Are the Jets a perfect destination for a rookie QB?

The more I think about it, the more I feel like the Jets should consider using another top 10 pick (if they have one) a young QB. 

I don’t think Douglas could fix this roster in one off-season and I don’t know if Rodgers can even play at a high level anymore. 

At the very least if the Jets draft a young QB they will be able to let him sit and develop for a year behind a hall of fame QB. That alone might be worth the  compensation given up for Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

We don't develop players. 

We are notorious for drafting sub-par QB's. They can have all the upside in the world, but if you don't coach them and nurture them and just let them drown with horrible coaching and squad building they're always going to fail... or carry on being Hackenberg 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

We’ve seen plenty top 10 picks flame out. Let alone win ROY on both sides of ball 

That’s not what I asked you. I asked if you think it was due to coaching.

Keyshawn said 97 was like his rookie year because he learned nothing in 1996. He was developed in 1997 to become a better player.

What have the coaches done this year to develop sauce and GW? 

I think they’re the perfect destination for Davis Mills. He showed a little bit on an awful Texans team and will never start there. Let him sit behind Rodgers and he would at least be competent. I’d much rather have a young QB like Howell who is putting up yards, TDs and INTs than 0 TDs 0 INTs and 180 yards. I think Mills can do that. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

A good scenario for a rookie QB is one where he can have the same HC / OC and a reasonably stable team around him to grow and learn with.

We may be able to say we have an OK amount of stability player wise (GW, Breece, Conk / Ruckert at TE etc). But the outlook on the coaching side is not so good. Last thing you want is a guy spending a year learning a system that gets thrown out the next year along with the coaching staff.

In my view - draft cornerstone pieces that can be immediate contributors (WR / OT, for example), run it back with AR8 next year, see what happens. Now is not a good time to look at who the QB is going to be in 2025.

Could very well be sitting on a lame duck coaching staff and front office. Drafting a QB in the 2024 draft with the possibility of having to force a QB on the next staff is not exactly ideal. Generally speaking, you want your new staff to be making that pick. Should the jets turn things around with rodgers next year and everyones job is safe, it makes the most sense to draft a QB in 2025 when this franchise has decided who will be running the team for the next handful of seasons and beyond. 

While drafting a QB sounds good to the fan base, using a valuable draft pick on a player that'll sit on the bench will not save saleh and douglas's job. Think about that in their perspective. Your back is against the wall, you must have a winning season. This could very well be your last draft, are you using valuable picks that cannot contribute now, are you using valuable picks that don't make the 2024 team better? Are you using that pick on a player you might not be around to see play? 

Maybe you use a late pick on one, but it makes absolutely no sense for the current coaching staff and front office to use a premium pick on one. They went all in on Rodgers. Thats the bed they chose to lay in.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

The NY Jets would have ruined the following QBs: 

Brady, Mahomes, Montana, Elway, Manning 1, Manning 2, Stabler, Marino, ......... you get the point.

If I'm a college QB in the draft picked by the Jets I seriously consider sitting out a year and refusing to report. 

Haha, can you imagine if Jets had Yelp reviews for developing  QB’s? 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, DunkinDonuts said:

The more I think about it, the more I feel like the Jets should consider using another top 10 pick (if they have one) a young QB. 

I don’t think Douglas could fix this roster in one off-season and I don’t know if Rodgers can even play at a high level anymore. 

At the very least if the Jets draft a young QB they will be able to let him sit and develop for a year behind a hall of fame QB. That alone might be worth the  compensation given up for Rodgers. 

I could be wrong but the rookie 1st round QBs the jets have brought in are Todd, O’Brien, Chaddy, Sanchez, Darnold, and Wilson.  Of that group only Sanchez, Darnold and Wilson had to play right away.  The rest of those guys sat before they played. O’Brien sat for a full season due to legal trouble and chaddy sat for two seasons.  If the jets go qb in the first round they need to hope Rodgers can play out the season. They better get the oline straightened out.

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

O line or WR should be the only considerations.

While I certainly understand this rationale, I think it's too "cavalier" to just say "I'll draft my next QB when I need one" (even though it looks like that approach is about to work out perfectly for the Patriots).

To me, if you have an opportunity to take one, you strike.  

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

While I certainly understand this rationale, I think it's too "cavalier" to just say "I'll draft my next QB when I need one" (even though it looks like that approach is about to work out perfectly for the Patriots).

To me, if you have an opportunity to take one, you strike.  

Its entirely situational. In this upcoming draft, assuming no one is sh*t canned, you're going to have a staff and front office that has no choice but to sell out for 2024. They'll be in a self preservation mind set. They will only be thinking about how to save their jobs, not how can we set this team up to be great over the next 4-5 seasons with a QB of the future. Spending a top pick on a guy that'll sit behind rodgers for the 2024 season when they have so many holes to fill will not accomplish that. Unless woody forces them to take a QB, the staff really has no choice but to draft a player that they think will have an immediate impact. If saleh and douglas were in year 2, it would make a ton of sense. They are not though. They'll be entering the 2024 season with a do or die mentality. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Its entirely situational. In this upcoming draft, assuming no one is sh*t canned, you're going to have a staff and front office that has no choice but to sell out for 2024. They'll be in a self preservation mind set. They will only be thinking about how to save their jobs, not how can we set this team up to be great over the next 4-5 seasons with a QB of the future. Spending a top pick on a guy that'll sit behind rodgers for the 2024 season when they have so many holes to fill will not accomplish that. Unless woody forces them to take a QB, the staff really has no choice but to draft a player that they think will have an immediate impact. If saleh and douglas were in year 2, it would make a ton of sense. They are not though. They'll be entering the 2024 with a do or die mentality. 

Woody could potentially extend JD another 2-3 years.  Despite the obvious problems with his tenure, there have also been a lot of real positives too.  I could live with it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DunkinDonuts said:

While I like the idea, I wouldn't trust this coaching staff, even though I want Drake Maye here badly.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Woody could potentially extend JD another 2-3 years.  Despite the obvious problems with his tenure, there have also been a lot of real positives too.  I could live with it.

An extension doesn't mean anything though. We've seen plenty of examples of coaches getting extensions and then getting fired anyways. Its just a way to take some pressure off. Only way a QB is taken early, in my opinion, is if we took a top 5 pick and flipped it into two first rounders and maybe a second. In that scenerio, you get the guys you can project as immediate starters and you get the QB of the future. If they only can pick one, they are picking the guys that can contribute now and they roll the dice on rodgers sticking around for 2024 and 2025.

5 hours ago, DunkinDonuts said:

I think they have proven they are one of the worst Destinations for a rookie QB.

Lot's of dead cap space in the next 3 years.  No line, no ability to draft a line, 1 WR, poor coaching, poor ownership.

The fans are very pleasant though.

• Haha 2

Less than 0% chance this regime is drafting a qb.  Jobs are on the line.  They need to make the playoffs or they are all gone.  The future of this franchise will be sacrificed starting this offseason because we have a desperate gm/hc.

It is going to get way worse before it gets better.  When the Rodgers smoke clears, this will be the worst team in the nfl.

Good news is that will lead us to the number 1 pick in the draft.