Realistic way to fix the team this offseason;

Gio-Jets

Although you can never say 100% something will or won’t happen I think it’s fair to assume the following to be locks; 

-Woody will still own the team

-Joe Douglas stays

-Aaron Rodgers will be QB1

-Nathaniel Hackett will still be here

So the way I see things the moves we have to make is to fire Robert Saleh and release Zach Wilson.

The head coach I would target would be Ben Johnson the OC for the Detroit Lions. This way it would enable Johnson to construct the offense and call plays. Hackett will be kept around for Rodgers sake and he can keep the OC title and not look like a demotion etc. 

If we keep Saleh and run it back I just think we are going to run into a lot of similar problems we’ve found this year.

We will probably lose Jeff Ulbrich as he may leave with Saleh but if not then he would basically have control of the defensive side of the team and he may love that challenge. If not then any experienced talented DC would love to get their hands on this unit. 

All in all I genuinely think someone needs to move on this offseason. Woody isn’t selling the team, JD has got enough rope left I believe and Rodgers is here for at least another year. Saleh needs to go and we need to bring in Ben Johnson. We need to find that next offensive mind and he seems to be the perfect option.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Interesting comments.  i don't necessarily agree with the premise of not only allowing a GM on the hot seat to hire a new head coach and I assume the coach will feel similarly.  Compound that by saddling the new offensive minded head coach with a holdover assistant to satisfy a player who might be here for only one year.  Total misalignment, though that actually might mean it will turn out to be the plan based on our recent history.

If I had to guess I say the Jets run it back for one more year.  Just makes too much sense compared to any other scenario.   Sure the way the QB situation was handled was a total cluster F$%k but even under the best of circumstances it was gonna be hard to win much once QB1 goes down.  You think the Bengals are winning much with Burrow out?  Same thing if the Chiefs were without Mahomes or the bIlls without Allen?  Now if Rodgers can't commit to coming back at the end of the season than I retract everything and then all bets are off. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

So the new head coach should come into what feels like a very dysfunctional situation with a lane duck GM and QB attached at the hip to an Adam gase level bad OC.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'll take Adam Gase any day over the Disaster known as Nathanial Hackett.

Think about it, this bum Hackett is SO BAD and must have left such a dumpster fire in Denver (Russell Wilson looks Night and Day better THIS year over last.  Denver couldn't score last year. Why is that?) that it caused Sean Payton to call him out for being the disaster that he is.  I could be wrong but has Payton at anytime in his career bad mouthed anyone else like he did Hackett?  I don't think so.  It's like professionals in various different industries, they just don't bad mouth those within their industry no matter how much criticism is warranted, but Payton couldn't hold back and now you see, clear as daylight, that PAYTON WAS RIGHT!!

Then you had the lame WWE type stuff from Rodgers saying "keep my coach's name out your mouth".

Hackett has to be Fired ASAP, he is presiding over something that is at close to the WORST Offense in NFL History, and I don't care how bad the QB was, this guy has No Imagination and can't think 2 moves ahead.

If the Jets are still giving Hackett a paycheck next year they'd be better off canceling the season.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The grass is always greener in Jets fantasy land. This is how you end up with Mike Maccagnan and John Idzick. Has Joe Douglas been perfect? Far from it. But he's the best Jets GM since Mike Tannenbaum. 

joe douglas has constructed a team with a historically inept offense. he has pretty much bombed 3 out of 4 drafts also. 2022 draft was his one achievement. he has completely failed to assemble even a passable offensive line. he's had 4 years to do so. he picked zach wilson and then after his aaron rodgers gambit blew up 4 plays into the season he failed to bring in a viable quarterback to play (something we should have had on the roster to back up raodgers before the damn season started). i'd rather not watch another year of this show, it sucks

• Post of the Week 2

They run it back with mostly the same staff. Obviously a few tweaks. I predict Rex Hogan to get axed.  Need somebody to take a fall. 

Focus will obv be on offense. They’ll get a veteran backup to AR. 

They'll try for the big fishes at WR but won’t happen. Raiders won’t end up trading Adams. The most realistic(maybe) target will prob be Michael Pittman. 

1 hour ago, Gio-Jets said:

Although you can never say 100% something will or won’t happen I think it’s fair to assume the following to be locks; 

-Joe Douglas stays

So the way I see things the moves we have to make is to fire Robert Saleh and release Zach Wilson.

The head coach I would target would be Ben Johnson the OC for the Detroit Lions. This way it would enable Johnson to construct the offense and call plays. Hackett will be kept around for Rodgers sake and he can keep the OC title and not look like a demotion etc. 

If we keep Saleh and run it back I just think we are going to run into a lot of similar problems we’ve found this year.

We will probably lose Jeff Ulbrich as he may leave with Saleh but if not then he would basically have control of the defensive side of the team and he may love that challenge. If not then any experienced talented DC would love to get their hands on this unit. 

All in all I genuinely think someone needs to move on this offseason. Woody isn’t selling the team, JD has got enough rope left I believe and Rodgers is here for at least another year. Saleh needs to go and we need to bring in Ben Johnson. We need to find that next offensive mind and he seems to be the perfect option.

Ben Johnson is likely going to be the hottest coaching candidate out there. No coach with options is going to take a job with Rodgers likely retiring in 1 year (Rodgers isn't going to learn a new offense either), a GM on the hot seat, multiple deals on the verge of expiration, and an offensive line that needs 3-5 starters. Saleh is staying. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gio-Jets said:

-Joe Douglas stays

Or maybe they launch saleh and promote Ulbrich.  Oh I’m sure many say he’s another defensive coach but maybe he also has a better grasp of the offense.  Ulbrich was also an nfl lb for a few seasons.

42 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

They run it back with mostly the same staff. Obviously a few tweaks. I predict Rex Hogan to get axed.  Need somebody to take a fall. 

Focus will obv be on offense. They’ll get a veteran backup to AR. 

They'll try for the big fishes at WR but won’t happen. Raiders won’t end up trading Adams. The most realistic(maybe) target will prob be Michael Pittman. 

Hogan? Hogan is one of the bright spots in this FO.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Ozzie Newsome drafted Kyle Boller before hitting on Flacco and Lamar.

Douglas built a roster strong enough to attract Aaron Rodgers.  There are potential Hall of Famers on the team.  

JD has earned a shot to try drafting at least one more QB early.  

He attracted AR because no one else wanted him.

7 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

How so?

He built a good team of scouts that found players like Huff, MCII and Reed. Yes his scouts are responsible for Zach and Mims but also responsible for JFM and Quincy Williams. He is creating a pipeline for this team. The Jets have been snake bitten by injuries this year. It happens.

• Upvote 2

The person here to put the blame is owner Woody Johnson!!!! Remember he pushed the GM to sign Aaron Rodgers and to get Rodgers he pushed again the GM to sign Hackett and WRs (Lazard and Cobbs) so Rodgers could sign with the Jets.

Remember the Jets had a chance to sign Carr but passed in favor for Rodgers. With Carr they could have had a longer term QB but no Woody wanted Rodgers badly. 

I don't blame Salah or Douglas, the person to blame is owner Woody Johnson!!! Every time he meddles with the team nothing comes out right. Remember Brett Favre trade and Tebow both times he was a huge part bringing them to the Jets and both times they fell apart bad. Woody wants to sell PSL's and also try to make and win the Super Bowl which is his only goal. 

Now Woody has to swallow his pride yet again and let his GM Joe Douglas try to clean the mess he created by signing the likes of Lazard and Cobbs also signing Hackett.

This offseason will be a sort of rebuild because the offensive line needs to be rebuilt completely and it will still be questionable. They will need to draft another QB to replace Zack Wilson and have him sit and learn the offense. Its proof that starting them immediately is wrong even if they are drafted in the first round. Look at Chad Pennington, he was drafted in the first round and didn't start until the fourth season. The Jets have alot of work ahead of them and the only one getting in the way from doing their job is owner Woody Johnson. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

joe douglas has constructed a team with a historically inept offense. he has pretty much bombed 3 out of 4 drafts also. 2022 draft was his one achievement. he has completely failed to assemble even a passable offensive line. he's had 4 years to do so. he picked zach wilson and then after his aaron rodgers gambit blew up 4 plays into the season he failed to bring in a viable quarterback to play (something we should have had on the roster to back up raodgers before the damn season started). i'd rather not watch another year of this show, it sucks

Who else did you want Douglas to draft ahead of Zach Wilson? He was the consensus #2 QB in the draft (some had him #1) and the Jets just watched three years of the meddling Sam Darnold. The Jets needed a QB, and Douglas swung on a one. I won't fault a GM for that -- you just can't pass on him there. Of course hindight is 20/20, but Wilson was worth the risk at the time. 

This draft class looks like it's going to net two very nice players in Will McDonald and Joe Tippman. Carter Warren is finally healthy and is the next man up -- he played well last week, in limited action. We'll see if he can be a contributor. Izzy looks like he can play but that is very much TBD. We'll see.

His first draft class was sunk by Mekhi Becton weight issues and injury. Looked like a franchise LT in year one and everything went off the rails. Ashtyn Davis has turned into, dare I say it, a quality backup and fringe starter. Bryce Hall has started a bunch of games and is buried on the depth chart because three of the best CBs in the game are in front of him. Brandon Echols has been a good depth piece. AVT is a pro-bowl quality guard and/or swing tackle when healthy. Jamien Sherwood is the 1st backup LB behind two of the best linebackers in football.

Sauce Garner is the best CB in football. Michael Carter is the best nickel in football. Garrett Wilson is one of the best young WRs in the game. Jermaine Johnson will be a 10+ sack edge (when has that EVER happened? John Abraham?). Breece Hall is one of the best young homerun hitting backs in the league. Jeremy Ruckert looks like he'll be the future starter at TE. Michael Clemons is a regular in the DL rotation. 

In every draft, Douglas has netted 2+ starting caliber NFL players. Even his first draft, which "sucked," netted Mekhi Becton, Bryce Hall, Ashtyn Davis...all of whom, while "disappointing" will probably start for other teams next year.

Douglas also found JFM and Quincy Wiliams off the trash heap, and Tony Adams and Bryce Huff as UDFA gems. All four players have been excellent pieces to this defense. 

So, yeah. Randall Cobb sucks, Allan Lazard's hasn't been worth a roster spot let alone the $11 million/year he's making, Laken Tomlinson has been a FA bust, and Dalvin Cook is toast. Yeah, Douglas should have had a better plan for the OL in 2023, but resources are limited and good LT's don't grow on trees. 

Douglas has had his mistakes -- but he's put together a phenomenal amount of talent in the last four years and firing him would be the dumbest decision this organization has made in a very long time. 

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

he also has built a good to maybe great defense.

after what we witness the last 2 years we have seen any QB not named Zach (Flacco, Johnson, White) avg more yards and score more points per game than Zach. 

so we really dont know if this offense is that bad. i think if Rodgers played this year we are not even talking about a bad offense. 

i got to see just one year with a good QB what this team is before i get rid of JD. Zach has handicapped everything around him.