Trade the 1st Rounder

FidelioJet

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

Not happening. This team is foolishly all in for next year and will take one last Hail Mary before blowing up and starting a rebuild form a deep hole. It’s not happening and I just want to get past next year and to a new regime so we can at least have hope again. JD and Saleh need to go and that’s not til 2025. 

Oh, I agree it won't happen.  

JD and Saleh are on their last year next year and will need to load up for their one last run before they get fired.  Does them no good to kick it down the road for another GM. 

I'm just saying it would be the smart move....

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We're going to have a top 10 pick - possibly top 5.

If there's not a QB there we want then trade it for picks next year....

Load up to move up for a QB next year....

I go back and forth on this.  AR8 has put us in such a weird place.  He's going to be the QB here for at least next year and I get the feeling possibly 2-3 more years.  So drafting a QB with a top 5 pick feels kind of foolish because he'll just sit there.  But AR8 could get injured or he could retire at the end of any season.  I don't want the Jets to be in limbo at QB so it would be nice to have his successor in place.  But AR8 is going to be upset if we take a QB this year when he's looking for a player that will help him win the SB before he retires.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There will be a QB available if we pick top 5.

We will not pick that QB because of Aaron Rodgers.

We most likely will pick either more Defense, or an O-lineman.

JD and Saleh will be trying to save their careers in the "run it back with Rodgers" 2024 season.

Neither of them has any interest in what is "long term good" for the Jets.  Only what will service their need to earn contract extensions in the very short term.

Neither has the luxury of planning for 2025 or beyond now.

Next time Joe Douglas picks a good QB or solid dependable O lineman will be his first. So D line and Db’s for every pick. If we get  a top 5 pick I’d be Ok picking Marvin Harrison’s son because it’s like cheat code, kids likely gonna be a great one. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JD and Saleh will be trying to save their careers in the "run it back with Rodgers" 2024 season.

Neither of them has any interest in what is "long term good" for the Jets.  Only what will service their need to earn contract extensions in the very short term.

Come on now.  There's no way JD is taking a defensive player in the 1st round.  I think it'll be one of our 3 positions of desperation: QB, OL or WR.  I think most fans would like us to take a QB (at least if a good one falls to us.  I'm thinking the LSU QB, Jayden Daniels) but if Marvin Harrison Jr falls to us I think he'd likely be the pick over a great OL.   If he's not available then take the OL or trade back.  

It's supposed to be a deep and talented draft and we're missing our 2nd rounder.  JD needs to figure out how to get more picks.  Either trade some guys from the defensive side of the ball or trade down.  Then again, if we trade down, are we giving up a chance to draft a superstar like MHJ or the franchise LT?  Not ideal.  And if they're not fired at the end of this year, you'd have to think that next year is going to be the last chance for JD and Saleh.  So that's going to affect the choice of player we take.  In other words, probably not a QB.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The QB problem has to be solved at some point.  You have to keep trying - and have to keep giving yourself the best chance.

I totally get what you're saying - but you can more easily find competent T play in FA than a QB.

I agree but if you look at what some late round picks line Dak and Hurts are able to do, maybe a late pick at QB can work with a solid OL. Both of those QBs came to teams that had top OL and thrived. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd be fine taking an OL. 

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Come on now.  There's no way JD is taking a defensive player in the 1st round.

I honestly though that in the last draft, and clearly I was wrong because we picked MacDonald.  

So /shrug, I have no idea if they would or wouldn't. 

I maintain MacDonald was a deep luxury pick, when we had clear needs on Offense (all now well exposed at this point, backup/future QB, WR, O-line).  But we picked him anyway.

So I have no idea what JD will do in his run it back year.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

OT or MHJ or trade down

Malik Nabers deserves to be in the conversation as well. I waffle on Brock Bowers. But yeah, this is pretty much it.

I’d rather explore other methods of bridging the QB situation and developing a franchise guy while improving the roster than rush to throw a top five pick into a bad situation for the third time in under a decade.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Very well said.  That really just about covers it.  Especially the JD/Saleh don't have interest in "long term good" for the Jets.  That's true with them both being on the hot seat but it's also true because AR8 is here. 

And after what we've witnessed this year, it certainly doesn't feel like the Jets are anywhere close to winning a Super Bowl.  I hate the idea of "going for it" by trading for a guy like Devante Adams.  I also hate that we might be passing up on a potential FQB.  I know people on here are saying "get the OL first" but, imo,  you can never pass up a FQB.  It's the most valuable player on the field by a lot (e.g. think of the Bengals with Joe Burrow vs without him.  Or how the Colts looked when they switched from Peyton Manning to Curtis Painter).

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We are 11 games into the season and technically still alive for a playoff berth. Can we at least wait until we are officially eliminated, or better yet, can we wait until the season is over? The off-season is long enough without starting it with 6 games remaining. 

If we go 6-0 or maybe even 5-1, we'd theoretically have a shot at the postseason, but I don't see any way that it's realistic.  I hate that I have to root against us yet again (and in some ways it feels like a terrible idea because it would make our young players feel like the weight of this franchise is just too much to deal with) but a high draft pick can really change things.  

• Haha 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm with you 100%.  I'd want us to take a QB in the 1st round if a good one is available to us.  I just don't think it's going to happen. 

Yup.  No way it happens, but it would be the smart move.

I know it hasn't worked out, but the only realistic option is to keep trying until you find one.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.  No way it happens, but it would be the smart move.

I know it hasn't worked out, but the only realistic option is to keep trying until you find one.

Agreed.  I don't see how else we're going to get a FQB.   Even though it didn't work out with Sam or Zach, we should absolutely continue to try.

Build the Oline/Receiver position in free agency. Draft another receiver or Oline in the 1st rd. Put all the chips in and solidify the offense.

Run it back with Rodgers and hope he stays healthy.

That team would have a chance to make serious noise. It's worth a shot. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm with you 100%.  I'd want us to take a QB in the 1st round if a good one is available to us.  I just don't think it's going to happen. 

I think it really matters where we’re picking.  If it’s top 3 then a qb has to be in the conversation.  But if the jets are at 5-7, then their best strategy is to trade back a few spots and pick up another pick.

bottom line, the team can’t score points and every single decision in the offseason should be geared towards scoring.  That means figuring out which defenders to pay, which ones to trade and tag, how to get more picks to help the offense and scouting the hell out of qbs. 

There’s going to be 10 qbs taken in the first 3 rounds of this draft and the jets, who have wilson, simian and boyle, should really consider taking one of these. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We need more than a QB. If there is a cornerstone tackle available, that is probably more important than a QB. 

Marvin Harrison, but I doubt he makes it to #5. Difficulty with OT is that JD doesn’t know how to evaluate them properly. Becton, trading our #1 and two #3’s for AVT, bad FA signings…. for someone who’s said to be an OL savant, he’s been an idiot savant at screwing things up.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it really matters where we’re picking.  If it’s top 3 then a qb has to be in the conversation.  But if the jets are at 5-7, then their best strategy is to trade back a few spots and pick up another pick.

bottom line, the team can’t score points and every single decision in the offseason should be geared towards scoring.  That means figuring out which defenders to pay, which ones to trade and tag, how to get more picks to help the offense and scouting the hell out of qbs. 

There’s going to be 10 qbs taken in the first 3 rounds of this draft and the jets, who have wilson, simian and boyle, should really consider taking one of these. 

When I wrote "I'd want us to take a QB in the 1st round if a good one is available to us.  I just don't think it's going to happen", I meant that a FQB might be available but I don't think the Jets would take him. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Just wait till Joe Douglas is gone. Why would  you want him to pick another one? . He’s awful at it. Look at our receiver room since he been here? Guy is the Eddie Mush of QB picking. 

There’s no reason why they can’t take a guy in round 3.  Part of douglas keeping his job is going to be demonstrating to woody that when rodgers goes down they have a guy who douglas drafted who can play.  Minschew is not saving anyone’s job. 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

When I wrote "I'd want us to take a QB in the 1st round if a good one is available to us.  I just don't think it's going to happen", I meant that a FQB might be available but I don't think the Jets would take him. 

I think if they wind up in the top 3 it’s possible and they may tell rodgers tough nouggies.  If they’re at 3, and the bears take Harrison, well that changes everything.  But if they’re outside the top 3 i think they will look for a team that wants to trade up for a qb and get more picks to help the offense. 

45 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Not happening. This team is foolishly all in for next year and will take one last Hail Mary before blowing up and starting a rebuild form a deep hole. It’s not happening and I just want to get past next year and to a new regime so we can at least have hope again. JD and Saleh need to go and that’s not til 2025. 

May I suggest a voluntary medically induced coma? Maybe there's a study for long haul trips to Mars they need data on? I'm looking, I'll let you know. 

• Haha 1