Dane Brugler Mock 1.0: Jets draft…Brock Bowers

T0mShane

https://theathletic.com/5096030/2023/11/29/nfl-mock-draft-2024-caleb-williams-drake-maye-bears-cardinals/

Brugler is the best draft guy working these days, and he seems to be really plugged in so his stuff is always interesting. FTR, he was not a fan of the Jets taking McDonald last year and thought they should have gone receiver. His first ten: 

1. Bears—Caleb Williams

2. Cardinals—Marvin Harrison Jr

3. Patriots—Drake Maye

4. Bears—Joe Alt

5. Commanders—Olu Fashanu

6. Giants—Malik Nabors

7. Bucs—Jayden Daniels

8. Jets—Brock Bowers

9. Chargers—JC Latham

10. Titans—Dallas Turner

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

https://theathletic.com/5096030/2023/11/29/nfl-mock-draft-2024-caleb-williams-drake-maye-bears-cardinals/

Brugler is the best draft guy working these days, and he seems to be really plugged in so his stuff is always interesting. FTR, he was not a fan of the Jets taking McDonald last year and thought they should have gone receiver. His first ten: 

1. Bears—Caleb Williams

2. Cardinals—Marvin Harrison Jr

3. Patriots—Drake Maye

4. Bears—Joe Alt

5. Commanders—Olu Fashanu

6. Giants—Malik Nabors

7. Bucs—Jayden Daniels

8. Jets—Brock Bowers

9. Chargers—JC Latham

10. Titans—Dallas Turner

If we picked 8th and that's how the 1st 7 picks went down, I'd be fine with that pick.  We badly need another receiving threat but it sounds like Bowers is a unicorn type player.  GW and Bowers would be 2 legit threats.  We could add a WR in FA. 

That said, I'd be really upset if the Pats got Drake Maye and we missed out on Jayden Daniels by 1 pick.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, OilfieldJet said:

Yes, I’m surprised at the response.

I haven't seen that much of Bowers but I've heard he's got a skill set that you just don't see.  If he's another Travis Kelce, that would go a long way toward helping the passing game.  Obviously we'd still need a lot of help at OL though.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we picked 8th and that's how the 1st 7 picks went down, I'd be fine with that pick.  We badly need another receiving threat but it sounds like Bowers is a unicorn type player.  GW and Bowers would be 2 legit threats.  We could add a WR in FA. 

That said, I'd be really upset if the Pats got Drake Maye and we missed out on Jayden Daniels by 1 pick.

The Jets need an OT, WR or QB.  They need to crank the Tank up and pick higher. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Just not a fan of using a top 10 pick on a TE. If we aren't going OL, I would much prefer a WR or to simply trade down. 

Funny b/c while wr and TE are both weapons, the perception is that the wr is a better weapon.  I just don’t see douglas doing this.  If he’s aggressive in FA and really beefs up the OL in FA, then i guess it opens it up to wr.  

I'd prefer the Jets lose more games and draft higher to take Joe Alt.  However, Bowers would also be a key pick.  He's an elite TE.  He would help the offense tremendously.  Especially if Rodgers is the QB.  He loves to throw to the TE's.  If they do indeed take Bowers, gotta keep fingers crossed that Becton, AVT and Tipp are in very good order and they don't get injured.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Bowers is a beast.  Look at what impact Kittle LaPorta, Hockenson etc(those guys are monsters, where did they come from?) can do for an offense.  I’d be fine with Bowers but passing on Latham for him does not seem likely to me.

Alt is my dream scenario but that’s a long shot.

Kyle Pitts.

• Sympathy 1

This would have potential to be a monster pick. Brock Bowers has had an unbelievable college career. The Jets are going to have a lot of room to work with in FA and it’s possible the OL has been repaired by the time we hit April… so if that’s the case then why not? Elite offensive weapons should never be turned away from

Here is what I don't understand:

You go out and buy a shiny new Lamborghini.  You get the shiniest rims, the shiniest add-ons and do-hickeys, and thing-a-ma-jiggies, and have the BEST shiny new Lamborghini.  Then, you drive it home and park it in a garage that is falling down.

Wouldn't it make sense to first fix the garage, then get the shiny new toy?  

I was a big fan of Hockenson the year he came out, so I'm not in theory against a TE in the upper 1st.

But I just have to wonder how JD is going to fix this O-line for 2024 if the highest asset we throw at it is a 2024 3rd rounder or less.

Maybe we're just running it back on O-line too, maybe this will be the year Becton (Franchised?), AVT, Tippman, et. al. etc. can all stay healthy and not miss time....right?

The mental image of Rodgers gimping around behind a poop O-line, scowling all the time in frustration, does not fill my soul with hope.

Guess fans of this move just think FA will solve everything.  If only it were so easy and there was no cap...

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I was a big fan of Hockenson the year he came out, so I'm not in theory against a TE in the upper 1st.

But I just have to wonder how JD is going to fix this O-line for 2024 if the highest asset we throw at it is a 2024 3rd rounder or less.

Maybe we're just running it back on O-line too, maybe this will be the year Becton (Franchised?), AVT, Tippman, et. al. etc. can all stay healthy and not miss time....right?

The mental image of Rodgers gimping around behind a poop O-line, scowling all the time in frustration, does not fill my soul with hope.

I think it's the lock of the century that the Jets use their 1st pick on either an OL or WR (likely OL). The only question to me is whether they trade down first and try to recoup more picks. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think it's the lock of the century that the Jets use their 1st pick on either an OL or WR (likely OL). The only question to me is whether they trade down first and try to recoup more picks. 

We are in agreement.  One caveat, if they actually play rodgers the last month and he wins a few games, this could push the jets into the 15-18 range.  If that happens, the best OL are likely gone as well as the best wrs.  What happens then, do they take best tackle and move on?  Probably.  A sick move would be trading back to the last 3rd of round 1 and taking a qb and then going OL on day 2 with both picks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

We are in agreement.  One caveat, if they actually play rodgers the last month and he wins a few games, this could push the jets into the 15-18 range.  If that happens, the best OL are likely gone as well as the best wrs.  What happens then, do they take best tackle and move on?  Probably.  A sick move would be trading back to the last 3rd of round 1 and taking a qb and then going OL on day 2 with both picks.  

I see this team completely collapsing and Rodgers not being even seriously tempted to come back, but if they do somehow win a few games, but I'd be just fine taking a QB we really like.

Keep drafting a QB until you have one. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

We're getting Bakthiari so LT will be "solved", Bowers is not a bad pick the guy looks like a bonifide all-pro.

The real problem is that TE is the second most difficult position to evaluate after QB and with the Jets luck the guy will almost 100% suck or get injuried every year.

If this GM brings in a guy who hasn't played a full season since 2019 to be our franchise LT, he should be fired at the introductory press conference. 

It wouldn't shock me, though. It is the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

Brock Bowers is not Kyle Pitts, OJ Howard, David Njoku, Evan Engram or any of the other 1st round TE disappointments that we've seen over the years.

I hope these disappointments cause him to the drop in the draft and that the Jets are lucky enough to grab him.

Because I'm inherently racist, Bowers reminds me of a Christian McCaffrey type athlete with an extra five inches and 20+ pounds. He's dynamic and is ultimately a receiver who should catch 80+ passes a year.

Draft him.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2