Zach Wilson vs Sam Darnold and Zach’s off-season trade value

9 minutes ago, freestater said:

Sam didn't have half of the offensive talent available to Zach. Neither are particularly good but Darnold was pretty much left to drown on his own and Zach's been coddled his time here

I disagree. The 2020 Jets had a much better OL and better depth at skill positions. The Jets offense literally has 2 NFL caliber starters. Plus I think Gase is better than Hackett. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 4
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I dont know about identical.  Sam has 8 more games below but...Zach aint catching up to him in TD's and yards in 8 games.  He'd have to throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's a game.

Sam sucked but he was still a much better player and he you cant ignore he played on some of the worst rosters I've ever seen w/ some of the worst coaching of all time.

Sam Darnold Passing Statistics for Career Games 2018 to 2020

Games Passing   Passing  
Year Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds Sk% NY/A ANY/A 4QC GWD

2018-2020 NYJ 38 38 13-25-0 729 1219 59.8 8097 45 3.7 39 3.2 92 6.6 5.9 11.1 213.1 78.6   98 650 7.4 5.65 5.01    

Zach Wilson Passing Statistics for Career Games 2021 to 2023

Games Passing   Passing  
Year Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds Sk% NY/A ANY/A 4QC GWD

2021-2023 NYJ 30 29 11-18-0 505 892 56.6 5622 20 2.2 23 2.6 79 6.3 5.6 11.1 187.4 72.3   98 779 9.9 4.89 4.25    

The real question is: Who is the more gooder kid? 

• Haha 1

When Jamal Adams was calling to be traded, we ALL felt a 4th or MAYBE a 3rd round pick is all Joe Douglas could get, after all, Adams demanded to be traded. NO ONE saw two firsts coming. BANG!

Similar with Sam Darnold, worse QB in the league. No other team would trade a wet sock for him. Then BANG! A 2nd and a 4th. Crazy.

Now it's ZW's turn. No team would trade a wet sock for him.....

That being said, I would NOT be shocked if JD grabs another 2nd and 4th, or even more.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Honestly I don’t need anything in return. I’d be perfectly happy if they just cut Zach Wilson outright. Get him off this team.

If someone is stupid enough to trade a 5th or 6th rounder for him I take it and run. Otherwise just cut him and move on. 

Even the waiver wire doesn't want him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't see that kind of deal happening again.  In recent years several busted #1's have been traded, with less and less reward for the team receiving the QB.

I expect someone will believe they can rebuild and rehabilitate Zach Wilson, so a trade this coming offseason would not shock me.  But I'd expect it to be of a somewhat low value, lower than Sam (who played for a MUCH less talented Jets team, and produced overall better).

Conditional 6th, that could elevate to a 5th if he meets some criteria.  Something like that I'd guess.  Even this may be too optimistic, honestly, but I'd take a 5th or 6th for him.   

The difference here is in the college scouting.  Darnold was considered to be an elite qb coming out of usc.  When he didn’t pan out on the jets, most of the blame was assigned to the jets.  But with Wilson, he was never considered to be that level of prospect coming out of byu.  As some have said here, the key thing is getting rid of him, bringing in a competent backup and drafting a guy to groom.  They need 2 new QBs next year not 1.

• Upvote 4

Darnold had more football skills in the sense that he had a much larger repertoire of plays that he could reliably execute, including some relatively advanced concepts (looking off defenders etc).  He was also significantly better in the pocket (with much better pocket awareness). 

I'd say ZW has slightly higher physical talent...  With a much more compact throwing motion, and elite elusiveness.  He should overall be a much better runner, even though for whatever reason they rarely use him that way.

Both players have a laundry list of faults that are too lengthy to list.

I'd say a big difference is that ZW has been significantly constrained by the coaching staff (more or less since game 3 or 4 of his career), whereas Darnold ran a more complete and unhindered playbook.  This speaks to the relative confidence the coaching staff has in them.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

When Jamal Adams was calling to be traded, we ALL felt a 4th or MAYBE a 3rd round pick is all Joe Douglas could get, after all, Adams demanded to be traded. NO ONE saw two firsts coming. BANG!

Similar with Sam Darnold, worse QB in the league. No other team would trade a wet sock for him. Then BANG! A 2nd and a 4th. Crazy.

That being said, I would NOT be shocked if JD grabs another 2nd and 4th, or even more.

I agree. I was blown away by both trades. The Jamal Adams one was mind boggling. 

43 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Honestly I don’t need anything in return. I’d be perfectly happy if they just cut Zach Wilson outright. Get him off this team.

If someone is stupid enough to trade a 5th or 6th rounder for him I take it and run. Otherwise just cut him and move on. 

The value in trading Wilson is getting someone to take his salary/cap space.   Quite frankly, the Jets should GIVE a pick to get Wilson off the team and get rid of his cap space. 

The Jets are better off limping along with Rodgers with two more years while they find another QB.  

The Darnold trade was a Super Score.  That is not happening again.  

i thought Darnold would be better with the 49ers.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I dont know about identical.  Sam has 8 more games below but...Zach aint catching up to him in TD's and yards in 8 games.  He'd have to throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's a game.

Sam sucked but he was still a much better player and he you cant ignore he played on some of the worst rosters I've ever seen w/ some of the worst coaching of all time.

Games Passing   Passing  

2018-2020 NYJ 38 38 13-25-0 729 1219 59.8 8097 45 3.7 39 3.2 92 6.6 5.9 11.1 213.1 78.6   98 650 7.4 5.65 5.01    

Games Passing   Passing  

2021-2023 NYJ 30 29 11-18-0 505 892 56.6 5622 20 2.2 23 2.6 79 6.3 5.6 11.1 187.4 72.3   98 779 9.9 4.89 4.25    

but loooooooook Zach doesnt throw INTs...hes goooood.... lol

seriously, despite that he has less TDs then INTs in 29 games.... thats sad.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GreekJetinPatLand said:

Interestingly enough Zachs year 3 stats are almost identical to Sam. Both players saddled with really bad offensive talent and coaching. 

I still can’t believe Carolina traded a 2nd a 4th for Sam. Do you think there is a team that values Zach at all? Lance netted a 4th so I think that’s the goal. 

Someone gonna have to splain this to me!  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Games Passing   Passing  

Games Passing   Passing  

I’m just referring to his third season vs ZWs third season. Almost identical completion %, YPA, Passer rating, and QBR. 

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I think everyone was expecting at least a 1 for Adams. He was on a HOF trajectory as a safety.