How the coddling of Aaron Rodgers is emblamatic of the bigger issues with the Jets organization.

Alka

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

The problems here are some bad moves by JD without Woody, Woody’s input in terms if drafting Wilson, keeping Wilson and getting Rodgers, and Saleh not being an offensive coach. 

The only thing that is surviving is Woody. 

We can complain all we want.  Next season is the same thing, doubled down.  Rodgers did not give back money.  He spread it out.   

JD and Saleh get extensions they don’t deserve if it works.   I don’t think it does.   If it fails again, the whole thing is blown up again. 

I don’t know if Wilson is in the team next year. 

After the sh*t show I saw last season, and then seeing nobody sh*tcanned except a scapegoat, MLF, there is no doubt in my mind Zach, Salad and Fat Joe are back next year. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

The Jets not only wanted Aaron Rodgers to be a Jet, not only wanted Rodgers to be a happy Jet, but also wanted Rodgers to get as much as he wanted to insure that he is happy. 

But, by doing so, the Jets turned a blind eye to the ultimate goal of the organization, which is to facilitate moves to elevate the team to a Superbowl caliber organization.

No one wanted Randall Cobb, since his best days were way behind him, but Aaron wanted him, so a valuable roster spot was given to him.  Billy Turner, (Turner the turnstile), was a poorly rated offensive tackle that Aaron wanted on the Jets, and of course, another valuable roster spot was opened up for him.  Allen Lazard, who in my humble opinion, is a #3 wide receiver, not a #2, was hotly pursued by the Jets in order to make Aaron Rodgers happy, and was signed to a huge 4 year deal, worthy of a #2 receiver. 

Now, Cobb has not done much, Billy Turner has been a major disappointment, and Allen Lazard has been trotted out as a #2 receiver, and has been a major disappointment up to now.

Had Rodgers desires been ignored, the team might now be in much better shape.  To me, the way Aaron Rodgers has been coddled, is emblamatic of the bigger issue with the team, which is to embrace high draft picks, even when it is obvious that it is time to move on, and take out the trash, and replace the trash with solutions, not continue to keep the trash and hope that the trash can turn into diamonds.  Zach Wilson is trash, and the team continues to coddle him, hoping that he turns into a diamond.

The Jets do not deserve to go to the playoffs, because they continue to operate on hope, and as we all know, hope is not a strategy.  Hope is a stradegy for failure, and that is why the Jets will continue to not make the playoffs since 2010.

They turned a blind eye to the ultimate goal of a Superbowl? What was getting Aaron Rodgers? 

And this team is struggling because he signed a WR 3,4 and back up T? Sigh...Okay.

• WTF? 1

This board is the epitomy of being able to second guess decisions to make your point, regardless of how the circumstances have changed.

This thread focuses on the Jets "Coddling" of Aaron Rogers by signing Billy Turner, Randall Cobb and Allen Lazard.

So first off - in what world does the 6th WR and 7th OL signings indicate some sort of coddling.  Are Cobb and Turner overpaid?  Now - dont get me wrong, if I had my choice I would have kept Nate Herbig, but we have no idea why they chose Turner over someone like him but at the end of the day JD signed a versatile backup Olineman.  Cobb was here to help the WRs learn Rogers' system and while I would like him to be cut as well, I hardly think his signing set back the organization.

As for Lazard, he was NOT signed to be our #2 WR.  We had a #2 in Corey Davis who unexpectedly retired. On top of that, we tried to upgrade the WR spot with a good blocking WR with size.  He has absolutely underperformed but he is paid similarly to Russel Gage, Jakobi Myers, Marcus Valdez-Scantling, etc. 

It sucks that we lost AVT (again), Schweitzer, and McGovern but is it JD's fault that Saleh, Keith Carter and Hackett decided to play Turner at RT and give him zero TE help against Joey Bosa?  Didnt he perform exactly as we would think in that situation - really poorly?

I think people should consider their expectations of a player before judging how they were a failed signing.   Did anyone here expect Billy Turner to come in and hold down RT on an island against top passrushers, because I sure didnt and neither did the league.  If the did, he wouldnt have signed for essentially the minimum.  

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

This board is the epitomy of being able to second guess decisions to make your point, regardless of how the circumstances have changed.

This thread focuses on the Jets "Coddling" of Aaron Rogers by signing Billy Turner, Randall Cobb and Allen Lazard.

So first off - in what world does the 6th WR and 7th OL signings indicate some sort of coddling.  Are Cobb and Turner overpaid?  Now - dont get me wrong, if I had my choice I would have kept Nate Herbig, but we have no idea why they chose Turner over someone like him but at the end of the day JD signed a versatile backup Olineman.  Cobb was here to help the WRs learn Rogers' system and while I would like him to be cut as well, I hardly think his signing set back the organization.

As for Lazard, he was NOT signed to be our #2 WR.  We had a #2 in Corey Davis who unexpectedly retired. On top of that, we tried to upgrade the WR spot with a good blocking WR with size.  He has absolutely underperformed but he is paid similarly to Russel Gage, Jakobi Myers, Marcus Valdez-Scantling, etc. 

It sucks that we lost AVT (again), Schweitzer, and McGovern but is it JD's fault that Saleh, Keith Carter and Hackett decided to play Turner at RT and give him zero TE help against Joey Bosa?  Didnt he perform exactly as we would think in that situation - really poorly?

I think people should consider their expectations of a player before judging how they were a failed signing.   Did anyone here expect Billy Turner to come in and hold down RT on an island against top passrushers, because I sure didnt and neither did the league.  If the did, he wouldnt have signed for essentially the minimum.  

And at the end of the day results is all that matters, this is a losing GM period, what you are doing is called making excuses

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wilson is the problem here.  I have little doubt that Douglas knows Wilson sucks, that’s why they got rodgers. 

Douglas knows Wilson sucks. After all, he was in charge when the Jets moved on from Zach, long before they ever reached out to Rodgers. 

To paraphrase your line, "Saleh is the problem here. I have little doubt that Douglas knows Saleh sucks, that's why they got Rodgers".

If Douglas thought Saleh could run a SB-contending NFL offense with a League average QB, we could have just signed Carr.

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

And at the end of the day results is all that matters, this is a losing GM period, what you are doing is called making excuses

There is a difference between excuses and reasons.  

Has JD whiffed on QB with Zach - YES, i dont think anyone on this board would argue with that. 

Has he had bad veteran free agent signings, going all the way back to Ryan Kahil up to Dalvin - yes. 

Did he also sign guys like DJ Reed and Quinton Jefferson who have been great- yep.  

Did he draft busts like Mims - yes.  Did he also draft a young core of Sauce, JJ, Breece, and GW - yes.

Has he presided over a team that for the first time since i can ever remember has developed guys like Huff, Tony Adams, Quincy and JFM?  

I really wonder for all the "JD sucks, look at his record" what you want.  Do you have a GM in mind who would want to work for Woody?  Do you know of a GM who hits on 85% of his picks/singings cause I sure dont.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

There is a difference between excuses and reasons.  

Has JD whiffed on QB with Zach - YES, i dont think anyone on this board would argue with that. 

Has he had bad veteran free agent signings, going all the way back to Ryan Kahil up to Dalvin - yes. 

Did he also sign guys like DJ Reed and Quinton Jefferson who have been great- yep.  

Did he draft busts like Mims - yes.  Did he also draft a young core of Sauce, JJ, Breece, and GW - yes.

Has he presided over a team that for the first time since i can ever remember has developed guys like Huff, Tony Adams, Quincy and JFM?  

I really wonder for all the "JD sucks, look at his record" what you want.  Do you have a GM in mind who would want to work for Woody?  Do you know of a GM who hits on 85% of his picks/singings cause I sure dont.

The defense is great, the offense is garbage. That's 2023.

From 2019 to 2022, the defense was ok and offense was garbage.

He's been GM for 5 years and the offense is garbage. 

You don't get a pass for building half a team and having a losing record every year and no playoff appearances. 

I think he needs to go, but rest easy, he'll be here next year and the Jets will repeat another year of the last five.

• Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Making a flaky diva your de facto VP of football operations was always a terrible idea. This was obvious since long before we actually consummated the trade.

They finally managed to get something right. Albeit in the Jetsiest way possible.

The classic Parcells rule #1 is that somebody has to be in charge and everybody has to know who it is. The Jets have consistently managed to completely screw up the reasonably simple proposition of pick one person and have the buck stop with that person. Firing Mangini and keeping Tannenbaum. Firing Tannenbaum and not Rex. Korn Ferry. Hiring Bowles before Maccagnan. Maccagnan vs. Gase. Douglas getting a year zero. The coach just took the fifth on why the quarterback is playing.

Having a goofball on ayahuasca in charge is better than what they'd have done if they had a choice at this point.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

so now maybe you guys see that Carr was the right choice. none of these guys on the team, plus Zach Wilson would be gone. no reason to keep him on this Roster for one second more with Carr getting a 4 year contract. 

and @Alka i agree with everything you said but im going to wait on Lazzard only because i would like to see what he looks like with a real QB throwing to him, not the worst QB ever!.

we will see if he cant get open or is dropping passes next year with Rodgers, but otherwise spot on man!!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

The reason the Jets organization coddled Rodgers was because the organization has failed to produce good football for years.  It was an effort to do something different.   The question is if you brought in Douglas and Saleh to build this the right way why the need to make such a radical change?  

I think the organization including Douglas and Saleh thought the team was circling the drain.   Bringing in Rodgers and the empowering of Rodgers to get him was simply a hail mary.  

Simple, they whiffed on Zach so bad he was and still is sinking their entire rebuild.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

They turned a blind eye to the ultimate goal of a Superbowl? What was getting Aaron Rodgers? 

And this team is struggling because he signed a WR 3,4 and back up T? Sigh...Okay.

I don't know if a $44M contract qualifies as only a #3 wide receiver.  I think a $44M contract should be designated more for a #2 wide receiver.  And Cobb, isn't good enough to be a #4 wide receiver,  and the backup T is not good enough to be on this team.

Why????

Because after players get hurt, (which they did), you need these backups to step up in the starting role and be a factor to help win ball games.  Both Cobb and Turner aren't good enough, and they both took up valuable spots that should have went to others.  Nate Herbig was a quality guard last year, and we let him walk.  Why?  Probably because they needed the roster spot and money to sign Turner.  That was a bad move.  Cobb should be out of this league.  Roster spots are valuable, just look at Gibson.  He was the last player to make the roster, and he has been instrumental in helping the Jets win ballgames.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The CODDLING of Zach Wilson is the most ****ed up thing I have ever seen in Professional Sports. He is given a job he never earned. He is never held accountable by his employer. He has failed to perform at an acceptable level, yet they refuse to even bring in any other QB aside from Big Brother Aaron (Who also happens to be a Future HOF'er and 4X MVP) that might even threaten his fragile ego. 

The way he is treated by the team and many "fans" is insane. People are now supposed to pretend he was never the Second overall pick. We have to pretend he's "basically a rookie". He is now just supposed to be considered "just a back up QB" when he was handed the starting job for 2 years, sh*t the bed constantly and consistently, and is now "doing fine - 'hes just the backup'"....

The kid is an EPIC LEVEL BUST,a RYAN LEAF level bust without the personality disorders or addictions... hell, its even worse that Zach is apparently actually TRYING HIS HARDEST and is still as sh*t as Jamarcus and Leaf.... but he is just kept in place, his name written in permanent marker as the starter while every other player on the roster is held accountable, gets their errors pointed out by Saleh, and are at risk of losing their jobs.

Tanzel Smart was RELEASED by the team, not because of performance, but because of the roster configuration. Meanwhile, Zach Wilson pisses down his leg at every opportunity, is unable to convert 3rd Downs, hasn't thrown a Touchdown in what, 3 weeks (No, Breece taking a panic check down and literally beating an entire defense by himself from the middle of the field doesn't get counted as a "Zach Stat")... yet there he is, the only guy above criticism or accountability, tossed back out there to waste another year of 52 other players lives.

Its pathetic.

Aaron Rodgers is being "coddled"? GTFO. 

People here are crying about our Corners and Quinnen Williams, who are the stars of a top 10 defense, playing literally without an offense to take ANY heat off of them... but its Rodgers being coddled? FFS, what trash.

Wilson is a CANCER on this organization, and is destroying any semblance of respectability or competitiveness, and he's treated like a ******* Special Needs kid in Pop Warner by some.

This place... 

You know, both can be true at the same time.  Of course Zach Wilson has been coddled, but so has Aaron Rodgers.  And the Jets aren't signing players to make Zach Wilson happy, but they did for Rodgers.  Players who weren't good enough.

Has Wilson been coddled more than Rodgers?  Okay, you win!!!  I agree with that wholeheartedly.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

They finally managed to get something right. Albeit in the Jetsiest way possible.

The classic Parcells rule #1 is that somebody has to be in charge and everybody has to know who it is. The Jets have consistently managed to completely screw up the reasonably simple proposition of pick one person and have the buck stop with that person. Firing Mangini and keeping Tannenbaum. Firing Tannenbaum and not Rex. Korn Ferry. Hiring Bowles before Maccagnan. Maccagnan vs. Gase. Douglas getting a year zero. The coach just took the fifth on why the quarterback is playing.

Having a goofball on ayahuasca in charge is better than what they'd have done if they had a choice at this point.

reading this was a real looking-into-the-abyss moment for me

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2023 at 12:51 PM, Biggs said:

The reason the Jets organization coddled Rodgers was because the organization has failed to produce good football for years.  It was an effort to do something different.   The question is if you brought in Douglas and Saleh to build this the right way why the need to make such a radical change?  

I think the organization including Douglas and Saleh thought the team was circling the drain.   Bringing in Rodgers and the empowering of Rodgers to get him was simply a hail mary.  

..because they failed and so they threw a hail mary because the team they build couldn't make it out of the basement.