RIP Richard Caster

RIP.  

One of my favorite Jets from the post SB era.  Never got a high volume of targets, but the guy was a big play threat whenever the ball went his way.  Perfect complement to Namath.

• Upvote 3

Started as a wide receiver, then switched to tight end (or was it the other way around)... In his first years, he dropped the ball alot, he was often open on those bombs.. But eventually his hands got better. Rooting for him and Jerome Barkum was fun... To this day, if I want to remember no. 88,i think of Richard Caster, and 83 is Barkum. Do you think he got the Parkinsons from playing football? 

11 hours ago, Lith said:

RIP.  

One of my favorite Jets from the post SB era.  Never got a high volume of targets, but the guy was a big play threat whenever the ball went his way.  Perfect complement to Namath.

Great memories of Caster. He was part of a new breed of TEs that were big, fast offensive weapons.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Started as a wide receiver, then switched to tight end (or was it the other way around)... In his first years, he dropped the ball alot, he was often open on those bombs.. But eventually his hands got better. Rooting for him and Jerome Barkum was fun... To this day, if I want to remember no. 88,i think of Richard Caster, and 83 is Barkum. Do you think he got the Parkinsons from playing football? 

Had season tickets back then at  Shea with my older brother,  everytime he dropped one we would call him Castor Oil.......RIP.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

RIP

One of my favorites.  He only caught one ball at the first game I went to, but it was for 49 yards.  The "other" Jets Colts game in 1972.  

If that was the game where Eddie Ball caught an 80+ yard TD pass from Namath in the 4th quarter to win it, then I was there too. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

If that was the game where Eddie Ball caught an 80+ yard TD pass from Namath in the 4th quarter to win it, then I was there too. 

Yep.  Did you stay until the end?  228 yards and 2 TDs on 5 completions.  My Dad was always a huge Maynard guy.  Maynard had 1 catch for 28 yards and the lowest yards per catch on the team!  The Colts safety had the ball in his hands and Bell just took it and ran into the end zone and started clicking his heels.  At the time we thought Riggins was going to carry that team for years to come.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  Did you stay until the end?  228 yards and 2 TDs on 5 completions.  My Dad was always a huge Maynard guy.  Maynard had 1 catch for 28 yards and the lowest yards per catch on the team!  The Colts safety had the ball in his hands and Bell just took it and ran into the end zone and started clicking his heels.  At the time we thought Riggins was going to carry that team for years to come.  

Not sure if I was there until the end, but I was there when Bell made the play.  I remember seeing him catch the pass off the deflection and scoring the TD.  5-16 for 228 and 2TDs.  Plus 3 picks, 

Only Namath could have a line like that.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2024 at 2:25 AM, Lith said:

I remember listening to that on the radio, with Marty Glickman calling the game, and then I waited until 10:30 on Sports Extra ch 5 with  Bill Mazer, to finally see that winning play with Eddie Bell.