Herm's Game Adjustments

BigOrangeJetFan

The Jets defense was great in 2004. In the 7 games ( I originally reported only 6) that the Jets shut out the opponent in the second half that year, they won six of those games so it wasn't the opponent routing the Jets and running out the clock. It was half time adjustments to the defense that stopped the opponent and gave the Jets the opportunity to win despite an offense that went into the tank after Pennington went down with his seperated shoulder.

The original question was regarding half time adjustments by Herman Edwards. I pretty much answered the original poster who posed the question.

Of course, that doesn't answer the questions for those who think every thing the Jets did in a positive vein under Herm Edwards was despite him and everything else was because of him.

Herman haters need to get over it. He saw the direction that the Jets were heading into, gave them an opportunity to give him a contract extension. He was rebuffed and did what the last three HC's did when they evaluated their career potential with the Jets and saw the ineptness in ownership... He took a better job, with better prospects, with a better franchise with an ownership that wasn't as inept as Woody Johnson.

wasnt he hired 5 years earlier to prevent the 'direction' they were heading into?

It's not rocket science YJF.

Even if one of those two guys gets stuffed for only a 1-yard gain, the FG attempt would have been 4 yards closer.

Instead of bouncing off the crossbar, the Jets would have been on their way to Foxboro.;)

But then we still would have Herm as the coach. He would have gotten his extension.

I read on another Jets site, where some people are sad Herm is gone. I am wondering if anyone can think of a game where he made adjustments on the game plan at halftime which turned a game around. We know of his clock management problems, but I never thought he was a good tactics guy. Was outcoached many times.

In 2004, with a one armed QB, Herman Edwards and Donnie Henderson came up with half time adjustments that resulted in seven second half defensive shoutouts, an NFL record. The Jets won six of those games in which they tied or trailed at halftime.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041003_NYJ@MIA

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041017_SF@NYJ

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041024_NYJ@NE

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041121_NYJ@CLE

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041128_NYJ@ARI

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041205_HOU@NYJ

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041219_SEA@NYJ

Herm is better at halftime defensive adjustments than Mangini can ever hope to be. This insulting characiture of Herman Edwards as a 'Steppin Fetchitt' moron who was only good at BBQ's is only believed by a minority of Jet fans who act like Jennifer Aniston crapping all over Brad Pitt because she was dumped for someone far more attractive and with a better future.

You need to get over yourselves and move on.

Says the man who still can't get over the fact he's gone. I am amused how your costant bashing of Mangini has mostly to do with his weight. I'm wondering if the most important quality of a head coach is how well he fills a pair of stretch denims. That's about all Herm was good for.

Well, at least you can no longer argue that Herman Edwards never made halftime adjustments. I just showed you seven times in one season. Woody Johnson is so inept he offerred to spend a billion dollars of his own money to build a Westside Stadium, failed to pay off the right politicians and got turned down. He has now hired two unqualified former interns as HC and GM. Jets will turn it around when someone steps in and forces Woody to clean house and a hire a qualified football executive to run the franchise.

In the meantime, swallow the Kool Aid, wave your Gameday programs like Mao's Little Red Book and follow the Pied Piper. Bradway, another empty suit incompentant corporate yes man, like Tannenbaum and Jay Cross, ruined what Parcells gave him through poor drafts and free agent signings and letting quality starters leave without replacing them. Tannenbaum is the final nail in the coffin.

Raj,

You give Herm all the credit, and little, if any of the blame. Bradway does deserve a bad rap for some of the free agent signings and losses, and well as questionable draft decisions, HOWEVER, Herm, as Head Coach, must have had a say in those transactions.

If you want to kill Bradway for Matthew Hatchette, Damien Robinson, Steve White, Sam Cowart, etc Herm also deserves blame, beacause it was HIS offense and defense. It was his team and he should have had a vision as to how those players would have fit in and contributed. Herm also worked with White and Robinson in Tampa and they were terrible additions. Failures.

If you tell me that no, Herm deserves no blame, then this just paints him as a figuredhead, with little input or knowledge, and totaly reliant upon his coordinators and talent evaluators. Either way, Herm looks bad.

If you tell me that no, Herm deserves no blame, then this just paints him as a figuredhead, with little input or knowledge, and totaly reliant upon his coordinators and talent evaluators. Either way, Herm looks bad.

Dude, Michelangelo couldn't paint Herm in a positive light.

Raj you keep bringing up the Herm adjustments for the halftime shutouts and I can see you now added Donnie into the mix but there are still a few responses you haven't answered.. And to be honest i don't think you can because they proved you wrong and they shut you up for months in this thread. :box:

Raj you keep bringing up the Herm adjustments for the halftime shutouts and I can see you now added Donnie into the mix but there are still a few responses you haven't answered.. And to be honest i don't think you can because they proved you wrong and they shut you up for months in this thread. :box:

The original question was that the poster had never seen Herman Edwards make a single half time adjustment in any game in his five years.

I answered it showing him seven games in 2004 that allowed the Jets to make the playoffs despite having no QB for the last 9 games.

Only the Jennifer Jets think they have proven me wrong.

Facts are Herman Edwards was the most successful HC in franchise history unless you only count Super Bowl wins which would make Weeb Ewbank the most successful

Five years, three playoff appearances, two playoff wins and an AFCE title is exactly what the record is of the previous 15 years (1986 - 2000) under Al Groh, Bill Parcells, Rich Kotite, Pete Carrol, Bruce Coslet and Joe Walton COMBINED.

I've gotten over Herm leaving for a better position, the Jennifer Jets need some help like here:

http://www.topdatingtips.com/getting-dumped.htm

The original question was that the poster had never seen Herman Edwards make a single half time adjustment in any game in his five years.

I answered it showing him seven games in 2004 that allowed the Jets to make the playoffs despite having no QB for the last 9 games.

Facts are Herman Edwards was the most successful HC in franchise history unless you only count Super Bowl wins which would make Weeb Ewbank the most successful

Five years, three playoff appearances, two playoff wins and an AFCE title is exactly what the record is of the previous 15 years (1986 - 2000) under Al Groh, Bill Parcells, Rich Kotite, Pete Carrol, Bruce Coslet and Joe Walton COMBINED.

I've gotten over Herm leaving for a better position, the Jennifer Jets need some help like here:

Herm Edwards record with the Jets in 5 seasons: 39-41.

Highest win total: 10 (twice)

Lowest win total: 4

Won AFCE in 2002 on a three-way tiebreaker with a 9-7 record.

"Secured" 2004 Wildcard by losing 3 of final 4 games.

Record against the New England Patriots: 2-8

Record against the New England Patriots at the Meadowlands: 0-5

In 2004, with a one armed QB, Herman Edwards and Donnie Henderson came up with half time adjustments that resulted in seven second half defensive shoutouts, an NFL record. The Jets won six of those games in which they tied or trailed at halftime.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041003_NYJ@MIA

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041017_SF@NYJ

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041024_NYJ@NE

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041121_NYJ@CLE

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041128_NYJ@ARI

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041205_HOU@NYJ

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041219_SEA@NYJ

Herm is better at halftime defensive adjustments than Mangini can ever hope to be. This insulting characiture of Herman Edwards as a 'Steppin Fetchitt' moron who was only good at BBQ's is only believed by a minority of Jet fans who act like Jennifer Aniston crapping all over Brad Pitt because she was dumped for someone far more attractive and with a better future.

maybe its just me...but outside of possibly new england, none of those teams had even decent offenses then

maybe its just me...but outside of possibly new england, none of those teams had even decent offenses then

C'mon. The Cards, Texans, 49ers and Browns were offensive machines on par with the 2001 Rams that season!

Herm Edwards record with the Jets in 5 seasons: 39-41.

Highest win total: 10 (twice)

Lowest win total: 4

Won AFCE in 2002 on a three-way tiebreaker with a 9-7 record.

"Secured" 2004 Wildcard by losing 3 of final 4 games.

Record against the New England Patriots: 2-8

Record against the New England Patriots at the Meadowlands: 0-5

In 5 seasons, # of superbowls won (or played in): 0

In 5 seasons, # of champ.games won (or played in): 0

In 5 seasons, # of division titles won: 1

In 5 seasons, # of times the Jets didn't start out by losing 2 of the first 3 games: 1

In 5 seasons, # of times Jets had a bottom-5 rush defense (#28 or worse): 3

In 5 seasons, # of times the Jets had a top-10 offense: 0

In 5 seasons, # of non-scrub veterans forced to compete for a starting job: 0

Not onyl was Herm incapable of making ingame adjustments, he was a terrible judge of talent and made horrible adjustments with his lineup.

It was HERM that decided to convert Shaun Ellis into a DT after a successful stint as a DE.

It was HERM that brought in the WCO and tried to fit square peg Vinny into a round hole.

It was Herm that gave Pennington far too many snaps during the pre season of '03, leaving himself little time to scramble and have VT ready once our "franchise" qb was injured.

It was HERM that promised Lamont Jordan each year that he would be utilized more, only to break said promise and leave Martin exposed. Had he gotten Jordan more reps, he might have stayed, or, at the very least, reduced the wear and tear on CM.

It was Herm that rushed Pennington back far too early from major shoulder surgery. It was in the best interest of the team and player, to have sat him down and allow him to heal. Herm sealed his own fate, the fate of Pennington and the team, by not sitting him down.

It was HERM that pushed Pennington back out onto the field VS. Jax when he obviously looked injured. Did Chad want back in? Of course he did, however, Herm should have stepped in and used better judgment. Everyone knew that Chad was hurt, why couldn't he see this?

The point is that Herm could not make any adjustments. He was completely at the mercy of his coordinators, especially Hackett. How often did we read about Herm, Chad, Vinny and Hackett, going through the playbooks and "ripping out" plays that were useless or did not work? How often did we read that the offense was conservative to a fault, predictable, yet remained the same?

It was Herm that threw Hackett under the bus, it was Herm that said he finally had the staff and players he needed to succeed. It was Herm that failed this team as a head coach.

Not onyl was Herm incapable of making ingame adjustments, he was a terrible judge of talent and made horrible adjustments with his lineup.

It was HERM that decided to convert Shaun Ellis into a DT after a successful stint as a DE.

It was HERM that brought in the WCO and tried to fit square peg Vinny into a round hole.

It was Herm that gave Pennington far too many snaps during the pre season of '03, leaving himself little time to scramble and have VT ready once our "franchise" qb was injured.

It was HERM that promised Lamont Jordan each year that he would be utilized more, only to break said promise and leave Martin exposed. Had he gotten Jordan more reps, he might have stayed, or, at the very least, reduced the wear and tear on CM.

It was Herm that rushed Pennington back far too early from major shoulder surgery. It was in the best interest of the team and player, to have sat him down and allow him to heal. Herm sealed his own fate, the fate of Pennington and the team, by not sitting him down.

It was HERM that pushed Pennington back out onto the field VS. Jax when he obviously looked injured. Did Chad want back in? Of course he did, however, Herm should have stepped in and used better judgment. Everyone knew that Chad was hurt, why couldn't he see this?

The point is that Herm could not make any adjustments. He was completely at the mercy of his coordinators, especially Hackett. How often did we read about Herm, Chad, Vinny and Hackett, going through the playbooks and "ripping out" plays that were useless or did not work? How often did we read that the offense was conservative to a fault, predictable, yet remained the same?

It was Herm that threw Hackett under the bus, it was Herm that said he finally had the staff and players he needed to succeed. It was Herm that failed this team as a head coach.

That, my friends, sums up Herms 5 year run in a nutshell. Great work mate.

Somebody needs to send that post over to Spermy Edwards imposter so it can be posted on the Chiefs message board.

That is just too good to let to go to waste.

Archived