Is it just a coincidence?

section314

Losing AVT was the biggest loss to the OL, but the OL shuffling constantly is always going to cause problems. 

I actually think the offense was changed significantly post-bye from the offense they all practiced in during camp, and the unit is just clearly not in sync or found plays and patterns that they feel comfortable with in 3rd down and Red Zone opportunities.

Coincidence 

I don’t think McGovern’s absence caused Uzomah to hold on the 3 yard line or GW Wilson to drop a pass that would have set us up with a 1st and goal or Zach to throw a game ending pick. 

we sucked at scoring TDs with McGovern, too. He’s a solid player, but our offense sucked with him, as well

6 hours ago, Lith said:

Valid, imo.  Losing him after losing AVT really weakened the interior OL.  Running game has been crap ever since.  Puts more pressure on a bad QB. 

Add to that, McGovern may have helped Zach read defenses.  Tippmann has played well, but I am not sure he can help Zach as much pre-snap as a vet like McGovern.

Good experienced centers like when we had Mangold would call out all the oline protections. That helps for oline continuity/chemistry and helps the QB as well. McGovern may have been doing that and now without that even as good as Tippman he is still a rookie with only a few starts at center so he may be very new to handling that type of role. This teams oline injuries are ultimately what is derailing them yet again and is the main reason for not being able to score TDs. Next man up doesn’t work if at one point you are using 3rd and 4th stringers at positions on oline that should not be playing significant minutes on any team trying or needing to win games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Lots of posters on here couldn’t wait to cut him. He isn’t the best but wasn’t the main problem on the oline.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

JN loves to focus on the fringe issues, rather than the real problems. I think there is a perpetual desire for folks to sound smart in finding the thing that unlocks the mysteries of the universe.

i think you underestimate the value of an experienced center. when Rodger threw his only Jet TD in preseason he credited McG for spotting something in the defense and he changed the play. that TD pass was not supposed to go to GW.

yes Tippman has played better but i dont think he is at that stage yet. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think there is another unit in professional sports that requires cohesiveness. An O-line is a fist, and a fist can't throw a punch with a broken finger. The way we talk sh*t about "this guard is garbage, and this tackle is sh*t" well the truth is they are all only as good as the other 4 linemen. And even still, they all don't have to be good, they just have to be familiar. 

You can't throw a punch if you have 5 fingers from five different hands, and even more so when the thumb is on the left hand but the fist is on the right hand. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

I don't think there is another unit in professional sports that requires cohesiveness. An O-line is a fist, and a fist can't throw a punch with a broken finger. The way we talk sh*t about "this guard is garbage, and this tackle is sh*t" well the truth is they are all only as good as the other 4 linemen. And even still, they all don't have to be good, they just have to be familiar. 

You can't throw a punch if you have 5 fingers from five different hands, and even more so when the thumb is on the left hand but the fist is on the right hand. 

you actually ahve it backwards bud, history is riddled with great QB's who were completely shut down by their Oline being dominated by opposing D lines. Now, a good line does not make a good QB, but its extremely hard to play any level of decent offense with a sh*t line, or hell, even a line that is just overmatched, There have been multiple superbowls with all time great QB;s where this has been proven out, and its proven out every sunday. When an O line is physically overmatched, the entire offense is shut down