Buying a minivan...

Alk

Yep, I'm biting the bullet and getting a minvan. Go ahead and fire away all you smartasses. So we are pretty much set on a 2005 Grand Caravan that we drove yesterday. Does anyone else here have one? From what we saw, it was perfect but I just wondered if there are any problems we should expect down the road that might make us steer clear of the vehicle.

I don't know anything about that specific mini van, but I drive one myself, and they get you from point A to point B. Since, I'm the DD of my group, it helps lugging around the drunks.

I'm just to the point that I'm not worried about having a vehicle that looks cool. I'm just not a midlife crisis kind of guy. When I got in that van, I was in complete awe of the amount of space. The rear seats completely fold down into the floor and there are huge storage compartments under the floor by the second row of seats. The thought of having that thing when it comes time for vacation really sold me. We looked at a few SUVs but in the end just laughed and agreed that those are pretty much for people that are more worried about looking cool. That's the only real explanation because there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to space.

Chrysler has been making those vans for a long time. They're pretty good at it. I think you can be confident in it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. My father in law bought one in 82' and drove it until about two years ago when he finally decided it just wasn't worth fixing anymore. My wife even took it on a trip to NY while she was still in college. The thing had to have had 300,000 miles on it at least.

I'm just to the point that I'm not worried about having a vehicle that looks cool. I'm just not a midlife crisis kind of guy. When I got in that van, I was in complete awe of the amount of space. The rear seats completely fold down into the floor and there are huge storage compartments under the floor by the second row of seats. The thought of having that thing when it comes time for vacation really sold me. We looked at a few SUVs but in the end just laughed and agreed that those are pretty much for people that are more worried about looking cool. That's the only real explanation because there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to space.

I see where you're coming from. There's nothing wrong with a van, at all. The're practical. And when you have a family, it carts all the children, plus wife, from point A, to B, C, and where ever.

I couldn't drive a mini-van. I need to be fast.

But I think that's just the stage your in for your first few years of having your license.

Hey, I had my Honda Odyssey running at 110 MPH and I could have pushed it even more if I wanted to.

Minivans are the way to go if you have a family.

Does the minivan have a DVD player for the kiddies in the backseat?

I'm sure your wife will love to drive you around town as you watch Zoolander in the backseat drinking juicy juice with your buddies.

No, we have a portable DVD player already. The built in dvd players are a joke. It's a $1,000 option and on top of that, once it breaks all you have is a cute little screen that flips up and down. The Chevy Uplander we looked at had one and it was like half the size of the portable that we already own. I kind of like the idea of hanging in the back seat in the built in booster seat and watching Zoolander. Sounds like a good time. :cheers:

Want my windstar???:) I am almost out of the mini van stage!!!!=D>

I have been driving mini vans for about nine years now and I am sooooo looking forward to a car soon. We are almost down to one child in a car seat so a car will work nicely. Alk don't get me wrong the mini van is definitely the way to go with kids and it has been great. It makes it alot easier to lug all the strollers and car seats. It is also good for tailgating and camping trips. However for me it is time for a car and the hubby can get a truck or something for those occasional trips.:D

What happened to the Sirius radio link? This caravan we're going to buy comes with Sirius in it so we are considering switching our other two vehicles over to Sirius from XM. I just wanted to price the receivers first. I know the subscription is the same price.

probably a great choice alk. when we were in minivan mode we had a mitsubishi that we loved. good on gas too, which was not much of a factor living here which is not much bigger than a daytona 500 loop but should be a factor for you guys. if you haven't looked at the mitsubishi, you should.

Our friends had an aerostar which had piles of room & they loved it, but had a few problems with it. good luck

If those are the two worst problems, I think I can work through them.

In ultra-real seriousness, a good friend of mine has one. It's actually a beautiful car/truck. I was amazed at how nicely it rides and handles. It also has a snappy 6 cylinder, killer factory stereo, and gets decent gas mileage.

In ultra-real seriousness, a good friend of mine has one. It's actually a beautiful car/truck. I was amazed at how nicely it rides and handles. It also has a snappy 6 cylinder, killer factory stereo, and gets decent gas mileage.

They really are nice and they do all they can to make them seem "cool" although they're still a minivan. :) As early as two years ago I was completely opposed to ever being so much as seeen in a minivan let alone actually owning one. I was in complete awe when I got in that van the other day though. I told my wife she had better take a picture. They really are smooth and quiet riding. Alot better than the Malibu that we are currently driving and it gets just as good gas mileage. We're going in tonight and will hopefully close the deal.

Had my original Dodge caravan from 1992 - 2002 and a honda since. 4 kids need a lot of room. Both the Honda and caravan drive great and have a lot of power. If you are going to splurge on any option get the navigator, worth its weight in gold, espicially if the wife is driving. THe dodge has a nicer warranty, the Honda is a bit better on overall quality. Lost a tranny in both and both were covered by warrenty.

If you replace factory radio do it after market. THey have a new DVD reciever sirius unit that you can connect to a top fold down or screens in the headrests. JVC sells one for about 300. The indash unit wont break and you control the dvd. Also plays recorded dvd's if your into that, about 1000 mp3s will fit on the dvd.

Yep, I'm biting the bullet and getting a minvan. Go ahead and fire away all you smartasses. So we are pretty much set on a 2005 Grand Caravan that we drove yesterday. Does anyone else here have one? From what we saw, it was perfect but I just wondered if there are any problems we should expect down the road that might make us steer clear of the vehicle.

got the wife the Nissan Quest

coolest looking functional mini van on the market, an awesome ride

got the wife the Nissan Quest

coolest looking functional mini van on the market, an awesome ride

You beat me to it. The Quest is an awesome vehicle. If you can get the Caravan at around 15-16K, you can't turn that deal down.

The only problem is that it's domestic, so it doesn't hold it value at all. But if you plan on keeping it for a long time, who gives a sh!t?

Also, read through this thread, there may be a couple of tips in there for you.http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13517&highlight=dealership

R44 took my advice and got a great deal on his new car.

You beat me to it. The Quest is an awesome vehicle. If you can get the Caravan at around 15-16K, you can't turn that deal down.

The only problem is that it's domestic, so it doesn't hold it value at all. But if you plan on keeping it for a long time, who gives a sh!t?

Also, read through this thread, there may be a couple of tips in there for you.http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13517&highlight=dealership

R44 took my advice and got a great deal on his new car.

That's exactly the range this van is going for. It's just a matter of how low we can talk the salesman down. We aren't too concerned about resale value. We're only using the van for vacations and weekends so we should be able to keep the van for a long time.

That's exactly the range this van is going for. It's just a matter of how low we can talk the salesman down. We aren't too concerned about resale value. We're only using the van for vacations and weekends so we should be able to keep the van for a long time.

Be sure to ask to see the invoice, then offer 1,000 less. If you can wait til the last day of the month, do it.

would never own one, but i have rented on several occaissions,,the caravan was the one i rented and it was enjoyable and performed very nice

would never own one, but i have rented on several occaissions,,the caravan was the one i rented and it was enjoyable and performed very nice

Yeah, you drove that over to Amedeos for one of the games...I remember it.

japvan.jpg

I liked your first one better though:

mulletvan.jpg

Archived