Jalen Ramsey: My coach is weird

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

McDaniel is very cool and fun but he’s never going to win sh*t as a head coach. That team is all hat and no cattle. That said, I’d like to see what McDaniel could do with a real quarterback. 

We’ll see how they invest assets going forward. If they do it in a prudent manner they can build up where he can’t impact things as a coach, hang on to the guys they’ve got, and end up being pretty dangerous. Things could also completely fall apart when Hill leaves or loses a step.

Jets obviously have never done that. Hire defensive coach, let him over-invest in his favorite position group (at least this time it’s a premium position?), rinse, repeat.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

We’ll see how they invest assets going forward. If they do it in a prudent manner they can build up where he can’t impact things as a coach, hang on to the guys they’ve got, and end up being pretty dangerous. Things could also completely fall apart when Hill leaves or loses a step.

Jets obviously have never done that. Hire defensive coach, let him over-invest in his favorite position group (at least this time it’s a premium position?), rinse, repeat.

I think they’re dangerous now, but they’re also banging their head into that Shanahan ceiling where the QB can’t overcome having the scheme choked off against plus competition. I’d guess they were hoping Fangio would be the de facto bad cop co-head coach, but he seems semi-retired.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

By the way, where do you currently fall in the Drake Maye v Caleb QB1 debate?

What’s interesting is how they try to make McDaniels look like he fits in with the South FL culture, dressing him in brown tinted sunglasses that are too big for his head. It’s weird how they try to make him fit a certain mold. He is a smart coach but without Hill they are a .500 team.  With all the shtick all I see is 

image.gif.63704ab445d307d62472dd1c923553b0.gif

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think they’re dangerous now, but they’re also banging their head into that Shanahan ceiling where the QB can’t overcome having the scheme choked off against plus competition. I’d guess they were hoping Fangio would be the de facto bad cop co-head coach, but he seems semi-retired.

I think they’re kind of soft up front on both sides but with McDaniel being so good at run scheming in particular, if they beef up there on both sides you lose a little of the softness of the team without taking away what the coach is good at - frankly complimenting it in some ways. But I wonder how much the run game stuff is reliant on the gravitational pull Hill has - Waddle is good too but not the same level. In some ways it’d be like KC reinventing themselves except Miami is run first at their core and doesn’t have the HOF QB.

I’m jealous of the focus on fast running backs because I think it’s a market inefficiency and I wish that Hall pointed the Jets to that.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t watched enough of either. It sounds like a cop out but I think you’ll be able to appreciate. I’ve ragged on quarterbacks who aren’t worthy of going high in the draft getting picked in the top five for a while. Either would be fine at two, no questions asked. Don’t remember when I last felt that way but it was before I realized how ****** most quarterbacks drafted second or third turned out. If the Jets had the second pick in this draft I’d want whichever of those two was there versus 2021 where I wanted a trade down or a position player - and Harrison is a pretty high end consolation prize to pass on.

Williams when I watched him before this season struck me as someone whose brain moved faster than other folks in college and the arm talent is for real. I think he’s probably a little bored and his supporting cast isn’t great - but the turnover stuff is still scary. Maye I like too, lower ceiling higher floor I think. Modern quarterback, good processor, can move, great arm, all that good stuff. I like that neither of them plays with a supporting cast that elevates them. All that said I don’t love excuses for turnovers so gun to my head I’d probably lean Maye.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, derp said:

They're gonna have to pay Tua this offseason which is gonna hurt with some of the other contracts they have.. and given that McDaniel has pumped up Tua almost as much as Saleh has pumped up Zach.. his deal is not going to be cheap which I think will be a huge mistake for them. He's an efficient guy who can distribute the ball to playmakers, but that seems like something you can get from a lot of 'mid' QBs. 

Personally, I'd roll the dice and draft a 1st or 2nd round QB.. let him sit behind Tua next season and not put the team over barrel for a guy that wilts in the biggest moments. However, that organization fully believes in him and they're gonna pay him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, derp said:

I think they’re kind of soft up front on both sides but with McDaniel being so good at run scheming in particular, if they beef up there on both sides you lose a little of the softness of the team without taking away what the coach is good at - frankly complimenting it in some ways. But I wonder how much the run game stuff is reliant on the gravitational pull Hill has - Waddle is good too but not the same level. In some ways it’d be like KC reinventing themselves except Miami is run first at their core and doesn’t have the HOF QB.

I’m jealous of the focus on fast running backs because I think it’s a market inefficiency and I wish that Hall pointed the Jets to that.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t watched enough of either. It sounds like a cop out but I think you’ll be able to appreciate. I’ve ragged on quarterbacks who aren’t worthy of going high in the draft getting picked in the top five for a while. Either would be fine at two, no questions asked. Don’t remember when I last felt that way but it was before I realized how ****** most quarterbacks drafted second or third turned out. If the Jets had the second pick in this draft I’d want whichever of those two was there versus 2021 where I wanted a trade down or a position player - and Harrison is a pretty high end consolation prize to pass on.

Williams when I watched him before this season struck me as someone whose brain moved faster than other folks in college and the arm talent is for real. I think he’s probably a little bored and his supporting cast isn’t great - but the turnover stuff is still scary. Maye I like too, lower ceiling higher floor I think. Modern quarterback, good processor, can move, great arm, all that good stuff. I like that neither of them plays with a supporting cast that elevates them. All that said I don’t love excuses for turnovers so gun to my head I’d probably lean Maye.

Have you had the chance to see the quarterback from Tulane the last couple years?

Pratt.  He's my 2-4 round sleeper. 

Very curious of your opinion. 

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

They're gonna have to pay Tua this offseason which is gonna hurt with some of the other contracts they have.. and given that McDaniel has pumped up Tua almost as much as Saleh has pumped up Zach.. his deal is not going to be cheap which I think will be a huge mistake for them. He's an efficient guy who can distribute the ball to playmakers, but that seems like something you can get from a lot of 'mid' QBs. 

Personally, I'd roll the dice and draft a 1st or 2nd round QB.. let him sit behind Tua next season and not put the team over barrel for a guy that wilts in the biggest moments. However, that organization fully believes in him and they're gonna pay him. 

They don’t have to pay Tua. They might, we’ll see. It’ll be interesting what they do there. Regardless, when I said assets I meant draft capital. Don’t think teams really find difference making players in FA.

You compare the pumping up to Saleh pumping up Wilson but I don’t think Saleh likes Wilson at all, he was just forced on him and Saleh isn’t going to publicly undermine his boss. Saleh’s face when Rodgers got hurt tells me everything I need to know about what Saleh thinks about Wilson.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Have you had the chance to see the quarterback from Tulane the last couple years?

Pratt.  He's my 2-4 round sleeper. 

Very curious of your opinion. 

First, and this is very important, my opinion isn’t worth anything and there are many folks on the site who know way more than me.

That out of the way, I watched Pratt a little in the offseason. I definitely liked him, he was probably my favorite of the mid-round type quarterback prospects entering the year and I’m not sure if that’s changed much. Daniels from LSU is fun too. I know Pratt was banged up a little early in the season and haven’t watched him this year at all but his numbers look decent. I’d be fired up if they could land him in the fourth - a WR-guard-Pratt start in rounds 1-3-4 would be cool. I’m very interested in the idea of them taking one of the experienced guys in this class in the third or fourth, it’s a deep group.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maye, Maye, Maye, and more Maye lol...  JD will never do it, but if he wants to redeem himself, he'd need to do everything to get him and sit him behind Rodgers for a year. And the final picks after we get Maye should be OL, OL, OL, and OL...

Maye, Maye, Maye, and more Maye lol...  JD will never do it, but if he wants to redeem himself, he'd need to do everything to get him and sit him behind Rodgers for a year. And the final picks after we get Maye should be OL, OL, OL, and OL...
On name is what matters ..

J.J. McCarthy

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk