Has The Fanbase Ever Been More Unified in Their Disgust of the Coach and GM?

Gen X Jet

The only other situation i can think of was the end of Macagnon and Gase.  There were fans willing to give Idzik another shot after he tore it down (the plane guys were a loud minority), there were Bowles defenders to the end, Rex defenders to the end.  I think we all know this ends terribly if they keep 0-12 Saleh in December and Joe "I caught the Philly wave" Douglas when the Jets go 9-8 next year and finish off the season 1-4.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

There are still people defending JD and trying to pretend he's not a completely incompetent buffoon, so probably yes, there has been.

Although it's actually pretty much a replay of the Maccagnan/Bowles disaster, as there were a number of people around here in support of Mac being kept and Bowles ejected, which was beyond idiotic.

The funny thing is the combo Bradway/Herm move was probably more universally supported than any since then, and yet they were only a year removed from a playoff season.  Oh, how times change, huh? (Although don't get me wrong, they both certainly deserved it.)

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I've never seen a GM and coach as bulletproof as these two.

But we're at the end stage.  We will look as fondly at this regime as we do Mac/Gase.

Meh, it's Saleh's third year and he's had everyone up his ass since the moments thing started to hiccup this season.  I'm not saying it isn't deserved, but that's far from bulletproof, and is pretty much on par with the timelines of heat gotten by most unsuccessful coaches that don't have a Hackett-like colossal failure.

JD on the other hand, has 5 years of continuous incompetence with 2 different coaching staffs, and yet to this day he only gets a small fragment of the flack for being just as bad, if not worse, for longer.  He was inexplicably put up on a pedestal that was never deserved in the first place, so is about as bulletproof as you can get considering it took this long just to just get be pulled down to finally getting a little bit of blame, while being horrific at the team's most important job for longer than anyone else.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

IMO this is what happens when a GM loses sight of the grand plan because he is overly influenced by illusions of instant success peddled by a clueless HC and owner.

JD should have had a press conference at the end of last season and 1) accepted the loss on Wilson explaining that failure for these top of the draft QBs is the rule, not the exception; 2) explained that the Jets have a great young core of players; 3) that the plan is to continue to build through the draft; 4) that they will look to sign a veteran QB with some starting experience who can competently run an offense thereby affording the other players on offense the opportunity to develop and grow in a system; 5) that in forthcoming drafts they will seek to find a QB they believe can be their starting QB after sitting on the bench and learning for a couple of seasons and then being plugged in to a fully developed offense; 6) that he has met with Coach Saleh and they agree on the need to hire an OC with a track record of success and innovation and if they find the right guy Woody plans on making him the highest paid OC in the game.

Tragically, JD did the opposite in all respects. This was his George Costanza season. I’m willing to give him a mulligan. What I wrote above needs to be the plan going forward with Rodgers as a too expensive option as the veteran QB, and because Rodgers cost us draft picks, Tee Higgins should be a prime affordable Free Agent target for WR#2 since the first round pick must be an OT. You can’t have a functioning offense unless the o line can open holes for RBs and protect the QB and first round OT, AVT, Tippman, Mcgovern and Becton would be, by a long shot the best O line the jets have had in years.

As to Saleh, I am hopeful he has enough self awareness to spend this offseason concentrating on Offensive football with the intent to know offense so well that he could be an OC. If not, I am done with him.

• Upvote 2

I think we’re always on the same page when wanting to fire our coach and or gm because they usually suck. Tuna retired so he doesn’t count and BB quit before he started, but exceptions when we were split

• Pete Carrol. I think majority liked him but there 94 collapse was tough because we had the division in sight
  • Mangini I think was a 50/50 split not because he was so great, I think most thought he deserved another year + Favre’s injury really derailed the season not Mangini
  • Coslett’s firing was kind of surprising but no one was shedding tears

Other than that I think majority has been in the same page.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Meh, it's Saleh's third year and he's had everyone up his ass since the moments thing started to hiccup this season.  I'm not saying it isn't deserved, but that's far from bulletproof, and is pretty much on par with the timelines of heat gotten by most unsuccessful coaches that don't have a Hackett-like colossal failure.

JD on the other hand, has 5 years of continuous incompetence with 2 different coaching staffs, and yet to this day he only gets a small fragment of the flack for being just as bad, if not worse, for longer.  He was inexplicably put up on a pedestal that was never deserved in the first place, so is about as bulletproof as you can get considering it took this long just to just get be pulled down to finally getting a little bit of blame, while being horrific at the team's most important job for longer than anyone else.

Agreed. Saleh didn’t choose the complete mess that was built on offense. Joe Douglas the proud architect of the worst offense in NFL history. Every team has injuries. Our 2nd and 3rd best players on O haven’t missed a game. If the D was bad sure Saleh can be blamed. JD was supposed to the O guru, Oline especially. Definitely false advertising. JD gets to hide behind saleh’s painful pressers. Which is why he gets the criticism. The doughnut boy should be standing up there explaining why O is this bad.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think we’re always on the same page when wanting to fire our coach and or gm because they usually suck. Tuna retired so he doesn’t count and BB quit before he started, but exceptions when we were split

• Pete Carrol. I think majority liked him but there 94 collapse was tough because we had the division in sight
  • Mangini I think was a 50/50 split not because he was so great, I think most thought he deserved another year + Favre’s injury really derailed the season not Mangini
  • Coslett’s firing was kind of surprising but no one was shedding tears

Other than that I think majority has been in the same page.

I still am upset we didn't stick with The Mangenius for a longer time.  And I still would want him to have a place in this organization (maybe in the FO somewhere).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I don't think the fanbase is united at all. All I hear and read is

-I feel bad for Saleh. If he had a real QB..

-Saleh can really coach a defense.

-Douglas has been good. He just made a mistake this season.

-Douglas is handcuffed by Rodgers.

Saleh can coach a defense and that's what his job should be.  He's a DC, not a HC.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still am upset we didn't stick with The Mangenius for a longer time.  And I still would want him to have a place in this organization (maybe in the FO somewhere).

Oddly enough his greatest talent was player scouting / being a GM…NOT coaching them. A real shame of someone not knowing their strengths and flaws.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

The only other situation i can think of was the end of Macagnon and Gase.  There were fans willing to give Idzik another shot after he tore it down (the plane guys were a loud minority), there were Bowles defenders to the end, Rex defenders to the end.  I think we all know this ends terribly if they keep 0-12 Saleh in December and Joe "I caught the Philly wave" Douglas when the Jets go 9-8 next year and finish off the season 1-4.

In all my years of watching the Jets this isn’t even close to being the highest level of disgust for the HC and GM. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO this is what happens when a GM loses sight of the grand plan because he is overly influenced by illusions of instant success peddled by a clueless HC and owner.

JD should have had a press conference at the end of last season and 1) accepted the loss on Wilson explaining that failure for these top of the draft QBs is the rule, not the exception; 2) explained that the Jets have a great young core of players; 3) that the plan is to continue to build through the draft; 4) that they will look to sign a veteran QB with some starting experience who can competently run an offense thereby affording the other players on offense the opportunity to develop and grow in a system; 5) that in forthcoming drafts they will seek to find a QB they believe can be their starting QB after sitting on the bench and learning for a couple of seasons and then being plugged in to a fully developed offense; 6) that he has met with Coach Saleh and they agree on the need to hire an OC with a track record of success and innovation and if they find the right guy Woody plans on making him the highest paid OC in the game.

Tragically, JD did the opposite in all respects. This was his George Costanza season. I’m willing to give him a mulligan. What I wrote above needs to be the plan going forward with Rodgers as a too expensive option as the veteran QB, and because Rodgers cost us draft picks, Tee Higgins should be a prime affordable Free Agent target for WR#2 since the first round pick must be an OT. You can’t have a functioning offense unless the o line can open holes for RBs and protect the QB and first round OT, AVT, Tippman, Mcgovern and Becton would be, by a long shot the best O line the jets have had in years.

As to Saleh, I am hopeful he has enough self awareness to spend this offseason concentrating on Offensive football with the intent to know offense so well that he could be an OC. If not, I am done with him.

Okay, he didn’t have a press conference.  But he did bring in a vet (albeit a costly one) to replace Zach, I believe his plan is to build through the draft, what qb is more competent than Rodgers, and it’s quite possible (still) that Zach can be an effective qb, and he did an experienced offensive coordinator. 

The key to what you saying is a fully developed team.  I totally agree with that concept and it was foolish to think Zach could be plugged in and off they would go.  He needed to sit for a season or two and they needed a vet qb who could show Zach the nuances of the game.  I’m not into the whole mentorship thing but even so, players can learn just by watching so he didn’t need a qb to be a hand holder.  This jets team, particularly the offense, is missing any sense of leadership.  Hopefully Rodgers can turn this around.

• Upvote 1

In August, you all loved douglas and Saleh and were talking Super Bowl.  QB gets hurt and its fire everyone.

You guys will whine for the next few months, then we will kill the draft, sign some big time free agents, Rogers will return and you will be talking super bowl again come August.

Jet fans………….

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In August, you all loved douglas and Saleh and were talking Super Bowl.  QB gets hurt and its fire everyone.

You guys will whine for the next few months, then we will kill the draft, sign some big time free agents, Rogers will return and you will be talking super bowl again come August.

Jet fans………….

How many drafts had JD killed?