Jets sign Brad Kassell

jamesAngleton

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/316139

Player News

Free agent linebacker Brad Kassell agreed to a contract with the Jets. He's expected to play outside linebacker. "Brad has demonstrated through his first four seasons in the NFL that he is a tough player who understands the commitment level needed to succeed at the pro level," said GM Mike Tannenbaum. "People who have coached him have spoken about his selfless demeanor and the team-first mentality he has and we've put an emphasis on acquiring those types of talented players."

(Updated 04/10/2006).

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/316139

Player News

Free agent linebacker Brad Kassell agreed to a contract with the Jets. He's expected to play outside linebacker. "Brad has demonstrated through his first four seasons in the NFL that he is a tough player who understands the commitment level needed to succeed at the pro level," said GM Mike Tannenbaum. "People who have coached him have spoken about his selfless demeanor and the team-first mentality he has and we've put an emphasis on acquiring those types of talented players."

(Updated 04/10/2006).

Interesting signing, especially since many of the folks on this board didn't feel that OLB was a need on defense. Apparently the coaching staff feels differently.

Guess this means we won't draft Hawk. Too bad. I think he would have been a good fit.

Looks like maybe Mario or Leinart, since D'Brick will probably be a Saint.

Good deal. I've always liked Kassell.

JoeWillie, if you are referring to me, I said that OLB was not a large enough need that we should waste the fourth overall pick on Brian Bosworth II.

Not referring to you. I know you had a problem with Hawk specifically, not necessarily a LB.

Other people felt LB was not a need.

Everytime they sign a player Mr. T. basically says the same

thing about him ending with that's the kind player we are looking for.

Yet the other day therewere dozens upon dozens of posts concerning

Lendal White and how many guys thought the Jets should draft him.

I said it then and I say it again does T. have to send you a PM

that he will not draft Lendale White given all the character issues

being raised????

Everytime they sign a player Mr. T. basically says the same

thing about him ending with that's the kind player we are looking for.

Yet the other day therewere dozens upon dozens of posts concerning

Lendal White and how many guys thought the Jets should draft him.

I said it then and I say it again does T. have to send you a PM

that he will not draft Lendale White given all the character issues

being raised????

Excellent point partner...you got to remember though, some people (unlike us) have been to the freaken rodeo...;)

And some people here are the Queen of the Rodeo. LenDale White will be an excellent pro for someone.

And some people here are just "freaken Queens". By the way, he may be an excellent RB for some team, just not us and that's not the point of Senior's or my post...we're saying that White is not the type of player that fits this new staffs MO...whether you agree with that or not, that's the way it is.

And some people here are just "freaken Queens". By the way, he may be an excellent RB for some team, just not us and that's not the point of Senior's or my post...we're saying that White is not the type of player that fits this new staffs MO...whether you agree with that or not, that's the way it is.
All I think he needs is a little more motivation, which he will have once camp starts.

AWESOME SIGNING.

This one not as out of the blue like Dyson because of the Kassell talks about a month ago. Really good signing to bolster up that LB core.

OLB - Hobson or Chatham and Kassell

ILB - Barton / Vilma

BT could be a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 back-up OLB.

Also don't forget about Darrell McClover and his speed he could be a good OLB as well.

I'm lovin' it people!!

AWESOME SIGNING.

This one not as out of the blue like Dyson because of the Kassell talks about a month ago. Really good signing to bolster up that LB core.

OLB - Hobson or Chatham and Kassell

ILB - Barton / Vilma

BT could be a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 back-up OLB.

Also don't forget about Darrell McClover and his speed he could be a good OLB as well.

I'm lovin' it people!!

Am I missing something, or hasn't Barton always been an outside backer?

Who said Barton is going inside? Kassel is more of an inside guy, and Barton is better on the outside than Hobson is.

News flash..... even Mangini doesn't yet know who will play where.... he's said all along, he is looking for versatility. Guys that can play multiple positions. He's going to mix and match and see what works best.... and still remain flexable.

News flash..... even Mangini doesn't yet know who will play where.... he's said all along, he is looking for versatility. Guys that can play multiple positions. He's going to mix and match and see what works best.... and still remain flexable.

That right there, Thunderbird, is the only thing keeping my 'HAWK at #4' dream alive.

matt cassell, brad kassell, i wonder if white castle will sponsor us

he could either back up vilma or move vilma to OLB

Vilma stays inside and runs to the ball. This is also why I think that Kassell will be an OLB, with Barton moving inside next to Vilma.

I wonder if there is a spot for Hobson, as he never impressed me as a pass-rushing LB, and that is a skill the OLB in the 3-4 needs.

From ESPN Inisder......

"Kassell has marginal size to play in the middle, but he is a tough, downhill-to-the-ball type of player who will survive because he plays with good instincts and has good play recognition. He does a great job from tackle to tackle and is a leader in the sense that he makes sure everyone is lined up correctly to play the defense that is called. He has decent foot quickness and good lateral movement and shows he has good body control and change-of-direction skills. He is a classic overachiever who plays with a high level of intensity. He takes good angles to the ball in pursuit and is a very aggressive tackler who has the ability to uncoil and hit through a ball carrier. He does an excellent job on special teams and has a good nose for the ball. He lacks the speed to be a sideline-to-sideline player and is somewhat of a liability in definite passing situations. He has good awareness in coverage but just doesn't have the running ability to match up versus the faster backs and tight ends in man-to-man coverage. He can be engulfed by the bigger offensive linemen and does not use his hands real well to strike and shed blockers. He needs to beat you to the hole, and if he gets blocked he stays blocked. He is a situational player who plays the run well but you need to get him out in most passing situations."

From ESPN Inisder......

"Kassell has marginal size to play in the middle, but he is a tough, downhill-to-the-ball type of player who will survive because he plays with good instincts and has good play recognition. He does a great job from tackle to tackle and is a leader in the sense that he makes sure everyone is lined up correctly to play the defense that is called. He has decent foot quickness and good lateral movement and shows he has good body control and change-of-direction skills. He is a classic overachiever who plays with a high level of intensity. He takes good angles to the ball in pursuit and is a very aggressive tackler who has the ability to uncoil and hit through a ball carrier. He does an excellent job on special teams and has a good nose for the ball. He lacks the speed to be a sideline-to-sideline player and is somewhat of a liability in definite passing situations. He has good awareness in coverage but just doesn't have the running ability to match up versus the faster backs and tight ends in man-to-man coverage. He can be engulfed by the bigger offensive linemen and does not use his hands real well to strike and shed blockers. He needs to beat you to the hole, and if he gets blocked he stays blocked. He is a situational player who plays the run well but you need to get him out in most passing situations."

What were they thinking? It is almost like this new regime is trying to improve this team or something sick like that.

Archived