?????qb Question?????

VINBLEEDSGREEN

Maybe someone can help answer this question for me. Many if not all of the columnists and reporters seem to agree on the same prinicples regarding the JETS #4 pick this year, and that is that the JETS WILL NOT pick a QB. Some say they will pick BRICK if he is available, while others say they will take SUPER MARIO or AJ HAWK. All valid selections. However, how is it that they can all agree that the since the JETS have Chad P. and acquired P.Ramsey, they no longer need a QB? Are you kidding me?

example written by Peter Prisco:

4. N.Y. Jets

jets_smL.jpgD'Brickashaw Ferguson, T, Virginia: They have Chad Pennington and they acquired Patrick Ramsey, so they don't need a quarterback. It will be tempting to take one, but they need line help in the worst way. Ferguson is the pick.

I agree that in his prime, Penny was alright, maybe even good. But hes done now and we all know this. And Ramsey, seriously? Is he gonna take the JETS to a new level? He is certainly not a suitable starting QB in this league. Id feel more comfortable with Brooksie. I am confused how these very same reporters can take a team like Tennessee or Buffalo and say they are in desperate need ofa QB and are likely to draft one with their first picks.

Ezample by Peter Prisco:

8. Buffalo Billsbills_smL.jpgJay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt: They signed Craig Nall, but is he the long-term answer? The Bills have to find their next Jim Kelly. It starts by taking Cutler.

The general concensus is that a team like Buffalo or Tenn has more problems at the QB position than NYJ? No Way. I am the biggest believer that DEFENSE wins championships. I also greatly believe that it all starts in the trenches. These are 2 basic principles of football that nobody can disagree with. HOWEVER, I happen to believe this year that there is no other team in this league that is in more dire need of a signal caller than the NYJ this year. There may never have been a team in the history of the NFLthat is in more need of a QB than the 2006 NYJ. If Leinart or Cutler is available, how can we pass this up? I am starting to think that all of the JETS fans have gotten accustomed to the MO draftin defensive players in the early rounds for so many years, and have also grown accustomed to our QB's really blowing. It doesnt have to be this way. And i know everyone will use the arguement: "well take a late round QB" or "we need to rebuild the lines first". this is all true but how many TOm Brady's are out there? and, we can pick up linemen later in the draft who will be almost as good. BRICK is a less than average run blocker, and with our current QB situation, i highly doubt he will be dropping into pass protection to much, considerinig Chad cannot even throw the ball. Super Mario is great, tremendous, but not suited for the new defensive scheme as we all know. WE NEED A QB. and this is the year we should grab one. Cutler or Leinart.

:cheers:

Chad Pennington will be fine. We don't need a QB if the o-line does its job. If they get him broken, Ramsey can do the job well enough.

It's not like we're a SB contender, anyway. If there's a later-rounds QB steal, I'd be all for picking him up and kicking Bollinger to the curb.

I trust the FO to do what they think is right. And if that's getting a brick to fill a spot on the OL like Ferguson, so be it. Then I'd expect they take a flyer on a lower-rated QB like Croyle in that later rounds or look to snag a cut FA vet over the summer. There's not much point to getting a big-time QB if, as the Jets have done the alst few years, you cannot protect him because your idea of pass protection consists of lucking into the okay Adrian Jones(when I read this board sometimes I'm shocked that the player you guys describes plays for the Jets and wonder what you are watching-he's OKAY, not all world) and taking Cvaka and Yovanovitz late in the draft(when you draft enough DBs and DL guys to staff three defenses, none of'em much good, in the early rounds). That doesn't work. Don't think there's much point to caring what Prisco, Meyers, Pasquarelli, Clayton, et al, think.

Just note-in the previous administration, the emphasis on drafting one DB after another round after round when the rules really don't make one better than any other was really dumb. Except the one occasion they had a shot at a real player DB in Ed Reed and they decided to draft Bryan Thomas while already having two DEs at top salary under contract. Go figure.

faba, do you mean blowing it like the last time the Jets had the overall #4 pick?:eek:

I know you love to hate on DROB - not even discussing his situation I have never been a fan of moving up in the draft and sacrificing picks.

Chad Pennington will be fine.

:eek::eek:

WHAT!!?? Chad will be fine!!?? Chad's lucky he's on a roster, and he won't ever be able to play at the caliber of an NFL QB again with 2 torn rotator cuffs. You of all people Bob I would think would know that. Perhaps you shaved some of your smarts off along with the mustache.

:eek::eek:

WHAT!!?? Chad will be fine!!?? Chad's lucky he's on a roster, and he won't ever be able to play at the caliber of an NFL QB again with 2 torn rotator cuffs. You of all people Bob I would think would know that. Perhaps you shaved some of your smarts off along with the mustache.

Frankly, Boozer, you've never really been right about much.

Chad Pennington will be fine. We don't need a QB if the o-line does its job. If they get him broken, Ramsey can do the job well enough.

It's not like we're a SB contender, anyway. If there's a later-rounds QB steal, I'd be all for picking him up and kicking Bollinger to the curb.

Posts like this prove one thing.

I'm JETSTONE and you are....Bob.

'Nuff said.

bolly can do much better, and cheaper than noodle arm. if they're smart, they'll cut noodle after june 1st.

What are you a contender for? You help give Jets fans their historical and hysterical negative outlook. I'd rather believe that the SB is possible until it's proven mathematically impossible, so iv'e got maybe 10-11 games to look forward to and you've got none. Kick Bollinger to the curb? Might be the only guy with class in the whole Jets group, so they probably will and retain their Vinnie Barbarino style of football. As a group the Jets deserve Cutler or Croyle or Young or Jacobs or anybody cuz Jesus himself couldn't QB without the Jets screwing it up. Anybody know how to spell weener? Wiener? Weaner? Whiener?

What are you a contender for? You help give Jets fans their historical and hysterical negative outlook. I'd rather believe that the SB is possible until it's proven mathematically impossible, so iv'e got maybe 10-11 games to look forward to and you've got none. Kick Bollinger to the curb? Might be the only guy with class in the whole Jets group, so they probably will and retain their Vinnie Barbarino style of football. As a group the Jets deserve Cutler or Croyle or Young or Jacobs or anybody cuz Jesus himself couldn't QB without the Jets screwing it up. Anybody know how to spell weener? Wiener? Weaner? Whiener?

I don't know what the hell that was, but I think Bob just got owned.:eek:

we need a impact explosive player we can market with the 4th pick, i dont want fergy. we couldnt score last year because our skill position players blow like a hooker in the land of weenerville

You're right. Our skill positions are just as big if not a bigger concern than offensive line. We should draft a quarterback at 4, a skill position player at 29, and then 4-5 offensive linemen in Rounds 2,3,4 and 5.

Pennington is finished and Ramsey is a back-up. We need a big strong armed quartback that is young and durable. You can't count on being able to draft Brady Quinn next year and you certainly cannot count on getting a Tom Brady in Round 6.

The odds are against you picking a QB so high in the draft-this team can not afford to blow it so if we do pick a QB we better be right

A list of QBs taken in the first round from 1990-2005 proves your point -

(Overall in parentheses)

Jeff George (1)

Andre Ware (7)

Dan McGwire (16)

Todd Marinovich (24)

David Klingler (6)

Tommy Maddox (25)

Drew Bledsoe (1)

Rick Mirer (2)

Heath Shuler (3)

Trent Dilfer (6)

Steve McNair (3)

Kerry Collins (5)

NONE

Jim Druckenmiller (26)

Peyton Manning (1)

Ryan Leaf (2)

Tim Couch (1)

Donovan McNabb (2)

Akili Smith (3)

Daunte Culpepper (11)

Cade McNown (12)

Chad Pennington (18)

Michael Vick (1)

David Carr (1)

Joey Harrington (3)

Patrick Ramsey (32)

Carson Palmer (1)

Byron Leftwich (7)

Eli Manning (1)

Philip Rivers (4)

Ben Roethlisberger (11)

JP Losman (22)

Alex Smith (1)

Aaron Rogers (24)

Jason Campbell (25)

A few notables taken after round 1 (1990-1995)

(Rd/Overall):

Brett Favre (2/33)

Brad Johnson (9/227)

Mark Brunell (5/118)

Trent Green (8/222)

Jake Plummer (2/42)

Matt Hasselbeck (6/187)

Aaron Brooks (4/131)

Marc Bulger (6/168)

Tom Brady (6/199)

Drew Brees (2/32)

A list of QBs taken in the first round from 1990-2005 proves your point -

(Overall in parentheses)

Jeff George (1)

Andre Ware (7)

Dan McGwire (16)

Todd Marinovich (24)

David Klingler (6)

Tommy Maddox (25)

Drew Bledsoe (1)

Rick Mirer (2)

Heath Shuler (3)

Trent Dilfer (6)

Steve McNair (3)

Kerry Collins (5)

NONE

Jim Druckenmiller (26)

Peyton Manning (1)

Ryan Leaf (2)

Tim Couch (1)

Donovan McNabb (2)

Akili Smith (3)

Daunte Culpepper (11)

Cade McNown (12)

Chad Pennington (18)

Michael Vick (1)

David Carr (1)

Joey Harrington (3)

Patrick Ramsey (32)

Carson Palmer (1)

Byron Leftwich (7)

Eli Manning (1)

Philip Rivers (4)

Ben Roethlisberger (11)

JP Losman (22)

Alex Smith (1)

Aaron Rogers (24)

Jason Campbell (25)

A few notables taken after round 1 (1990-1995)

(Rd/Overall):

Brett Favre (2/33)

Brad Johnson (9/227)

Mark Brunell (5/118)

Trent Green (8/222)

Jake Plummer (2/42)

Matt Hasselbeck (6/187)

Aaron Brooks (4/131)

Marc Bulger (6/168)

Tom Brady (6/199)

Drew Brees (2/32)

Yes, and of the QB's since 2000 (only because the tecnology and scouting has changed so much up until 2000) (not including 2005 QB's, because they are still to be decided on) 6 out of the 11 QB's to be taken, have turned out to be fabulous. And if we are not including 2002, which has been the worst year for QB's since 1992, then 6 out of 8 of the recent first round QB's are considered franchise QB's. Also, if we want to take Phillip Rivers out of there, only because he is just starting to play, then 6 of 7 QB's are franchise QB's. Take that into consideration, the odds are not all that against us.

Frankly, Boozer, you've never really been right about much.

Really? I was one of the first, if not the first to sit there and tell all of you that Chad was nothing near what he was hyped to be. Furthermore, I was the ONLY one who was stanchly against his contract extension, and was ridiculed beyond belief on the site to never be mentioned. Ever tear a rotator cuff Bob? I havre, and you never come back the same. Ever tear it twice? I can't even imagine. The guy could barely throw a football ayt an NFL level to begin with. After one injuruy he couldn't at all. After 2 now and we are set to be the laughing stock of the ages if he takes the field. Seriously, grow your mustache back. Obviously the majority of your intelligence lies in your facial hair. Hell, grow a friggin beard for that matter! ;)

Really? I was one of the first, if not the first to sit there and tell all of you that Chad was nothing near what he was hyped to be. Furthermore, I was the ONLY one who was stanchly against his contract extension, and was ridiculed beyond belief on the site to never be mentioned.
+

Booz, with all due respect, I was the first to call Pennyboy's contract a complete farce.;)

+

Booz, with all due respect, I was the first to call Pennyboy's contract a complete farce.;)

With all due respect, I never was on the Penny bandwagon...long before that ridiculous contract of paying a QB that much money without playing a full season...he still hasn't.

Yes, and of the QB's since 2000 (only because the tecnology and scouting has changed so much up until 2000) (not including 2005 QB's, because they are still to be decided on) 6 out of the 11 QB's to be taken, have turned out to be fabulous. And if we are not including 2002, which has been the worst year for QB's since 1992, then 6 out of 8 of the recent first round QB's are considered franchise QB's. Also, if we want to take Phillip Rivers out of there, only because he is just starting to play, then 6 of 7 QB's are franchise QB's. Take that into consideration, the odds are not all that against us.

If you are right about technology and scouting methods resulting in better odds - and I'm not saying you aren't - then we should see similar spikes in the post-2000 success rates for drafting at every position. If I had the time, I'd do an analysis. We could start with the other so-called skill positions.

Whoa, Booz just slammed Bob bigtime.:eek:

Love tossing the gas.;)

As for him growing a beard, check this out, doesn't help him much: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=65116855

I think the only think that would help Bob is a #5 Jets jersey with BOLLYWOOD printed on the back.

Hahahahahahahaaaaa

That's the only way he can be cool!

boozer, you are absolutely right here. i personally know 3 different athletes with rotator cuff tears and none of them have ever returned to their previous athletic capabailities. 2 played football and one was a pitcher. imagine 2 rotator cuff tears? i think we are already the laughing stock of the nfl. i bet everyone is laughing so hard that we acquired Ramsey and are even considering enter into competition with P.Ramsey and a broken Penny in our arsenal of QBs. its probably the biggest joke around the league. everyone is agreeing that we dont draft a QB. this is probably part of the "prank". let us go with another defensive player and pass up on some of the better QBs to hit the draft market in years, while everyone else continues to laugh at the NYJ, then takes Cutler or Leinart or Young when we could have had them.

It has to end one day. I hope one day soon.

Translation: "If you remove all statistics that don't do my opinion justice, by starting with an arbitrary year of my choosing, and then another entire year of drafting QB's in the top-3/top-12, remove from the equation any QB who can't break into the starting lineup for his first two full seasons, and further skew things by assessing mediocre performances as "fabulous" then you will see that my point is validated."

Translation: "If you remove all statistics that don't do my opinion justice, by starting with an arbitrary year of my choosing, and then another entire year of drafting QB's in the top-3/top-12, remove from the equation any QB who can't break into the starting lineup for his first two full seasons, and further skew things by assessing mediocre performances as "fabulous" then you will see that my point is validated."

POTW NOM.

Archived