Hackett’s Drive-Killing Tendency

Ulrich

Roughly 5 times a game Hackett single-handedly helps kill drives. With the following play-calling sequence:

1. 1st down - often a pass - results in zero to limited gain. If it’s a run it’s usually a vanilla preseason type play call.

2. Second down: vanilla run play *every defense knows is coming* stopped for a very short gain at most. Frequently results in no gain or a loss. 

3. 3rd & long: odds stacked against getting a first down. Especially with the combo of Hackett, Zach and the o-line leading the charge. Unsurprisingly Jets almost never get a first down here. 

Three & out. Punt. Rinse, repeat. 

I’ve seen this same tendency from LaFleur and past OCs. How’d that work out?

Outside of Breece & Garrett, Hackett is working with trash offensively led by Zach (then again all back-up QBs are some level of trash). 

Doesn’t mean Hackett isn’t trash too. And that Sean Payton and Courtland Sutton were wrong about his trashiness. 

• Upvote 1

It takes a village.  The false starts, holding, drops don’t help. 

his personnel usage is my biggest problem with him. 

cook looked legit last week, just doesn’t get back in the game 

getting rid of the worst 3rd down back in the league should help too. 

• Upvote 3

It's like you guys have a 24 hour memory span. We ALL have watched what this team can do when LITERALLY anyone else plays QB.

Let's forget that, and cut it to percentages, and somehow forgive "the kid". The millionaire young nice man should not play professional football. The moment he is not playing, everything has played out and will again play out better for the Jets.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Roughly 5 times a game Hackett single-handedly helps kill drives. With the following play-calling sequence:

1. 1st down - often a pass - results in zero to limited gain. If it’s a run it’s usually a vanilla preseason type play call.

So if a play results in zero -> limited, it is by default the fault of the offensive coordinator? That's not right.

Please give more details on how the first down plays are vanilla preseason type calls. Compare to a non-vanilla preseason call to help illustrate what you're talking about.

I am not saying you're wrong about this but you've provided no details to back your claim.

2. Second down: vanilla run play *every defense knows is coming* stopped for a very short gain at most. Frequently results in no gain or a loss. 

Again - the vanilla thing. What exactly do you mean by this and tell us what would be different about the non-vanilla run play. How do you know every defense knows the play that is coming? 

I am not saying you're wrong about this but you've provided no details to back your claim.

3. 3rd & long: odds stacked against getting a first down. Especially with the combo of Hackett, Zach and the o-line leading the charge. Unsurprisingly Jets almost never get a first down here. 

Seems like you've pointed out nothing here except that your not happy with the result of 1st and 2nd down. Fair complaint but it doesn't speak to anything Hackett is not doing well on 3rd down?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Outside of Breece & Garrett, Hackett is working with trash offensively led by Zach (then again all back-up QBs are some level of trash). 

Doesn’t mean Hackett isn’t trash too. And that Sean Payton and Courtland Sutton were wrong about his trashiness. 

Here's the secret in my view. Offenses under Saleh want to get to 3rd and manageable and make first downs. Good offenses want to make explosive plays and score. Sales idiotic stance on offense brings everything down.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

The plays designed to other than Garret or hall is crazy. Hackett has every opportunity to coach this up coming game and silence every one. You are only as good as your last game but he last however.many have all been trash. Right now he is a trash can

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So if a play results in zero -> limited, it is by default the fault of the offensive coordinator? That's not right.

Please give more details on how the first down plays are vanilla preseason type calls. Compare to a non-vanilla preseason call to help illustrate what you're talking about.

Again - the vanilla thing. What exactly do you mean by this and tell us what would be different about the non-vanilla run play. How do you know every defense knows the play that is coming? 

Seems like you've pointed out nothing here except that your not happy with the result of 1st and 2nd down. Fair complaint but it doesn't speak to anything Hackett is not doing well on 3rd down?

You should watch the games. I was going to start putting together an example from every game this year. But I think perhaps I will wait to use today's game. Let me get back to you on all these obvious points the op made. He is 100 💯 right

31 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

It's like you guys have a 24 hour memory span. We ALL have watched what this team can do when LITERALLY anyone else plays QB.

Let's forget that, and cut it to percentages, and somehow forgive "the kid". The millionaire young nice man should not play professional football. The moment he is not playing, everything has played out and will again play out better for the Jets.

Haha, that  my center of the earth  friend is the proverbial man behind curtain. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You should watch the games. I was going to start putting together an example from every game this year. But I think perhaps I will wait to use today's game. Let me get back to you on all these obvious points the op made. He is 100 💯 right

Right about what, exactly?

I am no fan of Hackett but the OP basically gave zero details and made broad, general claims.

18 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Does Hackett ever call a pass into the end zone play while in the red zone?   I can't recall very many at all.

You answered your own question with your second sentence. You can’t recall many says that you do remember some so yes he does call passes to the end zone. He doesn’t call many, but that could be that he doesn’t trust the qb to make the throw or he has called a play to the end zone but the qb checked down to a different play at the line of scrimmage.

I think this whole argument is faulty because we don’t actually know what plays are being called nor do we know what plays Zach can call into.  And then it’s awful tough when, in just the raiders game, there at least five instances where passes and runs that would have resulted in first downs failed because of missed blocks, dropped passes or penalties.

• Upvote 2

We have an O-Line that's been decimated by injuries, one starting caliber wide receiver followed by a bunch of JAGs, a head coach who doesn't hold players accountable when they repeatedly commit penalties that cripple nearly every offensive series, and an OC who's accomplished the impossible feat of being a worse play caller than his father was.

Add to that a starting QB with an internal clock that's slower than Lenny from Of Mice and Men, and you have a historically bad offense.

• Haha 1