Either way, it’s on JD and he’s got to go

On 11/13/2023 at 10:07 AM, Green Truth said:

Math my friend. 4 1/2 years and he didn't even get to draft the year he was brought in. He lived with what he had in year one. Tore it down in year 2, made progress in year 3 and we are now here in year 4,

This is Joe Douglas 5th season as GM, not his 4th. 

Next season is his last under contract.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

15 hours ago, derp said:

Just find an adequate QB…isn’t so easy, right? They haven’t done it in decades. Plus fix the OL, add skill talent, keep guys under contract once their rookie deals end…

@TomShane says QB is 65% of a team. Sounds about right. Coupled with a mediocre WR group, a less than average OL and a very losing record, shouldn’t that qualify him for a new job…..with another team?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

JD hired Saleh who brought in this defensive scheme. That scheme, with the coaches and players that Douglas brought in, has this team being a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Douglas and Saleh got Rodgers to come here. The moves they made look bad with Rodgers hurt.

But if you think Joe Douglas is getting fired, you are just not basing this in reality.

Douglas is going to spend the offseason fine tuning this roster, primarily on offense.

AVT - Tippmann - Mitchell are coming back and upgrading the offensive line will be the absolute focus. They need a solid # 2 Wide Receiver and Rodgers back.

This team is going to have their best Super Bowl odds ever next year. You don't get rid of the GM who built that.

We can't score a TD.  JD has failed.

• Upvote 3

On 11/13/2023 at 11:39 PM, hmhertz said:

Hoping we lose all the remaining games in embarrassing fashion

and break every negative record. I'm going on 77 and have rooted

for the JETS  since the first time we took the field in 1960. I don't

have much time left, fire Douglas, Saleh and his coaching staff, never

let Wilson take another snap for our team after he accomplishes the

tank. Hire Lanning and end the Rodgers pipedream

Henry you can be very annoying, but please stick around for a Jets Super Bowl appearance. We’ve lost enough great fans waiting…..

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Douglas has failed to build a good o line and WR room every single season. I'm not exactly holding my breath for that to suddenly change.

Aaron Rodgers will be 41 next season and will be coming off 2 back to back injury riddled seasons. He also had his worst season of his career last season.

This roster is filled with holes that are being abundantly shown this season.

This is not a SB contender team. We can't even finish a season with a winning record with Douglas.

The only thing he has built is a house of cards every off season that falls apart when the actual games start.

Fans deserve better than this and I don't know why people are still clinging to this losing regime.

His failures have resulted in a team that can’t score a TD. We are talking historically bad offense. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, derp said:

My suggestion was that they should’ve had a different backup quarterback and Wilson should’ve been QB3 who didn’t see the field. Thus, reset. If you’re trying to build a football team the sunk cost can’t factor into decision making. This team would be more competitive with a different backup quarterback and guys were available. Leaving Wilson as QB2 was negligent and we see the results every week.

If you’re arguing that Wilson doesn’t fit what Hackett’s offense does, that seems to align with the idea that Wilson shouldn’t have been the backup quarterback this year - no?

And Douglas absolutely played a hand in Hackett’s hiring. I don’t think it’s all on him but he’s not blameless there.

I couldn’t agree more about backup QB this year.  Someone like Minshew would easily have gotten us 1-2 more wins as of today. Terrible move by JD

I also agree about sunk costs but I’m skeptical that it’s just in JD and not on Woody as well.  It’s impossible to know how much influence woody has and I doubt he is consulted on things like cutting Carter yesterday. But it’s entirely possible he didn’t want to sit Zach and his $20+ million remaining on his contract. It doesn’t make business sense, but when your owner has never run a business and it’s a high profile player it does seem odd

JD needs to do a much better job on the offensive side of the ball, but he will not be going anywhere in the future unless Woody want him to get rid of Saleh, and he declines. The Coaching staff needs to be replaced first and JD needs to get back to building the team like he didn't just trade for AR.

AR, and not trading out of #2 in Zach's draft are the 2 biggest mistakes he has made, and I'll go on record as saying I'm betting my house that Woody was more behind AR, than JD. To correct the problem JD has to get rid of the dead weight next year. Guys like Lazard, Lawson, Uzameh and Mosley. Not that Mosley is completely dead weight, his contract is. Sign top tier OL and trade as much as possible for picks to move up in the draft. We need Maye and OL, then get rid of Wilson, Trevor and Boyle, and get a serviceable backup for AR in 2024 while Maye becomes the spunge. He just needs to go back to getting good backup players and drafting eventual replacements. By the way if AR is unhappy that we need to get rid of his buddies, then trade him also.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BCJet said:

I couldn’t agree more about backup QB this year.  Someone like Minshew would easily have gotten us 1-2 more wins as of today. Terrible move by JD

I also agree about sunk costs but I’m skeptical that it’s just in JD and not on Woody as well.  It’s impossible to know how much influence woody has and I doubt he is consulted on things like cutting Carter yesterday. But it’s entirely possible he didn’t want to sit Zach and his $20+ million remaining on his contract. It doesn’t make business sense, but when your owner has never run a business and it’s a high profile player it does seem odd

It could be that, I guess. I would imagine Douglas is more invested in Wilson than Woody is from a career standpoint, and I think a lot about Wilson is similar to what he was in BYU - just in a very different situation - so I could see Douglas just continuing to double and triple down. But maybe it’s Woody. I’ve got no actual insight into what happens behind the scenes, just think Douglas is more likely to get tunnel vision in being invested in one player.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, derp said:

It could be that, I guess. I would imagine Douglas is more invested in Wilson than Woody is from a career standpoint, and I think a lot about Wilson is similar to what he was in BYU - just in a very different situation - so I could see Douglas just continuing to double and triple down. But maybe it’s Woody. I’ve got no actual insight into what happens behind the scenes, just think Douglas is more likely to get tunnel vision in being invested in one player.

It’s all woody at this point.  He’s kissing up to Zach’s family which owns JetBlue

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s all woody at this point.  He’s kissing up to Zach’s family which owns JetBlue

Jet blue is a sponsor way before Zach came on board... Because the mascot is jets... Go figure... Zach doesn't benefit or really talk with his uncle... He even said it his rookie year.. 

But what do I know... It's probably this big conspiracy that they have to start a bad qb that makes him and the company look worse... Thats the smart business move. 

:roll:

All GMs can miss on a QB, but the two really bad drafts with his hand picked coach, and the awful decisions and non-decisions this season should get him fired to the point that nobody should hire him as GM ever again.

However he won't get fired.

Aaron Rodgers will keep the Jets hostage for the entire off-season, and just when all the moves and non moves can be taken, Rodgers will retire.

• Upvote 1

JD's record is awful but I'd still absolutely extend him.  However, the offensive side of the ball has so many issues with OL and WR and we have no 2nd rounder this offseason so I'm not sure if JD is even going to be able to plug enough holes for us to make the playoffs next year.  Also, I'm guessing we probably won't have a ton of cap space to play with because we're going to need to save our money to pay our young stars who will need a 2nd contract.

It feels like "players for picks" type trades don't happen too often (obviously Jamal Adams being an exception) but that's the one route I could see JD using to try to get some extra picks.  Either that or maybe JD trades down with his 1st, though that has its own potential issues.

On 11/14/2023 at 11:45 PM, Maxman said:

JD hired Saleh who brought in this defensive scheme. That scheme, with the coaches and players that Douglas brought in, has this team being a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

This team was never a legitimate Super Bowl contender, because this team was lopsided and horrible on Offense, with several hugely risky decisions (Rodgers, Zach as backup, O-line thinness and health, weak as hell WR group after Wilson, Cook signing).

We all PRESUME that would have changed with Rodgers.  But that is a presumption without evidence as yet.

Douglas and Saleh got Rodgers to come here. The moves they made look bad with Rodgers hurt.

I don't think there is a ton of credit for overpaying (in draft picks) and cap space for an older (40), recently hurt (thumb), declining (2022 worst season), disgruntled (with the Packers) hippie QB who gets hurt after 4 plays.

Rodgers was an all or nothing move.  It was either going to be a huge success and save everyones jobs, or a huge failure and everyone gets fired.

So far, it's 100% failure.

JD and Saleh are just very lucky Woody is too dumb to realize how poorly JD and Saleh have actually done, and will likely not just roll it back with them both again in 2024, but are likely to extend both as well so neither will be a lame duck in 2024..

But if you think Joe Douglas is getting fired, you are just not basing this in reality.

100% agree.  I see no chance any Coach is fired this season or this coming offseason.

Douglas is going to spend the offseason fine tuning this roster, primarily on offense.

AVT - Tippmann - Mitchell are coming back and upgrading the offensive line will be the absolute focus. They need a solid # 2 Wide Receiver and Rodgers back.

This team is going to have their best Super Bowl odds ever next year. You don't get rid of the GM who built that.

You remain consistently over-optimistic my friend.  You are what your record says you are, and JD's record is a .333 winning percentage over half a decade, a couple of great trades (Darnold, Adams), and two rounds of one draft (Sauce, Wilson, Hall).

Beyond that, there is nothing to really recommend JD as some kind of big success as a GM.  

• Upvote 3

Our offense need more than just "fine tuning". 

Our WRs need a major upgrade. 

Our OL is still a big question mark.  How much can we count on Becton and AVT?  Hopefully Carter Warren emerges.

I really wonder how a 40 year old AR8 would've even done playing with this crappy OL and WRs this year.  And now he'll be coming off a major injury.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Jet blue is a sponsor way before Zach came on board... Because the mascot is jets... Go figure... Zach doesn't benefit or really talk with his uncle... He even said it his rookie year.. 

But what do I know... It's probably this big conspiracy that they have to start a bad qb that makes him and the company look worse... Thats the smart business move. 

:roll:

There’s business and political aspects to Woody’s asskissery of the Wilson family.  We are stuck with this bust the next 2-3 years at least

IF Rodgers does actually play for us next year he will be a 40 year old qb coming off injury so he will get injured yet again so enjoy Zach in 2024

• Thumb Down 1