Kevin Mawae fired as coach of large private HS in Nashville

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kind of baffling recruiting for private high schools is a thing. Like, is there money in high school football?

You get recruiting violations in college football -- there are millions of dollars at stake. High school?

With private schools there is competition for talent. They are looking for talented kids that will elevate their program through athletic prowess. Because they are private schools, they can attract kids outside their boundaries.

To answer your question directly, NO they are not supposed to get offered money. They can give you access to supposed better education that a public school and can discount that cost.

That is it in a very small nutshell. All that said, I have no idea what occurred with Mawae.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

With private schools there is competition for talent. They are looking for talented kids that will elevate their program through athletic prowess. Because they are private schools, they can attract kids outside their boundaries.

So it's just wealthy alumni who care about this? Trying to understand who is being appeased/placated by a powerhouse HS football program.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I coach 6 and 10 year sports. I’m teaching children how to rise up in the face of adversity, play for the person next to them, how to apply what you learn in practice, and preparing them to be good humans… most f the other guys coaching kids at these ages are trying to prove they are Belichik. Money has nothing to do with it. Some people just suck. A lot of them, really.

You're better than me.   I usually just try to teach them to have fun.  It's amazing how many coaches forget that.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I coach 6 and 10 year sports. I’m teaching children how to rise up in the face of adversity, play for the person next to them, how to apply what you learn in practice, and preparing them to be good humans… most f the other guys coaching kids at these ages are trying to prove they are Belichik. Money has nothing to do with it. Some people just suck. A lot of them, really.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're better than me.   I usually just try to teach them to have fun.  It's amazing how many coaches forget that.

I think both of you guys are doing a fine job. Make sure to tell them coach gets fist pick of the post game snacks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

That’s implicit, but yes, I agree. What I’ve learned though is that after about 8, being competent and winning something’s is correlated with fun. My teams have a blast. I just make sure to seize every teaching moment I can. I don’t yell. I don’t make them feel bad. I just guide them through how to respond to scenarios. That can be with skill or attitude or emotions. Just depends.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So it's just wealthy alumni who care about this? Trying to understand who is being appeased/placated by a powerhouse HS football program.

I mean the coaches want to win too. Private/catholic programs have always recruited.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Brady's a catcher said:

Still one of my favorite movies of all time. So quotable, so fun to watch baked or buzzed.

"No way, those guys are f*gs!"

“So what’s he going to do Dude?  Is he going sh*t or is he going to kill us?”

“First he’s gonna sh*t and then he’s going to kill us”.

”Look, no problem, my old man is a plumber, has an Ultimate set of tools….I can fix it”.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

From scanning the school's website, their football program is a huge part of the school's focus. It's probably a fundraising issue to have a winning program (as is true for colleges and public high schools). There's a huge marketing component here. Players from a good football team are likely recruited to colleges and that helps them sell the quality of the school as a whole. At Christian private schools like this one, one or two sports (often football and baseball) tend to be extremely important to the families who go to the schools, so they invest a lot of money into those programs. Even if the athletic program had no real impact on fundraising or marketing, they would almost certainly continue to invest a disproportionate amount of money into those programs. 

I went to a large public school outside of Dallas where football is extremely important. The team was terrible and generally not much of a source for college recruitment. Nevertheless, the head football coach was the second highest paid employee behind the principal. The team received an enormous amount of financial resources at the expense of most of the academic programs and most of the rest of the athletic program. Why? Because high school football is a big deal there. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

not Rex. he was just saying today on Greeny that its a sport and you got to have fun. not be a like " its your job you better do it",. he was talking about McDaniels firing and how the players hated playing for him. 

• Upvote 1

Kind of baffling recruiting for private high schools is a thing. Like, is there money in high school football?

You get recruiting violations in college football -- there are millions of dollars at stake. High school?

There's tons of money. I know this because I've seen Friday Night Lights, starring Billy Bob Thornton.

• Haha 4

Kind of baffling recruiting for private high schools is a thing.

Have you seen how much private schools are charging in tuition these days?  A successful football program is an excellent marketing (and fundraising) opportunity for a school in general.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In Metro Detroit, we call that "Novi Catholic Central High School". 

I doubt ESPN showing all those High School games is ESPN being altruistic.

Neither is Lipscomb allowing Mawae to fill his staff with former NFL players.  Collee football has long been a business.  HS is well on it's way.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Have you seen how much private schools are charging in tuition these days?  A successful football program is an excellent marketing (and fundraising) opportunity for a school in general.

It's just interesting to me -- I get the cultural value in public schools in places like Texas or Florida, or even at super prep schools like IMG Academy.

I'm just surprised there's that much value to this Catholic schools in places like Nashville.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's just interesting to me -- I get the cultural value in public schools in places like Texas or Florida, or even at super prep schools like IMG Academy.

I'm just surprised there's that much value to this Catholic schools in places like Nashville.

Same show, different town