What to do with CJ Mosley after this season?

AFJF

Having what is by far his best season as a Jet on a team with very little cap flexibility next season.

Cap ramifications for 2024.

Keep him: $21 million

Cut him: Save $11 million with $10 million cap hit

Post just 1st cut: Save $17 mil with $4 mil cap hit

Re-work: You're paying him more money into later years when he's gone

Any "re-working" of the contract needs to be a massive outright paycut, not a single cent getting moved any further into the future.  If he refuses, then it's time to send him packing and find a replacement.

Even if you want to believe the hype surrounding this season (which has been wildly overrated, considering he's not even having the best season by a Jets LB, by a wide margin), it doesn't change that he's still an aging player who was the most overpaid in the league for the first 4 years of his contract, so leaves plenty of reason for concern.  Keeping him at anywhere close to this current price would be foolish, and as much as he gets hype for his rah rah stuff off the field, his on-field performance is certainly replaceable, and at a much lower price.

• Upvote 1

I think he’s played well enough that he should be kept but at a lower price.  The danger is that he will keep a younger, and possibly better, player on the bench.  They need to get a player in the pipeline soon to replace Moseley.
How can you say that with a straight face when Duane 'cant get on the field' Brown is sucking up a roster spot ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

How can you say that with a straight face when Duane 'cant get on the field' Brown is sucking up a roster spot ?

Maybe because they haven’t yet found a guy who is consistently better than brown?  I think it would be a whole different argument had becton been able to play last season.  Becton and Mitchell seem to be a good tackle combo of late.  And this isn’t about brown, it’s about Moseley.  He’s playing pretty well while injuries are keeping guys like Suratt on the bench.

Having what is by far his best season as a Jet on a team with very little cap flexibility next season.

Cap ramifications for 2024.
Keep him: $21 million
Cut him: Save $11 million with $10 million cap hit
Post just 1st cut: Save $17 mil with $4 mil cap hit
Re-work: You're paying him more money into later years when he's gone

I’m convinced CJ Mosley will be on this team for 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Maybe because they haven’t yet found a guy who is consistently better than brown?  I think it would be a whole different argument had becton been able to play last season.  Becton and Mitchell seem to be a good tackle combo of late.  And this isn’t about brown, it’s about Moseley.  He’s playing pretty well while injuries are keeping guys like Suratt on the bench.
That's my point ... Keep Mosely by restructuring his contract over two more years and cut brown. That will let you keep Moseley and the guys like Surat. If Surat is actually better than Mosely you play him and keep CJ in reserve.

• Upvote 1

2024 is all in AR8.  Mosley needs to be on the team.  Mosley wants to win.  Mosley is very shrewd and likes his money.  Mosley will not agree to take less money, but he will work with the Jets to spread his cost out.  

If I am Woody I am hoping I can get two years about of AR8.   If I was not willing to pay Darnold year 5, I am not willing to pay Wilson.  The team will be structured to make 2024 and 2025 most competitive.  He will try and sell lots of tickets.  But after 2025, this team will have lots of cap hits and very few players.  The team will start from scratch.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

I think he’s played well enough that he should be kept but at a lower price.  The danger is that he will keep a younger, and possibly better, player on the bench.  They need to get a player in the pipeline soon to replace Moseley.

I agree that he should be kept but at a lower price, but I don't agree about the danger of keeping a younger player on the bench.  

The Jets need to add a quality linebacker next year, because I think if we do keep Moseley, next year will be his last.  And if we do get another linebacker, perhaps that player can spell Moseley, and maybe even prolong his career another year, maybe even with the Jets.

Injuries is another reason to have some depth going into next season.  After Quincy and Moseley, you got Sherwood, who just doesn't seem to show up on the stat sheet very often.  Getting an upgrade on him, spelling Moseley, I feel is a must for next year.

22 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

That's my point ... Keep Mosely by restructuring his contract over two more years and cut brown. That will let you keep Moseley and the guys like Surat. If Surat is actually better than Mosely you play him and keep CJ in reserve.

Brown isn't under contract next year anyway; there's nothing to cut. 

They'll keep Mosley, despite the far smarter move of dumping the NFL's most overrated defender, in no small part because they've made so little investment in the position combined with those silly PFF rankings that grade him with neutral plays for getting juked & as outright positive plays for getting dragged & finally tackling past the first down marker.

The D is carrying CJ Mosley like the O is carrying Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:
They'll keep Mosley, despite the far smarter move of dumping the NFL's most overrated defender, in no small part because they've made so little investment in the position combined with those silly PFF rankings that grade him with neutral plays for getting juked & as outright positive plays for getting dragged & finally tackling past the first down marker.

Fair point .. my guess is they draft a MLB for development next year. I hope they don't go the FA route. We disagree on Mosely's worth .. the defense plays much worse without him.

Edited by Dunnie

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Both severely underrated by this fanbase

I dig it

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree that he should be kept but at a lower price, but I don't agree about the danger of keeping a younger player on the bench.  

The Jets need to add a quality linebacker next year, because I think if we do keep Moseley, next year will be his last.  And if we do get another linebacker, perhaps that player can spell Moseley, and maybe even prolong his career another year, maybe even with the Jets.

Injuries is another reason to have some depth going into next season.  After Quincy and Moseley, you got Sherwood, who just doesn't seem to show up on the stat sheet very often.  Getting an upgrade on him, spelling Moseley, I feel is a must for next year.

I think they need to address the lb spot but as we’ve seen with guys like Quincy Williams and Demario Davis take a few seasons to develop.  Moseley replacement could already be on the team.

post june 1st cut.

With our dline keeping them clean (thanks Quinnen!) finding linebackers that can make a bunch of tackles is the easiest thing to find.

As I said in another thread, we will simply find another 'heart and soul' of the defense.

High end oline and WR can use that FA money.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I think they need to address the lb spot but as we’ve seen with guys like Quincy Williams and Demario Davis take a few seasons to develop.  Moseley replacement could already be on the team.

Demario Davis was near at the top of his game when the Jets let him walk after his second stint with the Jets.  That was just one of many mistakes this team has made.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Alka said:

Demario Davis was near at the top of his game when the Jets let him walk after his second stint with the Jets.  That was just one of many mistakes this team has made.

Yes but he needed a few seasons to develop.  As I recall the jets drafted him in the third round and then let him when he contract ran out.  He came back as a much better player.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Yes but he needed a few seasons to develop.  As I recall the jets drafted him in the third round and then let him when he contract ran out.  He came back as a much better player.

Yes, that is exactly my point.  He came back a much better player, and then the Jets let him walk in free agency to another team.  He was not a priority, which was a major mistake.