Shouldn't Zach Wilson be demoted to the practice squad?

Kleckineau

He has a guaranteed contract, which is why he won't be cut.

If we cut him, some other team waits until he clears waivers and then signs him to a minimum salary deal.

And then the Jets are paying him $9M this year and $11M next year to be on another team, which they won't want to do.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol what’s wrong with you ppl? He’s not playing. Relax. 

He won’t hurt you anymore, gonna be okay. 

Besides the fact that the league does not require emergency qbs to be on the roster anymore (and Zach wilson is wasting a roster spot) 

He's also a locker room cancer and when he's benched he mopes around like a little bish 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

If we cut him, some other team waits until he clears waivers and then signs him to a minimum salary deal.

And then we are paying him $9M this year and $11M next year to be on another team.

11m is his cap number he's only owed 5.5 in cash for 2024 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

And then the Jets are paying him $9M this year and $11M next year to be on another team, which they won't want to do.

This does not prevent the NYJ getting him off the field an onto the PS.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kleckineau said:

This does not prevent the NYJ getting him off the field an onto the PS.

Yes it does - you have to waive him, and he has to clear waivers, before you can sign him to the PS.

His cap hit would accelerate, making him more expensive for this season.

Plus, once he clears waivers, why would he sign back to the Jets' PS?

He would choose to sign elsewhere, and the Jets would have a huge cap hit to see him on another team.

Just not worth it, cap wise, to waive him now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, xboxjets said:

You can't go to the practice squad after being a starter in the NFL for 3 years. 

Is that an actual part of the NFL players association agreement? 

Regardless, he doesn't  have to suit up, they can leave him back in Jersey and I hope that they do. The camera will be on his sad sack little mug the whole game.

Wouldn’t be the best look to put him in street clothes after the team pumped him up for the past few months. I’ve never been a Zach fan but we should still be cognizant of the image we’re showing to everyone. Treat your players well, especially when they haven’t done anything wrong other than be bad on the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, xboxjets said:

You can't go to the practice squad after being a starter in the NFL for 3 years. 

You can too.  The Jets are carrying Rodger Saffold on the practice squad and he was a starter in the NFL for 13 years.  They loosened up those rules about games started and accrued seasons some time ago.  I think that the current rule are up to 10 players with under 2 years of accrued seasons and 6 with no limitations at all.  I think the other 6 slots have to have less than 9 active games.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Wouldn’t be the best look to put him in street clothes after the team pumped him up for the past few months. I’ve never been a Zach fan but we should still be cognizant of the image we’re showing to everyone. Treat your players well, especially when they haven’t done anything wrong other than be bad on the field. 

Probably more humane leaving him in NJ. It will be an even worse look having him sitting on the bench like a pariah and the TV directors will have the camera on him at every opportunity. 

Just now, Kleckineau said:

Probably more humane leaving him in NJ. It will be an even worse look having him sitting on the bench like a pariah and the TV directors will have the camera on him at every opportunity. 

You may be right. Maybe they spoke with him about it. I’m sure he’s planning for the future, being off the Jets, already. 

I presume he will not be on the P.S. because either:

1. JD plans to bring him back in some role in 2024.

or

2. JD believes he can trade Zach for some other asset.

Both waiving him (needed to get him on the P.S.) and whilst on the P.S. Zach would be free to any other team.  

So those are really the only two real-world reasons to keep him on the 53 man roster.

59 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

With Boyle starting and Semian #2 why should he dress for the game?What purpose will that serve?  Kick his pouty little face out of here. Will Woody Magoo permit it? He will only serve as a distraction and the TV cameras will be eating it up.

Wtf does it matter... Game day inactive

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Besides the fact that the league does not require emergency qbs to be on the roster anymore (and Zach wilson is wasting a roster spot) 

He's also a locker room cancer and when he's benched he mopes around like a little bish 

There’s actually zero evidence of that but alright. Whatever makes you happy. 

Putting Zach Wilson on the Practice Squad basically cuts him.  His salary cap is accelerated (they may not even have room for it), and to the extent anyone would trade anything for him, they will not have to.  I think the salary cap hit is the worst part.

My guess is that the Jets release ZW and let him find his own team, rather than trade him to Green Bay for a 3rd round pick (the Jets send the pick in exchange for GB picking up his salary).  

The Jets could have traded Michael Carter.  They could have traded Wilson in the off season, for something.  He is no worse than Trey Lance.  

Just bad management.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol what’s wrong with you ppl? He’s not playing. Relax. 

He won’t hurt you anymore, gonna be okay. 

We don't want to see him on the sidelines!!! There’s always a chance he impacts the game. What if he trips one of our players? sh*t happens.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF