Jets releasing Laken Tomlinson, gain $8 mil in cap space

4 hours ago, Rob Moore said:

The guy started every game for us while he was here, seemed to be a great teammate.  
Did he not live up to his fa deal? Sure

Was he an overall disappointment based on what he was paid? Sure 

But embarrassing FA deal?  Absolutely not. 
I just don’t see why some of you need to  turn everything into “LOL Jets, we’re an embarrassing clown show” hyperbole.

He was a signing that made tons of sense at the time but didn’t live up, that’s it.  Happens to every team every free agency period.

We had a great LG already, then we sign another LG!  It was effing stupid and it’s sad it took this long to get rid of him.  Moving AVT caused the injuries.  That’s like us signing Russell Wilson this year.  You fill holes not what this a$$clown Douglas has done.  

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

7 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Kind of shocked and not because this wasn’t warranted but I just assumed Doulgas would double down on his durability and having someone back who has been on this OL for “consistency.” Nice job.

• Sign Cushenberry

• Move Tippmann to Guard

• Keep AVT at Guard

• Sign or trade for Cam Robinson

• Draft RT and have Carter Warren compete in camp for starting spot

Yeah just like in the past.  I'm sure they will cobble something together that we'll all mostly agree looks playable before the start of game 1.   Go Jets!  The Deja Vu Jets.   

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Kind of shocked and not because this wasn’t warranted but I just assumed Doulgas would double down on his durability and having someone back who has been on this OL for “consistency.” Nice job.

• Sign Cushenberry

• Move Tippmann to Guard

• Keep AVT at Guard

• Sign or trade for Cam Robinson

• Draft RT and have Carter Warren compete in camp for starting spot

What leads you to believe that Douglass values durability on the OL based on his free agent signings and how much the premier draft picks have managed to stay on the field?

7 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Which is what?

The GM that said o line was his first priority and it was touted he was a guru has failed at every attempt to build it.

You aren't judged on your intentions. You are judged on your results.

This is what a lot of people need to realize in regards to Douglas 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

He only stuck around this long because of cap issues - his level of play should have seen him cut last year. Next year, it will be Lazard's turn to suffer the same fate.

Anyway, it creates another hole but the Jets can move AVT back to LG, if he's healthy, play Tippmann at either Center or Right Guard, and find the best available FA to fill the other interior spot. Then we're probably looking at a veteran FA at LT, and a high draft pick at RT.

• Upvote 4

Can’t say this was unexpected.  Something was going to happen either now or after June first.  But I put tomlinsons failure on more on saleh than Douglas.  Tomlinson should’ve been able to play the the level he did with the niners and all saleh did was to trot him out each week and watch him fail.  Did saleh ever bench him?  Sure it’s tough to pull a guy that shows up each week when the rest are injured but still.  Turner possibly could’ve played left guard or any one of the young guys.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Not like we didnt see it coming.  Now there is talk about Jets & Huff working a deal for him to stick around.  And my "inside" source tells me JD and RS are drooling over Brock Bowers and hope he slides.  Even if one of the top OT's are there, they want Bowers. 

God damn that 3 year/$60 million deal they’re going to hand Bakhtiari is really gonna sting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

So this means he was not designated a post 6/1 cut and only saving $8M and not $13M.

It also means his $10M dead cap accelerates to this year.

It just means next year he has no cap hit.

I was expecting him designated a later cut myself, but it really doesn’t matter. Aside from the cap going way higher, he’s going to backload new signings more.

On paper it makes no difference if Tomlinson counts $5MM more this year and $0 next year and structure someone else new to count $5MM less this year / more next year.

They paid him this money so it had to come off, but it’s a bit coincidental that this happened right after the announcement the cap is rising by the higher estimate. Otherwise I don’t know why it was done now vs. two weeks from now when everyone else does it (or just wait until his replacement is officially signed first).

Everyone’s assuming it’s because Tomlinson sucked and that’s that, but it could also be they approached him with an offer-threat of a pay cut demand or getting cut and - like Mosley did over the summer - he called JD’s bluff because he’s the only one who started every game, and the GM can’t be seen as making only idle threats he never backs up (plus unlike in the summer all the FAs will still be out there).

• Upvote 4

When you add the $10.7M in dead cap to what the Jets already had on the books you now have $29M already in dead cap for 2024.   It’s the second most behind the Titans who have $31M, but they have $71M in cap space available.  Jets now have $29M in dead cap and about $20M in space.   Not a great ratio.  

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

What leads you to believe that Douglass values durability on the OL based on his free agent signings and how much the premier draft picks have managed to stay on the field?

My assumption was that he would just double down on a poor signing and use durability as a weak excuse for it.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

At most, the Jets will be adding 3, assuming they’re not bringing back Becton and aren’t already rolling the dice on Warren starting all season.

The 2021 Chiefs started 5 new starters on their OL: traded their 1st for a tagged LT, signed an elite FA guard, plus 3 rookies who were all drafted after the 1st rounder they traded away (at the bottom of each round, no less).

It’s a task for him, no doubt, but harder tasks have been accomplished. 

Big picture, considering they’re all in this year with rodgers and don’t have a 2nd rounder - you’d have to think douglas wants to trade out of 10.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

So we have a historically bad offense.   We are bringing back the worst offensive coordinator in the league, a 40+ year old old QB coming off a serious season ending injury, bringing back what is widely considered to be an awful offensive line coach, and as of now have one healthy starting offensive lineman in Joe Tippman.   We are suggesting we asking this one healthy lineman to change positions.   We are hoping another linemen in AVT will come back effective from back to back seasons missed.  We have one good running back and one good wide receiver.   We are counting on a lame duck GM who just lost his right and left hand man and a lame duck head coach who lost the assistants other teams want and is left with only those nobody wants.   We have 6 draft picks and little money in FA.    I’ve been as down as I have ever been on this team which is saying something and now that I’ve jotted this all done at least I understand why.   Just do not see any way in hell we can fight our way out if this in one off season.  

If this doesnt describe Coach Bobby's ALL GAS NO BRAKES I dont know what does.   Positive vibes only !  LOL   Already looking forward to this years T shirt 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

At most, the Jets will be adding 3, assuming they’re not bringing back Becton and aren’t already rolling the dice on Warren starting all season.

The 2021 Chiefs started 5 new starters on their OL: traded their 1st for a tagged LT, signed an elite FA guard, plus 3 rookies who were all drafted after the 1st rounder they traded away (at the bottom of each round, no less).

It’s a task for him, no doubt, but harder tasks have been accomplished. 

The task is going to be firmly on saleh.  I’m thinking Douglas will find/ draft decent oline players.  It’ll be up to saleh to get them to play effectively.

• Upvote 1

I am honestly surprised this one came so early.  Was there a bonus or time when guarantees set in his contract?  A guy that had been a good starter in the past with no real forseeable replacement, I figured he'd be a late cut if they found anybody remotely reasonable to take his place.  I certainly thought Uzomah deserved the axe with more immediacy.

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Which is what?

The GM that said o line was his first priority and it was touted he was a guru has failed at every attempt to build it.

You aren't judged on your intentions. You are judged on your results.

We were talking about ONE lineman and what happened with his contract. You lumped in the GM's entire performance to make a point that we were arguing.

not apples to appled my friend.

12 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Not like we didnt see it coming.  Now there is talk about Jets & Huff working a deal for him to stick around.  And my "inside" source tells me JD and RS are drooling over Brock Bowers and hope he slides.  Even if one of the top OT's are there, they want Bowers. 

Between this and the report that JD is swooning over Fuaga, he really needs to control his emotions more. 

How I imagine JD when he scouts

Do Want I Need It GIF

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Ok, Aaron, we are signing your boy and drafting another DE

Nope

They're drafting Troy Fautanu from Washington

Most likely

Bakhitari/. T.  Fautanu*/. Warren 

Vera-Tucker/. D. Edwards 

Tippmann/ Schweitzer 

J. Jackson/. Z. Zinter*