What would this team look like if they had gone the Derrick Carr route?

Beerfish

4 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I hope Aaron Rodgers goes into his darkness retreat soon and decides to retire.  So we can fire our overrated GM and criminally inept coaching staff.  

I think he is pressing to come back too early so he can get hurt again and then have a hero send off and still be able to bank and retire.  😎

• Upvote 1

Probably similar to what it looks like on the Saints. They have a good defense and a couple good skill players on offense. Our defense is better but their offense is better. 

Carr also probably doesn’t get hurt here.

I don’t regret passing on Carr. He’s mediocrity personified. I’d rather just stink and try to reset at QB. Being saddled with that contract would be rough.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Probably similar to what it looks like on the Saints. They have a good defense and a couple good skill players on offense. Our defense is better but their offense is better. 

I don’t regret passing on Carr. He’s mediocrity personified. I’d rather just stink and try to reset at QB. Being saddled with that contract would be rough.

If the decision is simply Carr vs Rodgers I can easily see people wanting Rodgers all day long.  The big issue is everything else that went along with each QB.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I hope Aaron Rodgers goes into his darkness retreat soon and decides to retire.  So we can fire our overrated GM and criminally inept coaching staff.  

I got some bad news. Rodgers went into the darkness and never came out. He signed a 2 year contract to stay there.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Same but with Jimmy G 

It's not that these guys were amazing pickups. Or even that they'd not get hurt (as in your example)

They were just cheaper and you don't mortgage control of the team, multiple seconds, Hackett and 6 worthless players on the roster to a free agent qb 

Of all the dumb things Jets fans convinced ourselves this offseason, the Sean Payton was wrong about Hackett thing was the absolute dumbest 

Technically Payton didn't say those things until the Jets were already in camp. So that happened in season, not off-season. :)

Here is what I disagree with though, when you have a shot to win it all you try to do it.

You will say they had no shit. But add 3,700 passing yards to this defense and they do.

Hackett is awful but Rodgers produces and four plays in everything changed.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets had two great meetings with Carr, he liked the team, they said they liked him and if on that second visit they had a contract in hand I am pretty sure he would have been a Jet.   Of course we know that the Jets chose the Aaron Rodgers route instead. (Carr is 32, Rodgers 40)
Now it would be pretty unfair to say that Carr would not have gotten injured and Rodgers would have so we will assume that Carr lasts four plays and tears his Achilles.
Both QBs are paid a lot, with Rodgers renegotiating it is much better for the team this year but appears to get worse in future years.   Essentially they are both paid like 37.5 million a year.
The following players would not have even been in the Jets:  Alan Lazard, Randall Cobb, Billy Turner, Tim Boyle, Dalvin Cook likely a no as well but maybe.
Not taking on the players above would have changed draft and FA priorities.  We probably sign a different vet receiver, not dog water Lazard.  We still do not know what precipitated Corey Davis leaving.
The Draft:  I am convinced to this day we would have taken an OT if we had the chance last draft and part of the reason we reached on McDonald is that Douglas panicked when the last top end OT went off the board.  If we do not make the Rodgers deal then Broderick Jones is there for us.  (Currently the top rated rookie OT via PFF)
We have an extra 2nd rounder last year and perhaps we take a WR since we do not have the lazard cobb trash duo.
This coming draft we have our 2nd round pick.  I still think that no matter what we are not taking a QB high next year but with a deep QB draft using our 2nd rounder if we had it on a QB would be possible.
No Nathaniel Hackett, just as some of us predicted this guy is a total clown show offensive coordinator.  So likely we have a different guy or some will insist the jets were going to hire him no matter what.  Fine let's assume that but guess what?  After this years disaster we could easily fire him and get someone much better.  With Rodgers here?  Hackett is going nowhere next year.
The Jets still would have retained Zach as the backup and he still would have stunk and we still would probably be about where we are now record wise but with no Boyle perhaps they go out and get a more legit 3rd guy or move to get a better backup to Wilson than Boyle.
A nice little side benefit as well is that Carr would be supporting the team and rehabbing hard but we would not have to put up with the weekly does of Rodgers talking to Macafee or anyone else that will listen and tell us all he is coming back soon.
This team would be a lot better off if we had went with Carr on the whole.
Can things still work next year and beyond?  Sure, if Rodgers comes back and plays pro bowl level QB for two years.  I somehow doubt that is going to happen with some new glaring holes on the roster, made in no small part to Rodgers requiring his posse.
Lot's of baseless conjecture?  Sure but some of the above to me is pretty logical.
Blast away Jet fans!

Hackett met with Carr so he was already here. Also, there are Saints fans who would rather see Jameis.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mfmartin said:

Hackett met with Carr so he was already here. Also, there are Saints fans who would rather see Jameis.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

And we could dump hackett out the window after this years travesty, but not with Rodgers, Hackett is back next year.   The jets were going after rodgers when they got hackett.

As for Carr he has 10 tds and 4 ints, 66% comp rate and 2231 yards and the saints are in first place in their div.

But the topic above is not about whether carr or rodgers is the better QB, it is all the things that came along with each QB.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets had two great meetings with Carr, he liked the team, they said they liked him and if on that second visit they had a contract in hand I am pretty sure he would have been a Jet.   Of course we know that the Jets chose the Aaron Rodgers route instead. (Carr is 32, Rodgers 40)

Now it would be pretty unfair to say that Carr would not have gotten injured and Rodgers would have so we will assume that Carr lasts four plays and tears his Achilles.

Both QBs are paid a lot, with Rodgers renegotiating it is much better for the team this year but appears to get worse in future years.   Essentially they are both paid like 37.5 million a year.

The following players would not have even been in the Jets:  Alan Lazard, Randall Cobb, Billy Turner, Tim Boyle, Dalvin Cook likely a no as well but maybe.

Not taking on the players above would have changed draft and FA priorities.  We probably sign a different vet receiver, not dog water Lazard.  We still do not know what precipitated Corey Davis leaving.

The Draft:  I am convinced to this day we would have taken an OT if we had the chance last draft and part of the reason we reached on McDonald is that Douglas panicked when the last top end OT went off the board.  If we do not make the Rodgers deal then Broderick Jones is there for us.  (Currently the top rated rookie OT via PFF)

We have an extra 2nd rounder last year and perhaps we take a WR since we do not have the lazard cobb trash duo.

This coming draft we have our 2nd round pick.  I still think that no matter what we are not taking a QB high next year but with a deep QB draft using our 2nd rounder if we had it on a QB would be possible.

No Nathaniel Hackett, just as some of us predicted this guy is a total clown show offensive coordinator.  So likely we have a different guy or some will insist the jets were going to hire him no matter what.  Fine let's assume that but guess what?  After this years disaster we could easily fire him and get someone much better.  With Rodgers here?  Hackett is going nowhere next year.

The Jets still would have retained Zach as the backup and he still would have stunk and we still would probably be about where we are now record wise but with no Boyle perhaps they go out and get a more legit 3rd guy or move to get a better backup to Wilson than Boyle.

A nice little side benefit as well is that Carr would be supporting the team and rehabbing hard but we would not have to put up with the weekly does of Rodgers talking to Macafee or anyone else that will listen and tell us all he is coming back soon.

This team would be a lot better off if we had went with Carr on the whole.

Can things still work next year and beyond?  Sure, if Rodgers comes back and plays pro bowl level QB for two years.  I somehow doubt that is going to happen with some new glaring holes on the roster, made in no small part to Rodgers requiring his posse.

Lot's of baseless conjecture?  Sure but some of the above to me is pretty logical.

Blast away Jet fans!

Better.  Much, much better

But Woody vetoed it.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Same but with Jimmy G 

It's not that these guys were amazing pickups. Or even that they'd not get hurt (as in your example)

They were just cheaper and you don't mortgage control of the team, multiple seconds, Hackett and 6 worthless players on the roster to a free agent qb 

Of all the dumb things Jets fans convinced ourselves this offseason, the Sean Payton was wrong about Hackett thing was the absolute dumbest 

A semi-decent starting qb has us at 6-5 or 7-4 now

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You have to choose between two girls.  

One is a nice girl next door type, not amazing looking but not ugly.  She would like to move in cause your so damn handsome and all her relatives live in a different country.

The other is just a smoking hot babe who thinks the world of herself.

Now the hottie will indeed move in with you but you also have to invite her uncle festus who smells bad and always wants the tv remote.

Her twin brothers Cletus and Snark who eat all the junk food in the house drink all of your beer and always want to order pizza.

Her cousin Grizelda and mother Hackettina also must move in.   They keep the bathroom occupied most of the day smoke cigars and keep borrowing your car.

But!  You have he hot babe to compensate! 

And the after less than a week the hottie takes off with french artist who is into mime and that wears a  black beret.

However her uncle, brothers, cousins, and mother all stay in your house.

Post of the year. THANKS! I needed to laugh. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, PS17 said:

I thought Carr would have been a great stop gap to buy us time (to draft and develop) but avoid bottoming out like we have now. 

R1- Broderick Jones

R2- Will McDonald

R2- Joe Tippmann 

R3- Downs, lots of LBs to replace Mosley

Okay maybe IV doesn’t make it to round 2 but imagine that on top of our 2022 class then having another 2nd rounder in 2024. We can then swing a QB with our mid-late 2024 1st. Carr then plays the whole 2024 season and rookie battles to start 2025. 

That was my top option with Rodgers 2nd. We were not a QB away from winning and for once we started building a solid core. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Same but with Jimmy G 

God that was so embarrassing. Jets Twitter especially.