QB room hypothetical

derp

First of all, the point of this question is not to question the Rodgers acquisition. Conversation for a different thread. More a mix of looking at the backup QB situation and curiosity for how much folks think QB play is the reason for team struggles this season.

That said - where are the Jets right now if the QB acquisitions this offseason were Brissett (signed 1/$8.5M) and Minshew (1/$3.5M)?

Those guys compete for starter vs. backup. Obviously Hackett isn’t the OC in this scenario so for ease say MLF sticks around - though if people have another OC in mind it doesn’t mess with the hypothetical too much. Zach Wilson is the 2022 fall guy in this scenario, he’s permanent QB3 for the season so he can reset. Siemian type acquisition of one of those two gets hurt.

Obviously not a championship level team, but with those guys is this team competitive enough on offense to be above .500 and instead of completely falling apart? Benefit of a little more draft capital too - extra second round pick last year and have one this year.

Best case is it sets the team up like the Bills before Allen and Chiefs before Mahomes. Build a winning program and then go and try to find a guy to develop and plug in. Worst case more like the Colts the last few years - I’m sure there are many other examples. Just curious what folks think available guys this past offseason with higher floors would’ve done here.

• Upvote 1

We have a case example of what this looks like already: Tannenbaum’s pursuit of Peyton Manning. They knew Sanchez stunk and were able to sell Woody on ponying up for a superstar QB, but when Manning wouldn’t pick up the phone, Tannenbaum didn’t turn around and sign a capable vet, he gave Sanchez a $50 mil extension instead. Woody thinks his QB is box office and won’t settle for a mid-tier transitional player. If it wasn’t Rodgers, it was going to be Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

55 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Well they both wouldn’t come here.  It’s that simple.  Minshew went to Indy cause it offered him a chance to start.  Not sure about brissett but I’m sure he felt the same way going to Washington, more of a chance to start.

In this hypothetical they are competing for the starting job here.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We have a case example of what this looks like already: Tannenbaum’s pursuit of Peyton Manning. They knew Sanchez stunk and were able to sell Woody on ponying up for a superstar QB, but when Manning wouldn’t pick up the phone, Tannenbaum didn’t turn around and sign a capable vet, he gave Sanchez a $50 mil extension instead. Woody thinks his QB is box office and won’t settle for a mid-tier transitional player. If it wasn’t Rodgers, it was going to be Zach Wilson. 

This was not the point of the question, sir. Simple question.

Doesn’t have to be based in reality. By nature of the question it kind of can’t be. You can pretend you’re running the scenario through a highly sophisticated simulator if that helps.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

9-8. LaFleur getting head coaching buzz. Seth Walder posted a few of his GPS dots clips showing Garrett Wilson running deep uncovered a bunch of times. 

I feel bad for Garrett.  He’s probably talent wise a top 3 or 4 WR in the NFL but he’s had nothing but incompetent qb play his entire career except for like 2 starts by Mike White

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I feel bad for Garrett.  He’s probably talent wise a top 3 or 4 WR in the NFL but he’s had nothing but incompetent qb play his entire career except for like 2 starts by Mike White
Meh he is a multi millionaire ... Sucks but is what it is.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, hawk said:

This certainly is not just about the QB, although, pretty huge reason.

Just aaverage offense and we are currently in the mix.

Once again, that stat I heard last week.

If the Jets produced an Offense that scored at the average level, right in the Middle of the NFL pack, they would have Won in the neighborhood of 26 games out of their preceding 30.

This team just will Never get it right on Offense and seem to have a penchant for ONLY hiring the most bottom feeding C*nt OC’s imaginable, whose IQ’s most likely don’t even hit Triple digits, the Hackett spawn might not even be 80.

Still don’t understand why they virtually Never let Zach Wilson actually “play His game” personally, what he showed on his BYU tape.  Let him throw 5 INT’s in a game, if you’re going to lose anyway go down with guns blazing, at the very least you wouldn’t see “8 in the box” EVERY play on Offense.  The frightened Jet OC’s transferred their fears to Wilson, who still would have been Terrible, but at least they should have let him go down swinging.

How many Bombs did they let Wilson throw in his career? Probably Under 10 haha (slight exaggeration).

FIRE HACKETT.  Actually miss LaFleur, who is doing a nice job with the Rams now.

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Qb depth chart 2024:

1. Rodgers

2. 1st round qb

As much as I can, and by April, will be on board with that...If its Joe, Hackett, and Saleh running the show, there is no way they use a first rounder on a qb.  They will be coaching and working for their jobs....A new regime? Sure, pick the QB you want to sit behind Rodgers for at least a year and go from there.

If it still is Joe, Hackett, and Saleh, then Woody needs to say a developmental qb needs to be taken in round 2 is we can get a pick there or round 3....Nix, or McCarthy, Ewers, whomever it is....take him and let him sit.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Rodgers
1st Rnd M Harrison

2ND round QB after trading up (JJ McCarthy ?)

3rd Rnd OL

4TH 3rd String QB to compete but not expected to challenge ala RG3 and Cousins

5th OL

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If the Jets take a QB this draft it better be Daniels.

• Upvote 1

I think we need to re-evaluate how we historically setup the QB room (no competition). I think the smartest and safest bet is to do what we haven't done in over 20 years:

• Have a good vet as the starter
  • Have a high round draft pick being groomed for a year or two

Last time we did that with Vinny and Chad, it worked, then failed due to injuries...but the process worked. Everything we have done since Favre quit on us has been: 

• Draft Sanchez (no real competition + start Day 1)
  • Draft Geno (no real competition + start Day 1)
  • Roll with a a clearly flawed Fitzpatrick after a miracle season (no real competition)
  • Draft Darnold (actually have vet on roster in McCown who could maybe hold the fort for a bit, but no start Darnold Day 1)
  • McCown gone (no real back up or competition for Darnold)
  • Draft Zach Wilson (no competition or vet)

It SHOULD BE simple. We have a good chance of being in position to draft a QB in the 1st round this year. 

We have a vet QB in Rodgers that is most likely playing 1 or 2 more years. Draft his eventual replacement and let him sit and learn. 

For the folks that say "THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE WE HAVE A SB WINDOW AND WE NEED IMPACT PLAYERS NOW" ... let me tell you something....if NOT drafting an OT in the 1st round precludes of from winning a SB, then we aren't winning one anyway with Rodgers. If Rodgers is the guy we thought he was (Dennis Green gif please) when we traded for him, then signing OL + WR help and drafting the rest from round 3 on should be enough for us to compete...or else why even trade for AR8? If the roster has to be PERFECT for him to succeed then you go over Brock Purdy...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, derp said:

First of all, the point of this question is not to question the Rodgers acquisition. Conversation for a different thread. More a mix of looking at the backup QB situation and curiosity for how much folks think QB play is the reason for team struggles this season.

That said - where are the Jets right now if the QB acquisitions this offseason were Brissett (signed 1/$8.5M) and Minshew (1/$3.5M)?

Those guys compete for starter vs. backup. Obviously Hackett isn’t the OC in this scenario so for ease say MLF sticks around - though if people have another OC in mind it doesn’t mess with the hypothetical too much. Zach Wilson is the 2022 fall guy in this scenario, he’s permanent QB3 for the season so he can reset. Siemian type acquisition of one of those two gets hurt.

Obviously not a championship level team, but with those guys is this team competitive enough on offense to be above .500 and instead of completely falling apart? Benefit of a little more draft capital too - extra second round pick last year and have one this year.

Best case is it sets the team up like the Bills before Allen and Chiefs before Mahomes. Build a winning program and then go and try to find a guy to develop and plug in. Worst case more like the Colts the last few years - I’m sure there are many other examples. Just curious what folks think available guys this past offseason with higher floors would’ve done here.

I don’t think they would have done much if you’re keeping the same injuries and mistakes/penalties across the board. 

Optimist in me would say they would’ve been able to squeak out a couple more wins but I don’t think it would have us leading the division or anything. 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Once again, that stat I heard last week.

If the Jets produced an Offense that scored at the average level, right in the Middle of the NFL pack, they would have Won in the neighborhood of 26 games out of their preceding 30.

This team just will Never get it right on Offense and seem to have a penchant for ONLY hiring the most bottom feeding C*nt OC’s imaginable, whose IQ’s most likely don’t even hit Triple digits, the Hackett spawn might not even be 80.

Still don’t understand why they virtually Never let Zach Wilson actually “play His game” personally, what he showed on his BYU tape.  Let him throw 5 INT’s in a game, if you’re going to lose anyway go down with guns blazing, at the very least you wouldn’t see “8 in the box” EVERY play on Offense.  The frightened Jet OC’s transferred their fears to Wilson, who still would have been Terrible, but at least they should have let him go down swinging.

How many Bombs did they let Wilson throw in his career? Probably Under 10 haha (slight exaggeration).

FIRE HACKETT.  Actually miss LaFleur, who is doing a nice job with the Rams now.

Also said it wasn't all QB, and I agree.  Play to a players strength.  Pigeon holing Wilson was not.

We scored 8 points 2 of which was from the defense.  Just average offense wins the game.  True or false?

In a direct answer to OP, the team is better off with either of the QBs above, but what difference would it have are if they didn't fit the SYSTEM.

That said, the QBs are missing open receivers, are late with timing and mostly inaccurate when they do. 

When was the last time we saw a throw like Siemian made down the side line to Garrett Wilson, who was ultimately out if bounds but the throw was a great NFL throw.  (Not advocating anything).  Based on Reeds penalty should have been a penalty also.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes 

Also introduce him to Jalen Hurts and force Hurts to take him under his wing as a power lifter that should bulk him up.

A perfect example of how great organizations operate. Eagles had Wentz who had not fallen off a cliff yet.

Drafted Hurts and let him sit and learn and now look at him....

The old saying of "draft a QB until you find one" should be updated to "draft a QB until you find one....then draft more until you find another"

It's the most important position in all of sports and what small-minded organizations don't get is....if you have two good QBs on your roster you have negotiating currency in platinum, gold, and silver. Teams will give an arm and a leg for a good QB.

Every team should be trying to make their QB room as strong as possible. Injuries happen and with the updated concussion protocols you need two good QBs on your team every year.

• Upvote 4