The proverbial team meeting

Bugg

Uh, oh..

https://nypost.com/2023/11/14/sports/jets-hold-players-only-meeting-in-midst-of-tailspin-it-matters-to-us/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nypost&utm_medium=social

Garrett Wilson, Jets hold players-only meeting in midst of tailspin: ‘It matters to us’

By 
Social Links forAndrew Battifarano
Published Nov. 14, 2023, 9:12 p.m. ET

Subtitles Off
Subtitles EN

Up Next - C.J. Mosley & Bryce Huff on the mindset of the defense as the offense continues to struggle
C.J. Mosley & Bryce Huff on the mindset of the defense as the offense continues to struggle

As the Jets try to get back on track after two straight losses, the players are looking to hold themselves accountable.

Receiver Garrett Wilson, making an appearance on ESPN New York’s “Bart & Hahn Show,” said the players held a meeting on Tuesday in an effort to get the team out of the “funk” it has been in.

“The guys talked, and we had the floor,” Wilson said on the show. “It was just us. We got to make sure we’re all on the same page about where we’re at and how the hell we get out of this funk, man. That was really the message of it. When it comes from one of your teammates, it always hits different. It always resonates a little bit more. That was the case earlier today. We don’t wanna finish ever finish a season and look back and like should’ve done this earlier, so let’s talk about it now. Let’s talk about it and hopefully it leads to results.

“It doesn’t guarantee anything, we’ve still gotta go out there and do it but we’re taking the right steps and we’re turning over every stone because it matters to us. This is been something that weighs heavy on all the players on offense.”

at the center of the team’s woes, now having been held without a touchdown for 11 straight quarters.

Wilson said he feels contrition for how things have played out so far this year.

“I’m truly sorry about the product offensively we’ve put on the field this season up this point,” Wilson added. “And I know all the guys would say the same exact thing. The beautiful thing is we’ve got another opportunity.”

The team’s passing offense under Zach Wilson has largely been anemic, averaging 179.2 yards per game, which ranks 30th in the NFL.

To make matters worse, they’re only scoring 16 points per game (also 30th in the league), which is 1.4 fewer points than last year’s team that was led by then-offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur, who left the team and eventually joined the Rams.

Wilson and new offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett have both in the crosshairs, but they were staunchly defended by Aaron Rodgers during his weekly appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” on Tuesday.

“I won MVP twice in this same offense, so I’m a believer in the offense,” Rodgers said. “It’s easy right now to throw it at the usual suspects, Zach and Nathaniel, but there’s a lot of positions that need to play better.”

One of the positions that looks to be a spot that the Jets are looking to improve on is running back, especially after the team cut third-down back Michael Carter in a surprise move on Tuesday.

The 2021 fourth-round pick had a successful rookie season with 639 yards on the ground (4.3 yards per attempt) struggled last year before falling on the depth chart after the Dalvin Cook signing.

Carter had just eight carries for 38 yards and 15 receptions for 68 yards this season and did not have any rushes in Sunday’s loss to the Raiders.

The Jets (4-5) can look to get back on track against the Bills (5-5), who have had their own offensive woes and fired offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey on Tuesday.

•  
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It would be worth it just not to hear @JETS SB not say we have the Bills number anymore. 

It’s easy to block me, if you don’t want to hear it. Pretty simple. I just blocked you. I can show you, if you need help with the technology.

It’s sad how some “fans” would rather lose, than hear someone trying to stay positive. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, JETS SB said:

It’s easy to block me, if you don’t want to hear it. Pretty simple. I just blocked you. I can show you, if you need help with the technology.

It’s sad how some “fans” would rather lose, than hear someone trying to stay positive. 

Personally I wouldn’t rather lose but it doesn’t really seem like it’s up to me that much. It seems like the Jets would rather lose at this point. Last couple games they seem to be in  a lose groove between penalties, bonehead  mistakes and a downright  right phobia of the other teams endzone. They should maybe hire a hypnotherapist? 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Michael Carter was cut, about an hour after the meeting. 

I like the guy, but he also looked like a locker room lawyer type to me. Have to wonder if he was cut solely because of production (which would seem rather unfair given this offense), or if he was becoming a malcontent. 

Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing what Abanikanda can do. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, JiF said:

How does a players only meeting solve not scoring TD's?  Almost seems like they dont feel it's a coaching issue.

Only thing I can think of is if guys are calling other guys out for not doing their job, late to meetings, not hustling etc. step it up more or less 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Team meeting is one step closer to HC firing ... So we got that going for us...

8298e228b05b47cdcf8f9f3388c59638.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

yup.

While they can be successful that is typically the sure shot sign that there is a coaching issue and not necassarily just the head coach 

This is a good development. Its obvious that whatever the coaches are doing about this matter isn't getting through to the players.

I think the only way it improves is if the players themselves police themselves. The so-called leaders must step up and tell everyone that this is simply unacceptable and this nonsense must stop now.

This team needs to grow up. They're better than this. It might be too late to save the season though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

Wilson and new offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett have both in the crosshairs, but they were staunchly defended by Aaron Rodgers during his weekly appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” on Tuesday.

“I won MVP twice in this same offense, so I’m a believer in the offense,” Rodgers said. “It’s easy right now to throw it at the usual suspects, Zach and Nathaniel, but there’s a lot of positions that need to play better.”

1 hour ago, slats said:

I like the guy, but he also looked like a locker room lawyer type to me. Have to wonder if he was cut solely because of production (which would seem rather unfair given this offense), or if he was becoming a malcontent. 

Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing what Abanikanda can do. 

There has to be more, how can you punish a guy who barely plays for his lack of production but let everyone else off the hook?  Even the 2 best players on the offense contribute to it's ineptitude.  Love G.Wilson but he's fumbled and dropped multiple passes in the past few weeks, think he was called for a holding too and the ugliest throw in the history of Football on a walk in TD.  Hall is basically a wasted down if he doesnt have a fluke breakaway play but Carter gets out right cut for not taking advantage of his limited snaps, not benched, not deactivated...cut!  Has to be more.