YOU are the Owner .. What's your plan ?

Dunnie

sh*tcan douglas and saleh. i don't want douglas ruining another draft. and after saleh went and called out breece hall when the oline is avergaing 0.0 yds before contact on him....well saleh is just a f*ckin buffoon. the offense is broken af and you call out hall? those 2 f*cking morons needs to be fired....i'd fire them today

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Well this is basically Aaron Rodgers’ team until he retires, and given that power + money I think he plays 2-3 more years. You’re committed to that ideology as the owner(s).

• Can a 100% healthy Aaron Rodgers win a Super Bowl with Saleh running our D, Rodgers and his buddy running the O, and if JD can upgrade the OL in this 2-3 year window? I think it’s a possibility.

• Do I think Saleh is a good enough head coach, JD good enough GM, Hacket good enough OC, to without Aaron Rodgers-elite-type QB? Hello no

• So whenever this fails or succeeds and ends the regime needs to be ripped to shreds and started over again.

You made Aaron Rodgers the captain of the organization. So you run with it until its over then start new.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1) Throw a truckload of cash Harbaugh's way to build an elite offensive staff. Negotiate with him on defensive side, leaving the possibility of retaining Ulbrich as DC on the table if he's open to it.

2) Sit Rodgers down now and tell him you respect everything he's done in this league and are still excited to see what he can do for this team in 2024, but he's going to need to decide if that's what he wants knowing that big changes are coming. Those changes include less influence by him on player transactions and he will be executing the offense that the new coaches see fit. If that's not what he wants, we wish you a happy retirement. Do not care one iota about the short term cap hit.

3) IMMEDIATELY start exploring my options for a quick exit from the MetLife disaster commitment. Municipalities throughout the area will be tripping over themselves to woo the Jets once they figure out an exit strategy. All options considered, with heavy consideration to the 5 boroughs and Westchester. Long Island is a sh*thole and NJ is NJ, so they're going to have to blow me away to settle my team there.

4) Zach Wilson jettisoned from roster as soon as possible, not here in 2024. Cook gone. Uzomah gone. Huff extended. Heavy consideration to drafting a QB in Rd 1, but only OL or WR will be considered acceptable alternatives. If you draft a TE or DL in Round 1, you will be fired immediately. 

EDIT: 4 boroughs. Staten Island, LMAO.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1) Throw a truckload of cash Harbaugh's way to build an elite offensive staff. Negotiate with him on defensive side, leaving the possibility of retaining Ulbrich as DC on the table if he's open to it.
2) Sit Rodgers down now and tell him you respect everything he's done in this league and are still excited to see what he can do for this team in 2024, but he's going to need to decide if that's what he wants knowing that big changes are coming. Those changes include less influence by him on player transactions and he will be executing the offense that the new coaches see fit. If that's not what he wants, we wish you a happy retirement. Do not care one iota about the short term cap hit.
3) IMMEDIATELY start exploring my options for a quick exit from the MetLife disaster commitment. Municipalities throughout the area will be tripping over themselves to woo the Jets once they figure out an exit strategy. All options considered, with heavy consideration to the 5 boroughs and Westchester. Long Island is a sh*thole and NJ is NJ, so they're going to have to blow me away to settle my team there.
4) Zach Wilson jettisoned from roster as soon as possible, not here in 2024. Cook gone. Uzomah gone. Huff extended. Heavy consideration to drafting a QB in Rd 1, but only OL or WR will be considered acceptable alternatives. If you draft a TE or DL in Round 1, you will be fired immediately. 
EDIT: 4 boroughs. Staten Island, LMAO.
Interesting! I love the Westchester idea. Much easier and less stressful commute for NJ guys.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

There is no decision to make.  You signed rodgers and you have to give this regime a chance w him.  They did not get that this year.

We went all in and we will see this through.  

This is a business.  You dont bail on a huge investment because of a setback.

2025 is when decisions will be made about the future of this franchise.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

As of "Black Monday" I would:

1. Fire Douglas

2. Fire Saleh and Hackett

3. Fire the training staff/health and wellness staff

4. Find some way to get out of the Rodgers contract and him off the team.

5. Cut all the ex-Packers (and Cook, who was on a 1 year anyway).  We might be stuck with Lazyard.

6. Demand we replace the turf at Met Life with Grass, or the Jets will sue to get out of the Joint-Stadium deal.  Make the Giants comply and share the cost.

7. Hire the best available GM candidate (I don't know who that would be, nor do any of us, fans generally have no idea about GM candidates in waiting).

8. Hire Harbaugh, or the best available Offensive-minded, resume of SOME QB success/Head Coaching experienced, Head Coach.

9. Cut Zach Wilson.  Cut Seimian.  Cut Boyle.

10. Eliminate the "New" Era Uniforms.  Uniforms would be the 60's classics (Home) and the 1980's (Away) from here on.

Sorta shifting to GM now......these shouldn;t be the Owners call alone:

11. In the 2024 Draft I would encourage my GM to consider drafting a QB with the #1 pick, as much O-line as possible after that, and another QB with a late round pick.  I would encourage trade downs were possible, especially at pick #1 where a possible trade down could still net you a QB like Penix.  I'd also like to get the WR Johnny Wilson if possible. 

12. I would sign Winston, or trade for Minshew, or acquire some other similar veteran journeyman QB with a record of productive QB play (even if high in INT's) to be the starting QB in 2024.  My #1 pick would not start in 2024, period.

13. Alternatively, if I was unable to get out of the Rodgers deal financially, I would keep him and he'd start, but he'd get no say in personnel. 

14. I throw any and all remaining FA money at the O-line.  Whatever it takes, I don't even look at the Defense this cycle apart from maintaining basically. 

15. See how it works out, likely we suffer pretty badly for at least a year or two as we wait to get out from under the Rodgers fiasco.  In that time I focus on O-line, my goal as Owner/GM is to have the best O-line in the NFL, and a competent QB behind it leading my offence.  I care much less about having a top Defense but I'd still try to keep it decent, but the O would be my focus. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As of "Black Monday" I would:

1. Fire Douglas

2. Fire Saleh and Hackett

3. Fire the training staff/health and wellness staff

4. Find some way to get out of the Rodgers contract and him off the team.

5. Cut all the ex-Packers (and Cook, who was on a 1 year anyway).  We might be stuck with Lazyard.

6. Demand we replace the turf at Met Life with Grass, or the Jets will sue to get out of the Joint-Stadium deal.  Make the Giants comply and share the cost.

7. Hire the best available GM candidate (I don't know who that would be, nor do any of us, fans generally have no idea about GM candidates in waiting).

8. Hire Harbaugh, or the best available Offensive-minded, resume of SOME QB success/Head Coaching experienced, Head Coach.

9. Cut Zach Wilson.  Cut Seimian.  Cut Boyle.

10. Eliminate the "New" Era Uniforms.  Uniforms would be the 60's classics (Home) and the 1980's (Away) from here on.

Sorta shifting to GM now......these shouldn;t be the Owners call alone:

11. In the 2024 Draft I would encourage my GM to consider drafting a QB with the #1 pick, as much O-line as possible after that, and another QB with a late round pick.  I would encourage trade downs were possible, especially at pick #1 where a possible trade down could still net you a QB like Penix.  I'd also like to get the WR Johnny Wilson if possible. 

12. I would sign Winston, or trade for Minshew, or acquire some other similar veteran journeyman QB with a record of productive QB play (even if high in INT's) to be the starting QB in 2024.  My #1 pick would not start in 2024, period.

13. Alternatively, if I was unable to get out of the Rodgers deal financially, I would keep him and he'd start, but he'd get no say in personnel. 

14. I throw any and all remaining FA money at the O-line.  Whatever it takes, I don't even look at the Defense this cycle apart from maintaining basically. 

15. See how it works out, likely we suffer pretty badly for at least a year or two as we wait to get out from under the Rodgers fiasco.  In that time I focus on O-line, my goal as Owner/GM is to have the best O-line in the NFL, and a competent QB behind it leading my offence.  I care much less about having a top Defense but I'd still try to keep it decent, but the O would be my focus. 

Well you’ll be disappointed.

• Haha 1

An AR return this season is necessary for all parties.  Even if the Jets are out of contention or in the playoffs.  If they are out of contention it is still great if he comes back for at least one game.  This works even if AR does not come back next year.  It's a no brainer.

Saleh and Douglas are set for next year even if this goes very badly.  They just need to keep the wheels from falling off the thing.  However, I certainly be planning for some roster changes as well.

Cobb and Lazard gone next year would be a good idea.  As would getting rid of both the FA TEs.

The OL needs three upgrades.  Tippman will start.  I would part ways with Becton and Mitchell.  The hope would be to get three new starters via what's left or FA, the draft or trades.

The Cook debate remains open at this point.  The Jets either cut bait or enjoy it getting better every week.

A post AR QB needs to be targeted.  Along with suitable back up capable of starting behind the revamped OL.

Then next year, I see a pretty satisfied group of people when things thing finally put the Jets back in the SB.  Win or lose.  Because there always has to be a - what can we do to make this team better without becoming the Yankees mentality.  A Dodger approach might be good.

Im not going to get into the metlife disaster stuff but this is an excellent thread.

1.  Im going to JD and telling him to do his job as GM.  Find out what is really happening in Washington because Bienemy is by far the best candidate out there.  Kick the tires on Harbough and Ben Johnson.  I am not moving on from saleh for just anyone but that if we can improve the HC positiont that is the number 1 task.

2. Sitting down with Rogers to explain the following - circumstances change.  We were all in with you, cobb, hackett etc but you unfortunately got hurt so its my job to adapt.  We are excited to have you as the starting QB in 2024 but personnel, mainly the draft, will be addressed with the best interests of the organization's future, not just 2024.  I cannot assure you today who will be the HC or OC but I will assure you that the dialogue will be open and you will be a PART of the conversation. 

3.  Free agency is really difficult as there are 2 main players to address in Huff and Becton.  Id like to franchise Huff and place the transition tag on Becton.  The transition tag allows us to match an offer if we want and essentially let the market dictate his value.  We have too many OL holes to fill and letting him walk even given his injury history is too big of a risk since when he is on the field he can be an elite player.  This also gives us more flexibility in the draft. Franchising huff allows us one more year of having an elite pass rush and then let him walk after 2024, get a comp pick, and let McDonald take over.  

5. Draft.  There are 4 elite players in this draft in Caleb, Maye, Harrinson and Olumuyiwa Fashanu.  Any of those 4 is a no brainer if we pick in the top 4 but I think thats doubtful.  After that JD really has to evaluate both short and long term.  This board (myself included) always loves trading down and this draft if you are picking in the top 8 or so is no different as there will be good QBs available in the teens and early second round.  But I think we have to pick a QB in top 50 picks.  It would be very valuable for any young QB to sit behind Rogers and if we had someone like Nix or McCarthy that would also solve our backup problem as they are good enough to come in and play but ideally would benefit from a year or 2 behind rogers.  We can make every other pick OL but you cant not get a QB to develop its just too important and is the sole beneift of this disaster of a season.

6.  2023 - Carter Warren gets every snap at RT going forward.  Brownlee gets every snap that Lazard would get.  Ruckert gets every snap that CJ would get.  

7. Free Agency - im targeting Michael Pittman and Curtis Samuel at WR as they are mid-tier as far as money and will improve the WR group enough with a competent QB and OL.  I want to solidify WR to avoid having to use a high pick on a receiver in the draft (unless its harrison).

So in short give me Bienemy, Rogers, Nix/McCarthy, any OT in the draft, Pittman, and Becton along with a returning AVT and this team should be ready for 2024 and to compete in the future.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Interesting! I love the Westchester idea. Much easier and less stressful commute for NJ guys.

Westchester is a great 2nd option after the city. It's an easy commute from the city, is centrally located for the NJ and Long Island folk (who don't have to drive through NYC to get there) and really easy for the Hudson Valley (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess) and CT people. Plenty to do there, awesome food, accessible highways, greedy politicians, etc., etc. Basically everything you need. Plus we can proudly call ourselves the NEW YORK Jets again.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

So, one of the books I have written turns into a global best seller - like, Harry Potter level - and I come into about 6 billion dollars.

I offer Woody $2 billion for the team, and promise I want nothing more than to have the Jets win.  

The first thing I do is institute my own rule that if I interfere with ANY of the day-to-day operations with the decision-making, I have members of this board meet me in the alley behind 1 Jets Way. 

Next, I do one of two things:

1) I give JD three more years.  IF he can get the Jets to the playoffs for two of them after this mess and ZERO input from me, I keep him around. If not, he goes.

2) I wipe the slate clean.  Nothing survives.  Not one coach.  I somehow either pry away one of the top GMs from another team or one of the top prospects for GM or one of the best guys sitting on the sideline.  We discuss offensive-minded coaches. We hire said offensive-minded coach who has experience (like say, Jim Harbaugh for instance). They hire OC/DC and full on coaching staff.  

I then rip out the artificial turf and hire the best landscaping crew to put in the best real turf there is.  I also hire the best medical staff I can.

That is what I will do.  So, when publication occurs, start buying books.  That is all. 

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Seriously interested in different perspectives to this less than enjoyable situation.

For my part.

1. Rogers :

Keep him off the field this year except for maybe a single series so he can say he did something impossible.

2. Cronies : Jettison the enterage.

That means Hackett, Cobb and Cook. Unfortunately the Jets insanely are married to Lazard for a few years.

3. Zach : Make him invisible and attempt trade or cut outright. Too much of a negative vibe to overcome and at this point .. pretty much an evil horecrux. Can't be on the team this off-season.

Really wanted this season to go as planned because the kid has talent ... But that went out the window on the fourth snap of the season.

4. Saleh : .I'd like to cut him immediately because I don't see it or feel it. The guy is likeable ... But seems like he is in over his head. That being said the rational thing to do I guess is to see what happens when Rodgers is healthy. One year prove it.

5. JD .. I understand the argument against JD ... Really ... But what I do like about him and his staff .. they don't run a clown show , act like adults, and keep business in house. I keep him .. possibly extend him. I know people say GM and HC are tied together ... I'm not so sure.

6. Mosely extend over 2 more season adjusting cap and salary.

7. Huff : 4 year extension

8: Lawson .. t ade cut

9. Greg the Leg .. Erect Statue.

Can’t argue with this too much.  They’re on the hook salary wise for Zach through next season.  While I still think he can be a good one he can sit on some other teams bench.  I think he can be traded for much more than a bucket of balls. Moseley?  They need his replacement before they launch him. Maybe Sherwood can come around. Maybe it’s suratt or someone else already on the team.  I’m okay with Hackett.  The ocs (except for milfy and schitty) get far too much blame. If Rodgers is there then Hackett stays.  Saleh?  He really needs to show he can get his team to stop it with the stupid penalties.  Except for huff let most of the free agents go.  I think I would try to keep Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Hall. Davis has been making some good plays and Hall seems to understand the system better.

Since this is what the owner should do the last thing is just let Douglas run the draft and free agency. With no interference.  I’m sure he knows where the holes are and I suspect he’ll be drafting oline, a wr, a qb and then the usual assortment of camp bodies and potentials.

Edited by rangerous

Can’t argue with this too much.  They’re on the hook salary wise for Zach through next season.  While I still think he can be a good one he can sit on some other teams bench.  I think he can be traded for much more than a bucket of balls. Moseley?  They need his replacement before they launch him. Maybe Sherwood can come around. Maybe it’s suratt or someone else already on the team.  I’m okay with Hackett.  The ocs (except for milfy and schitty) get far too much blame. If Rodgers is there then Hackett stays.  Saleh?  He really needs to show he can get his team to stop it with the stupid penalties.  Except for huff let most of the free agents go.  I think I would try to keep Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Hall. Davis has been making some good plays and Hall seems to understand the system better.
 Since this is what the owner should do the last thing is let Douglas run the draft and free agency.  I’m sure he knows where the holes are and I suspect he’ll be drafting oline, a wr, a qb and then the usual assortment of camp bodies and potentials.
Ashtyn has been one of the only bright spec in this horrid cesspool of a season... Alongside Greg the Leg. It's nice to see some development.

• Upvote 1

Realistic Scenario: 

Keep JD, and Saleh but make it clear changes need to be made to the offensive side of the ball (Rodgers can keep Hackett but they better produce...Downing, Carter and Calabrese should all go)

Draft a Tackle in RD 1, and a QB in the mid rounds. Sign a WR2 and another tackle in FA

Playoffs or bust in 24' ..........no playoffs, complete reset and wipe the slate clean 

Dream Scenario: 

Start Boyle the rest of the way and shoot for 4-13

Clean House

Convince Rodgers to retire 

Hire Harbaugh to become VP of Football Ops/Head Coach 

Draft a QB in round 1 with the intention of letting him sit a year. Sign a Vet like Brissett to start in 24'. Sell off older assets, keep the team young, and let Harbaugh and his FO build through the draft.... 

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Jets can opt out of Metlife's partnership as soon as 2025, giving the state 1 year notice. 

• Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Westchester is a great 2nd option after the city. It's an easy commute from the city, is centrally located for the NJ and Long Island folk (who don't have to drive through NYC to get there) and really easy for the Hudson Valley (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess) and CT people. Plenty to do there, awesome food, accessible highways, greedy politicians, etc., etc. Basically everything you need. Plus we can proudly call ourselves the NEW YORK Jets again.

Plus there’s even two airports nearby Stewart and White Plains

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Since this is what the owner should do the last thing is let Douglas run the draft and free agency.  I’m sure he knows where the holes are and I suspect he’ll be drafting oline, a wr, a qb and then the usual assortment of camp bodies and potentials.

just curious, if JD is not running the draft then who? Woody? Saleh? Rodgers?