Jets | Thomas to move to OLB

TaborJet

Jets | Thomas to move to OLB

Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:25:33 -0700

NewYorkJets.com reports the New York Jets are attempting to move DE Bryan Thomas to outside linebacker. They believe his speed and athleticism are better suited for the position. The knock on Thomas is his lack of experience. Thomas is currently penciled in as the starter opposite incumbent OLB Victor Hobson.

Barton is moving to the ILB slot next to Vilma.

Anyways, I really love BT as a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 back-up OLB. Not a bad deal at all IMO if he can learn the position.

Barton plays inside MLB... that means we will expect to see a plenty of roughness on passer penalties by Barton this season... lol. Hope he controls his deirse.

Barton plays inside MLB... that means we will expect to see a plenty of roughness on passer penalties by Barton this season... lol. Hope he controls his deirse.
Thanks god we won that SD game, if we lost he might have been thrown under the bus and gone, which would have been a shame.

the one thing about BT is he's never b!tched once-since we drafted him(way too high of course) but he has been a solid soldier and I hope he stays and think he has the right attitude to do something like this.

You know we haven't heard one word from Shaun Ellis-who is a leader-or at least WAS until a certain CS ruined the team.Some of these guys,I'm curious to see what they'll do under team Mangini

Where's Bitonti to tell us why Bryan Thomas's move to OLB makes it unnecesarry to draft a linebacker?

I think he finally came around on Thomas. The guy's a nice backup to have though. Unfortunately, it came at the expense of a 1st round pick, while we could have had a HOF safety.

Where's Bitonti to tell us why Bryan Thomas's move to OLB makes it unnecesarry to draft a linebacker?

regardless it's not a need pick. I think Hawk is a great player and a super unit is all well and good but you can find LBs. The Jets have Vilma, Barton, Hobson, McClover coming back, Chatham, Myers, the new dude Kassell.. and now Thomas.

how many friggin linebackers do we need? how about a QB? how about an OT? Chad is coming off of two cuffs! Marko Cavka is listed as the starting RT!

everyone thinks they are going defense and maybe that's the case but the offense is an abomination right now.

I like this move alot. Before last season I shared this idea about him being a possible 3-4 rush OLB, not saying I was the first one to think of that, of course I wasnt, but I'm glad to see it wasnt a farfetched idea and it actually may happen!

That move probably saved Bryan Thomas' career.

I think he'll be very effective as an OLB in the 3-4.

2 thoughts:

1. The fact that he is even penciled in as starter there shows the current state of this roster (fragile)

2. If it works, Mangini is the man. The old staff was happy just to get his eating order under control. If the new staff actually gets him to play football, good things await!

2 thoughts:

1. The fact that he is even penciled in as starter there shows the current state of this roster (fragile)

2. If it works, Mangini is the man. The old staff was happy just to get his eating order under control. If the new staff actually gets him to play football, good things await!

Perhaps. But if Thomas dropped back down to the 255-lb range to get his speed back to near his drafted-speed (and can handle lb duties) he could be a terror there. You know he can tackle & run. Just a matter of whether or not he gets lost in space & can change directions well enough.

2 thoughts:

With the singing of Kassell he's no longer the penciled in starter. Kassell and Hobson are the starters at OLB right now with Bryan Thomas and Matt Chatham competiting. Also lets all not forget Darrell McClover will return this season.

With the singing of Kassell he's no longer the penciled in starter. Kassell and Hobson are the starters at OLB right now with Bryan Thomas and Matt Chatham competiting. Also lets all not forget Darrell McClover will return this season.

McClover has shown nothing zero ziltch-he won't even make the team.He's another one of those guys you can't depend on.I like how Mangini and Mike T seem to have a lot less tolerance when it comes to question marks like him,Chad and say a Barton on the roster.

McClover has shown nothing zero ziltch-he won't even make the team.He's another one of those guys you can't depend on.I like how Mangini and Mike T seem to have a lot less tolerance when it comes to question marks like him,Chad and say a Barton on the roster.

You gotta love McClover's speed though.

Barton is a question mark? He played excellent in 04 and last year got hurt early. Injuries do happen ya know. He'll come back and have another good year in the 3-4 at ILB this season.

jets fans get excited over nothing..

Thomas has done NOTHING in the NFL..lets not call tis a great move till it works out..Mglover has done even less...

STARTERS...

Vilma and Kassel in the middle...

Hobson/Chatham and Barton on the outside....

LB is starting to take shape and have depth..

No way we draft HAWK

Perhaps. But if Thomas dropped back down to the 255-lb range to get his speed back to near his drafted-speed (and can handle lb duties) he could be a terror there. You know he can tackle & run. Just a matter of whether or not he gets lost in space & can change directions well enough.

I agree with what you said. My feeling is that he will tackle well. He has the speed if his weight is in line. I think he will get lost at times though.

But...my point is that this is basically an experiment. This guy can not play DE in the 3-4. So they have no other choice. The fact that he is even penciled in as the starter is a bit scary. He can do it, but he has a LOT to prove.

Archived