timer.

A lot could have been done differently to give Zach a better platform and we could really assess him without the damage and steps backward from the first two years. We have had to reset him from some of the errors the staff has made in handling him.

I'm not Full believer in Zach yet but i have hope and I've seen some good things.

Is this the Josh Dobbs y'all are filating right now?  Or are we talking about someone else?

Joshua Dobbs was 1-9 as a starter in his career until yesterday.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/josh-dobbs-record-as-a-starter-career

The team is a win away from being a half-game out of first place and this is what we get.

Honestly at this point I'm really starting to just feel bad for y'all - must be tough.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The team is a win away from being a half-game out of first place and this is what we get.

And we're one loss away from the start of a collapse similar to last years.  Literally one year ago we were 6-3, then 7-4.  And remind me, what did we finish?

Being angry other fans aren't celebrating wins before they happen, celebrating records mid-season as if that was good enough job done, demanding only positivity from fans, these are things loser franchises have to do. 

Winners just win.  No excuses, no explanations, no chest-beating bravado required.

If we win tonight, be assured, we'll all be happy.  We might still be critical of aspects that didn't help the win happen or worked against the chances of winning, but we'll be happy if we win.  Or, given our turf, we might also be lamenting another 4-5 bad injuries :(.

But the season isn't over at 4-3 and it won't be over at 5-3 (or 4-4).  And those of us who've been around a while have seen more than our fair share of glorious 4-3 and 5-3 starts result in 6-10 and 7-9 (7-10 now I guess) finishes.

So if we're cynical, it's because we are what this franchise, and loving it the way we do, has made us.

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly at this point I'm really starting to just feel bad for y'all - must be tough.

Don't feel bad.  It's not tough at all.  Being a Jets fan has helped make me a realist, a pragmatist, a guy who lives in the world as it is, not as I wish it to be.  These are all good things IMO, for surviving and thriving in this world.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

And we're one loss away from the start of a collapse similar to last years.  Literally one year ago we were 6-3, then 7-4.  And remind me, what did we finish?

Being angry other fans aren't celebrating wins before they happen, celebrating records mid-season as if that was good enough job done, demanding only positivity from fans, these are things loser franchises have to do. 

Winners just win.  No excuses, no explanations, no chest-beating bravado required.

If we win, be assuredly, we'll all be happy.  We might still be critical of aspects that didn't help the win happen or worked against the chances of winning, but we'll be happy if we win.

But the season isn't over at 4-3and it won't be over at 5-3.  And those of us who've been around a while have seen more than our fair share of glorious 4-3 and 5-3 starts result in 6-10 and 7-9 (7-10 now I guess) finishes.

So if we're cynical, it's because we are what this franchise, and loving it the way we do, has made us.

Don't feel bad.  It's not tough at all.  Being a Jets fan has helped make me a realist, a pragmatist, a guy who lives in the world as it is, not as I wish it to be.  These are all good things IMO, for surviving and thriving in this world.

Yet the game hasn't been played yet.  It's not more pragmatic or realistic to doubt the Jets than to not doubt the Jets until the actual results are in.

The league is mostly full of mediocre to flawed teams.  A not very good team can actually win the division and go deep into the playoffs.   The Jets actually have put themselves in position to succeed or fail based on what they do not what they have done.   The overall lack of excelence of the league makes almost every game a toss up.  The Jets while flawed aren't more or less flawed than most of the league.  At home against a team coming cross country is usually a clear plus for the home team.  Pragmatism would support a Jets win tonight and a lean toward optimism.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Literally one year ago we were 6-3, then 7-4.  And remind me, what did we finish?

Last year is last year and this year is this year.  Different team, different players - even Zach is a different player right now.

I'm not saying don't be concerned for a collapse - it can absolutely happen.  I'm saying glorifying Josh Dobbs as some type of savior is absurd.  

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we win tonight, be assured, we'll all be happy.

I'm sure you will be happy.  But I can also assure you, after the Jets win...5 of the top 7 threads on the board will be Zach Wilson sucks threads (regardless of how he played.)  Critical is one thing - just relentless nonsense like Josh Dobbs being some savant move by the Vikings and JD should be fired for not signing him is just silly.

1 hour ago, Jetfuel66 said:

And if this was Zach, this forum would be bitching about the two fumbles and the safety he took. Or that he didn't throw for 300 yards. 

Guys been in the league for 9 years! I'm not saying its not impressive what he did but its totally different situation than what Zach has had to deal with.

And Zach just pulled out a miracle less than a week ago but I know, he made a bad throw, cant throw TD's, bla bla bla.

God give it a freaking rest!

Thread about how making excuses is bad. 

Jetfuel66 proceeds to make an excuse.

Story at 11.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Last year is last year and this year is this year.  Different team, different players - even Zach is a different player right now.

Not really, the vast bulk of players and coaches are the same.

I'm not saying don't be concerned for a collapse - it can absolutely happen.  I'm saying glorifying Josh Dobbs as some type of savior is absurd.  

A nice one-game story about another QB and another way of handling an injury to the #1 QB isn't IMO "glorifying".

I'm sure you will be happy.  But I can also assure you, after the Jets win...5 of the top 7 threads on the board will be Zach Wilson sucks threads (regardless of how he played).

I would strongly disagree with the "regardless of how he played" part.   If he produces poorly, can't score TD's, and we have many three and outs and go 1 for 10 on third downs or the like, yes, he's going to catch beef for it.

Again, we have several posters here who actively gaslight us all every week about how a really poor game with a few flashes wasn't really poor, but was the great and amazing improvement (i.e. the Giants game, the Chiefs game.)

You're basically arguing for the "shut up and just be happy and don't think too much" mentality some fans seem to love.

Critical is one thing - just relentless nonsense like Josh Dobbs being some savant move by the Vikings and JD should be fired for not signing him is just silly.

If JS should be fired, it'll be because he has failed to assemble/build a winning team over the entirety of his time in charge.

But it's moot, because I believe if we lose every game the rest of this year, Woody will still not fire JD or Saleh, so yeah.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Saleh and jd have done alot of good but the way they have handled the qb room over the last 3 years has been head scratching. They seem to refuse to buy i to the qb being the most important person on the field with the whole team “rah rah” 

Head scratching is an understatement. More like infuriatingly stubborn and stupid.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A nice one-game story about another QB and another way of handling an injury to the #1 QB isn't IMO "glorifying".

Like so many other threads here - it started out that way.  Great story and good for him.  I caught a lot of that game and was really happy for Dobbs - it was a fun watch and a fun game all around.  But unfortunately it quickly turned into a Zach Wilson sucks thread rather than an enjoyable story about a pack up QB having an exciting career day.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I would strongly disagree with the "regardless of how he played" part. 

We'll see about this one - Hopefully he plays well tonight (I know you're hoping the same) and if he does - let's revisit this statement on Wed.  

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Again, we have several posters here who actively gaslight us all every week about how a really poor game with a few flashes wasn't really poor, but was the great and amazing improvement (i.e. the Giants game, the Chiefs game.)

Don't disagree but you get that on both sides though - there are hacks here that do that same and refuse to see anything positive too.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're basically arguing for the "shut up and just be happy and don't think too much" mentality some fans seem to love.

No, I'm arguing it doesn't have to be every thread.  I'm not exaggerating if I said just about every thread on this board (regardless of topic) turns into a Zach Wilson sucks thread - most on the first page - but I have yet to see one go past past page 4.  It's surely a viable topic to discuss the limitations of Zach.  There are plenty.  I don't think anyone is really saying he's a very good QB right now.   It just annoying that we can't have other discussions without it turning into Zach sucks.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If JS should be fired, it'll be because he has failed to assemble/build a winning team over the entirety of his time in charge.

But it's moot, because I believe if we lose every game the rest of this year, Woody will still not fire JD or Saleh, so yeah.

Agree.  These guys are coming back for next year's run with Rodgers.  All bets are off after that though.