4 of 7 AFC playoff teams with backup QBs

kevinc855

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If Trevor Lawrence who had a bad injury last night on that “metlife turf” 🙄 cant start Sunday 4 of 7 current playoff teams in the AFC will be playing their backup QB. 

That is why I’m not having the Jet organization or fan excuse of well Rodgers went down 🤷. Other backups and good coaches can still manage to have success and win games. I mean Jake Browning for goodness sake looked competent yesterday. 

Something is off with this organization. From the way they handled not getting a backup in the offseason or early in the year. Something is off with coaching and play calling that they can get nothing, zip of production from their backups when other teams can.

This is why I’m starting to lean into the “clean house” camp. 

Jets suck point taken 

but Lawrence getting hurt in week 13 and the jags possibly still making the playoffs with a back up is not the same as losing your starting QB 4 plays into the season

Again jets suck, terrible qb room, terrible reaction to rodgers injury even knowing the backup qbs were terrible. 

Dont need any comparison really to just flat out say jets suck top to bottom 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If Trevor Lawrence who had a bad injury last night on that “metlife turf” 🙄 cant start Sunday 4 of 7 current playoff teams in the AFC will be playing their backup QB. 

That is why I’m not having the Jet organization or fan excuse of well Rodgers went down 🤷. Other backups and good coaches can still manage to have success and win games. I mean Jake Browning for goodness sake looked competent yesterday. 

Something is off with this organization. From the way they handled not getting a backup in the offseason or early in the year. Something is off with coaching and play calling that they can get nothing, zip of production from their backups when other teams can.

It's the OL. The amount of injuries we have had to that one unit is mind-boggling. What's  worse is this unit has not been healthy at all since JD got here. 

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The common dominator = Woody Dingleberry. 

AR8 has held the org. hostage with the "I'll be back this year."  No way they were going to bring in a viable back-up/starter.  They have done everything to make him happy and not upset him.  What would happen if we were in the playoff hunt with a QB that is winning games for us ... then make a switch to AR8 late in the season and we fell apart because he wasn't 100%.  No way this front office was going to put AR8, a HOF QB,  in that position and/or potentially throw mud in his face.  They were hoping that ZW would play well enough to win about 50% of the games with our defense... just enough to keep us alive, then there is no real issue making the switch back to AR8 with that scenario.  

EDIT: Then again not sure any other QB can operate effectively in this offensive scheme.  

Hackett is not great by any means but there are definitely open receivers out there and plays to be made. This goes for all the QB that have been out there. Back-up QB needs to be considered one of the most important positions on the team. Of course the back up is not supposed to be a pro-bowler but he has to at the very least be able to run a functional offense. Zach was non-functional by the end of last season and I agree he should have been #3 qb. Boyle and Semien do not belong in the NFL they are non-functional. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It's the OL. The amount of injuries we have had to that one unit is mind-boggling. What's  worse is this unit has not been healthy at all since JD got here. 

I may be mistaken but I'm sure I heard during the Miami Black Friday game that the Phish were playing 3 backups on their OL. Granted we were probably playing 3 third-stringers, never mind backups, but other teams do seem to cope better with injuries than we do, whether on OL, QB or elsewhere.

Cincy played their "who dat" backup last night and he went 32 of 37 for 354 yards and 1 TD in a victory. He was 10 of 10 on passes of over 10 air yards. And he is only the 10th player in the Superbowl era to go 350+ yards while still completing 85%+ of passes. That's not just lucking into a great QB - that's putting a guy in a position to succeed. Let's not forget - the Bengals kept Browning instead of the more experienced vet QB (Siemian) who would have been seen as the safer option. Based on this week's outcomes, that is looking like a pretty astute decision.

Heck, even Grandpa Joe Flacco put up a better show than any of our guys this year having been on his couch until just last week. 254 yards, 2 TDs, 19 points ... that would be considered "an explosion" for our current offense.

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Hackett is not great by any means but there are definitely open receivers out there and plays to be made. This goes for all the QB that have been out there. Back-up QB needs to be considered one of the most important positions on the team. Of course the back up is not supposed to be a pro-bowler but he has at the very least be able to run a functional offense. Zach was non-functional by the end of last season and I agree he should have been #3 qb. Boyle and Semien do not belong in the NFL they are non-functional. 

What bugs me is - why are all three of our QBs clueless as to where these wide open receivers are on all these plays? Why haven't the coaching staff been able to do something to help those QBs find these guys? Coaching is as much about putting players in a position to succeed - we seem to struggle at doing this. Not just this year either, or with this group of QBs, it feels like it's a perennial problem for us.

8 minutes ago, jamesr said:

What bugs me is - why are all three of our QBs clueless as to where these wide open receivers are on all these plays? Why haven't the coaching staff been able to do something to help those QBs find these guys? Coaching is as much about putting players in a position to succeed - we seem to struggle at doing this. Not just this year either, or with this group of QBs, it feels like it's a perennial problem for us.

Coaching definitely shares the blame. Pro Personnel and scouting are to blame too. They are not bringing in players who can process at the NFL level. Wilson is a bust, poor scouting. Boyle sucked in college and in the NFL, he was only brought on because he is friends with A-rod, should be practice squad at BEST. Simien is washed up, immobile, and has no pocket awareness. Cinci cut him over the summer and he was sittng at home until the Jets called him. Garbage all around.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

to be fair, in the AFC:

Lawrence got hurt week 13 (this week)

Pickett got hurt in week 13 (this week)

Indy probably has the best backup in the league (maybe?)

Cleveland’s starter was very meh and wasn’t  playing much better than their backups (6.5 yards/attempt) 

They aren’t quite in the playoffs, but Burrow got hurt in week 11 (2 weeks ago)

the other guys currently in are Tua, Lamar, and Mahomes and the other guys just outside of the playoffs as of today are Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, and CJ Stroud. 

so, 7 of the 10 teams currently in serious playoff contention had very good starting QBs still playing entering week 13. 

Having said all of that: Have the Jets done a terrible job? Yes. 

Yeah, the OP did a bad job of analysis there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

That is why I’m not having the JetYo organization or fan excuse of well Rodgers went down 🤷. Other backups and good coaches can still manage to have success and win games. I mean Jake Browning for goodness sake looked competent yesterday. 

They have been cleaning house since 2016. It is not going to help.

There is no hope. Another 1st year coach will be brought in. Another QB will be drafted, they will both suck. 

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

SOJ Forever

Just now, shawn306 said:

One other thing. IT is not about the QB. It is about the OL protecting the QB. Sorry I just flat out don't believe that Gardner Mishew or josh Hobbs wiould have this team in playoff contention with the OL playing the way it is right now.

Why do some of you struggle so hard to admit a good QB is good and a bad QB is bad?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why do some of you struggle so hard to admit a good QB is good and a bad QB is bad?  

I have no issue with saying a QB is bad. I think we all knew the OL was going to be a major question mark even if healthy. Now the can't block anyone. 

If you want to believe that guys like Minshew or Dobbs would have success and have this team in playoff contention I guess that is your right. 

To me it always starts inside out. OL and DL. They did a great job with the DL they have been absolutely abysmal on getting OL talent, and the one's they have gotten never stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And one of them (Jake Browning) threw for over 350 yds last night.  Another (Minshew) had 300+ and 2 TDs in an OT win.

Meanwhile we get Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle.

F**k you Woody/JD.

And Jake's OL hasn't missed a game this year. When you talk about the Bengals OL they talk about missing snaps not games or seasons. They may not be great but the at least have some cohesion. 

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

I may be mistaken but I'm sure I heard during the Miami Black Friday game that the Phish were playing 3 backups on their OL. Granted we were probably playing 3 third-stringers, never mind backups, but other teams do seem to cope better with injuries than we do, whether on OL, QB or elsewhere.

Cincy played their "who dat" backup last night and he went 32 of 37 for 354 yards and 1 TD in a victory. He was 10 of 10 on passes of over 10 air yards. And he is only the 10th player in the Superbowl era to go 350+ yards while still completing 85%+ of passes. That's not just lucking into a great QB - that's putting a guy in a position to succeed. Let's not forget - the Bengals kept Browning instead of the more experienced vet QB (Siemian) who would have been seen as the safer option. Based on this week's outcomes, that is looking like a pretty astute decision.

Heck, even Grandpa Joe Flacco put up a better show than any of our guys this year having been on his couch until just last week. 254 yards, 2 TDs, 19 points ... that would be considered "an explosion" for our current offense.

Zac Taylor vs Bob Saleh and Nate Hackett

is what it really all boils down to

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

And Jake's OL hasn't missed a game this year. When you talk about the Bengals OL they talk about missing snaps not games or seasons. They may not be great but the at least have some cohesion. 

Biggest issue with the OL is the insane rash of injuries for three straight years 

• Upvote 1