Proposed new JN Forum Rule

Warfish

9 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I've asked numerous times to change my name.

Original I asked for "Hackenberg Wins Championships" and then "Sammy Seeing Ghosts" now I feel that "Zach the Duece" is my current need. 

Max just ignores me.  

Picking user names based on current Jets QB's is a clear and proven route to successful long-term naming.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hahaha, only if you want it; I hardly put you in the same category as those who've had well over a dozen prior usernames banned so my immature, spiteful behavior is at least loosely based upon something of a merit system. ;) 

A dozen? Greek Jets is well 0ver 40. Not even sure High Pitch was ever DK while he was here. Thought that was his JI name. 

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Unless someone is posting smut or spam this is the way. I don’t care if someone makes another name. 

This is the spirit of what we have set up. A lot of people that are banned try to come back. Sometimes we are able to figure out who they are. Sometimes people leave on their own and move to Austria and start posting under a new name. We try to be hands off and really only get involved in big infractions.

When someone does a major infraction they are banned for life and not allowed back. 

Most times people come back and we don't know who they are, but like a Criminal Minds episode they all eventually show their true colors. I just don't think it is worth the time actively researching and checking. To me that is what the offenders are looking for.

At times when things flare up we will shut off new registrations. We had a banned user trying to cause problems, so we just shut it down.

Then yesterday we opened registration back up and all accounts have to be manually approved. So we do check and the software does give us a good indication of who someone is, but it isn't 100%.

So when someone gets by they can try again and hopefully be reformed. But as @BP tells me, my Poster Rehabilitation skills are failing these days. So that is on me.  :)

@Warfish tagging you here to make sure you see my thoughts since I didn't reply to your post. But I like what Matt wrote a lot.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Different people find different things to be tiresome.

In the interest of full disclosure we were told this was Aten a long time after he signed up. He wasn't causing any problems so we let it be.

Maybe the poster rehab program does work.  :)

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Dude you worry too much.

I have a proposition:no rules at all. No mods at all.

If someone cant take it they leave. The rest of us speak our minds on everything. The fights will be an extra source of entertainment, the fb content wont change

Well that wouldn't work. Not in 2023 anyhow.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I appreciate that Max and Co. are ultra-light on the moderation here at JN.

I appreciate that even our worst trolls and sh*t-stirrers get 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances to come back and be better.  Some do, most don't, but still.

But I'd like to propose a new JN rule to @Maxman and Co.

If you ban a poster, and let them come back under a new account, can we please have moderation re-name the account to some version of their old, original name?

i.e. The Crusher is a bad troll.  He gets banned,

He comes back as JoeWaltonsNeckBeard

Moderators seem to be well aware who this guy is, can verify IP's (sometimes) and such, so they rename his account to The Crusher II or something similar.

I just got to say, it gets tiresome as a long-time community member debating with the same guy under his fifteenth user name, not (since not a Mod) neccessarily aware it's someone we've banned 14 previous times.  

Food for thought.

How about not letting anyone come back on another account ?

• Upvote 1

i know some of you like to do this too much so i know i will not get alot of likes for suggesting this but we should not be allowed to change our avatars.

there like our faces. i dont even look at the names anymore unless i dont recognize the pic.

or at least put a rule you cant change them so often. give us a chance to get used to the new pic being you.

or at least just dont let @Warfish do it anymore...lol that week he used @Hal and @Hal N of Provo pic was very confusing. and then that monster that made most of us sick....LMAO...JK

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, doitny said:

i think Philc is Factsonly

and DWC is SOJ

I can see the first one being a thing.

If DWC was back on this board under a different screen name and one of the mods figured it out he definitely wouldn't still be here, so I'm a little skeptical about that second one.

Just now, Hex said:

If DWC was back on this board under a different screen name and one of the mods figured it out he definitely wouldn't still be here, so I'm a little skeptical about that second one.

your probably right.

but both of these guys are banned posters returning. they talk to us like they have been here for years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is the spirit of what we have set up. A lot of people that are banned try to come back. Sometimes we are able to figure out who they are. Sometimes people leave on their own and move to Austria and start posting under a new name. We try to be hands off and really only get involved in big infractions.

When someone does a major infraction they are banned for life and not allowed back. 

Most times people come back and we don't know who they are, but like a Criminal Minds episode they all eventually show their true colors. I just don't think it is worth the time actively researching and checking. To me that is what the offenders are looking for.

At times when things flare up we will shut off new registrations. We had a banned user trying to cause problems, so we just shut it down.

Then yesterday we opened registration back up and all accounts have to be manually approved. So we do check and the software does give us a good indication of who someone is, but it isn't 100%.

So when someone gets by they can try again and hopefully be reformed. But as @BP tells me, my Poster Rehabilitation skills are failing these days. So that is on me.  :)

@Warfish tagging you here to make sure you see my thoughts since I didn't reply to your post. But I like what Matt wrote a lot.

I think 2007 a brawl broke out in the lounge between multiple people. Somebody posted a pic of ecurb with a dunce cap on his head and all hell broke loose. You locked the entire lounge, an entire forum locked :rl:  I still don’t know how you did it. You got mad admin skills!

You used to be the funniest poster on this site hands down. Too bad you had to reel that in after becoming a celebrity and all. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BP said:

I think 2007 a brawl broke out in the lounge between multiple people. Somebody posted a pic of ecurb with a dunce cap on his head and all hell broke loose. You locked the entire lounge, an entire forum locked :rl:  I still don’t know how you did it. You got mad admin skills!

You used to be the funniest poster on this site hands down. Too bad you had to reel that in after becoming a celebrity and all. 

Did we keep the football forum open? I do remember locking things down but couldn't remember if it was just the Lounge.

I thought we might be headed back that way this week.

My funny days are long gone. With great power comes great unfuniness apparently.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Hex said:

If anyone finds DWC here please let me know so I can ban him myself.

That prick accused me of lying about cancer. No light being left on for him. He's sick.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

If not a rename, maybe a nice stickied list of "this guy is now this guy".

If you'd asked me, I would have had no idea that High Pitch was Dick from JI.

We have alot of folks, it's hard to keep track of them all!  Between the guys on their 7th screen name, and the guys who joined only to follow their college QB, it gets hard to keep track of them all, lol.

And to @Maxman, to be clear, this is not a criticism of JN's moderation, I'm onboard with that, it's more an idea to help those of us who DON'T get banned eight times keep track of which doofus is railing against us yet again on their ninth screen name, the same doofus we've ignored 8 times before, lol.  

It's a pipe dream, I get it, I just have an odd feeling that several of the guys who give me the most grief here are guys who've given me grief under a dozen other names over the years, each time pretending they're someone different. 

And yes, before someone asks, it does make a difference.  If I know a guy is the same guy I wrote off as a troll years ago, I'm not going to waste my time trying to have a debate with that same guy under his tenth name, or take that guy seriously at all in the first place.  No point in it.

Let me see if I can get a list of name changes. I hate them personally. And I understand now and agree with what your saying. Some people have switched names and we don't announce it. It's definitely confusing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

2k is a lot but some # of minimum posts is the direction we are headed in.

500 posts seems reasonable to me. It's enough posts that by the time they get to it normally it's pretty clear if they're just a troll, but not so many that legitimate posters can't start threads.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Hex said:

500 posts seems reasonable to me. It's enough posts that by the time they get to it normally it's pretty clear if they're just a troll, but not so many that legitimate posters can't start threads.

That becomes a problem in the ticket forum but we might be able to do a higher # by forum.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

How about not letting anyone come back on another account ?

This is Max's House, that's his call.  I respect he believes in 2nd chances.

I'm not here to question his rules :)  Just to find ways to help me (and perhaps others) keep folks known.

I think we non-banned, not-repeat name folks have a right to know if we're chatting to say, the 5th alt account of Defense Wins Championships, lol.  If possible, of course.