Trade Defensive Talent to Improve Offense

I'm sick and tired of watching this undisciplined defense. Lots of great talent but not great football IQ - no feel for the pulse of the game. It almost makes it worse that they are so talented because they shoot themselves in the foot all the time. How many drive extended penalties have we had this year? Bottom line is this: noone is having fun watching this team. Very good D and horrible offense makes for unwatchable football. Trade some assets and put together a very good offense. Focus completely on offense. In today's NFL you cannot have your best unit be your defense. And if you want people to be interested in the team and care about watching games, you need to have a really good offense. I would much rather be in 37-30 games than 15-10. At least that's exciting and worth watching, win or lose. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

I'm sick and tired of watching this undisciplined defense. Lots of great talent but not great football IQ - no feel for the pulse of the game. It almost makes it worse that they are so talented because they shoot themselves in the foot all the time. How many drive extended penalties have we had this year? Bottom line is this: noone is having fun watching this team. Very good D and horrible offense makes for unwatchable football. Trade some assets and put together a very good offense. Focus completely on offense. In today's NFL you cannot have your best unit be your defense. And if you want people to be interested in the team and care about watching games, you need to have a really good offense. I would much rather be in 37-30 games than 15-10. At least that's exciting and worth watching, win or lose. 

That’s why we have the draft and FA.  You don’t see player for player deals too often 

10 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I have to say that drafting defense in any  round in 2024 must be a firable offense. I don't care if the second coming of Lawrence Taylor is available when the Jets pick. Take the best offensive player available. In. Every. Single. Round.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Jets offense has talent.  The constructed offense, at least.  But the constructed offense was decimated by injury and our front office failed to have an adequate backup QB.  The OL injuries are absolutely crippling.  QB is issue 1, play called 1B, OL injuries 2

There's a core, but not enough. No real # 2 WR either. 

26 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I agree with this premise.  I posted the other day the question about if we could trade Sauce for a franchise LT.

10 minutes ago, Crane said:

I have to say that drafting defense in any  round in 2024 must be a firable offense. I don't care if the second coming of Lawrence Taylor is available when the Jets pick. Take the best offensive player available. In. Every. Single. Round.

I'll make an exception for Lawrence Taylor. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Agree with the premise that offensive talent trumps defense but this is a defense that wins games in the NFL so the criticism of their discipline and IQ is unwarranted. You could have both offense and defensive talent right now if you just drafted half way decent and didn’t make god awful FA signings.

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with this premise.  I posted the other day the question about if we could trade Sauce for a franchise LT.

Picture this. You trade sauce gardener and your franchise lt you get in return is becton. Do you feel good about this trade when the guy you traded for who is not a known commodity (because no team trades away a franchise lt) is always injured and sauce is on another team making them better?

32 minutes ago, Corn said:

We actually had some very good players on offense the ability to properly discipline and coach has made the slack players dominate and multiply.Even with the offensive line troubles we should be able to run the ball.

Our third string offensive linemen suck at run blocking just as much as pass blocking. The giant open holes in the offensive line allow defenders to watch the ball get handed off and get a head start in a straight line to breece hall. How do you run the ball when there is no blocks?

It doesn't even matter because the offense has polluted the entire team.  The defense is on the field all game and every single player KNOWS, even if they make a stop, they will be back on the field in less than 2 minutes with no points to show for it.

Imagine how Reed and the defense must have felt, making a play and getting an INT, only to watch their disgusting offense throw a Fail Mary and have it returned for a Miami TD.

You cannot gauge the defense with this level of offensive ineptitude.  Not surprising that they are getting chippier and more undisciplined every game.  And the fact that Saleh has not lifted a single finger regarding the offense is why he should be fired.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

What defensive talent?

47 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Trading defensive players for offence won't fix sh*t unless you're canning the incompetent offensive coordinator and you're trading for a competent quarterback.

Nothing is going to change between now and next year on offence. We are stuck with Hackett until Rodgers decides to call it a day.

Not worried about Hackett. HE schemes well with Rodgers and thats all there's to that. What worries me, and worried me to begin season, which was on full display in the first set of plays, is the OL. It resulted in Rodgers getting injured.  The OL has continued to being abused. Its absolutely pathetic.  Its why JD should NEVER have dropped back in the draft from 12 to 14. That was as dumb as you can get. No one was trading for Rodgers other than us and the Pack would have eventually caved in.  Stupid azz Woody more than likely forced JD to move back.  Then of course AVT gets hurt, Becton is less than recovered, Brown is totally useless, Lake is serviceable.  We did get Tippman and he looks like the real deal.  The OL MUST be upgraded and they cant just try - they must do it regardless the cost.  Rodgers is probably playing 2 years tops more.  The OL is in shambles.  Becton has to go. McGovern has to go.  Sign 2 top quality FA tackles and stop effin around. Get rid of all this dead weight: Cobb, Turner, Brown, Zach, Boyle, Uzomah, Cook, Mosely, and I'm sure there are others I just cant think of right now. 

Bottom line, for all the good JD has done, he has equally effed up. You cant move forward with this poor of a track record. take Saleh with you as well.

No skill players on offense will matter without an OL to protect the pocket and open running lanes. The game begins and ends in the trenches... When will people realize that.  When your RB has lanes the run game works. When the QB has time the passing game works. Until the OL is fixed nothing else matters.

Next years draft needs to be all about the OL, and FA also.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Our third string offensive linemen suck at run blocking just as much as pass blocking. The giant open holes in the offensive line allow defenders to watch the ball get handed off and get a head start in a straight line to breece hall. How do you run the ball when there is no blocks?

I think the overall point is they're not coached up with a first stringers or third stringers. It's the lowest point I've seen for the jets woody and the organization.

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

I applaud the thought process, better than saying “Blow It Up”. Start over in a different way..

The franchise has never developed top offensive talent, so acquire it:

-trade the D talent away for O talent

-draft new defensive players and groom them

-Sign vet QB & draft QB to sit?