How the coddling of Aaron Rodgers is emblamatic of the bigger issues with the Jets organization.

Alka

It looks like they coddled him and not so bad when you try to sign a superstar. You let them have a big say in personnel moves, CS and play calling or they don't sign with you. The only reason Hackett is here and won't be fired is because of AR. It's not so bad we see it in other sports esp the NBA. I guess you could say you're letting the inmates run the asylum. But in our case I think in terms of football (and football only) Rodgers is smart experienced and should be listened to. And if he was playing we'd be better then what we've seen. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

It looks like they coddled him and not so bad when you try to sign a superstar. You let them have a big say in personnel moves, CS and play calling or they don't sign with you. The only reason Hackett is here and won't be fired is because of AR. It's not so bad we see it in other sports esp the NBA. I guess you could say you're letting the inmates run the asylum. But in our case I think in terms of football (and football only) Rodgers is smart experienced and should be listened to. And if he was playing we'd be better then what we've seen. 

I have a hard time disagreeing with you.  But I'm looking at our team right now, and the 3 offensive players we brought in to help the team, has in my view, hurt the team.  Our offense is pathetic, and if it were only Zach Wilson to blame, then there would be nothing to talk about.  But we are short of good receivers and short of quality offensive linemen.  Cobb, Lazaard and Billy Turner.  For me, there is a direct correlation.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I listed  two big comparable moves made recently with success to show this is not the case.

When Brady went to Tampa they brought in Gronk and that is it, they did not bring in countless terrible players and a terrible coach.

Same thing with Stafford, they traded for him and brought in basically no one from Detorit

The Jets made the team a fair bit worse than last years team to accommodate Rodgers.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The op is correct.  Because of Rodgers we have:

An overpaid over termed jag in Lazard as a #2 WR

A guy in Cobb who was done 2 to 3 years ago that just took up a lot of snaps early in the year.

Billy Turner, probably the worst olineman on the team.

Delvin Cook a guy who looks done signed to an over priced contract.

Tim Boyle, unbelievably still the backup QB

Nathaniel Hackett an oc not one team would have come within a mile of for an oc job after his Denver stint.

And to make matters worse many of these moves have taken snaps away from other players and shaped things such as our FA strategy and the draft.

I have a lot of respect for you in general, so I feel that your post here is a confirmation for me as to why I feel the way I do.  It is just baffling to me, that the love fest for Rodgers allowed the Jets to a small degree, turn over all sense of good decision making to whatever Rodgers wants.  It is akin to when you are young, and are infatuated with a pretty girl, and you might do things and act in a way that will try to make the girl be attracted to you.  Whatever it takes, seems to be what the Jets leadership decided.  Aaron Rodgers is very smart, but I think he is also very loyal, and perhaps his loyalty to his past teammates, have interfered with his intellect, or his better judgement in this case.

22 minutes ago, Alka said:

I guess your point is that there is nothing we can do about it, so just accept it.  I try not to live my life that way, but if it works for you, good for you!

Get bile in your throat every day for a team that has won the division twice in what, 45 years? 

you live your life tough guy !

what choice do you really have?

The giants bandwagon has openings 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Get bile in your throat every day for a team that has won the division twice in what, 45 years? 

you live your life tough guy !

what choice do you really have?

The giants bandwagon has openings 

I am forever a Jets fan, which is one of my major flaws.  I was at the AFC Championship game in 1969 between the Jets and the Raiders, and watched a very tough Jets team with Joe Namath, beat a very tough Raiders team to go to the Superbowl.  

I have been sucked in forever as a hopeless Jets fan, and unfortunately, I will die as a hopeless Jets fan.  

• Sympathy 1

The reason the Jets organization coddled Rodgers was because the organization has failed to produce good football for years.  It was an effort to do something different.   The question is if you brought in Douglas and Saleh to build this the right way why the need to make such a radical change?  

I think the organization including Douglas and Saleh thought the team was circling the drain.   Bringing in Rodgers and the empowering of Rodgers to get him was simply a hail mary.  

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The CODDLING of Zach Wilson is the most ****ed up thing I have ever seen in Professional Sports. He is given a job he never earned. He is never held accountable by his employer. He has failed to perform at an acceptable level, yet they refuse to even bring in any other QB aside from Big Brother Aaron (Who also happens to be a Future HOF'er and 4X MVP) that might even threaten his fragile ego. 

The way he is treated by the team and many "fans" is insane. People are now supposed to pretend he was never the Second overall pick. We have to pretend he's "basically a rookie". He is now just supposed to be considered "just a back up QB" when he was handed the starting job for 2 years, sh*t the bed constantly and consistently, and is now "doing fine - 'hes just the backup'"....

The kid is an EPIC LEVEL BUST,a RYAN LEAF level bust without the personality disorders or addictions... hell, its even worse that Zach is apparently actually TRYING HIS HARDEST and is still as sh*t as Jamarcus and Leaf.... but he is just kept in place, his name written in permanent marker as the starter while every other player on the roster is held accountable, gets their errors pointed out by Saleh, and are at risk of losing their jobs.

Tanzel Smart was RELEASED by the team, not because of performance, but because of the roster configuration. Meanwhile, Zach Wilson pisses down his leg at every opportunity, is unable to convert 3rd Downs, hasn't thrown a Touchdown in what, 3 weeks... yet there he is, the only guy above criticism or accountability, tossed back out there to waste another year of 52 other players lives.

Its pathetic.

Aaron Rodgers is being "coddled"? GTFO. 

People here are crying about our Corners and Quinnen Williams, who are the stars of a top 10 defense, playing literally without an offense to take ANY heat off of them... but its Rodgers being coddled? FFS, what trash.

Wilson is a CANCER on this organization, and is destroying any semblance of respectability or competitiveness, and he's treated like a ******* Special Needs kid in Pop Warner by some.

This place... 

rodgers, Wilson, JD, Hackett, throw them all in a bag and beat them with a bat because they are all the problem here

• Upvote 1

Another thing I that I remembered the other day:

Remember when rodgers did his first Pat show after the trade and pat kept saying “ MAN RODGERS THIS IS EVERYTHING YOU WANTED!” And Pat kept repeating that s***

This was always about rodgers and his ego and not the NYJ. 

Oh and it’s also super duper cringe thinking about all those quotes from the HC, DC and GM sucking up rodgers every time he made a throw in practice 🙄🙄🙄

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The reason the Jets organization coddled Rodgers was because the organization has failed to produce good football for years.  It was an effort to do something different.   The question is if you brought in Douglas and Saleh to build this the right way why the need to make such a radical change?  

Specifically, the years 2019-Present. 

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think the organization including Douglas and Saleh thought the team was circling the drain.   Bringing in Rodgers and the empowering of Rodgers to get him was simply a hail mary.  

It's not that they thought the team was circling the drain, it was. 

Exclusively because of mismanagement. THEIR mismanagement. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Time for “the right way” ran out after the collapse last year. 

29 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Time for “the right way” ran out after the collapse last year. 

The "Right way" would have been simply releasing Wilson, cut their losses, and find another serviceable QB while rebooting the search for a long term guy.

This team with Baker ******* Mayfield would have been a lot of fun, and I can't STAND Mayfield...

"NEVER REINFORCE FAILURE"

-Sun Tzu

• Upvote 3

The Jets organization is a mess from top to bottom again.  

We have some exceptional players on defense - that had a two year window to get it right...

And did an absolute awful job at it....

They'll take a shot next year with Rodgers again - but it's not going to go anywhere...and we'll need to start over again in 2025.   Nothing changes until Woody is gone.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I said it the day we signed him:  Aaron Rodgers will cost Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh their jobs.

Zach Wilson will cost JD and Saleh their jobs. Jets offense, while still not great, would be way better with a QB like Dobbs starting, and probably enough to take advantage of this defense. Instead, they doubled down on him and now it's costing them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hex said:

Zach Wilson will cost JD and Saleh their jobs. Jets offense, while still not great, would be way better with a QB like Dobbs starting, and probably enough to take advantage of this defense. Instead, they doubled down on him and now it's costing them.

Wilson is the problem here.  I have little doubt that Douglas knows Wilson sucks, that’s why they got rodgers.  If Douglas stays, Wilson is gone.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Wilson is the problem here.  I have little doubt that Douglas knows Wilson sucks, that’s why they got rodgers.  If Douglas stays, Wilson is gone.  

If JD "knows" this then why on Earth would you pencil him as as a back up to the starter??? For what JD paid Cook, he could have brought in at least 4 QB's that could have competed with Sack and definitely would have earned the 2nd spot on the QB depth chart. He didn't bring in even one. 

Worse than that, he brings in Boyle, who he knows won't win the spot, but even that doesn't matter anyway, because neither one of them were showcased in the pre-season. There was no competition for that back up spot, by design. 

This is total malfeasance. 

Almost every QB I can think of that was available during the off-season has started a game for the teams that have signed them and have actually performed well, even winning games. At the very least, they all have better stats than Sach. 

• Upvote 1

The problems here are some bad moves by JD without Woody, Woody’s input in terms if drafting Wilson, keeping Wilson and getting Rodgers, and Saleh not being an offensive coach. 

The only thing that is surviving is Woody. 

We can complain all we want.  Next season is the same thing, doubled down.  Rodgers did not give back money.  He spread it out.   

JD and Saleh get extensions they don’t deserve if it works.   I don’t think it does.   If it fails again, the whole thing is blown up again. 

I don’t know if Wilson is in the team next year. 

• Upvote 1