Zach should get another shot

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If you called the Niners in two months and offered Zach Wilson for Brock Purdy straight up, do they take that deal? 

Lol.  You're completely evading my question.

Again, if Purdy were on the Jets this year and had all of ZW's playing time, how do you think he'd be doing?

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Have you always rooted for ZW to succeed, btw?  Or did you ever root against him because you dislike him (either as a player or as a person or whatever) and you "wanted to be proven right"?  And did it make you feel like "a pig in poop with happiness" because you felt you were "proven right" about him?

Your ongoing emo inability to understand the difference between rooting and analysis remains a 'you' problem Tuscany, not a me problem.

Like I said, I truly hope Zach ends up on the Pats, purely to put emo guys like you in a pickle.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

You might but most others would not.  There’s enough tape on him now.  

Fair enough.  But I bet there are OCs/QB coaches who will absolutely want to bring him in because they think he still has high upside and they want to see if they can fix him.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Lol.  You're completely evading my question.

Again, if Purdy were on the Jets this year and had all of ZW's playing time, how do you think he'd be doing?

In this scenario, is Purdy here for three years and given 30 starts? Because a big reason that the franchise is where it is is because of Zach Wilson sucking for two years. It’s like asking how a Formula One driver would do if you put him in a car the previous driver had wrecked.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Your ongoing emo inability to understand the difference between rooting and analysis remains a 'you' problem Tuscany, not a me problem.

Like I said, I truly hope Zach ends up on the Pats, purely to put emo guys like you in a pickle.  

So you asking me if I'd root for ZW (on another team) against the Jets is different than me asking you if you rooted against ZW while he was on the Jets?   One counts as "rooting" and the other as "analysis"?

Ftr, I have no influence over the Jets' decision-making.  You don't have to be so upset with my opinions on what will soon be our former QB.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

In this scenario, is Purdy here for three years and given 30 starts? Because a big reason that the franchise is where it is is because of Zach Wilson sucking for two years. It’s like asking how a Formula One driver would do if you put him in a car the previous driver had wrecked.

I'm asking about this year's Purdy being on this year's Jets' team.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who’s the OC? 

27 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nate

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nope. Hackett is here because Zach sucked. This is why the hypothetical is flawed.

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

LMAO!  I'll consider that response as you conceding defeat on that question.  

Purdy would have excelled under MLF.  Thats why OC is pretty relevant here, Tuscany.

Even so I imagine Purdy is a top 20 QB even under Hackett, but you’re asking Tom not me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I dunno how you can argue Justin Herbert is in the "awesome/not limited by system" camp but Josh Allen is not.  

go look at both players first two seasons. One was putting up elite numbers immediately, one was in bust territory until year 3. Allen was a 55% passer in college and couldn’t break 58% in his first two seasons. His rushing ability was carrying him. Allen made an insane jump in year 3. Allen was a project player that needed to be developed. Herbert, was literally one of the best qbs in the NFL the moment he took the field. 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Purdy would have excelled under MLF.  Thats why OC is pretty relevant here, Tuscany.

Even so I imagine Purdy is a top 20 QB even under Hackett, but you’re asking Tom not me.

But it's irrelevant because that's not the question I'm asking.

I always enjoy the banter with you as well so feel free to jump in anytime.  And, unlike T0m, at least you answered the question!  lol 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Perhaps but IMHO having either of the other two out there would be more demoralizing.  I'd bet the fans would boo less with Zach under center now that they have seen the alternatives.  

I think they go back to Zach, they revert back to their Football 101 playbook, and it all looks like sh*t anyway. Going back to Zach just makes them look directionless. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Zach probably can produce a 8-9 or a 7-10 season for some team in the future and maybe if all the stars in the universe align maybe even a 9-7 season one day. We also know he is very capable of producing a very bad losing record too.

I guess if we were in another division like the NFC West we’re the leader had a losing record as is now back to 500, with Zach as our QB we might still have a shot at a wildcard. But in our division the leader usually has a winning record like Fins do right now at 9-3 and the 2nd place team is at 6-6. 

With 5 more games to go and 2 of them against teams with losing records we probably finish up at 6-11 which is definitely not getting us in as a wildcard.

So it comes down to being OK with a QB that probably doesn’t ever get us into the playoffs, but might is able to have us finish close to 500 or 7-10 like we finished last year.

I for one would like us to one day have a QB that can actually lead us back to the playoffs (forget the dream of a SuperBowl) . . . baby steps.

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

go look at both players first two seasons. One was putting up elite numbers immediately, one was in bust territory until year 3. Allen was a 55% passer in college and couldn’t break 58% in his first two seasons. His rushing ability was carrying him. Allen made an insane jump in year 3. Allen was a project player that needed to be developed. Herbert, was literally one of the best qbs in the NFL the moment he took the field. 

Yes, but as far as the bold, Allen notably had a seemingly maniacal desire to improve upon his accuracy.  He also still deals with turnover problems, of course, so that's not something he ever broke free from.  But the large majority of his success in this league (and failures) still come from Josh Allen himself. 

A critique of Zach Wilson that I believe is relevant here is that even though he says the right things (sometimes) and we were told he's a hard worker, you don't see that show up on the field, and I definitely don't think he has that "maniacal" drive to improve that Josh Allen had.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think they go back to Zach, they revert back to their Football 101 playbook, and it all looks like sh*t anyway. Going back to Zach just makes them look directionless. 

Consciously decided to Start Boyle in back to back NFL games told me this regime had no clue, but going back to Zach after demoting him to emergency/3rd string is just a bad look. But so is starting Boyle or Siemian.

This team is lost

• Upvote 1

.... And yet .... Still clearly the best option they have right now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

.... And yet .... Still clearly the best option they have right now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Imagine the scene, Dunnie—It is Sunday, a hostile home crowd half-fills a rainy MetLife Stadium. After a week of pitiful negotiation, Zach Wilson agrees to take the field against a young, ascending Texans team. Will Anderson has two sacks in the first quarter, Zach Wilson isn’t even looking downfield anymore, and rookie CJ Stroud has the Texans up 17-3 at the half. The defense is apathetic. Someone named “Nico Collins” has beaten Jordan Whitehead for two long TDs. The crowd—having been gaslit into believing that young QBs take three years to develop—is enraged. Zach Wilson comes out in the third and immediately throws an INT to Derek Stingley, then trots over to the bench, where an intern throws a parka over his shoulders, and he sits down stone-faced, eyes glazed, while a soaking wet Aaron Rodgers tries to explain to him, again, why you can’t throw that pass late against Cover Three Over. Saleh stares blankly across the field at his former protege DeMeco Ryans, young and buff, excited and smiling, slapping hands with his young and glorious defensive players feasting on a two touchdown lead, and remembers having dreams like that. Aspirations. Saleh gets snapped out of his dream by the sounds in his headphones. Another play call, but the same play again. Is this the third time, or the fifth? It’s a play that Zach Wilson agreed to run earlier this week as part of their negotiations. Woody Johnson was in the room. Joe Douglas. A 32 year old rep from Zach’s agency. There was a Powerpoint list of demands. Woody, speaking for the group, agreed to every one. Saleh hears Rodgers on the headset telling Wilson where to throw it if he gets a certain look. Wilson, on the field, gestures with his hands that he can’t hear anything. Saleh recognizes the defensive formation. It starts out in Cover Two, but he knows the safeties will invert and it’ll look like Cover Three, then the corners will walk up and it’ll end up being Cover Three Over. Saleh recognizes the trick because he invented it back in 2016 with the Seahawks and Pete Carroll gave him a game ball. Zach drops back, throws it to where Rodgers told him to throw it, and it is picked off and run back for a TD. The crowd is roaring. The CitiBank suites empty out. Saleh thinks back to the meeting and the 32 year old rep, and how he had spent the meeting fantasizing about killing the rep with his bare hands, like the Viggo Mortensen shower fight scene in Eastern Promises. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

At what point is anything Zach’s fault?

Playing QB in the NFL is the hardest position in sports.  That's why I'm fine with having a more nuanced opinion on ZW.  I think it's clear (at least, imo) that he has a lot of talent. 

Otoh, I'm not saying that none of his struggles are his fault.  And I realize we don't have an unlimited amount of time to develop him.  But I can understand JD's hesitancy to give up too quickly on a guy with his level of talent.  I see plenty of extenuating circumstances here (OL, WR, CS).  

I'd be very interested to see how he would do with a competent supporting cast.  It doesn't look like we're going to get that chance though.

DJ Ben-Amie, who used to be on the Jets beat and covers the Texans now, was on Cimini's podcast. Absolutely brutal compare and contrast segment with the two qbs. He also says someone who was on the Jets last year and is playing in Houston now (spoiler: Sheldon Rankins) said the locker room knew Zach wasn't it pretty much right away. There's an anecdote about him not putting in the requisite work. Grim stuff

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

DJ Ben-Amie, who used to be on the Jets beat and covers the Texans now, was on Cimini's podcast. Absolutely brutal compare and contrast segment with the two qbs. He also says someone who was on the Jets last year and is playing in Houston now (spoiler: Sheldon Rankins) said the locker room knew Zach wasn't it pretty much right away. There's an anecdote about him not putting in the requisite work. Grim stuff

Zach not putting in the work? FAKE NEWS

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

Sheldon Rankins: another member of the LAMEstream media anti-Jets conspiracy

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/4/2023 at 10:54 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm asking about this year's Purdy being on this year's Jets' team.

The Jets are a contender with Purdy.  He's better than Rodgers right now.  He's a fast processor with good foot work and highly accurate.  To discount how good Purdy has been is crazy at this point.    

The Jets would bring him down substantially.  He would also bring up the O substantially.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I know there are all different theories conspiracy or otherwise why the Jets did not quickly move on from Wilson.  I will say that IMO the main reason has been his contract.  He was prohibitive to cut and not worth a trade. 

Keeping him as the backup and then doubling down when Rodgers got hurt doesn’t feel contract related. They could have made a deal for a QB right then. If they were willing to pay for Davante in season, then they easily could have brought someone else in.

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You are wildly insecure. It’s getting a bit much now.

Mocking you doesn't make me insecure Matt.

I'm entirely secure in my view that the Woody/Jet Blue/Neeleman/Zach Conspiracy theory is worthy of constant, repetitive mocking, along with anyone who proclaims it as truth.

Get used to it, I fully plan to mock you over it for the remainder of our mutual time on JN.  Just like folks still mock me about Patrick Ramsey from literally 20 years ago.