Jump to content

NFL teams with offensive-minded head coaches are more likely to succeed (WaPo)


Warfish

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Wasn’t that the whole point of getting Aaron Rodgers?

It was the point, but it hasnt worked, and it was a desperation move by a desparate regime. Had AR been what everyone hoped and the Jets are 8-3 right now, nobody is saying a damn word about Saleh/JD/Hackett, but the offense is so damn bad that I don't think we woud be sitting at 8-3 even with rodgers, mabye we would be a game or two better, but were not. The offense has looked absolutely awful, and becuase of that, the regime needs to be questioned, its on 3 years of terrible offense now, at what point do they get held accountable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I love your binary world, must be nice. If the Jets had a QB that had them as a current SB favorite, nobody would be killing them right now about ZW. If Pete Carroll didnt win a SB with Rus Wilson, he would not have lived down matt Flynn. You can overcome mistakes when you are a good coach and have a good structure in place. When the Jets have a QB as a threat to win a SB under Saleh, JD, I will gladly forgive them for their mistakes. Until then, I am going to continue to say they have no clue on what they are doing, and are nto going to get it right next time. You think its all about luck, I don't, I don't think they know what they hell they are doing

If you stick with a sh*tty QB forever you will not find a QB that is a threat to win a SB.  If Pete Carroll started Matt Flynn for three years Russell Wilson doesn't win a super bowl

BTW, I have no ******* idea what that binary world comment is supposed to mean, but I am pretty sure you don't either.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you stick with a sh*tty QB forever you will not find a QB that is a threat to win a SB.  If Pete Carroll started Matt Flynn for three years Russell Wilson doesn't win a super bowl

BTW, I have no ******* idea what that binary world comment is supposed to mean, but I am pretty sure you don't either.

lol, you are funny. Parcells in your mind is a blowhard bad coach because of a few bad decisions, despite overall being one of the greatest HC's of all time.

Pete Carroll didnt start Matt Flynn for 3 years but he had Russ Wilson on the bench, which he was a part of. 

Are you suggesting that if we played Simien, Boyle all season we were winning a SB?? Your statements are ludicrous. You want to excuse a staff/regime that has literally zero clue on how to generate offense for a player they drafted and developed, while they have nothing else to fall back on. And worse, without that horrible QB, they have a worse record than with him!

I am not surprised you don't know what it means...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Larz said:

The QB makes the coach. 
 

Tomlin and belicheat are the guys usually held up as winning DC turned HC

give Rex Brady or Ben and he probably has a ring. 

The coach finds the QB, and develops him, a coach sitting around waiting for a QB is like waiting to get a job trying to hit the lottery, stupid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

lol, you are funny. Parcells in your mind is a blowhard bad coach because of a few bad decisions, despite overall being one of the greatest HC's of all time.

Pete Carroll didnt start Matt Flynn for 3 years but he had Russ Wilson on the bench, which he was a part of. 

Are you suggesting that if we played Simien, Boyle all season we were winning a SB?? Your statements are ludicrous. You want to excuse a staff/regime that has literally zero clue on how to generate offense for a player they drafted and developed, while they have nothing else to fall back on. And worse, without that horrible QB, they have a worse record than with him!

I am not surprised you don't know what it means...

I said Parcells was a blowhard because he is.  He is also a fat **** and a douche, but he was still a very good coach.  

I am not suggesting that if they start Boyle or Siemian they would win a super bowl.  I am suggesting the fact that they didn't at least try to find other QBs besides Rodgers during Wilson's three years is an obvious mistake.  I am not sure how that is "excusing the regime." 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I said Parcells was a blowhard because he is.  He is also a fat **** and a douche, but he was still a very good coach.  

I am not suggesting that if they start Boyle or Siemian they would win a super bowl.  I am suggesting the fact that they didn't at least try to find other QBs besides Rodgers during Wilson's three years is an obvious mistake.  I am not sure how that is "excusing the regime." 

ok cool, so you are arguing with me just to argue with me. I think this regime has no clue of what they are doing offensively, and expecting them to figure it out is like hoping to win the lottery. They made a desperation move in trying to get Rodgers because they have no ability to identify nor develop a qb, and, they stuck with ZW, and they looked about as bad when any other non ZW QB has played save a few games, but lose at a greater pace without ZW than with him. Ill say it again, find a regime who knows how to identify and work with a QB and our QB problems will be solved, keep hiring DC's with no clue on how to hire good offensive people, we will continue to have qb problems

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

The QB makes the coach. 
 

Tomlin and belicheat are the guys usually held up as winning DC turned HC

give Rex Brady or Ben and he probably has a ring. 

I would tend to disagree with this. Tomlin has never had a losing season, and he has continued this success. They are 7-4 with Kenny Kitten Mittens at QB. Belichick was able to be successful despite not being a great GM because he had Tom Brady, but his coaching also helped contribute to that. I'd wager that the Patriots would have more rings if BB was actually good at drafting. He's a good coach, but he's saddled himself with such a bad roster that even good coaching can't do that out.

Not to mention John Harbaugh, who won a ring with Joe Flacco, was the DB coach for the Eagles before getting the Ravens HC hire.

In the Super Bowls since 2001, nearly half of the wins were on teams coached by former defensive coaches. (12-10). 4 years ago, it was more than half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It is well accepted that the most important player on an NFL team is the starting QB. It is a pretty short walk from that point to the realization that selecting a HC that best insures the success of your QB would 100% of the time be the best hire. I don't think that necessarily eliminates coaches that have come from the D side of the ball, but it does eliminate those without a plan for their QB to succeed.

QB evaluation >> QB development

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

QB luck > QB evaluation > QB development 

Luck factor is strong but there’s plenty of prospects we can all tell got over-drafted.  Remember when I listed off the key indicators of a QB bust?  Yeah…

Meanwhile, we’ve seen teams find success targeting QBs with elite athleticism who can extend plays in case they end up being slow processors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Luck factor is strong but there’s plenty of prospects we can all tell got over-drafted.  Remember when I listed off the key indicators of a QB bust?  Yeah…

Meanwhile, we’ve seen teams find success targeting QBs with elite athleticism who can extend plays in case they end up being slow processors. 

I still think luck is the biggest factor, since most guys are significant disappointments or flat-out busts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I still think luck is the biggest factor, since most guys are significant disappointments or flat-out busts. 

If that’s the case then there’s no point devoting huge resources into evaluating and drafting QB prospects.  Might as well only take them in the mid-rounds and hope for the best, no?

No, I don’t think that works either.  The pre-draft process does indeed help you find QBs who check several boxes, and those guys aren’t available later in the draft.  The biggest box, processing speed, just happens to be the hardest to evaluate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If that’s the case then there’s no point devoting huge resources into evaluating and drafting QB prospects.  Might as well only take them in the mid-rounds and hope for the best, no?

No, I don’t think that works either.  The pre-draft process does indeed help you find QBs who check several boxes, and those guys aren’t available later in the draft.  The biggest box, processing speed, just happens to be the hardest to evaluate.

I think you take one every year until you have one - I just think the NFL is really, really bad at evaluating QBs, for the reason you mentioned - no one knows how to evaluate how well these guys are going to process information in real time under the duress of an NFL pass rush. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...