Tim Boyle to Remain at QB, but Why Not Trevor Siemian?

JetNation

Tim Boyle

Jets fans, we’ve got a QB situation on our hands. No, not the Aaron Rodgers \ Zach Wilson situation. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out and is yesterday’s news. This week Robert Saleh is sticking with Tim Boyle as the starter, and yeah, that Black Friday game against the Dolphins wasn’t pretty. With Aaron Rodgers rumored to return to the practice field soon and a possible return to game action by Christmas Eve, the big question is: Why aren’t they giving Trevor Siemian a shot until then? We know neither option will improve the Jets Super Bowl Odds, but Trevor Siemian has had some success in this league.

Let’s talk numbers for a second. Siemian has a career completion rate of nearly 60% and a passer rating of over 80. Siemian’s been around the block with a decent run in Denver, throwing over 3,400 yards and 18 TDs in one season. Boyle? Not far off on completions, but that rating’s hovering around 55. And after seeing home on Black Friday, he didn’t do anything to change the narrative. Why they didn’t have a stronger backup QBs behind Aaron Rodgers will forever remain a head-scratcher.

So what gives? Maybe Saleh’s seeing something in practice we’re not, or he’s playing the long game. Bottom line: Boyle’s up for now, but the concerns aren’t going to stop any time soon. Fans want to know if Siemian could make this offense perform at levels that would make Jets fans forget the dreadful performance we have seen all season. Stay tuned, folks. It’s going to be an interesting December.

The post Tim Boyle to Remain at QB, but Why Not Trevor Siemian? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

Working on those pearly whites, no time for evaluations.

He doesn’t know what to do. Fireman Ed came out on his ig account and gave him and Douglas a vote of confidence. I think his oxygen tank was low fighting fires because they completely quit on the 99 yard int td. Total embarrassment 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, BP said:

He doesn’t know what to do. Fireman Ed came out on his ig account and gave him and Douglas a vote of confidence. I think his oxygen tank was low fighting fires because they completely quit on the 99 yard int td. Total embarrassment 

I get the feeling Fireman Ed just likes his "access" and doesn't want to rock the boat.  Everything is awesome!

• Upvote 1

My guess is that Hackett wants to show off how his offense runs with a guy who truly understands it.  That plus they probably feel Siemian doesn't have the mobility to survive behind our terrible OL. 

But that also brings up the question: why did they sign him instead of a mobile QB?!

• Upvote 2

Falcons are a team on our level. Give the guy thats been in your system this game to prove himself. The team needs to find out what he means to the team in 2024. Trevor Siemen is just a guy on the roster. wont be back. With the playoffs all but gone, you find out what you got with boyle. Its not like were fighting for a division title or trying to hold onto a wild card spot. The season is over. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Falcons are a team on our level. Give the guy thats been in your system this game to prove himself. The team needs to find out what he means to the team in 2024. Trevor Siemen is just a guy on the roster. wont be back. With the playoffs all but gone, you find out what you got with boyle. Its not like were fighting for a division title or trying to hold onto a wild card spot. The season is over. 

If Boyle has anything to do with next season then we're probably already screwed.

• Upvote 1

they know and want him to play bad so they can say the issue is "not the QB" as Zach was not the only one to fail. The reality is Trevor is  much better as shown by his actual play on the field. He can be a competent QB Boyle is not

Boyle and Siemian combined are not better than Zach. I don't understand why our coaching staff is choosing to go with less talented players....just to prove a point? Earlier in the season Zach had full support of the coaching staff, I thought it was understood that the season became some what of a lost cause and we can use these games to develop Zach. Now we are just wasting games starting qbs that we know have no future with the franchise. The staff should have Zach play out the year so we have a better idea of what direction we are headed next year. I still truly think a year of watching aaron rogers lead the offence will be beneficial to Zach.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

It makes zero sense. Boyle is one of the few QBs on earth with worse career numbers than Zach Wilson.

Siemian has at least had reasonable production and a modicum of success. If your goal is to win, starting Boyle over Siemian is just another really bad decision by our spiraling organization 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxta_p said:

Boyle and Siemian combined are not better than Zach. I don't understand why our coaching staff is choosing to go with less talented players....just to prove a point? Earlier in the season Zach had full support of the coaching staff, I thought it was understood that the season became some what of a lost cause and we can use these games to develop Zach. Now we are just wasting games starting qbs that we know have no future with the franchise. The staff should have Zach play out the year so we have a better idea of what direction we are headed next year. I still truly think a year of watching aaron rogers lead the offence will be beneficial to Zach.

I agree with you but I've already accepted that Zach isn't going to be here next year.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see ZW look like a quality QB if given a chance to play on a team that has a quality supporting cast (and CS)

Boyle and Siemian are both complete trash and will help us achieve our short-term goal of improving our draft position.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with you but I've already accepted that Zach isn't going to be here next year.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see ZW look like a quality QB if given a chance to play on a team with a quality supporting cast.

Boyle and Siemian are both complete trash and will help us achieve our short-term goal of improving our draft position.

Zach Wilson isn't going to look good anywhere.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It makes zero sense. Boyle is one of the few QBs on earth with worse career numbers than Zach Wilson.

Siemian has at least had reasonable production and a modicum of success. If your goal is to win, starting Boyle over Siemian is just another really bad decision by our spiraling organization 

If your goal is to win, then yes. 

This is what’s happening. Boyle is the middle reliever that comes in for the 4th inning.  Gives up 3 runs. Manager comes out and tells him the bullpen is gassed and he has to take one for the team 

the jets know the line is trash. Seimian and Zach don’t see the field until the line can protect them and produce in the run game 

Boyle is a sacrifice 

sacrifice GIF

I get the sense that Saleh wants out. Kinda felt that way since he had to boot MLF, his choice for OC (se: not the problem).

Smart play is the be terrible, get fired, still collect checks. 

This job sucks.It has become a cash grab for fledgling coaches. Especially since our ex-coaches get hired and do okay elsewhere. No risk of becoming a pariah.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BP said:

That's what I thought.  Four Jets in the end zone and no-one adjusted to the ball but the DB!!  They just quit on it.   Not one could see they overran the throw?  

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I get the sense that Saleh wants out. Kinda felt that way since he had to boot MLF, his choice for OC (se: not the problem).

Smart play is the be terrible, get fired, still collect checks. 

This job sucks.It has become a cash grab for fledgling coaches. Especially since our ex-coaches get hired and do okay elsewhere. No risk of becoming a pariah.

I agree Saleh has seemed very disengaged in press conferences lately, the interview on Michael Kay where he said “I plead the 5th” on Zach was a total FU to Woody

The reason Siemian is not starting is because Douglas knows that he is not good at the draft unless he has multiple 1st round picks. He has decided to tank to get the highest draft possible and then trade down within the 1st. However, there is a problem. Douglas is average at the draft situation. He is not bad, he is not good. Whether you evaluate pick by pick or year by year, the guy is average. However, because we were traumatized with the likes of Idzik and McCagnan, some fans made him out to be like a great GM. He simply is not good at picking OL and QBs.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The reason Siemian is not starting is because Douglas knows that he is not good at the draft unless he has multiple 1st round picks. He has decided to tank to get the highest draft possible and then trade down within the 1st. However, there is a problem. Douglas is average at the draft situation. He is not bad, he is not good. Whether you evaluate pick by pick or year by year, the guy is average. However, because we were traumatized with the likes of Idzik and McCagnan, some fans made him out to be like a great GM. He simply is not good at picking OL and QBs.

Siemian isn’t starting because he’s better than Zach.  This is a Zach image rehab tour.  Boyle will stink it up, make Zach look good by comparison through week 18

Don’t be shocked if we sign Christian Hackenberg to start