Coco Crisp OUT between 4 to 8 weeks!

Garb

Reports out of Boston say that Coco Crisp fractured either his knuckle or hand (depends on the news outlet) while trying to steal third yesterday. Again, depending on which news outlet you hear, he will be out four to eight weeks.

Bummer.

Thats a big loss for the Sox. I fully expect Theo to make a move for a CF to fill in for the time being. Maybe he gets Gathright from Tampa Bay? The Sox wont allow themselves to sit still without a legit CF for 8 weeks.

Dear Mr. Stern,

Happy Passover! Oh, and yah......please hold the fort for a while.

My guess is that they will plug in Stern f/t and spell him occasionally with Willie Mo (God help, RSN). However, if Wells is good to go sometime soon ( and he wants out "allegedly"), hmmm.......a trade is possible.

So, who's the lead-off hitter now?

Dear Mr. Stern,

Happy Passover! Oh, and yah......please hold the fort for a while.

My guess is that they will plug in Stern f/t and spell him occasionally with Willie Mo (God help, RSN). However, if Wells is good to go sometime soon ( and he wants out "allegedly"), hmmm.......a trade is possible.

So, who's the lead-off hitter now?

Probably Loretta will lead-off.

Stern has looked good early and Pena has played CF before.

Tough break but Sox can withstand a short term loss.

Well there hasn't been any confirmation on the injury in any of the major papers, so I'm still holding out hope. However, Adam Stern and Wily Mo Pena are both more than adept at playing CF and I wouldn't mind having either one out there for the time period, if Coco isn't healthy.

Willie Mo Pena's career CF stats: .985 fielding percentagE (league average was .987) and 2.71 range factor (league average range factor is 2.20)

what the Sawx lose in Crisp is a better hitter and baserunner than Stern/Mo Pena

It is a major loss, if he is indeed out for up to 8 weeks. I say the Bosox do not make the "panic" move. They try the Pena/Stern combo for a while. Maybe after the Yankee series, if Crisp is still out for another month, and the combo is not working, then they make a deal.

Maybe.

Ironically the Red Sox opted not to re-sign Johnny Damon cause they feared he might not stay healthy, and they couldn't stop patting themselves on the back when they dealt for the "younger/healthier" Coco Crisp ... remember that, GimmieShelter?

Having said that, I don't get any satisfaction out of anyones injuries, just pointing out the facts {Right GS?}, but I wish the young man a speedy recovery ... I even need him for my FB team

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox center fielder Coco Crisp has a fracture on the base of his index finger on his left hand and will be sidelined for at least 10 days.

Crisp

Crisp's hand will be immobilized in a splint for 10 days and then reevaluated, team medical director Dr. Thomas Gill said Monday. No surgery is needed to treat the injury, sustained when he tied to steal third base Saturday in Boston's 2-1 victory at the Baltimore Orioles.

"Once sufficient healing has occurred, Coco can begin batting and return to baseball activities," Gill said in a statement.

The 26-year-old Crisp, a switch-hitter who throws right-handed, was acquired in January from Cleveland after Johnny Damon signed with the New York Yankees. Crisp is batting .333 (8-for-24) with a double, triple and six runs scored.

The latest report

Reports out of Boston say that Coco Crisp fractured either his knuckle or hand (depends on the news outlet) while trying to steal third yesterday. Again, depending on which news outlet you hear, he will be out four to eight weeks.

Bummer.

that sucks. As much as I hate the sox...I want to kick their ass fair and square. Hopefully he will be back sooner. For the sox & my fantasy baseball team

I hope this indeed does provoke the Sox to put Loretta in the leadoff spot since he is a damn good hitter and sees lots of pitches. Coco doesnt do that and he should bat 2nd in the order. Though Coco has blazing speed and can seemingly steal a base at will.

And somebody else beat me to it...if the Sox can keep pitching and playing defense the way we are...who the F cares what the order is.

Ironically the Red Sox opted not to re-sign Johnny Damon cause they feared he might not stay healthy, and they couldn't stop patting themselves on the back when they dealt for the "younger/healthier" Coco Crisp ... remember that, GimmieShelter?

Having said that, I don't get any satisfaction out of anyones injuries, just pointing out the facts {Right GS?}, but I wish the young man a speedy recovery ... I even need him for my FB team

No, they let go of Damon because a center fielder with a little girl's arm does not deserve an 8 figure salary.

Ham you are in over your head as usual.

Crisp is cheaper, younger and puts up similiar numbers.

Damon's shoulder is chronic where Crisp got hurt swiping a base.

If you were the Yankee fan you claim to be you'd know Damon was quoted just this past w/end as saying he has to pick and choose when to throw with full power his shoulder is so bad.

Keep me informed with your facts Hammer.

Ham you are in over your head as usual.

Crisp is cheaper, younger and puts up similiar numbers.

but Damon still put up better numbers and was one of the most beloved guys on that franchise by personal and fans

thats like the Yankees letting Jeter go and trading for Tejada or something

but Damon still put up better numbers and was one of the most beloved guys on that franchise by personal and fans

thats like the Yankees letting Jeter go and trading for Tejada or something

Tell me that when Damon is Bernie like at the end of his contract.

You never overpay for past performances. Especially when there is a well documented injury concern to boot.

The Mets face the same with Pedro.

Damons a great player but Crisp was the smarter move by Boston.

but we don't need Damon to be centerfield after 2006, we could probably get a good agent CFer next off-season, slide Damon over to RF or LF and either not re-sign Sheffield or make him the DH

Damon probably stays in CF at least through 2007. Melky is most probably the next OF call up, and he will land in RF, replacing Sheff.

Archived