How about solutions - How can this Jet offense score points with what we've got?

Nixhead

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

My solution is to bring up Abanikanda and Brownlee and get them involved in the offense right away. Get some young hungry blood out there. Other teams try to take away Garett Wilson and Breece Hall. Jets have to get other weapons involved. How bout some Jet sweeps. A trick play or 2 - Chiefs do 1 or 2 every game. Get creative. How bout they pound the ball behind now Country Road 77. Do something instead of the same old Zach Wilson in the pocket for a sack. 

I have two ideas. 

Keep the defense on the field at all times.  Have the offense punt on first down.

Or... If they insist on trying to score on offense...

Activate....

KUNTZ !!!

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

My solution is to bring up Abanikanda and Brownlee and get them involved in the offense right away. Get some young hungry blood out there. Other teams try to take away Garett Wilson and Breece Hall. Jets have to get other weapons involved. How bout some Jet sweeps. A trick play or 2 - Chiefs do 1 or 2 every game. Get creative. How bout they pound the ball behind now Country Road 77. Do something instead of the same old Zach Wilson in the pocket for a sack. 

It's so silly. We have a stud wr1 and a great RB you don't need to do anything special just run a competent game plan. Don't run into heavy box. Play action, extra blockers, bring back the 1, 2, reads. It's not difficult. Screens to hall. Simple

Big prob is the lazy play calling. You can't relive upon breece hall breaking a 75 yard TD. Get touches to our good players.

Game planning against the Jets offense is easy: stack the box and bracket GW. We’ve seen the results.

Brownlee needs to replace Lazard who has a 20.9% drop rate and has one of the worse separation rates in the league and use Xavier Gipson more as well. Breece needs to be on the field on 3rd downs to present more of a threat to stress the defense more.

And, Hackett needs to read “Play Calling for Dummies” while paying special attention to the Chapter “Play Calling for QBs who Struggle Past the 1st Read.”

• Upvote 2

one thing that would help? never give the ball to dalvin cook ever again. also, stop taking breece hall off the field and putting in carter in passing and 2 minute drives. breece is our best player on offense and they are constantly taking him off when we need to score or convert for carter.....and carter sucks
breece should be given a breather when he needs it....thats IT!!!! the offense should run through him

also zach's one strngth is throwing on the move, get him into play action bootlegs and just in general design and call plays that move the pocket. stop calling run up the middle with our sh*tty blocking. get breece outside the tackles more often

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lith said:
Stop playing to get to 3rd and manageable.  We have 8 offensive TDs all season.  4 of those have been one play drives, so we only have 4 real TD drives all season.  And none since the KC game.  This team is not built to maintain long drives -- we are going to get a penalty, a sack, a drop, or a run will be stuffed and the drive ends.
Take some deep shots.  Throw the ball down field.  Put some pressure on the defense.   Throw in some trick plays.  We need big plays to win.  Even when we throw on early downs, it is usually short of the sticks and we need 3 positive plays just to get 10 yards.  Try to avoid 3rd down by making plays on first or second.  Get aggressive and if we turn the ball over, so be it.

This... The offense is not consistent enough to play to manage the clock. Need more mid level passing plays.

Also ... Two back or TE sets for better protection ?

Also why not chuck it deep on third down once and a while ... An int on a 40 yard bomb is a punt ... And since we are like 80% likely to punt on the following down anyway ... Wouldn't hurt a few times.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

Game planning against the Jets offense is easy: stack the box and bracket GW. We’ve seen the results.

Brownlee needs to replace Lazard who has a 20.9% drop rate and has one of the worse separation rates in the league and use Xavier Gipson more as well. Breece needs to be on the field on 3rd downs to present more of a threat to stress the defense more.

And, Hackett needs to read “Play Calling for Dummies” while paying special attention to the Chapter “Play Calling for QBs who Struggle Past the 1st Read.”

Sadly 100% correct.. Zach is just too slow to process reads, extremely poor at anticipating safeties, rush, his own receivers. NFL is all about speed. For a qb you have to VERY quickly process where to throw before the window quickly closes. For Zach the game moves way too fast for him. D feasts on slow processors like zach. It’s worth the risk to send in rush on him. While most qbs welcome a rush knowing he will at least have 1 open receiver, Zach does not handle rush well at all because he can’t process where to throw before the rush gets him or pressure him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This... The offense is not consistent enough to play to manage the clock. Need more mid level passing plays.

Also ... Two back or TE sets for better protection ?

Also why not chuck it deep on their down once and a while ... An int on a 40 yard bomb is a punt ... And since we are like 80% likely to punt on the following down anyway ... Would hurt a few times.

to have more mid level passing plays you need 3 things. a line that can block a bit longer to let that play develop, there is no line help coming, so this part isn't fixable. you need pass catchers who can get open, we only really have garrett wilson who can consistently create good separation. we need a qb that can quickly process the defense and where to throw the ball and than deliver an accurate strike. we don't have that until rodgers can play again. so it's not gonna happen with this current oline and qb and we only have one wr who is actually good enough. this offense will continue to be historically bad

• Sympathy 1

Unleash zw. Let him throw the ball let him play and don't keep trying the same thing over and over because it's not working. Is this the miracle solution? Probably not but it's atleast something different and trying something different is better than doing the same thing that doesn't work. We are stuck with him until Rodgers is healthy or the season is over might as well leave no stone unturned and get a full evaluation so there is now shadow of doubt what your next move is next year.

Lazard, and Cobb need to be benched as well as Uzomah. Activate Brownlee, and Charles, and bring up Kuntz. I can't believe last week we had a 3 TE set, and we handed the ball off to Breece and it was still stopped for a yard gain. No matter what we do, unless we fix the OL, this offence is not going to get much better.

Trenches baby, trenches...

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not to poopoo your thread but I dont see how 2 players who've never played a down of NFL Football are going to come in and fix this.  Hall cant find running room, I doubt Izzy can.  Zach cant hit WR's, so I dont see how Brownlee matters. 

And further, they've tried everything!  lol  People wanted tempo and hurry up because Zach plays well that way!  Well, guess what that led to on MNF?  They played tempo and gave Zach complete control at the LOS and he was an absolute disaster, it just led to faster 3 and outs.  They've tried roll outs, well, Zach sucks on the move.  They've tried big packages w/ 3 TE's, well, Zach holds the ball too long for those to work.  They've tried pounding Hall, w/ no success.  They've tried RPO, no huddle, under center, shot gun, pistol, you name it!  Zach Wilson just sucks.   I mean, Hackett is getting the kid into 3rd and 3 and they're converting 17%, the league average is 64% and Zach has taken 9 sacks.  lol  9 sacks w/ 3 yards to gain.  That's unreal.

I know this doesnt provide a solution but I think it needs to said as we drag another OC through the mud because he cant get more out of a historical bust.  The only solution is bench Zach or go full on Wildcat the rest of the season.

Yeah I don't really want to defend Hackett because he's explicitly here as Aaron Rodgers' yes man, but I agree with all this. You can't coach around a complete void at quarterback especially with this shredded offensive line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Unleash zw. Let him throw the ball let him play and don't keep trying the same thing over and over because it's not working. Is this the miracle solution? Probably not but it's atleast something different and trying something different is better than doing the same thing that doesn't work. We are stuck with him until Rodgers is healthy or the season is over might as well leave no stone unturned and get a full evaluation so there is now shadow of doubt what your next move is next year.
He threw loads on Monday. 49 attempts I think it was, 260 yards (fourth highest ever for Zach).

2 FGs.

Jets are 1-3 when Zach throws over 250 yards. And that one win was in 2021.

• Upvote 1

Sadly 100% correct.. Zach is just too slow to process reads, extremely poor at anticipating safeties, rush, his own receivers. NFL is all about speed. For a qb you have to VERY quickly process where to throw before the window quickly closes. For Zach the game moves way too fast for him. D feasts on slow processors like zach. It’s worth the risk to send in rush on him. While most qbs welcome a rush knowing he will at least have 1 open receiver, Zach does not handle rush well at all because he can’t process where to throw before the rush gets him or pressure him.
On Monday you could see that when he could hit his first read the ball was coming out pretty quickly, negating the rush, and pretty well on time / accurate. We had a lot of quick hit short plays that let us move the ball efficiently.

When the first read wasn't there, for whatever reason, things go to pieces. You get the long processing time, scrambling, hoping, lack of decisiveness. Result is incompletions, sacks, fumbles, penalties. These are what kill drives.

You will never get your first read every time. Until Zach can progress from 1 to 2 to 3 in the blink of an eye, we'll get the same output ... some decent throws followed by a negative play which we can't overcome.

• Upvote 1

Couple if things…

1. We are fans. We’re not in payroll and have no hand in solutions. We just react and want.

2. The solution to scoring points is the sane in this thread as all the others. Bench Zach and see what improves. Scientific method. Prove or disprove the prevailing hypothesis.

3. Im guessing we’ll still suck.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not to poopoo your thread but I dont see how 2 players who've never played a down of NFL Football are going to come in and fix this.  Hall cant find running room, I doubt Izzy can.  Zach cant hit WR's, so I dont see how Brownlee matters. 

And further, they've tried everything!  lol  People wanted tempo and hurry up because Zach plays well that way!  Well, guess what that led to on MNF?  They played tempo and gave Zach complete control at the LOS and he was an absolute disaster, it just led to faster 3 and outs.  They've tried roll outs, well, Zach sucks on the move.  They've tried big packages w/ 3 TE's, well, Zach holds the ball too long for those to work.  They've tried pounding Hall, w/ no success.  They've tried RPO, no huddle, under center, shot gun, pistol, you name it!  Zach Wilson just sucks.   I mean, Hackett is getting the kid into 3rd and 3 and they're converting 17%, the league average is 64% and Zach has taken 9 sacks.  lol  9 sacks w/ 3 yards to gain.  That's unreal.

I know this doesnt provide a solution but I think it needs to said as we drag another OC through the mud because he cant get more out of a historical bust.  The only solution is bench Zach or go full on Wildcat the rest of the season.

I mean, what did they do in the KC game? It wasn’t perfect but it looked like at least like an average offense that week. Why can’t they keep doing that??

I mean, what did they do in the KC game? It wasn’t perfect but it looked like at least like an average offense that week. Why can’t they keep doing that??
There was timing in that game .. that has evaporated...

3 or 5 step get the ball out

12 hours ago, Lith said:

Stop playing to get to 3rd and manageable.  We have 8 offensive TDs all season.  4 of those have been one play drives, so we only have 4 real TD drives all season.  And none since the KC game.  This team is not built to maintain long drives -- we are going to get a penalty, a sack, a drop, or a run will be stuffed and the drive ends.

Take some deep shots.  Throw the ball down field.  Put some pressure on the defense.   Throw in some trick plays.  We need big plays to win.  Even when we throw on early downs, it is usually short of the sticks and we need 3 positive plays just to get 10 yards.  Try to avoid 3rd down by making plays on first or second.  Get aggressive and if we turn the ball over, so be it.

If we start throwing downfield a lot more (or even 10-15 yards), our running game will improve quite a bit too!