This Defense

Jetfuel66

I hate to do this, but can you imagine how much better this defense would be if they actually were playing with a lead once in a while?

Their pass rush rates are off the charts and they haven't had the chance to pin their ears back and play the way this defense was designed.

I hope we can see these dudes play with a 20 point lead once in a while.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

I hate to do this, but can you imagine how much better this defense would be if they actually were playing with a lead once in a while?

Their pass rush rates are off the charts and they haven't had the chance to pin their ears back and play the way this defense was designed.

Which was the whole premise in drafting McDonald (who I still think will be a useful player).

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Normal teams get 12 drives a game.

With the Jets offense, teams get 15, 16 chances and the d still pays well.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Jets couldn’t score 20 points in 3 weeks 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There wasn’t an OL to take there after the Steelers took Jones.  Could have taken another position, but OL would have been a reach 

I’m at the point where even drafting a good LT won’t fix much here.  It would be interesting to see if rodgers could succeed with this same offensive personnel, if only to isolate how much of the issues are purely the qb.  But i fear we’re at the same point as last year where the OL will simply look better with any other qb in there.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Just imagine if they could have forced 3 turnovers like the SD LA Chargers defense did.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jetfuel66 said:

A wut? 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

There wasn’t an OL to take there after the Steelers took Jones.  Could have taken another position, but OL would have been a reach 

then the comments/view that the jets got the bad end of the rodgers trade makes sense given we could have picked jones.  

maybe jones would not have been a good fit for us.  i don't know the answer to that

from memory the next OL guy picked was ten spots lower.  so unless they were willing to do a trade down prob not the right pick.

24 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

And a project DE wasn’t?

Eh, I think the term “project” is silly in this context. He’s not playing a lot because he’s behind some really good players. He flashed in preseason and he had a nice play on Monday night. He has ability.

People were saying the same things about JJ last year and I warned them about how dumb those comments might look in a year or two. Same thing applies here. 

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

then the comments/view that the jets got the bad end of the rodgers trade makes sense given we could have picked jones.  

maybe jones would not have been a good fit for us.  i don't know the answer to that

from memory the next OL guy picked was ten spots lower.  so unless they were willing to do a trade down prob not the right pick.

Depends what Jones ends up being. Too early to really go nuts about the pick swap 

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, I think the term “project” is silly in this context. He’s not playing a lot because he’s behind some really good players. He flashed in preseason and he had a nice play on Monday night. He has ability.

People were saying the same things about JJ last year and I warned them about how dumb those comments might look in a year or two. Same thing applies here. 

it's not the mcdonald is a bad player or won't develop into a contributor, it's just the same argument as "OL was a reach in rd. 1".   Given this team's historic struggles on offense and going into '23 with a top 10 defense the last thing they needed was yet another DL.   Trade down, trade out for OL, really anything to improve a dire Offense was the right move and going into '23 with the same OL as '22 was GM negligence.  

27 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

it's not the mcdonald is a bad player or won't develop into a contributor, it's just the same argument as "OL was a reach in rd. 1".   Given this team's historic struggles on offense and going into '23 with a top 10 defense the last thing they needed was yet another DL.   Trade down, trade out for OL, really anything to improve a dire Offense was the right move and going into '23 with the same OL as '22 was GM negligence.  

Well, they tried to sign Orlando Brown in the offseason, but he supposedly turned down more money from us to stay with the Bengals. They also drafted Tippman with a premium draft pick (good looking player) and drafted a developmental tackle later in the draft (Warren). 

Other than that, it's hard to know where else they could have gotten immediate OL upgrades.  The big issue with the OL this year (again) is the injuries. JD's two biggest OL picks in his tenure here have been AVT and Becton. Both have had multiple season ending injuries with no significant prior injury history. That's on top of crazy things like Brown having been a borderline NFL iron man and then immediately tearing his rotator cuff when he got here. It's the Jets.

The OL issues (mostly) feel like a lot of Jetsy bad luck. 

They should have added another WR - they tried with OBJ but they didn't want to overpay. They should have gone after Hopkins, but weren't interested. At the end of the day, neither one of those guys is moving the needle for this team with Zach Wilson playing. 

The biggest mistake this GM has made is still Zach Wilson by a country mile.