Jump to content

Monday Night Miracle- The untold story


Jetkwondo

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Still one of my favorite sports memories ever 

the thing that always kills me about this game is that we wasted it - that team collapsed down the stretch. 
 

went from 6-1 to eventually 9-4 to losing three straight and missing the playoffs at 9-7. The last two losses were the disaster at home against Detroit and the classic Christmas Eve loss in Baltimore. 

Typical Jet fashion. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Still one of my favorite sports memories ever 

the thing that always kills me about this game is that we wasted it - that team collapsed down the stretch. 
 

went from 6-1 to eventually 9-4 to losing three straight and missing the playoffs at 9-7. The last two losses were the disaster at home against Detroit and the classic Christmas Eve loss in Baltimore. 

We actually put up points and yards against that vaunted Baltimore D.

I think if we made the playoffs that year we had a shot..

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

We actually put up points and yards against that vaunted Baltimore D.

I think if we made the playoffs that year we had a shot..

Yep, Vinny torched them up and down the field all day but also threw them the ball a bunch of times, including the pick six that changed the game right before the half. 
 

that was always Vinny with the turnovers 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a front office manager for a hotel at the time.  Night auditor called in sick.  So I had to leave my house to cover the 3rd shift which started at 11:00 p.m.  I was going back and forth between the desk and the nearest empty hotel room to have the game on.  Had to celebrate in silence.

Great memory…

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL I've told this story b4...so I had just bought a hot tub for my back porch....ran a coax wire out the kitchen window to a small tv sitting on top of some boxes. I was making so much noise screaming a yelling, I woke my wife up who came out back and barked "What the F is wrong with you??? It's past midnight and you're out here screaming. We have neighbors!!!"

Best yelling I had in a long while. I recall when the Jets were getting killed, Arnold Schwarzenegger (lol, yes I looked it up!) came into the booth and predicted a Jets comeback...they politely chuckled at him!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, doitny said:

maybe we can get Arnold to go tomorrow and tell everyone we will terminate the Dolphins.

seriously, is he a Jet fans? that was a Jet homer prediction. 

it could be possible with him coming from Austria he probably lived in NY while starting out acting.

He always lived in CA.  He just had a feeling

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was there that night but was gonna leave after the 3rd qtr to make work the next day. When I got to the helix all I saw was a sea of red lights as everyone had the same idea. Went back to my seat and enjoyed the rest of the game.
My favorite memory was Jason Taylor mocking Jet fans behind the Dolphins bench. Then sitting on the bench with his face in a towel when the Jets won.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FootballLove said:

LOL I've told this story b4...so I had just bought a hot tub for my back porch....ran a coax wire out the kitchen window to a small tv sitting on top of some boxes. I was making so much noise screaming a yelling, I woke my wife up who came out back and barked "What the F is wrong with you??? It's past midnight and you're out here screaming. We have neighbors!!!"

Best yelling I had in a long while. I recall when the Jets were getting killed, Arnold Schwarzenegger (lol, yes I looked it up!) came into the booth and predicted a Jets comeback...they politely chuckled at him!

I had just moved into a small apartment with my future wife, and she had long gone to bed as the comeback was occurring.  I tried to be as quiet as possible by whisper-yelling, but apparently I wasn’t as quiet as I thought because she eventually shouted out from the bedroom “You might as well yell out loud because I can hear you!”  So I didn’t hold back after that.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

If you saw it live or even just the replay, this version is an awesome retelling of one of the greatest NFL comebacks ever.

Thanks for posting....I was there...brought back a lot of memories.  Almost left, but was getting heckled by Flipper fans as I got up to leave and said F it I'm staying....Was awesome.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:
Watched that game with about 15 Dolphins fans. It was delicious. 

Another great comeback.against the fins... This game directly affected my sundays for 40 years 

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
 

 

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was the first Jets game I had been to in 10 years. Few into Manhattan Monday morning, stayed in mid-town. Decided to take the bus to the stadium. 1 ticket, great seat on the 20. Miserable experience, would have left but the bus didn’t leave until the game was over and so I enjoyed the best come back ever. I remember how empty the place was and how crazy the fans were at the end. Great experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching from UK so kick off was after 1am. Vaguely considered giving up at half time and getting some sleep, but decided I was going to be tired anyway so I might as well keep watching. 

It was after 5.30 AM when the 4th quarter was drawing to a close. The channel which was showing the game cut away from the coverage at 6 AM to start their regular daily scheduling (no, not Heidi :D) - so I had no idea what was happening in OT! Eventually they announced that the Jets had won it in OT. Had my breakfast and went to work having not slept at all that night. Boy was I tired that day.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best game I ever viewed live on TV as a Jets fan! Many have similar stories of waking up spouses and neighbors by the excitement of that comeback. Hearing the added commentary from those involved just added to the legendary comeback that took place that night. Forgot about Arnold's prediction which was from left field...

Also forgot about Dennis Miller announcing who I didn't really care for at the time  but who once delivered a pretty funny quote when they played NE with Damien Woody at center.  "As is the case in life, I think it's going to come down to who has the better Woody"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MykePM said:

I had just moved into a small apartment with my future wife, and she had long gone to bed as the comeback was occurring.  I tried to be as quiet as possible by whisper-yelling, but apparently I wasn’t as quiet as I thought because she eventually shouted out from the bedroom “You might as well yell out loud because I can hear you!”  So I didn’t hold back after that.

haha yup! i think we were all yelling that night!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...