With the recent messes, is it still still possible saleh gets fired?

Next year is a throw away year —— I’m not sure if they believe own BS that it’s all Rodgers getting hurt and really think they’ll be good next year - or if it’s taking one last paycheck before getting canned.

Next year is a wasted season and essentially wasting the year after as well.  As they’ll be playing a rookie QB.

A good organization would draft a QB at 10 and let him sit for a year.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Something went on in the NFL this year.  I suspect was definitely a push for teams to hire diversity candidates to the extent that they have never done so.   There also appears to be an aversion to hiring old grumpy guys.

• Commanders-I think Quinn is installing a 4-3 defense and adding some culture and toughness.  He will be replaced by an offensive coach when they find a QB.
  • Patriots-the BB way was already puttering out.  I don’t see Mayo making a difference here.   That spot could be opening up, but it will be at least 2 years.
  • Falcons-Do we think Raheem is long for that job?
  • Panthers-this guy with Bryce Young is not lasting, but I think it will be hard to find HCs to work for Tepper…unless they want to live in Charlotte. 
  • Seahawks-Comes from good Ravens pedigree, but so did JD.   The track record on DCs to first time HC is….terrible.  
  • Titans-I actually think Callahan can pull off some success if Carthon gets him players. 
  • Raiders-I also think Pierce is going to do ok.   He can motivate the players and has good DC/OC support.  
  • Chargers-this could drive Reid to retire.  I have no doubt that the Chargers are going to take the next step.  

Hot/Open seats for 2024-Jets, Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, Chiefs (retire), Patriots (if they stink), others.  

I will keep saying the same thing:  For the Jets next phase, Vrabel is as good as they are going to get.,   They need someone to have an effect like Parcells did.  That is not going to be geeky Ben Johnson.  

Next year, the Jets will be competing with 5+ teams for Vrabel. 

1st i dont think Kraft will fire the 1st black HC in Pats history after one year no matter how bad it gets.

unless there is a health problem that comes up Andy Ried is not retiring. when HCs have the best QB in the NFL ex BB/Brady they just dont walk away. plus Ried is only 65 and 70 wins away from the all time record. he is avging 13 wins a year with Mahomes. he could break that in 5-6 years and go out at 72 which is Carrolls and BB age about.

he has 2 SBs and might have 3 by next Sunday. with Mahomes if he stays for 5-7 more years could tie BB with 6. we could very well be calling Ried the best HC of all time if that happens.

hes not going anywhere.

and neither is Salah cause were making the playoffs next year...😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about Pete Carroll?

I think Carroll is done coaching 

For as old as Belichick is, Carroll is two years older. He’ll be 73 at the start of the season.

If you were going to oust Saleh this offseason, the move to make was Harbaugh. Sadly that ship has sailed.

They might as well just stick with Saleh and Douglas and hope to God that Rodgers stays healthy.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Speak for yourself.

Jets would have multiple SB’s if I was in charge back in 2017.

You barely made it through  the Jets not picking Mahomes, and then threatened to give up on the team if we pick Bowers, remember the owner signs off on the first pick. Don’t think it would be worth the toll it would take on your physical and mental health, maybe 5 million would help.

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think Carroll is done coaching 

For as old as Belichick is, Carroll is two years older. He’ll be 73 at the start of the season.

If you were going to oust Saleh this offseason, the move to make was Harbaugh. Sadly that ship has sailed.

They might as well just stick with Saleh and Douglas and hope to God that Rodgers stays healthy.

I think he still wants to coach.  Pretty sure he said he even lobbied to keep his job.  You're right that, at 73, it's unlikely a team will hire him but our situation feels like it would fit him perfectly.  We're a win-now team with a 1-2 year window with AR8.  After that, we're going to go through a major shift.  At that point we can move on to our next HC (and probably GM).  The one thing I heard today is that Carroll is still under contract so I guess we'd have to trade something to Seattle for him.  Can't imagine it would take very much though.

31 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Your point is wrong.

If Woody would commit himself (both directly to prospective candidates and publicly) that he's taking responsibility for the organizational failures to date, that he realizes now that to be successful, he needs to be in the shadows doing nothing but signing checks for real football people, then grossly overpay for said coach, there I no reason he can't get a proven winner to lead this franchise.

People understand that the 1st guy to come here and make the Jets a legitimate Super Bowl contender is going to be elevated to God status. If you don't think so, look no further than Jets fans who still believe in Zach Wilson as a microcosm of how committed and thirsty this fan base is.

they all want to be like Jerry Jones .... a GM. nobody want to give total control to anybody anymore. i think thats why BB and Carroll didnt get jobs this year. and im willing to bet that Harbaugh doesnt have complete control too. 

these teams are there toys and there going to want to play with it. its no fun to win and you did nothing but sign the checks.

all these good young HCs (Shannahan, LaFluer, Siriani etc) were nobodys when they were hired and didnt have and still dont have full control. Woody sees this and thinks he can do the same while paying a hell of alot less then it would cost to bring in a Harbaugh. 

32 minutes ago, doitny said:

they all want to be like Jerry Jones .... a GM. nobody want to give total control to anybody anymore. i think thats why BB and Carroll didnt get jobs this year. and im willing to bet that Harbaugh doesnt have complete control too. 

these teams are there toys and there going to want to play with it. its no fun to win and you did nothing but sign the checks.

all these good young HCs (Shannahan, LaFluer, Siriani etc) were nobodys when they were hired and didnt have and still dont have full control. Woody sees this and thinks he can do the same while paying a hell of alot less then it would cost to bring in a Harbaugh. 

It's a lot more fun to win and just sign the checks than the thing Woody has been doing. By miles. That's what he has to figure out (or at least have someone else slap him in the face with that reality)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

This is so disingenuous but I expect this from you

Jags got that HC because of the perception of Lawrence at the time(future franchise QB) we have Rodgers

so yeah stop with the BS

Disingenuous?  WTF are you talking about?  Your brain can’t compute another POV so it’s off to accusations I guess.  This is such BS but I expect it from you

Have no clue why you always respond if what I wrote was disingenuous or so wrong that disingenuous came into your head

There are 32 like this in the entire universe, only a handful can turn a job down knowing they could find another.  Peterson took the job because after Philly no one was calling and they still might not call.  No one is interested in Vrabel or Belichick.  no way Reich was going to take the Panthers too, another hot take.
When 99% of this board was falling over themselves for Saleh they were afraid he would never take this job without talent and take the Detroit job.  Then they shlt themselves when they let him go home to think it over.  Same story every time

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Next year is a throw away year —— I’m not sure if they believe own BS that it’s all Rodgers getting hurt and really think they’ll be good next year - or if it’s taking one last paycheck before getting canned.

Next year is a wasted season and essentially wasting the year after as well.  As they’ll be playing a rookie QB.

I would love it if we ended up with a 1st round QB but what would be the point of bringing in AR8 for a short window to try to win a SB if we drafted IV last year and a QB in the 1st this year (with no 2nd rounder) to sit behind AR8?  It would be completely incongruent. 

On top of that, we have a GM and a HC who are both on the hot seat.  Imagine they both get fired after next year and the next GM we hire is told "this is your next QB"?

None of it would make sense.

I have two more facts that are kind of relevant:

• Vrabel has two sons and one is out of college, the other in college.  So I don’t think there is concern about where the Vrabel’s live temporarily.
  • Vrabel was paid $9.5mm a year to coach the Titans.  Woody has never paid a coach like that.    That was also tax free in Tennessee (and I don’t know coaches taxes work-players pay taxes here they play games/live…another thread).  
  • So bringing in Vrabel would not create family issues for him…necessarily.  I just don’t see Woody stepping up.  Ben Johnson already wants to make 2nd HC contract….My guess is that this was eh real issue with Mike McCarthy, but Gase agreed to work cheaper.  
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is Vrabel close with BB though?  If so, he probably hates the Jets by association.

Possibly. But there's 32 NFL HC jobs in the world. Currently 0 are available but the Jets might soon have an opening (I could only dream).  I think the idea that people don't want to come to certain organizations for whatever reason is a stretch, especially when there's no options. 

• Upvote 1

I guess my concern is that much like Bowles continues to keep his job because he was in a bad division and beat a perennial contender for losing big games, if saleh does “well” next year with Rodgers healthy, but peters out in the divisional round, is he the guy? Doesn’t it make sense to hire someone who has WON a Super Bowl like bellicheck or Carrol and will have the respect of the locker room when things get hard?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

37 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have two more facts that are kind of relevant:

• Vrabel has two sons and one is out of college, the other in college.  So I don’t think there is concern about where the Vrabel’s live temporarily.
  • Vrabel was paid $9.5mm a year to coach the Titans.  Woody has never paid a coach like that.    That was also tax free in Tennessee (and I don’t know coaches taxes work-players pay taxes here they play games/live…another thread).  
  • So bringing in Vrabel would not create family issues for him…necessarily.  I just don’t see Woody stepping up.  Ben Johnson already wants to make 2nd HC contract….My guess is that this was eh real issue with Mike McCarthy, but Gase agreed to work cheaper.  

Woody spends hundreds of millions every year.  His team is a top 5 team in attendance every year.  He’s not going to spend a million or two over what he’s paid? Add to that other than some reports that a DC like Saleh got over $6 mil per, where’s the big difference that the suddenly cheap Woody wouldn’t pay? Even for a Vrabel?  Who won 6 and 7 games the last two years.  Not exactly carrying his team on his shoulders records.  Not getting the love

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Your point is wrong.

If Woody would commit himself (both directly to prospective candidates and publicly) that he's taking responsibility for the organizational failures to date, that he realizes now that to be successful, he needs to be in the shadows doing nothing but signing checks for real football people, then grossly overpay for said coach, there I no reason he can't get a proven winner to lead this franchise.

People understand that the 1st guy to come here and make the Jets a legitimate Super Bowl contender is going to be elevated to God status. If you don't think so, look no further than Jets fans who still believe in Zach Wilson as a microcosm of how committed and thirsty this fan base is.

Keep dreaming. Firing everyone literally a day after all the open jobs are filled would be such a scumbag move the entire NFL community would shun woody for a decade and no matter what he says they would all know that is was a knee jerk reaction to basically a tweet. 

The only thing keeping woody from being #32 on the owners list is tepper is a mad man . He’s #31 and that’s why he shops in the blue light special bins. 

If the jets cleaned house now no agent would let his client come here under any circumstances unless he was such a poor candidate that it would be his only shot at the top job  

J!

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Woody spends hundreds of millions every year.  His team is a top 5 team in attendance every year.  He’s not going to spend a million or two over what he’s paid? Add to that other than some reports that a DC like Saleh got over $6 mil per, where’s the big difference that the suddenly cheap Woody wouldn’t pay? Even for a Vrabel?  Who won 6 and 7 games the last two years.  Not exactly carrying his team on his shoulders records.  Not getting the love

Johnson balked at bringing in another QB when Rodgers got hurt. And that meant spending $. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I would love it if we ended up with a 1st round QB but what would be the point of bringing in AR8 for a short window to try to win a SB if we drafted IV last year and a QB in the 1st this year (with no 2nd rounder) to sit behind AR8?  It would be completely incongruent. 

On top of that, we have a GM and a HC who are both on the hot seat.  Imagine they both get fired after next year and the next GM we hire is told "this is your next QB"?

None of it would make sense.

Well...

This isn't a win now team.  It's a win now defense but the offense isn't close... Moreover, the assumption you're making is that Rodgers is still capable at playing at an elite level.  I don't believe that to be the case.

With all of that said, I get your point.  The Jets brass believe they're a win now team and they also understand they're playing for their jobs this year...so there's no way they're taking a QB...

All I'm saying is a quality organization would recognize the reality - move on from Douglas and Saleh and use Rodgers this year as a bridge to allow the rookie to sit for a year.

Instead they're doubling down on their mistakes...and simply wasting not one but two years...

• Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Keep dreaming. Firing everyone literally a day after all the open jobs are filled would be such a scumbag move the entire NFL community would shun woody for a decade and no matter what he says they would all know that is was a knee jerk reaction to basically a tweet. 

The only thing keeping woody from being #32 on the owners list is tepper is a mad man . He’s #31 and that’s why he shops in the blue light special bins. 

If the jets cleaned house now no agent would let his client come here under any circumstances unless he was such a poor candidate that it would be his only shot at the top job  

J!

At no point did I make the argument that he should clean house right now. But ok.

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Johnson balked at bringing in another QB when Rodgers got hurt. And that meant spending $. 

And you know that was the reason because?  
Who were they bringing in at that point who’s asking price was was of any significance?  
How can anyone complain that Woody doesn’t spend after all he’s spent over the years?  
He has plenty to complain about, spending money isn’t one

• Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed, except this is a gm and coach who are working for their jobs, so no way they take a qb in round 1… I’m also not convinced they take a qb at all. If it doesn’t work next year, their out and a new regime comes in and likely wouldn’t want the day 2/3 qb because they didn’t pick them.

the move was to fire saleh and Douglas, tell the new regime (gm/coach) that they have at least a year of Rodgers and we will be going for it, but take a qb to develop behind Rodgers for a year or two like love.

instead, like others have said, Douglas will mortgage the future that he won’t be here for on the hopes he gets to save his job.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don’t think saleh gets axed this season for the same reason everyone else thinks but at the same time woody promised mangini wouldn’t be fired in 2008 and he was let go.  Funny how schitty survived.  If the athletic article is even partly true then an awful lot of what’s going on lands squarely on salehs shoulders.  Simply keeping him to reset with a healthy Rodgers does not seem to cure the problem. Woody would be better off promoting Ulbrich and then bringing a new dc.  And frankly, in this scenario I’d extend Douglas mainly because his last two drafts have been pretty darn good.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I do appreciate you trying to bring a level head into this discussion but it's not like this team has had any success for the past 13 years (or whatever our playoff drought is).  In other words, I think there's a good case to think we are a dysfunctional mess.

Same point again on the level head comment above.  But what has Saleh done to earn himself another year?  Guys like Tomlin and Stefanski overcame.  Saleh was making excuses all the time.  And I think the Athletic article was sort of saying basically the same thing that Joe Benigno talked about during the season.  Benigno said on his podcast that Saleh told him something like "I just want a chance to coach a real QB  once".  I don't blame Benigno even one bit for talking about this stuff but I absolutely do blame Saleh for not keeping his mouth shut.  Plus it shows that Saleh has absolutely no common sense. Even if Saleh might've made the playoffs had we had AR8 all year (which was unlikely even if the week 1 injury didn't happen), I still am not convinced he could out-coach someone in the playoffs.  

I'm at the point where I just want Saleh to be fired.  

Saleh has done nothing to deserve to be back and I don't think many would have quibbled if he was fired. But I stand by the points I made.

I'll also add you can't fire Saleh and keep JD. I believe their timelines are tied together (JD will be in final year and Saleh will have one year left). If they don't make a serious run, no way JD gets extended and he'll be let go and Saleh fired at end of 2024 season. Full house cleaning.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Disingenuous?  WTF are you talking about?  Your brain can’t compute another POV so it’s off to accusations I guess.  This is such BS but I expect it from you

Have no clue why you always respond if what I wrote was disingenuous or so wrong that disingenuous came into your head

There are 32 like this in the entire universe, only a handful can turn a job down knowing they could find another.  Peterson took the job because after Philly no one was calling and they still might not call.  No one is interested in Vrabel or Belichick.  no way Reich was going to take the Panthers too, another hot take.
When 99% of this board was falling over themselves for Saleh they were afraid he would never take this job without talent and take the Detroit job.  Then they shlt themselves when they let him go home to think it over.  Same story every time

Quit attacking posters and just make your point.

10 hours ago, Jigsaw89 said:

Possibly. But there's 32 NFL HC jobs in the world. Currently 0 are available but the Jets might soon have an opening (I could only dream).  I think the idea that people don't want to come to certain organizations for whatever reason is a stretch, especially when there's no options. 

that only matters to guys who are desperate to get there 1st shot. Vrabel has made a name for himself. he can wait for the right job to come along. plus he is under contract til 2025. thats 2 years. it wont be cheap to trade for him.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Not to mention the 3 top coaches still on the market are defensive coaches, which three weeks ago was a big no no on this board.

thats cause nobody here thinks. they just want to fire this one or that one and think the next guy will be better.

fire MLF!!!!

ok

i dont want another 1st time OC.

ok

we just hired Hackett

OMG WTF did we do!!!!!! we should have kept MLF.

• Upvote 1

that only matters to guys who are desperate to get there 1st shot. Vrabel has made a name for himself. he can wait for the right job to come along. plus he is under contract til 2025. thats 2 years. it wont be cheap to trade for him.
It's possible it's worth it no ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

It's possible it's worth it no ?

no. im not giving up draft picks for any HC. 

its not going to be a 4th rd pick with 2 years left. 

you get a QB you be surprised how good your HC is no matter what his name is. 

besides it too late. the Senior bowl just happend, the Jets coaches are starting work this week. its too late to get a staff together. 

no. im not giving up draft picks for any HC. 
its not going to be a 4th rd pick with 2 years left. 
you get a QB you be surprised how good your HC is no matter what his name is. 
besides it too late. the Senior bowl just happend, the Jets coaches are starting work this week. its too late to get a staff together. 
If that's the case then you mortgage the entire draft and Sauce to move up to a top 2 spot