Zach Wilson is Back; QB Named Starter or Rest of Year

JetNation

Zach-Wilson-grin.jpg

It may not be the news many Jets fans wanted to hear, but Zach Wilson is back.  That’s right, Jets head coach Robert Saleh met with the media today and announced that Zach Wilson will be the team’s starter for this Sunday through the rest of the year.  With the rest of the year of course depending on Wilson staying healthy.

Coach Saleh announces QB Zach Wilson will start Sunday vs. Houston pic.twitter.com/xKgvQukgMO

— New York Jets (@nyjets) December 6, 2023

Benched because of a sputtering offense just a few weeks ago, replacements Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian looked no better than Wilson, and in some cases much worse.  While Wilson couldn’t get the Jets in the end zone, he was protecting the football in throwing two interceptions over his past five starts.  Meanwhile, Boyle threw twice that number (and had several dropped) in just two and a half games.

Robert Saleh shot down rumors that Wilson was reluctant to take the starting job back.  Saleh said he met with Wilson yesterday and the signal caller wanted the ball.  And now he’s got it.  What could that mean?

The most likely scenario is that it means little to nothing and the Jets once again fail to find the end zone with Wilson under center.  However, it’s worth nothing that the Jets pass blocking looked better last week with Boyle under center than it did for most of this season.  If Wilson comes back with a “let it rip” mind set and the pass pro holds up again, perhaps he’s got a big play or two in that right arm of his.

Saleh also added that recently signed quarterback Brett Rypien will be the emergency QB behind Wilson and Trevor Siemian.

The post Zach Wilson is Back; QB Named Starter or Rest of Year appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

If he's terrible they'll bench him again and probably start Ryp. Ryp might get a start anyways the Jets like him as a player and might decide to keep him around. IMO a good decision to start him. He had time off and basically no Jets Qb has been able to run this offense. The one guy who could have got injured 4th play of the season. Saleh said in his presser he's always believed ZW is the best Qb on the team (except for AR). 

8 minutes ago, Hex said:

Did I miss the rest of the season confirmation? I just saw starting vs HOU.

Saleh was asked in the press conference if Zach was the starter for the rest of the year and he responded with “god willing.” 

the follow up question was something like “do you mean notwithstanding injury?” And Saleh said yes. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone thought he would never play another down for the Jets knew he would get to start again I'm predicting he will be here next year and get a 2 year extension worth 24 million. The Jets take Alt in next years draft. Zach will be here until Rogers retires then if he sinks after that they will cut him.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I kind of doubt that. This Jets offense is a job killer, it just probably got one Qb fired. AR is out for the year. Zach is fini after this season. Two Qbs who might survive are Rodgers and Rypien. And then they'll probably draft someone. Look under Hackett last year Russell Wilson had a terrible year. And now with Payton this Wilson is having a rebound type of season. 

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Zach-Wilson-grin.jpg

It may not be the news many Jets fans wanted to hear, but Zach Wilson is back.  That’s right, Jets head coach Robert Saleh met with the media today and announced that Zach Wilson will be the team’s starter for this Sunday through the rest of the year.  With the rest of the year of course depending on Wilson staying healthy.

Coach Saleh announces QB Zach Wilson will start Sunday vs. Houston pic.twitter.com/xKgvQukgMO

— New York Jets (@nyjets) December 6, 2023

Benched because of a sputtering offense just a few weeks ago, replacements Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian looked no better than Wilson, and in some cases much worse.  While Wilson couldn’t get the Jets in the end zone, he was protecting the football in throwing two interceptions over his past five starts.  Meanwhile, Boyle threw twice that number (and had several dropped) in just two and a half games.

Robert Saleh shot down rumors that Wilson was reluctant to take the starting job back.  Saleh said he met with Wilson yesterday and the signal caller wanted the ball.  And now he’s got it.  What could that mean?

The most likely scenario is that it means little to nothing and the Jets once again fail to find the end zone with Wilson under center.  However, it’s worth nothing that the Jets pass blocking looked better last week with Boyle under center than it did for most of this season.  If Wilson comes back with a “let it rip” mind set and the pass pro holds up again, perhaps he’s got a big play or two in that right arm of his.

Saleh also added that recently signed quarterback Brett Rypien will be the emergency QB behind Wilson and Trevor Siemian.

The post Zach Wilson is Back; QB Named Starter or Rest of Year appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

this is just crazy, man i didn't think it was possible but im embarrassed by this team at this point. it is one thing to lose, another to not be competitive, hell i can deal with that, but then you bench and rebench zach with not accountability to hackett, it just seems so stupid, how the hell we supposed to root for zach, after you guys led us to believe he was the problem, But no turns out he is not the problem. 

Jesus christ obvious to everyone watching the games, the worst play caller in the history of the NFL is the problem. 

Man unlike sam darbold and all the other scrubs we have had, zach actually looks like he can play with decent play calling. I mean he still sucks but if you do simple 1 2 reads he can handle it. You can build a winning game plan with that. Hackett can't but every other damn team in the NFL has done it.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, St Louie Jet Fan said:

What the hell was the point of benching him again? To bring him back, AGAIN!  Did they feel the need to prove fans wrong? If it was to prove to themselves 1000% Zach wasnt the smelliest turd in the pile, they are not competent.

Yup.  It just reeks of Staircase Bob being weak.

Afraid to stand up the media, fan base and his team. 

He's not HC material.  Probably a good rah-rah DC type, but he just wants to be liked too much to be a good HC.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.  It just reeks of Staircase Bob being weak.

Afraid to stand up the media, fan base and his team. 

He's not HC material.  Probably a good rah-rah DC type, but he just wants to be liked too much to be a good HC.  

I dont think it was his call to bench him at all. i think that was woody. Not actual intel on that, but even if that is the case and I am right that doesnt make it any better, the HC being told who to play as QB. That is terrible.

Saleh has not been able to get wins, he has the worst off in the league, possibly ever. I mean i know it is hacketts fault but saleh didnt fire him. The damn bills won game and fired theres. 

I thought he was safe and maybe he is but if I am Joe Douglas Im not srue i can rationalize this non competitive team. I mean we cant even get a first down. plenty of team have few play makers, less that us, and yet they can move the ball and score points.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I dont think it was his call to bench him at all. i think that was woody. Not actual intel on that, but even if that is the case and I am right that doesnt make it any better, the HC being told who to play as QB. That is terrible.

Saleh has not been able to get wins, he has the worst off in the league, possibly ever. I mean i know it is hacketts fault but saleh didnt fire him. The damn bills won game and fired theres. 

I thought he was safe and maybe he is but if I am Joe Douglas Im not srue i can rationalize this non competitive team. I mean we cant even get a first down. plenty of team have few play makers, less that us, and yet they can move the ball and score points.

Its "almost" like the offense is doing it on purpose...how the actual hell could even the very worst pro athletes put on such a shizz performance for this many weeks?

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Watching his interview that comment jumped out after explaining his need to trust and not worry if the D makes a good play. He smiled while saying it which told me no more playing to not make mistakes. Win or lose he's going to be playing HIS game, hope he does well...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

this is just crazy, man i didn't think it was possible but im embarrassed by this team at this point. it is one thing to lose, another to not be competitive, hell i can deal with that, but then you bench and rebench zach with not accountability to hackett, it just seems so stupid, how the hell we supposed to root for zach, after you guys led us to believe he was the problem, But no turns out he is not the problem. 

Jesus christ obvious to everyone watching the games, the worst play caller in the history of the NFL is the problem. 

Man unlike sam darbold and all the other scrubs we have had, zach actually looks like he can play with decent play calling. I mean he still sucks but if you do simple 1 2 reads he can handle it. You can build a winning game plan with that. Hackett can't but every other damn team in the NFL has done it.

Zach had Lefleur fired for gods sakes lol. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh was asked in the press conference if Zach was the starter for the rest of the year and he responded with “god willing.” 

the follow up question was something like “do you mean notwithstanding injury?” And Saleh said yes. 

Means he'll be benched in a game and a half for Rypien

• Haha 1

Just now, Smashmouth said:

If this, If that;;;;;; WHAT IN THE **** is wrong with this god damn team ?????"? I can't deal with this sh*thead organization for another minute . 

I'm already bounced, 50 years of this sh*t and THIS IS WAY BEYOND A STRAW BREAKING THE CAMELS BACK. 

This is insane. I can't believe the NFL is letting this--- this--- I don't even have the word for it--- to go on. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

At this poijnt they're all ******* idiots so who the **** even cares anymore ... Lots of football fans where I work they all are pretty much laughing and have been laughing for quite a while . No matter who is at fault for this ******* stupidity they are all in the end ...... ******* stupid