Poll: Improve the Offense

You’re the GM, how do you improve the offense?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1 .. assume Harrison Jr not available

• Top OT available
    • Top WR available
    • Top QB available
    • Trade down
  2. 2. WR #2

• Trade for Davante Adams
    • FA Mike Evans 1-2 years
    • FA Tee Higgins 3 years
    • Round 1
  3. 3. UFA Mekhi Becton

• Let walk
    • Franchise at $20M
    • Sign longer term
  4. 4. Backup QB

• Top tier available FA
    • Round 1
    • Mid round
    • Zach Wilson
  5. 5. Zach Wilson … assume no trade available

• Release outright
    • Keep thru 2024
    • Exercise 5th year option
  6. 6. CJ Mosley balks at pay cut

• Keep him at $17M salary
    • Release and re-allocate to top FA OT

What do you do?

Just because we might be running it back with JD, Saleh, Hackett and Rodgers, doesn’t mean we don’t try to improve our roster.

JD and Saleh have their own futures to worry about so need to think long and hard about correcting some of the bozo decisions Woody and Aaron might have been pushing this past offseason.  Let alone their own..

I’ve lost almost all confidence in them but I am confident that the majority of this board can actually improve the team significantly.

So I’m interested in the consensus.  

I’ve commented on this before, but I don’t think you can look at your 1st round pick that way. I don’t think you ever say “I’m taking the best WR available when I pick” - I think that’s how you end up reaching for a player. 

i think you have to take the best player on your board, but when you make your board, you obviously tilt things towards positions of need. But you can’t force picks based solely on position. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’ve commented on this before, but I don’t think you can look at your 1st round pick that way. I don’t think you ever say “I’m taking the best WR available when I pick” - I think that’s how you end up reaching for a player. 

i think you have to take the best player on your board, but when you make your board, you obviously tilt things towards positions of need. But you can’t force picks based on position. 

I’ll see if I can edit to add that as a choice.

Update:  I tried but could not.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’ll see if I can edit to add that as a choice.

Update:  I tried but could not.

It’s fine - this year, there will almost certainly be a WR or OL worth taking with our 1st. The draft is deep at both and we are looking like we’ll have a high pick. 

If anyone cares to add color to their choices.

I chose …

Round 1:  Best available OT, preferably at LT.  Don’t want to trade down unless it’s for TWO 2024 first rounders, which I assume is a low probability.  We need an elite OT.

WR:  I try trading for Adams who effectively has 1 year remaining at $16M .. so shouldn’t cost a first rounder.  I believe a 3rd plus 6th might get it done if he looks to push his way out.  I try here first before turning to Evans … then Higgins.

Becton:  I look for a durable free agent upgrade, preferably at RT.  Mosley is an easy cut for me if he balks at a significant pay cut.  OT > good but massively overpaid & aging MLB

Backup QB:  I was adamant we needed to get a top tier option over Zach last year.  Better happen this year

Zach:  Needs to go;  a trade is a pipe dream.  He tried but it’s best for all parties to move on.

——————————————————————-

QB:  Rodgers + top tier backup like Minshew for the 6-5 Colts

WR1:  Garrett Wilson

WR2:  Davante Adams or Mike Evans

LT:  Round 1

LG:  Upgrade Tomlinson and still save net dollars.  $6-7M total for new (average) guard while Tomlinson’s $12.6M gets axed

Center:  Tippmanm

RG:  AVT and he stays there 

RT:  A top available free agent

TE:  Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah.  Bye Uzomah

RB:  Hall, Izzy, draft choice

I think devante Adams is an obvious fit for us I don't think it can be the end though we need to also draft a guy later in the draft or preferably sign one of the decent free agents. Realistically though we need to be very careful with contracts because we don't want a situation where gardener and or gw walk because we can't pay them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

i think you have to take the best player on your board, but when you make your board, you obviously tilt things towards positions of need. But you can’t force picks based solely on position. 

Good point but I think it’s easier to draft a top ot prospect in the first round than a qb or even wr.  And the jets also need a guard to replace Tomlinson so either position can be had with a good chance of success.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If anyone cares to add color to their choices.

I chose …

Round 1:  Best available OT, preferably at LT.  Don’t want to trade down unless it’s for TWO 2024 first rounders, which I assume is a low probability.  We need an elite OT.

WR:  I try trading for Adams who effectively has 1 year remaining at $16M .. so shouldn’t cost a first rounder.  I believe a 3rd plus 6th might get it done if he looks to push his way out.  I try here first before turning to Evans … then Higgins.

Becton:  I look for a durable free agent upgrade, preferably at RT.  Mosley is an easy cut for me if he balks at a significant pay cut.  OT > good but massively overpaid & aging MLB

Backup QB:  I was adamant we needed to get a top tier option over Zach last year.  Better happen this year

Zach:  Needs to go;  a trade is a pipe dream.  He tried but it’s best for all parties to move on.

——————————————————————-

QB:  Rodgers + top tier backup like Minshew for the 6-5 Colts

WR1:  Garrett Wilson

WR2:  Davante Adams or Mike Evans

LT:  Round 1

LG:  Upgrade Tomlinson and still save net dollars.  $6-7M total for new (average) guard while Tomlinson’s $12.6M gets axed

Center:  Tippmanm

RG:  AVT and he stays there 

RT:  A top available free agent

TE:  Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah.  Bye Uzomah

RB:  Hall, Izzy, draft choice

I think this is what will likely happen. Unless they completely fall apart and Marvin Harrison Jr is available (can’t pass on that guy)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Can't believe how many people are falling for the 'trade for devante Adams choice.

- Raiders are not going to trade him, if they were induced you would pay WAY more than you want to.

He’s a 31 year old WR coming off a down year. Kind of reminds me of the Brandon Marshall situation in Chicago. He’s almost certainly going to push his way to the Jets to play his final few years with Rodgers 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Can't believe how many people are falling for the 'trade for devante Adams choice.

- Raiders are not going to trade him, if they were induced you would pay WAY more than you want to.

I think the Raiders would trade him but I agree it would cost way more than he'd be worth.  This would be a 100% stay-away if it was up to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1 year left on his contract.. for all intents and purposes.

Depends if the Raiders are rebuilding under a new regime.

Depends what his market is.

Completely different than the Tyreek Hill situation.  

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Good point but I think it’s easier to draft a top ot prospect in the first round than a qb or even wr.  And the jets also need a guard to replace Tomlinson so either position can be had with a good chance of success.

Agreed. 

there will also def be a good OL available when we pick 

I wouldn't release Zach I'd try to trade him. I was thinking a deal with Raiders ZW for Jimmy G but then I looked at contracts and no way Jets would do it unless Raiders took on most of Jimmy's contract. Jimmy could fit in for Jets as backup to AR. But overall I don't see ZW on this team next year. As for Becton not sure their evaluation of him how he's played when healthy. He's probably been ok they'll try to re-sign him but low in guaranteed money plenty of incentives. I could see them going for it with Adams esp with Rodgers in charge. 

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Agree.  Adams would be high priced, on a one year deal and the jets would have to trade at least a draft pick for him.  I think, if they’re going the vet route, they need to look at the free agents.

• Upvote 1