Who are our Building Blocks for a successful future?

Warfish

Our DL worth keeping(for the most part), upgrade safety, fortify LB.. sauce, DJ the corner, back room is good

Scrap the whole offense, except keep Tippin , AVT, Mitchell , Carter Warren, Breece, Izzy 

keep Ruckert, Conklin

keep G Wilson.

everyone else a dumpster fire…

On specials our kicker n punter…

disclaimer, this list was made before coffee

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Title says it all.

Who are our truly elite players worth building around in a rational future effort to build this franchise?

This morning I'd rather think about what we have, rather than what we don't have.

Garrett Wilson, Sauce Gardner, Jermaine Johnson, Breece Hall, AVT, Joe Tippman , Quincy & Quinnen Williams to name a few. Those are the ones that come to mind.

I think on the D-side Sauce. both Quincy and Quinnen Williams. JJ On the offensive side Just Garrett Wilson. 

I think Breece is special but I don't know If I would give him major money

AVT has injury issues.

Becton has issues with Speed rushers.

I like Mosely and Reed but I don't see them as guys you can build around.

19 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

It doesn’t really matter if we don’t finally figure out the long term QB position. Houston is a way less talented roster but with that QB anything is possible. The way the game is played now you are pretty much DOA without a top signal caller back there.

Hopefully douglas has realized that all these nice players he’s drafted do not translate to wins unless you have a qb.  And here’s the funny thing - you don’t need to draft one in the first round.  But you do need to keep drafting them b/c belichick’s theory that the draft is a lottery and the more picks you have the better your chances is essentially true.  

• Post of the Week 1

The entire defense is good to run it back next season. 

Don’t have to pay anyone yet on that side. I would let Huff walk. 

G Wilson, Breece, Tippman and AVT only ones on the other side. Keep Ruck and Conklin. 

It might seem like a big task but the offense can easily be rebuilt in one offseason. I’m sure they’ll make it as hard as possible though. 

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

G Wilson, Breece, Tippman and AVT only ones on the other side. Keep Ruck and Conklin. 

It might seem like a big task but the offense can easily be rebuilt in one offseason. I’m sure they’ll make it as hard as possible though. 

If they can get a 2 at least for huff they might, that’s a pick they could use on a qb.  

6 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Letting our best pass rusher walk? Why?

23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Letting our best pass rusher walk? Why?

If he doesn’t demand a huge pay day, then sure. But if he wants some insane contract. Let him go. Lawson will free up money so we’ll see.

JJ is good. JFM is fine pass rusher. And you drafted Will McDonald. You created a “pipeline” of talent. Use it. 

My overall thought on that is I’d rather use that money on offense. He’s awesome but I’m willing to take the hit if it’ll help bring in a top free agent OL or whatever. 

Truly elite (top 5-10 at position + young/under contract) building blocks 

Sauce

GW17

QW

Quincy Williams 

Breece Hall

MCII

Solid building blocks or older stars

Jermaine Johnson

DJ Reed (he should be above - but he only has one more year on contract after next) 

AVT

JFM

Younger guys who have potential

Tippman 

Will McDonald

Ruckert

Sherwood

Please find a way to keep him

Bryce Huff 

No one wants to hear it and I understand why - but its actually a pretty good young core. Will be great to see over the next few years how the Jets **** it up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Title says it all.

Who are our truly elite players worth building around in a rational future effort to build this franchise?

This morning I'd rather think about what we have, rather than what we don't have.

The only elite player on the roster is Quinnen Williams.  The rest of the players that are even remoting considered "elite" are in reality over hyped sh*t birds who make 1 impact play every 10 games and are only elite in name, not by play.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

If he doesn’t demand a huge pay day, then sure. But if he wants some insane contract. Let him go. Lawson will free up money so we’ll see.

JJ is good. JFM is fine pass rusher. And you drafted Will McDonald. You created a “pipeline” of talent. Use it. 

My overall thought on that is I’d rather use that money on offense. He’s awesome but I’m willing to take the hit if it’ll help bring in a top free agent OL or whatever. 

Agreed.  Hate to see him leave but we will be stuck paying for a tackle in free agency, possibly 2.  Cant see going into 2024 counting on Warren or Mitchell as your starter.  it would be great if one of them developed but making that your plan for 2024 is too risky.  

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

The only elite player on the roster is Quinnen Williams.  The rest of the players that are even remoting considered "elite" are in reality over hyped sh*t birds who make 1 impact play every 10 games and are only elite in name, not by play.  

Interesting.  I think we'd find several people, perhaps even including me, who think QW isn't elite either, and might match your "1 impact play every 10 games", at least this year post his big payday.

I do think he's still a player we build around tho, and perhaps I shouldn't have used "elite", but more just "core players", guys worth keeping and trying to build a team around.

Just now, Warfish said:

Interesting.  I think we'd find several people, perhaps even including me, who think QW isn't elite either, and might match your "1 impact play every 10 games", at least this year post his big payday.

I do think he's still a player we build around tho, and perhaps I shouldn't have used "elite", but more just "core players", guys worth keeping and trying to build a team around.

If you have a qb you build around that guy and add core players.  Douglas seems to be pretty good at adding these types of players.  It’s the qb he’s failed at and that’s really half the gm’s job.  

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Quinnen and Quincy Williams, Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Jordan Whitehead, Jeremy Ruckert, AVT, Joe Tippman, and Thomas F-in Morstead!

This. I’d add MC2 and Huff.

Not locking up Huff before this season was just more bad GMing from Joe, like awful. Consider the arrogance that goes into burning a 1st rounder on an over-aged player to replace Huff next year = no need for 1st to contribute this year. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Selective memory.  He's made impact plays this year and a ton last year when they were in more games.  He made impact plays yesterday, it just doesnt matter right now because they suck so bad.  He is, 100% elite, and the straw that stirs the drink for the rest of the DL and his brother/Mosley.

Core player on defense?  Both Q. Will's, Sauce, Reed, JJ, Huff.  If they can find a way to keep them together w/ McDonald emerging on short reps, the D will be fine for a long time.

Offense?  I would not say they have a single core player, I mean, I guess Garrett Wilson but every single player on offense can be and should be upgraded.  There isnt a single position I feel confident in at all going forward or a single player where I say, well, at least we got that dude to help build the offense. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Selective memory.  He's made impact plays this year and a ton last year when they were in more games.  He made impact plays yesterday, it just doesnt matter right now because they suck so bad.  He is, 100% elite, and the straw that stirs the drink for the rest of the DL and his brother/Mosley.

/shrug, I'll be honest, with the state of things I just don't care enough right now to argue the point, lol.  He's here, he's got a huge cap number, he's not going anywhere anytime soon, so I hope you're right that he is elite going forward.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Core player on defense?  Both Q. Will's, Sauce, Reed, JJ, Huff.  If they can find a way to keep them together w/ McDonald emerging on short reps, the D will be fine for a long time.

Sounds about right.  Sauce, definitely.  The Q's, aye I think so (not sure how Douglas feels on the LB Q tbh).  Reed?  Eh, maybe.  JJ and MacDonald probably, given their #1 picks in year 1 and 2.  Huff, probably not I think they missed the boat on that and he'll sign elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Offense?  I would not say they have a single core player, I mean, I guess Garrett Wilson but every single on player on offense can be and should be upgraded.  There isnt a single position I feel confident in at all going forward or a single player where I say, well, at least we got that dude to help build the offense. 

I disagree some.  G.Wilson, obviously IMO is a core guy, a legit #1 with any decent QB.  Hall, I think so for the next 3-4 seasons (health presumed of course).  Ruckert.  AVT if he can ever stay healthy.  Tippmann.  I like and have faith these guys are good enough to build around, but as someone said, on O it's mostly the QB and we're utterly and completely lacking there at current.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Offense?  I would not say they have a single core player, I mean, I guess Garrett Wilson but every single player on offense can be and should be upgraded.  There isnt a single position I feel confident in at all going forward or a single player where I say, well, at least we got that dude to help build the offense. 

Here’s the problem, it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a qb.  This gm has drafted more good players than previous gms combined.  He signs Quincy and he’s real good.  The bottom third of our roster does not suck anymore.  From that perspective it’s a pleasure.  This gm drafted both the offensive and defensive rookie of the year and that’s besides what hall was doing before he went down.

and yet if you don’t have legit qb options all this is irrelevant b/c it just doesn’t translate to wins.  I think douglas has one more draft here and if he can’t demonstrate that he can find even a decent qb in the draft he’s gone.  All this other crap is window dressing

• Upvote 1