Does the NFL have a quality control problem?

I don't think you're wrong on this.  I've been wondering if there's a lack of talent coming up through high school and college football these days because fewer kids are playing nowadays versus 20, 30, 40 years ago.  I know a lot of parents don't want their kids playing football because of the worries regarding head injuries.  It seems like a possible correlation at least.

Terrible rules is a thing high on the list.  (Pass interfernece rules are awful it should be like college, receptions rules are atrocious, the uneven application of roughing the passer is bad, their annual 'point of emphasis' penalties such as holding calls vs WRs and TEs while out in space.)

Extremely bad officiating.

Bad broadcast teams calling the game.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

if they could just be like the WWE they could manufacture excellent content for the prime time games.

unfortunately the players insist on competing instead of acting - so you won't always get your exciting game.

Yeah - been watching football for 4+ decades. I get it. Not every game is going to be exciting. I'll take mildly entertaining any day, for which most of this season hasn't been. 

• Upvote 3

There have been some great games. The Bills - Eagles game was entertaining - but of course marred by questionable officiating. No one will ever like officials and their calls, but the NFL seems to be in another realm of officiating this year. Defensive Pass Interference has literally become a play call on OC's sheets. 3rd and long? Air it out and draw a DPI penalty. 

11 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

if they could just be like the WWE they could manufacture excellent content for the prime time games.

unfortunately the players insist on competing instead of acting - so you won't always get your exciting game.

Its funny the way we see the league is the complete opposite.

With all the ref, gambling nonsense it’s just obvious to me that this league does manufacture a lot of content. 

No I don’t think everyone is in on the rigging and I don’t believe every game is tampered with

but

what I think happens is:

-select games are fixed to drive narratives to sway public betting and push narratives that are more profitable for Vegas/NFL

-Games that effect draft position are also rigged, to push certain players to certain markets 

And I believe the players sign things that  silence them from fully exposing the league, likely losing retirement etc.

You only need to accumulate 3 seasons to qualify for a NFL pension and the players out of the league before that are all fighting so hard for a roster spot, they likely never notice anything anyways

Just my theory though 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

I've always been of the opinon that everything in the NFL is cyclical and Defenses have been intentional of building their defense to stop this modern offense....

It's a copycat league.....look at the tush push....all it's gonna take is one team to start running the ball well and beating up on these lighter, faster defenses for other teams to try and copy and we'll have a bunch of run heavy teams again. 

Speaking of the tush push, the Eagles are actually a great example of what I'm talking about.....they have a diverse running game where even the QB is a threat and they have a complementary passing game.....defense have countered the modern bombs away offense with 2 high safeties to stop explosives and they make QBs dink and dunk down the field. Offenses will eventually counter by playing smashmouth against these lighter defenses....

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

3) Replays and commercials. They need to figure out how to tighten up the game and have less standing around. Obviously they won't eliminate ads because that's where the money is, but there should be ways (special sponsorships, logos on the field, whatever) to cut down how much non football is happening on a broadcast. Replay should be one guy in a booth making the call quickly and decisively in real time.

This issue (especially the endless spam of gambling ads during the TV broadcast) makes wtahcing a game a hell of a lot less fun for me, personally.  I guess the @bitonti's of the world, our unrepentant gambler friends, love it, but I can't stand it.  One of the worst recent changes in my own NFL Fan experience.

With that said, I do not want the NFL to become Europeans Soccer, with uniforms covered top to bottom in corporate logos, to the point the team name is hard or impossible the find on the uniform itself.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The NFL has several problems contributing the the poor game quality we're seeing more and more of these days:

1. Injuries and a lack of depth at the top talent levels, especially at QB

2. A generally undisciplined and sloppy era of football.  True disciplinarian coaches are few and far between.  Sloppiness is tolerated.  Players Buddy coaches are everywhere.

3. Horribly inconsistent and subjective officiating.

4. The NFL's longstanding desire for parity has not produced equally good teams, it's produced several truly awful teams and alot of meh.

5. A complete lack of player intellectual development at the pro level outside a few exceptions.  Players don't really learn or get better once they hit the NFL, at best they might get stronger/faster.

6. A ruleset designed specifically to foster the passing game, in a league where only 10-15 QB's really have the skill to do it.  The remaining 15-20 teams still chase the pass, at the expense of the run, but don't do it nearly as well, leading to sloppy, ineffective, unfun to watch offenses.

7. In the longstanding increases to strength and speed over the past 50 years of NFL football, the Defense gets more out of it that the O does, so poorer O's will be beaten by lesser D's more often based purely on size, speed and strength.

8. Overcomplicated Offensive systems without a real good methodology for teaching and implementing them.

9. College football is (mostly) dumb as dirt, completely failing to prepare players for the complexities of the Pro game.

10. Elimination of the long and hard camp/preseason preparation period.

Worst part is Roger Rabbit is wanting to add more teams.  It’s a sh!+ show.   

29 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Its funny the way we see the league is the complete opposite.

With all the ref, gambling nonsense it’s just obvious to me that this league does manufacture a lot of content. 

No I don’t think everyone is in on the rigging and I don’t believe every game is tampered with

but

what I think happens is:

-select games are fixed to drive narratives to sway public betting and push narratives that are more profitable for Vegas/NFL

-Games that effect draft position are also rigged, to push certain players to certain markets 

And I believe the players sign things that  silence them from fully exposing the league, likely losing retirement etc.

You only need to accumulate 3 seasons to qualify for a NFL pension and the players out of the league before that are all fighting so hard for a roster spot, they likely never notice anything anyways

Just my theory though 

i know the NFL really pushed for Trevor to get to Jacksonville.  Got to feed that large market and ignore the smaller places like NYC/Chicago who had the 2nd and 3rd pick.

so you think thousands of players who can't control themselves on social media are going to be able to keep their mouth shut about exposing the league.  i hope your comments are a joke.

sway betting?  you realize that they don't care about swaying the betting.  increasing the betting perhaps.  

• Post of the Week 1

Owners fire people to fast. Most giant humans coming up want to play Dline over oline. The recent success of offenses has lead to an evolution on defense.  The result is lot of ugly football.  

the next evolution will be oline becoming second only to QB in value. 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This issue (especially the endless spam of gambling ads during the TV broadcast) makes wtahcing a game a hell of a lot less fun for me, personally.  I guess the @bitonti's of the world, our unrepentant gambler friends, love it, but I can't stand it.  One of the worst recent changes in my own NFL Fan experience.

With that said, I do not want the NFL to become Europeans Soccer, with uniforms covered top to bottom in corporate logos, to the point the team name is hard or impossible the find on the uniform itself.

we are going to look back in 20 years and really be upset with the legalized online gambling.  

https://themessenger.com/grid/sports-betting-a-hugely-popular-multibillion-dollar-industry-is-poised-to-become-an-american-epidemic

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

9. College football is (mostly) dumb as dirt, completely failing to prepare players for the complexities of the Pro game.

Your post overall is excellent and spot on, however this one to me is the biggest problem.  The notion that college football adequately serves as a development league for the pros is a fallacy. College football is so simplified that even the best prospects are often grossly unprepared when they get to the NFL.

This is why the NFL needs a development league. They need something similar to baseball, where there is a farm system in place to allow a lot of these kids with raw ability to learn how the pro game is played.

There are two spring football leagues currently (supposedly they are merging). The NFL should work out some sort of a partnership with them and allow teams to allocate players there so they can develop. Training camp and preseason isn't enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Injuries have increased a lot, and so there's a ton of backups in the league. Officiating has been leaning in favor of offenses for a couple of years now (I'm pretty sure that was confirmed), which leads to sloppier O play. Lack of practocing leads to bad OL and injuries. Patience is no longer a virtue in the league.

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i know the NFL really pushed for Trevor to get to Jacksonville.  Got to feed that large market and ignore the smaller places like NYC/Chicago who had the 2nd and 3rd pick.

so you think thousands of players who can't control themselves on social media are going to be able to keep their mouth shut about exposing the league.  i hope your comments are a joke.

sway betting?  you realize that they don't care about swaying the betting.  increasing the betting perhaps.  

Idk why people continue to say this there are players that spoke out: 

- a SB MVp

- a great article outlining everything so I don’t need to type it:

https://clesportstalk.com/rigged-nfl-its-not-just-the-refs-the-professional-actor-players-are-in-on-it-too/?amp=1

But I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, this is just my personal opinion 

• Upvote 1

you used to be able to sit and watch the 1:00 and 4:00 games with no issues. Now I go and pick a game. I am not going to sit for nearly 7 hours watching two games and then a Sunday night game.

1) I totally agree with training camp and in season regular practices where there is basically no hitting at all. 

2) The rule changes have not helped the game at all IMHO. With all the emphasis being put on the passing game and the rules changes that have made this happen, teams all have the same identity. You knew that when you watched a Steelers game or a Ravens game or a Bears game you were going to see a game with hard hitting defense and good balance of running and throwing the football. When you watched a Dolphins game in the Marino era or the Greatest Show on Turf Rams you were going to see the football in air ALOT. Now days it is all the same, Offense, Offense, Offense and when the Defense adjusts we will just add new rules to hamper them more. Wait till next year when the hip drop tackled is eliminated.

3) Rules protecting the QB and and WR. These guys don't even protect themselves anymore out there. They just will stand it there and wait for the refs to bail them out. QB's are flopping more now than LeBron James in his prime. You want to protect the QB ? Go put in the old "In the grasp rule" back. See how quickly they start bitching. 

4) Guys just are not ready. Especially QB's. The most important position on the field and folks are throwing 20, 21 year old kids out there to be the leader of their billion now company. How much sense does that make ? 

Game is a joke right now. Once in awhile you get a good game. You will probably get one next weekend with Eagles and the Niners but overall this product sucks right now.

1 hour ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Last night's Bears - Vikings game resembled an episode of Benny Hill - so much so that Buck and Aikman actually mentioned Benny Hill by name.  It was a total clown show start to finish. Being Jets fans, we all know about Clown Shows and we've watched a few of our own that would have made last night's game look like a Super Bowl.  Thing is - it isn't just the Jets or last night's debacle this season. Most of the SNF, MNF and TNF games have been trash, an absolute soup sandwich containing little to no entertainment value. As we head into week 13, the offenses throughout the league are clearly still a month behind the defenses. 

When you take the Jets out of the discussion for a second and look at the other 31 teams, the games this year and the overall NFL product have been trash. You can almost sense it in the voices of Nantz/Romo, Buck/Aikman, Tirico/Collinsworth when they're calling these games - almost as if they're angry they had to waste their time calling them. In my opinion, the NFL product has become diluted due to the fact that the modern game relies so heavily on having a competent QB and they appear to be impossible to find. RB's have been relegated to an afterthought in the modern offense and the only successful teams are the ones with a competent QB, which are few and far between to such an extent, that having one makes you stand out as if you're one of only 5 countries with sea faring capabilities in the early 1500s. 

Maybe I'm way off base,....  but sitting down to an NFL game this has been a consistently dreadful and low-scoring experience, 

IMHO this is the primary reason.  

The NFL has long tipped the scales of the game in favor of the offense in particular the QB. Then 

However, unlike the NBA, a star QB needs support.  They both do, but more so the QB.  While college produces numerous WRs every year, despite the Patriots best efforts to avoid them, I do not think college is producing OL at the same pace.  Then you factor in the CBA reducing the amount of practice time.

So you have a position the game is over reliant on that is dependent on other players, but pipeline is not producing players to support the position nor is there time to develop them.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rochester Jets said:

I don't think you're wrong on this.  I've been wondering if there's a lack of talent coming up through high school and college football these days because fewer kids are playing nowadays versus 20, 30, 40 years ago.  I know a lot of parents don't want their kids playing football because of the worries regarding head injuries.  It seems like a possible correlation at least.

Heard high school and college coaches say as much. Pop Warner programs are a hard sell to parents and insurance is impossible. One in our area shut down.  Now there have always been kids that showed up summer of freshman year of high school and have to learn how to hit, block, tackle. But it used to be at least there were a few kids who had played tackle football. Less and less the case. Flag football has become a big thing, but it isn't the same thing. Kids are told from the time they can walk to keep their hands to themselves and football goes counter to that. It isn't a small thing. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But I read on here that the Bears were playing with an elite QB? I mean, give them credit, they did make 4 field goals!!! That’s not what great offense looks like?

@JiF

Match up based league, not every game is going to be a shoot out, first meeting was a slug turnover fest too, Cousins had his worst game.  Probably more indicative of the match up then QB play but yeah, that dude that led the game winning drive...baller superstar bad ass.  If the Jets drafted him after we took Lawrence they'd be the best team in the AFCE.

Not to be mean but lets be honest, the league does have a quality control issue, it's called the NY Jets, who own the longest playoff draught in professional sports.  As bad as my Jags have been, at least we've made and won playoff games in the last decade and lets be honest, Miles Jack was not down vs. the Cheatriots in the AFC Champ game.