Zach should get another shot

On 11/28/2023 at 1:21 PM, faba said:

You want to see a Boston Tea Party revolt-put Zach back out there  and you will get from Jet fan base and defense

You have to be kidding.  Clearly Zach is broken but none the less he is still better at QB than the other two.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Again I ask: knowing this franchise, would you really be surprised if ZW flourished somewhere else?

Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold didn't.  So yes, it would be VERY surprising, considering that he's the worst of that trio of failure.

Why do you think that the same franchise that apparently can't "develop" a QB for d**k is secretly good at identifying quality QB prospects for other franchises to unlock?

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold didn't.  So yes, it would be surprising.

Why do you think that the same franchise that apparently can't "develop" a QB for d**k is secretly good at identifying quality QB prospects for other franchises to unlock?

We weren't the only franchise who had a lot of interest in ZW.  Plus, look at how bad our OL and WRs are (outside of GW).  

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We weren't the only franchise who had a lot of interest in ZW.  Plus, look at how bad our OL and WRs are (outside of GW).  

Who cares?  Those franchises got it wrong too.  Just like the 49ers got it wrong with Trey Lance.  What franchises thought of Zach Wilson pre-draft 3 years ago is irrelevant now.

And your WR/OL argument is stupid.  He's had good enough weppinz and OL play overall from 2021-present.  Far better than Sam Darnold had.  For the first 2 seasons + 5 games of 2023, Zach was in the top half of the league in pocket time.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares?  Those franchises got it wrong too.  Just like the 49ers got it wrong with Trey Lance.

And your WR/OL argument is stupid.  He's had good enough weppinz and OL play overall from 2021-present.  Far better than Sam Darnold had.  For the first 2 seasons + 5 games of 2023, Zach was in the top half of the league in pocket time.

Woody seems to be insisting they play all the guys they brought in and paid.  

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Again I ask: knowing this franchise, would you really be surprised if ZW flourished somewhere else?

Yes. Outside of geno like 8 seasons later, what jets qb that failed here has done anything? Kellen Clemons? Nope. Sanchez, nope. Hackenburg? Nope. Darnold? Nope.  And on and on.

The first few years of a qbs development can make or break a career. The jets have consistently failed to develop. I’ve always been under the belief that most prospects have the talent to succeed. Of course you’ll have guys like Jamarcus Russell or Rosen that never had it and guys like burrow and Peyton that would succeed anywhere but mixed in between those types of prospects are guys that are dependent on being in the right system and have the ability to develop the player. Darnold is one of those guys, in my opinion, that was ruined because of poor development, a bad offense, and no talent around him. His confidence was permanently broken. More recently, look at the top 2 picks in this last draft. One guy is looking great with talent around him and one guy is really struggling with one of the worst rosters in football and has already had his head coach fired. This team has a hard time developing rosters and players, it’s the reason why we never have a franchise qb. 

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Yes. Outside of geno like 8 seasons later, what jets qb that failed here has done anything? Kellen Clemons? Nope. Sanchez, nope. Hackenburg? Nope. Darnold? Nope.  And on and on.

The first few years of a qbs development can make or break a career. The jets have consistently failed to develop. I’ve always been under the belief that most prospects have the talent to succeed. Of course you’ll have guys like Jamarcus Russell or Rosen that never had it and guys like burrow and Peyton that would succeed anywhere but mixed in between those types of prospects are guys that are dependent on being in the right system and have the ability to develop the player. Darnold is one of those guys, in my opinion, that was ruined because of poor development, a bad offense, and no talent around him. His confidence was permanently broken. More recently, look at the top 2 picks in this last draft. One guy is looking great with talent around him and one guy is really struggling with one of the worst rosters in football and has already had his head coach fired. This team has a hard time developing rosters and players, it’s the reason why we never have a franchise qb. 

Only qb they drafted who showed right away he could play was Pennington and he also did well with the dolphins.  The underlying problem is that the jets pick qbs based on flawed criteria and keep making the same mistakes, first time gms who pick tools and upside over practical qb skills.  

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The team would quit as hard as it could quit if they rolled Zach back out there

If he wasn't benched prior to now then I could see it.  But now I could see the players wanting ZW back in there because he's clearly the team's best QB.  It was obvious that he was anyway but I can understand the team wanting a change for change's sake.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He cannot play. 

Year 1&2 ZW couldn't play. 

Year 3 ZW I'm not certain if he was the problem or his supporting cast (or maybe both).  I mean, we know his supporting cast stinks.

I still want to see how he'll play (if given the chance) next year if he's on a team with an actual supporting cast.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If he wasn't benched prior to now then I could see it.  But now, I could see the players wanting ZW back in there because he's clearly the team's best QB.  It was obvious that he was anyway but I can understand the team wanting to try to make a change for change's sake.

Year 3 ZW I'm not certain if he was the problem or his supporting cast (or maybe both).  I mean, we know his supporting cast stinks.

I still want to see how he'll play (if given the chance) next year if he's on a team with an actual supporting cast.  

So Year 1 & 2 he couldn't play, but in Year 3 he magically and hypothetically MIGHT have been able to play if only everything around him had been perfect.  Got it.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So Year 1 & 2 he couldn't play, but in Year 3 he magically and hypothetically MIGHT have been able to play if only everything around him had been perfect.  Got it.  

Perfect?!  As in "our supporting cast was good but ZW needed it to be perfect"?

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Only qb they drafted who showed right away he could play was Pennington and he also did well with the dolphins.  The underlying problem is that the jets pick qbs based on flawed criteria and keep making the same mistakes, first time gms who pick tools and upside over practical qb skills.  

Plenty of players that were tools / upside guys have panned out. Mahomes, josh Allen, hurts, cam Newton, and etc. the difference between those guys and the ones that failed was they were put in favorable situations and had everything they needed to be successful.  At the end of the day, the qb still has to perform but when you have Tyreek, kelce, and Andy reid you’re going to have a chance. When you have Adam gase and a bunch of jags at skill positions, you will not.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Perfect?!  As in "our supporting cast was good but ZW needed it to be perfect"?

2 elite weppinz + an OL that gave him top 10 pocket time the first 5 weeks of the season (he still sucked and took tons of sacks) + an elite defense.  Yes, the supporting cast was what I would qualify as "good".  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 elite weppinz + an OL that gave him top 10 pocket time the first 5 weeks of the season (he still sucked and took tons of sacks) + an elite defense.  Yes, the supporting cast was what I would qualify as "good".  

Those 1st 5 weeks he won 2 and would've beaten KC were it not for the refs.  The Dallas game, our OL was completely overrun.  The Patriots' game, he stunk but so did our supporting cast.

8 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Plenty of players that were tools / upside guys have panned out. Mahomes, josh Allen, hurts, cam Newton, and etc. the difference between those guys and the ones that failed was they were put in favorable situations and had everything they needed to be successful.  At the end of the day, the qb still has to perform but when you have Tyreek, kelce, and Andy reid you’re going to have a chance. When you have Adam gase and a bunch of jags at still positions, you will not.

Zach Wilson is blind out there.

Can’t see the field and can’t process in real-time.

And seemingly incapable of throwing with anything resembling the appropriate touch and anticipation.

There is no remedy for that at the QB position.

No degree of escapability or of “arm angles” is going to make up for that.

He also chokes so many wide open layups it’s ridiculous.

His mechanics have actually improved this year, but the results are still the same because of these things.

Zach is clearly the best QB on your team and it's not really close which is honestly an incredible feat, 2 QBs on your roster worse than Zach Wilson?  Wow, but you can never ever go back to Zach Wilson.  He needs to be jettisoned as soon as possible, the only reason he hasnt been outright cut is because Woody Johnsons slobbers on his Uncle's log. 

You have to remove this stain from the organization.  You cant continue to let him just linger around in the background letting that stench continue to permeate through the building.  He must go. 

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Plenty of players that were tools / upside guys have panned out. Mahomes, josh Allen, hurts, cam Newton, and etc. the difference between those guys and the ones that failed was they were put in favorable situations and had everything they needed to be successful.  At the end of the day, the qb still has to perform but when you have Tyreek, kelce, and Andy reid you’re going to have a chance. When you have Adam gase and a bunch of jags at skill positions, you will not.

If those guys were on the jets they would have flashed and won more here as well.  Good qbs have tools but also, they have good field vision and pocket sense.  You’ve just listed at least 2 HOF qbs as examples of qbs with tools who succeed.  But there’s guys like Kirk cousins and Prescott and stroud who also have tools but accuracy, pocket sense and good mechanics and that’s the difference.  ZW has none of those.  

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I could see the players wanting ZW back in there because he's clearly the team's best QB

They all stink, but Zach’s problems extend beyond his inability to complete passes. 

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

IMG_4692.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They all stink, but Zach’s problems extend beyond his inability to complete passes. 

IMG_4692.jpeg

It's a perfectly reasonable criticism and it might be legit.  But I do want to point out that Brock Purdy is #1 on that chart.  How is his supporting cast relative to ZW's?  And if Purdy were on the Jets and played all the games ZW did, where do you think he would fall on this chart?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Those 1st 5 weeks he won 2 and would've beaten KC were it not for the refs.  The Dallas game, our OL was completely overrun.  The Patriots' game, he stunk but so did our supporting cast.

He didn't "win" 2 games.  It's a team sport.

The only good performance by Zach was 2 quarters of the KC game.  The other 18 quarters he was garbage.

He can't play.

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's a perfectly reasonable criticism and it might be legit.  But I do want to point out that Brock Purdy is #1 on that chart.  How is his supporting cast relative to ZW's?  And if Purdy were on the Jets and played all the games ZW did, where do you think he would fall on this chart?

Why did the 49ers cast off Trey Lance with such an elite supporting cast?  Shouldn't they have waited to see how he'd do?

You're SO CLOSE TO GETTING IT on this!

• Post of the Week 1