Jump to content

Horrible stuff


Recommended Posts

This is a trial that has been going on for about a week now. I actually went to school with most of these guys. That being said they were all retarded or boarderline retarded. I'm suprised that this case has never grabbed national headline though. It is one of the most disgusting crimes I have ever heard of. They all deserve life in prison if not the chair. There are more stories about the trial and such if you follow the link and go to the bottom of the page. Really sad stuff. If you read the comments though everyone is ready to hang these guys and rightfully so. However, even though I feel sad for the mother who is paying the ultimate price. This is far from a good lesson in parenting.


Apr 13 2006 8:11 AM

Maryann begged 'everybody to stop'

Witness recalls dread of confronting murder victim's mother


WATERBURY – It was mid-October of 1997 when the eight friends decided to do harm to 13-year-old Maryann Measles, said one of the people who was in on the plan.

On Wednesday, Maggie Bennett testified she and the others plotted to beat up the New Milford girl so she would drop her claims of statutory rape against several of the males in the group.

"There was a plan to beat her up to make her not speak to police," said Bennett, 27, wearing a yellow prison jumpsuit, her hair pulled back into a ponytail.

But in addition to being beaten, Measles was raped repeatedly in Bennett's van on River Road in New Milford on Oct. 19, 1997, and then held under water until she died.

In 2002, the five young men and three women who hung out together – and for a short time befriended Measles – were arrested and charged with her killing. Six of them, including Bennett, have pleaded guilty.

Keith Foster is the first to go to trial. The second week of testimony in Waterbury Superior Court wraps up today.

On Wednesday, Bennett spoke about how the planned beating of Measles turned into something far worse.

Bennett said she had been dating A.J. Walter and was angry that Maryann Measles was sleeping with him. Measles also had sexual encounters with Foster, witnesses have said. on error resume next plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3")))if ( plugin

The group was upset that Maryann and her mother, Cindi Measles, went to New Milford police several times to make a statutory rape complaint against Foster and Walter.

Bennett said on Oct. 19 two of the males picked up Measles in the parking lot of a New Milford supermarket and drove her to a secluded spot on River Road.

There, one of the women, Dorothy Hallas, started hitting Measles, "calling her a liar, calling her a b––, saying the guys never raped her," Bennett said. Measles was "crying," and "begging everybody to stop," Bennett said.

Foster asked Bennett to open her van, and she originally said no. But Bennett said she relented when Foster began yelling. She testified that Jeffrey Boyette, Deaneric Dupas and Walter pushed Measles into the back of the van.

Although Bennett was standing outside, she said she could see Walter having sex with Measles. Boyette and Foster also took turns, Bennett said. Measles "was crying," Bennett said. "She was trying to break loose from when they were holding her."

Asked by prosecutor David Shepack if she was "on board in terms of a plan for the rape," Bennett said she was not.

Bennett also testified she wasn't aware that Measles was going to be killed. After the rape, Bennett said, Walter and Dupas grabbed her and dragged her down to the water.

"Foster (was) standing with me and the rest of them," Bennett said.

Prosecutors have been trying to determine if Foster took part in the drowning.

Bennett said Dupas and Walter forced the teen to her knees and held her head under water for five minutes.

"She's trying to struggle, but they're both a lot bigger than her," she said.

Bennett said Measles was coughing the first time the men yanked her head up.

"At one point, when Dean(eric) picked her up, she wasn't coughing anymore," Bennett said. "Keith (Foster) yelled down and asked if she was dead yet."

When they saw Measles floating, they started laughing, Bennett testified.

After Wednesday's testimony, lawyer Vicki Hutchinson said Bennett was "relieved that she finally came in and confronted Maryann's mother and told the truth about what happened.

"Maggie told me she was trying hard not to look at Cindi (Measles). She was very aware Cindi was very emotional," Hutchinson said.

Foster claims he was not at the murder scene. His lawyer asked Bennett about comments she made to her family members. She originally told them she, too, wasn't at the scene but was going to plead guilty and testify against the others to reduce her prison sentence.

"Do you remember telling them this was my chance to get less than 20 years?" defense lawyer Don O'Brien asked.

"Yes," Bennett replied.

Bennett said she lied to her family so they wouldn't think so poorly of her. As a result of her deal with prosecutors, she faces 15 to 20 years in prison. She'll be sentenced when all the other cases are completed.

Contact Karen Ali

at kali@newstimes.com

or at (203) 731-3341.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...