Why the Pats Win Super Bowls: Part Two, by Richard Seymour

TomShane

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YJF and Scott - That is the point.

The Jets do not take chances. Belichick took a chance Brady might develop into a great QB. He did. He took a chance that the hodge podge collection of OL will be able to replace Damien Woody. They did. He took a chance a rookie CB will be able to replace Lawyer Milloy. Ted Washington was replaced by Traylor and Wilfork. Now it looks like Samuel, Starks and Gay will be looked at to replace Ty Law.

The Jets had a very good consistent and reliable running back in Curtis Martin that was sucking up a good portion of the salary cap. Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I believe he is eventually going to cause the Jets to swallow hard. They drafted a RB with a vast amount of potential. 4 years later they still have a good reliable back, that has the salary cap hit hangin over his head and Lamont is playing ofr Oakland.

Would it be a surprise if he gains 1500 yards? No. I am not saying Lamont is Barry Sanders and Emiit Smith rolled into one, but he looks to be the real deal and unless forced, the Jets have been reluctant to change things.

Dare to be great.

Every team is trying to be "GREAT". The Martin-Jordan issue is not a Pennington-Testaverde issue.

Vinny's play was declining. He had a huge cap figure. Herm decided to bench him and go with the young unproven QB. The team was upset and was against Vinny being benched.

Martin has been a big time producer for this team. There was no reason to bench him or cut him. He continues to be a big time player for this team. People act like he's an anchor?????.. When he is actually one of the premiere captains on this ship.

Every team takes chances. Some work out and some don't. The Jets took a huge gamble letting Coles go and trading up to get Robertson. I'd say that was daring. They put three good players up for grabs in the expansion draft. That was a smart and daring move that had to be done. Even though, I miss Aaron Glenn. It had to be done.

It's not like The Jets are not trying to be great or win a championship. Every team is trying to do that.

The Pats have been the most successful. They have the rings to prove it. The other 30 teams besides The Bucs have fallen short in the last 4 years.

Shock! Inferior competition doesn't threaten a starter. One needs to have serious, legit competition in addition to camp fodder.Know that the best man will start. :wink:

Ok for what I believe is the 3rd time in this thread-Quit with theh protyope pat GM answer of "competition creates urgency", and tell us specifically who should be starting over whom?

YIKES

Ok for what I believe is the 3rd time in this thread-Quit with theh protyope pat GM answer of "competition creates urgency", and tell us specifically who should be starting over whom?

YIKES

Won't that depend on training camp results? Who the team brings in for their 80 some odd man roster swell? Way too early for rock solid projections. Especially from a Pats fan. [-X

YJF - Was Chad so bad after his rookie season that a QB that threw 25 picks deserved to start?

Was Chad so bad after his second season on the bench, that a QB that threw 15 TDs and 14 INTs deserved to start?

Or was Chad finally good enough when the team bombed at the start of 2002 and there was nowhere else to go but up?

You see what I am getting at? Until the Jets collective backs were against the wall did Chad finally get to start.

I understand your point about Martin. He has been probably one of the steadiest producers in NFL history. Unlike VT, Martin's production has been steady, if not spectacular. Yet, the team saw a need to draft a RB in the second round four years ago.

Here are Curtis' cap figures (according to NFLPA.org):

2005 3,683,333.00 - He will be 32.

2006 6,216,667.00 - He will be 33.

2007 4,351,667.00 - He will be 34.

2008 5,150,000.00 - He will be 35.

2009 6,000,000.00 - He will be 36.

Eventually, the Jets are going to have to cut the ties with Curtis. Maybe Curtis will keep spitting out 1,697 yard seasons until he is 36 and justify the salary. Or maybe, the pass will start becoming more of a staple of the Jets offense, as has been the case with Dingleberry's offenses in Tennessee, and having a 6 million dollar 1100 yard RB that is 33 will not be cost effective. What then? You cut him and he still has a signing bonus spread out over 3 seasons that you swallow. Who does not get resigned then? Vilma? Strait?

The Jets lack vision and unlike the mantra said around Foxboro, it is not personal, it is a business. Jets should have cut ties with Curtis a few season back and tied their future to the legs of Lamont. However, in a few short seasons, they might be on the cusp of greatness, but will not have a RB.

Won't that depend on training camp results? Who the team brings in for their 80 some odd man roster swell? Way too early for rock solid projections. Especially from a Pats fan. [-X

I can only assume, then, that your point is without merit. You refuse to say who wthe Jets should be starting in place of teh starters they currently have.

Anyone can say-Competition breeds a sense of urgency from players. You make that generalization like you have some insight on teh Jets, yet fail to characterize with any specifics.

I can only assume, then, that your point is without merit. You refuse to say who wthe Jets should be starting in place of teh starters they currently have.

Anyone can say-Competition breeds a sense of urgency from players. You make that generalization like you have some insight on teh Jets, yet fail to characterize with any specifics.

Offense

Running Back

C. Martin

L. Jordan

J. Davis

Fullback

J. Sowell

B. Askew

Wide Receiver

S. Moss

W. Chrebet

J. Cotchery

Quarterback

C. Pennington

Q. Carter

B. Bollinger

Wide Receiver

J. McCareins

J. Carter

Right Tackle

K. McKenzie

M. Cavka

Right Guard

B. Moore

Center

K. Mawae

J. Goodwin

Left Guard

P. Kendall

Left Tackle

J. Fabini

Tight End

A. Becht

C. Baker

J. Dearth

Defense

Left Defensive End

S. Ellis

B. Thomas

Left Defensive Tackle

D. Robertson

A. Harper

J. Evans

Right Defensive Tackle

J. Ferguson

J. Reed

Right Defensive End

J. Abraham

T. Johnson

Left Outside Linebacker

V. Hobson

M. Brown

Middle Linebacker

S. Cowart

J. Vilma

K. Wright

Right Outside Linebacker

E. Barton

J. Glenn

D. McClover

Left Cornerback

D. Abraham

T. Buckley

R. Mickens

Free Safety

E. Coleman

J. McGraw

D. Pagel

Strong Safety

R. Tongue

R. Washington

Right Cornerback

D. Barrett

D. Strait

R. Bryant

J. Henderson

Special Teams

Kicker

D. Brien

T. Gowin

Punter

T. Gowin

Kick Returner

L. Jordan

J. Carter

Punt Returner

S. Moss

J. McCareins

Long Snapper

J. Dearth

K. Mawae

Holder

T. Gowin

As you can see this depth chart is outdated and will be until opening day essentially.See my problem?

Offense

Running Back

C. Martin

L. Jordan

J. Davis

Fullback

J. Sowell

B. Askew

Wide Receiver

S. Moss

W. Chrebet

J. Cotchery

Quarterback

C. Pennington

Q. Carter

B. Bollinger

Wide Receiver

J. McCareins

J. Carter

Right Tackle

K. McKenzie

M. Cavka

Right Guard

B. Moore

Center

K. Mawae

J. Goodwin

Left Guard

P. Kendall

Left Tackle

J. Fabini

Tight End

A. Becht

C. Baker

J. Dearth

Defense

Left Defensive End

S. Ellis

B. Thomas

Left Defensive Tackle

D. Robertson

A. Harper

J. Evans

Right Defensive Tackle

J. Ferguson

J. Reed

Right Defensive End

J. Abraham

T. Johnson

Left Outside Linebacker

V. Hobson

M. Brown

Middle Linebacker

S. Cowart

J. Vilma

K. Wright

Right Outside Linebacker

E. Barton

J. Glenn

D. McClover

Left Cornerback

D. Abraham

T. Buckley

R. Mickens

Free Safety

E. Coleman

J. McGraw

D. Pagel

Strong Safety

R. Tongue

R. Washington

Right Cornerback

D. Barrett

D. Strait

R. Bryant

J. Henderson

Special Teams

Kicker

D. Brien

T. Gowin

Punter

T. Gowin

Kick Returner

L. Jordan

J. Carter

Punt Returner

S. Moss

J. McCareins

Long Snapper

J. Dearth

K. Mawae

Holder

T. Gowin

As you can see this depth chart is outdated and will be until opening day essentially.See my problem?

None of your analysisan be done on the past 3 years of rosters?

Pretty shoddy analysis. You claim teh Jets don't have competition at positions, and teh coaching staff makes it so, yet offer nothing in terms of evidence

None of your analysisan be done on the past 3 years of rosters?

Pretty shoddy analysis. You claim teh Jets don't have competition at positions, and teh coaching staff makes it so, yet offer nothing in terms of evidence

Sir,

My argument is to bring in legit competition during training camp. That hasn't yet happened (training camp) this year.What is your difficulty in understanding my position?

The article was for the most part completely true, but it was obviously written by a fan as it wreaked or self gratification. If it were on paper rather than on a website I would have washed my hands for fear of RS's DNA being all over it.

And most importantly it doesn't belong on a front page of a Jets forum. JMHO.

I can list a ton of good players in The NFL that are 31 or 32 years old and have big salaries. Should they all be cut?

When The Jets drafted Jordan. The plan was for him to be ready to replace Martin. Things changed because Martin didn't.

Some players have to be let go because of production issues/health issues and some because of money issues. The Jets right now don't have that problem with Martin.

When you are a star player. You get paid star money. That's what Curtis Martin is a star.On the field and off. He is deserving of the value attached to him.

Your best players get paid. There's only a short list of guys on each team that get taken care of. You have to keep your best players. If the player is healthy and on your top 5 list. You keep that player.

That's the mistake people make with Martin. He's one of The Jets best and most important players right now.

2 years from now. Who knows? It could be the end for him. The NFL is a right now league. Tommorow is not guaranteed, See Teddy Bruschi.

My guess is that Martin has two or three years left in him. He probably won't see the final two years of his deal. When The Jets signed him, He knew that and The Jets knew that. The contract is structured in a way that it will be easier to part ways than people think. The last two years are window dressing. The majority of the deal was frontloaded in bonuses.

Jets did not make a mistake keeping Martin. I refuse to believe that. You keep your best players.

I can list a ton of good players in The NFL that are 31 or 32 years old and have big salaries. Should they all be cut?

When The Jets drafted Jordan. The plan was for him to be ready to replace Martin. Things changed because Martin didn't.

Some players have to be let go because of production issues/health issues and some because of money issues. The Jets right now don't have that problem with Martin.

When you are a star player. You get paid star money. That's what Curtis Martin is a star.On the field and off. He is deserving of the value attached to him.

Your best players get paid. There's only a short list of guys on each team that get taken care of. You have to keep your best players. If the player is healthy and on your top 5 list. You keep that player.

That's the mistake people make with Martin. He's one of The Jets best and most important players right now.

2 years from now. Who knows? It could be the end for him. The NFL is a right now league. Tommorow is not guaranteed, See Teddy Bruschi.

My guess is that Martin has two or three years left in him. He probably won't see the final two years of his deal. When The Jets signed him, He knew that and The Jets knew that. The contract is structured in a way that it will be easier to part ways than people think. The last two years are window dressing. The majority of the deal was frontloaded in bonuses.

Jets did not make a mistake keeping Martin. I refuse to believe that. You keep your best players.

YJF Do you feel that the difference in pay between someone like CM and hypothetically, lets say

Jordan,is justifiable even though the production level between the two isn't so drastic as to guarantee an additional two game win?

IOW - The production disparity between the two isn't really worth the high cost. ( For martin).

Of course I'm assuming hypothetically, that a lesser known RB is marginally inferior to Martin.

Am I making any sense? :lol:

You gotta love the Pat fans. I could tell you legions of posts that I saw deriding Bill Bellichick upon his hiring, after his bleak first year, as well as at the Milloy cutting, following the bad year after the SB.

Now, because the "Genius" has won three, through a magical mystical progression of "genius osmosis" through Gillette Stadium, the FANS have now all become geniuses and can tell you precisely what is wrong with EVERY OTHER football team in teh league.

The day in teh sun is certainly fun for some, and I will not take that away from them. But some, I fear, have been in the sun too long.

YJF - You are wrong on one point. While Martin continued to be a productive back, the thing that changed is his age. He will be 32 when the 2005 season kicks off.

Another factor is what has been gained by his being the Jets RB the last four years? 35 wins (8.75 per year), 3 playoff appearances and 2 playoff wins. In five playoff games, he has zero TDs and 386 yards. Would the Jets have been that much worse with Jordan? Probably not. Could they have been better? Maybe.

Martin is being and is going to be paid to be a difference maker. Has he made that big of a difference? No. The Patriots managed to get two titles with Antowain Smith as a RB. The Jets are on the hook for close to 27 million for a back that is going to be 32 years old.

You gotta love the Pat fans. I could tell you legions of posts that I saw deriding Bill Bellichick upon his hiring, after his bleak first year, as well as at the Milloy cutting, following the bad year after the SB.

Now, because the "Genius" has won three, through a magical mystical progression of "genius osmosis" through Gillette Stadium, the FANS have now all become geniuses and can tell you precisely what is wrong with EVERY OTHER football team in teh league.

The day in teh sun is certainly fun for some, and I will not take that away from them. But some, I fear, have been in the sun too long.

I was one that hated his hiring.

Do you think Belichik would have kept Martin? Look at Troy Brown for your answer. There are wants and need. You want Curtis but truth be told, a lesser back could have been as productive. A better back, may have gotten you more then 35 wins and 2 playoffs the last 4 years.

Maybe you should look in the mirror skippy, if I had a dollar for every Jets swearing every player or coach loss is causing the patriots demise I would be rich.

I was one that hated his hiring.

Do you think Belichik would have kept Martin? Look at Troy Brown for your answer. There are wants and need. You want Curtis but truth be told, a lesser back could have been as productive. A better back, may have gotten you more then 35 wins and 2 playoffs the last 4 years.

Maybe you should look in the mirror skippy, if I had a dollar for every Jets swearing every player or coach loss is causing the patriots demise I would be rich.

Of course BB would have cut Martin, he does NOTHING wrong :roll: . It is EASY to play the game of "what so and so WOULD have done" The speculation game is easy when you are the Champion. It appears to be even moreso when you are a FAN of the champion :?

To compare Curtis Martin to Troy Brown with their situations, is pedestrian thinking at best. Please, don't insult us with that logic. The situations are TOTALLY different.

Please, Dorothy, spare us the drama of the high life of being a Pats fan

Of course BB would have cut Martin, he does NOTHING wrong :roll: . It is EASY to play the game of "what so and so WOULD have done" The speculation game is easy when you are the Champion. It appears to be even moreso when you are a FAN of the champion :?

To compare Curtis Martin to Troy Brown with their situations, is pedestrian thinking at best. Please, don't insult us with that logic. The situations are TOTALLY different.

Please, Dorothy, spare us the drama of the high life of being a Pats fan

Why because you say so? It is actually the point that Jets' fans can not wrap their fingers around. Belichik cut one of his favorite players in 30+ years of coaching in the NFL, because he was not worth the price tag. The same can be said of Martin.

It is funny that you dodged the question of Martin's actual value. Would the Jets have been significantly worse then 35 regular seasons and 2 post season wins without Martin?

With Martin the offense has been 17, 15, 24 and 17 in the league in points over the last 4 years. The only year it has been in the Top 10 during Martin's tenure, is when VT had a career year in 1998. The only time over the seven years Martin has carried the ball the team has won more then 10 games, is when VT had that career year. The Jets have not even been able to be consistently in the Top 10 in rushing during the Martin years: 13, 11, 24, 4, 22, 25 and 3.

Again other then Martin being a great guy, how much has he added to the product on the field?

Why because you say so? It is actually the point that Jets' fans can not wrap their fingers around. Belichik cut one of his favorite players in 30+ years of coaching in the NFL, because he was not worth the price tag. The same can be said of Martin.

It is funny that you dodged the question of Martin's actual value. Would the Jets have been significantly worse then 35 regular seasons and 2 post season wins without Martin?

With Martin the offense has been 17, 15, 24 and 17 in the league in points over the last 4 years. The only year it has been in the Top 10 during Martin's tenure, is when VT had a career year in 1998. The only time over the seven years Martin has carried the ball the team has won more then 10 games, is when VT had that career year. The Jets have not even been able to be consistently in the Top 10 in rushing during the Martin years: 13, 11, 24, 4, 22, 25 and 3.

Again other then Martin being a great guy, how much has he added to the product on the field?

So PFSKH You would have been in favor of the Jets rebuilding (that is essentially what you have to do after cutting players, to absorb the cap hit you will have by cutting Martin)?

No thanks. Where is your evidence that Jordan is this great stud?

Please, save the illogical comparisobns-Brown and Martin are entirely a differnt animal and a different story.

Your lumping is horrible.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I was careful NOT to criticize the Jets where it wasn't warranted, and if you guys want to get defensive about the negatives, feel free to stick your heads in the sand.

I didn't sugarcoat it for you. My apologies. If it's any comfort I could hold 31 other teams in the league up to the Pats and they'd come off the worse for it too. The sizable majority even worse than the Jets.

But the reality is that your QB is a cipher, a talented guy who had one year of absolute brilliance and has been injury-prone (and perhaps it's just bad luck--- McGinest used to be known as injury prone and he's been a warhorse for us in recent years--- but you only get so many years in the NFL) and inconsistant since then.

The reality is that your coach is a stirring motivator whose players seem to genuinely want to play for him, but he's also a guy prone to inexcusable mental lapses and oversights, a guy who for all his affability does not seem to inspire fanatical loyalty in his players, a guy who can't outscheme or outhustle the elite head coaches in this league. He's a guy who puts his team in a position to win, but doesn't put them in a position to win big. He's a motivator, but not a master motivator. When a coach makes as many errors as Edwards does, and brings as little to the gameplan table, he'd better be a guy his players will follow to hell and back, or a guy who can turn the dials and punch the buttons with Parcellsesque mastery. Herm is neither. He is a grillmaster.

The reality is that like it or not your GM sucks. I actually think he's learning a bit and getting better, but I cannot emphasize enough how badly I think he mishandled your team for a period of several years. I don't think Martin had to go.... but the extension Bradway gave him was just STUPID (though not as stupid as it could have been since CuMar's sipping from the fountain of youth, for now). Once the team knew it was cutting bait with Testaverde why didn't it cut bait? Because Bradway was afraid to deal with that big a cap hit at the time? Do you think it was tea and cupcakes for the Patriots to trade Bledsoe when they did? The cap hit sucked but Belichick saw the writing on the wall, bit the bullet, and got rid of Bledsoe. Bradway has stumbled in draft after draft (Nice pick on Vilma though, broken watch, twice a day) and made some other heinous contract offers and decisions. Don't get me started on D-Rob...

Was the article I wrote nice? Was it polite? Was it considerate? No, no, no. I like you guys, but I set out to write this without mollycoddling or oh-that's-OKing.... Tom asked me to write an article explaining why the Patriots win, and I did.

and to answer one specific critiques: No, I don't think my being a Patriots fan makes me better than you. It does however make it easier for me to see the flaws of your team. Sure, there are many virtues too, but this article wasn't about those virtues, and it wasn't meant to be.

btw Tom, you were right, it's a good thing I took out the "Sodomizing Puppies" line. This thread would be wayyyyy uglier if I hadn't....

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I was careful NOT to criticize the Jets where it wasn't warranted, and if you guys want to get defensive about the negatives, feel free to stick your heads in the sand.

I didn't sugarcoat it for you. My apologies. If it's any comfort I could hold 31 other teams in the league up to the Pats and they'd come off the worse for it too. The sizable majority even worse than the Jets.

But the reality is that your QB is a cipher, a talented guy who had one year of absolute brilliance and has been injury-prone (and perhaps it's just bad luck--- McGinest used to be known as injury prone and he's been a warhorse for us in recent years--- but you only get so many years in the NFL) and inconsistant since then.

The reality is that your coach is a stirring motivator whose players seem to genuinely want to play for him, but he's also a guy prone to inexcusable mental lapses and oversights, a guy who for all his affability does not seem to inspire fanatical loyalty in his players, a guy who can't outscheme or outhustle the elite head coaches in this league. He's a guy who puts his team in a position to win, but doesn't put them in a position to win big. He's a motivator, but not a master motivator. When a coach makes as many errors as Edwards does, and brings as little to the gameplan table, he'd better be a guy his players will follow to hell and back, or a guy who can turn the dials and punch the buttons with Parcellsesque mastery. Herm is neither. He is a grillmaster.

The reality is that like it or not your GM sucks. I actually think he's learning a bit and getting better, but I cannot emphasize enough how badly I think he mishandled your team for a period of several years. I don't think Martin had to go.... but the extension Bradway gave him was just STUPID (though not as stupid as it could have been since CuMar's sipping from the fountain of youth, for now). Once the team knew it was cutting bait with Testaverde why didn't it cut bait? Because Bradway was afraid to deal with that big a cap hit at the time? Do you think it was tea and cupcakes for the Patriots to trade Bledsoe when they did? The cap hit sucked but Belichick saw the writing on the wall, bit the bullet, and got rid of Bledsoe. Bradway has stumbled in draft after draft (Nice pick on Vilma though, broken watch, twice a day) and made some other heinous contract offers and decisions. Don't get me started on D-Rob...

Was the article I wrote nice? Was it polite? Was it considerate? No, no, no. I like you guys, but I set out to write this without mollycoddling or oh-that's-OKing.... Tom asked me to write an article explaining why the Patriots win, and I did.

and to answer one specific critiques: No, I don't think my being a Patriots fan makes me better than you. It does however make it easier for me to see the flaws of your team. Sure, there are many virtues too, but this article wasn't about those virtues, and it wasn't meant to be.

btw Tom, you were right, it's a good thing I took out the "Sodomizing Puppies" line. This thread would be wayyyyy uglier if I hadn't....

RS-It was a nice article, and I have stated so.

But to be brutally honest, it contains generalizations that are really not that earth shattering.

The Pats win because Brady and Bellichick are good? Wow, who would of thunk it?

Again, it was a nice article, but it was like Geraldo breaking into Al Capone's vault. You felt empty afterwards.

RS-It was a nice article, and I have stated so.

But to be brutally honest, it contains generalizations that are really not that earth shattering.

The Pats win because Brady and Bellichick are good? Wow, who would of thunk it?

Again, it was a nice article, but it was like Geraldo breaking into Al Capone's vault. You felt empty afterwards.

Heh. I hear you.... but you try writing that sucker...

"They just are", my first draft, was rejected by TS.

"Because Brady and Belichick are all-time greats and everything else about the team is really, really, really good, and the Jets have a decent QB, coach, and everything else is fairly, fairly, fairly good." was my second draft, but TS wanted me to lengthen it.

This was my third.

Heh. I hear you.... but you try writing that sucker...

"They just are", my first draft, was rejected by TS.

"Because Brady and Belichick are all-time greats and everything else about the team is really, really, really good, and the Jets have a decent QB, coach, and everything else is fairly, fairly, fairly good." was my second draft, but TS wanted me to lengthen it.

This was my third.

Again,rmation you are able to gather. We have neither the credentials nor the opportunity to probe that journalists have.

All we have left is our intuition and you did a great job based on that.

So PFSKH You would have been in favor of the Jets rebuilding (that is essentially what you have to do after cutting players, to absorb the cap hit you will have by cutting Martin)?

No thanks. Where is your evidence that Jordan is this great stud?

Please, save the illogical comparisobns-Brown and Martin are entirely a differnt animal and a different story.

Your lumping is horrible.

No, it is not different.

You have two players arguably the heart and soul of their respective teams. Using your logic only a QB is more valuable because they touch the football more then a RB. Troy Brown has been a productive wideout and punt returner and can be used as a DB in a pinch. Yes, Martin has a bigger role, but is it to the point it could not possibly be replaced by anybody? No. And to borrow Tex's point when was the last time Curtis was a major factor in a playoff game? Troy Brown has been prodictive in the playoffs.

Maybe it would have been a rebuilding year, but again would the Jets be much worse then the 25 wins they have had since Lamont's rookie year? Probably not. Jordan showed potential his rookie year. He could break long runs, something Martin does with less and less frequeny and he showed he could be a receiving threat. The problem as it always is with the Jets is they are scared and play it safe.

The fact is the Jets are in a much more precarious position now because of their inaction with Martin. If the Defense continues to improve as it should, and Dingleberry does everything all the Jets' fan experts think he can do, what if Martin all of a sudden becomes very average, we are talking Anotwain Smith average this year? The team loses probably it's best chance at dethroning the reigning dynasty in the NFL.

Maybe Lamont will bomb, but the fact is the Jets would never know because they fear change. Chad did not start until the absolute last possible moment. The Lamont fiasco just shows your organization can not see the forest for the trees.

note to richardseymour:

You have had nothing to do with the Patriots success the past 4 seasons

carry on........

EB50 ~ out

You are absolutely right, I have had nothing to do with the Patriots massive, sustained success. Nothing to do with the dynasty. I'm not involved in the brilliant decision-making, the all-time-great winning streak, the monumental dynastic coronation, or the incredible on the field play. I have nothing to do with these amazing players who will go down in history as one of the all time great teams. I have in no way contributed to the absurdly good 34-4 stretch over the past two years, a feat unprecedented in pro-football history. I am in no way, shape, or form a factor in the Patriots awesome, longlasting success.

Good point, EB.