Nick Mangold will be a Jet if he's there at 29

GreenBeans

I heard an interview on Fox Sports Radio this afternoon and he fits the Mangini description perfectly - smart, hard-working, loves football, and the ability to play (although he hasn't) center or guard. Listening to this kid was like hearing him shout "Hey NY, I'm here!" What do you think, is he the Jets second pick in the 1st?

Skee, one more idea. If you're going to Beverly Hills, stop into the hotel bar at the Beverly Wilshire. Have a crab claw appetizer with a good vodka martini. Have on your best metro-sexual duds with a sassy pocket hanky to add a little splash, and who knows, you might wake up next to Paris Hilton......or maybe one of her friends. Good luck. -Apollo "superstud" Belvidere.

depth on the line is key

if mangold can play center and guard put him in.

teague can play center and tackle

katnik is solely center

kendall can play guard and center...

push teague out and see if he can win a rt spot if he can't beat out mangold

if mangold can't win center, have him learn the position and develop

katnik is young too and perhaps could learn another ol position to help develop depth...something we severely lack on the oline

but i say only because of our current depth, grab him at 35, not 29

Teague is what 30 or 31? I don't think that this rules out the possibility of us drafting Mangold. Teague gives us options which is great but if Mangold is the best player available that will help the teams long term needs than I wouldn't hesitate to draft a talented player like him. I honestly wouldn't mind using one of these picks on a RB even though I know it's not one of our biggest needs and I would also like to see us draft an impact pass rushing OLB.

I dont know who'll be there we gotta see there is always someone who you wouldn't have figured to drop as far as he does and there is always someone who goes off the board way before anyone expected... It's fun to speculate though

Teague can and has also played RT before guys (A HUGE need) and can easily play there while Mangold plays Center, so don't rule anything out. Also, I am hearing how much we love this guy Katlnik. Who is he? Age? Got a scouting report on him?

I heard an interview on Fox Sports Radio this afternoon and he fits the Mangini description perfectly - smart, hard-working, loves football, and the ability to play (although he hasn't) center or guard. Listening to this kid was like hearing him shout "Hey NY, I'm here!" What do you think, is he the Jets second pick in the 1st?

Jets creat a desperate need when they jettison a dominant pass rusher for a 29th pick in order to replace a six time All Pro Center who they also cut? Laughable, sad and much too Jet like.

Jets creat a desperate need when they jettison a dominant pass rusher for a 29th pick in order to replace a six time All Pro Center who they also cut? Laughable, sad and much too Jet like.

OK, and in a 3-4, where would the Jets put this $8M/year player?

He can't play OLB full-time b/c he sucks there.

He's too puny to play DE by about 40-50 lbs.

You'd re-sign him to be a part-time situational pass-rusher for 10-12 games for $8M/yr?

Fool.

OK, and in a 3-4, where would the Jets put this $8M/year player?

He can't play OLB full-time b/c he sucks there.

He's too puny to play DE by about 40-50 lbs.

You'd re-sign him to be a part-time situational pass-rusher for 10-12 games for $8M/yr?

Fool.

Great coaches use schemes to feature their best players. Mangini is not a great coach, in fact, he was a failure in his first year as DC of the Patriots and he called all the plays. Patriots ranked 26th in total defense and 31st in pass defense under Mangini's first year and only year as a defensive coorfinator. But don't let facts get in the way. Worst draft is to take Mario Williams to replace John Abraham and Nick Mangold to replace Kevin Mawae. Both positions would be downgrades.

Is he really impressing the Jets scouts that much? Could he start? What is your take on him?

I know next to nothing about the kid (Katnik) other than the fact that the Jets thought they got a steal in grabbing him from the Niner's practive squad last year. I think Gragg was bragging about the kid being the real deal. I figure he's gotta be decent to have helped keep both Leinart and Palmer standing at SC. That O-Line has been pretty damn good these past 4 years, and being a part of that can't be a bad thing.

Great coaches use schemes to feature their best players. Mangini is not a great coach, in fact, he was a failure in his first year as DC of the Patriots and he called all the plays. Patriots ranked 26th in total defense and 31st in pass defense under Mangini's first year and only year as a defensive coorfinator. But don't let facts get in the way. Worst draft is to take Mario Williams to replace John Abraham and Nick Mangold to replace Kevin Mawae. Both positions would be downgrades.

Abraham was not under contract. You're describing a situation where we would essentially (in reverse) trade the #29 pick and $45M in cap space to SIGN a player that doesn't fit & is VERY injury-prone.

And since you are walking right into the fire with "Great coaches use schemes to feature their best players." Don't YOU consider Herm to be this great coach the Jets no longer have? So this great coach's best players on offense - when he got here - were Vinnie, Martin, Coles, Chrebet, and also had just drafted Santana Moss. He also had some bigger/immobile OT's in Fabini/Young. With the exception of maybe Martin, NONE of those players truly fit in a WCO, yet it was implemented anyway. Then on defense he had a good, veteran 3-4 defense with big linemen/LB'ers & man-corners. With the same personnel he went to a 4-3 Tampa-2 base package that requires the polar opposite. And this was to be implemented/coached by a DC whose specialty was the 3-4 & had never gameplanned a cover-2 as the base package. All of this was done when the Jets were NOT rebuilding, making it exponentially dumber.

Talk about opening your mouth & inserting your foot.

Mangini is not a great coach, in fact, he was a failure in his first year as DC of the Patriots and he called all the plays. Patriots ranked 26th in total defense and 31st in pass defense under Mangini's first year and only year as a defensive coorfinator. But don't let facts get in the way.

Yea, the Jets made a huge mistake with Mangini.

They should have stayed with the great Hermy Edwards because he took the Jets to the playoffs 3 out of 5 years.:eek:

Your posts get dumber by the day.

I don't think the Teague signing and Katnik mean the Jets won't draft a center, but makes it more likely to be in a later round.... maybe Degory.

The rap on Teague is that he gets overpowered.... not what you want in a RT. I think Winston is a more likely choice at 29. The Jets really need a big RT, and the way they went after Runyan makes me think that is exactly what they will look for at 29, a big mauling guy for run blocking, if a guy they like falls.... or they may wait until the 35th, but I'd be very surprised if they don't address the RT spot early.

I don't think the Teague signing and Katnik mean the Jets won't draft a center, but makes it more likely to be in a later round.... maybe Degory.

The rap on Teague is that he gets overpowered.... not what you want in a RT. I think Winston is a more likely choice at 29. The Jets really need a big RT, and the way they went after Runyan makes me think that is exactly what they will look for at 29, a big mauling guy for run blocking, if a guy they like falls.... or they may wait until the 35th, but I'd be very surprised if they don't address the RT spot early.

I completely agree. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Degory or Pat Ross in Round 3 or 4. Trey Teague is our center for the next two years and while he won't be Kevin Mawae in his prime he will be way better than what Mawae was last year.

Our biggest need on the O-line right now is at RT. We could also use a couple big, young guards. Like you said, Eric Winston at 29, or Andrew Whitworth at 35. Then in Round 3 with the comp pick we draft Degory or Taitusi Lutui. Round 4 we take Pat Ross or Jason Spitz.

I completely agree. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Degory or Pat Ross in Round 3 or 4. Trey Teague is our center for the next two years and while he won't be Kevin Mawae in his prime he will be way better than what Mawae was last year.

Our biggest need on the O-line right now is at RT. We could also use a couple big, young guards. Like you said, Eric Winston at 29, or Andrew Whitworth at 35. Then in Round 3 with the comp pick we draft Degory or Taitusi Lutui. Round 4 we take Pat Ross or Jason Spitz.

Jets need a RT at 29

RB at 35

center in rd 4

I'm not digging into you, as it's all just a matter of opinions/values. But why do you want to draft a RB (at 35 which is essentially a 1st-round pick this year) before a legitimate OL is in place? Not to mention, 2nd-rounders can only be signed for 4-year contracts now. So year-one is out the window running behind Jones-Kendall-Teague-Moore-Rookie and Askew. So that leaves 3 years left on his contract & at a high-injury position like HB would likely hold out of camp in year 4 if we don't give him a lucrative extension (assuming he's worth it to begin with). So you may only get production out of him for 2 years at cheap dollars.

At 35 you're talking about Joseph Addai presumably. I can't see any of the others dropping down to 35 and anyone else is a huge reach at 35. What is it about him that makes you think it's better to throw him behind this ragamuffin OL rather than building a STELLAR offensive line that a mid-rounder can succeed behind?

Not everyone agrees with me, but I'd much rather put at least two studs on the OL by pick 35 (Rd 1 OT and Jean-Gilles at 35). They're going to take more than their rookie off-season to turn into what you hope they'll be anyway. Moore I think is an outstanding backup (at the right price and locked up for many years), but a sub-par starter. Better to do that (IMO) and then draft a RB in round 1-2 next year or see who becomes another team's cap-casualty in FA next year.

I still like the idea of building the OL. Would love to trade down & draft McNeill/Winston + Jean-Gilles + O'Callaghan/Trueblood in the first 3 rounds. Then add whoever you want at HB & watch him light up the league.

Jets need a RT at 29

RB at 35

center in rd 4

I'm not digging into you, as it's all just a matter of opinions/values. But why do you want to draft a RB (at 35 which is essentially a 1st-round pick this year) before a legitimate OL is in place? Not to mention, 2nd-rounders can only be signed for 4-year contracts now. So year-one is out the window running behind Jones-Kendall-Teague-Moore-Rookie and Askew. So that leaves 3 years left on his contract & at a high-injury position like HB would likely hold out of camp in year 4 if we don't give him a lucrative extension (assuming he's worth it to begin with). So you may only get production out of him for 2 years at cheap dollars.

At 35 you're talking about Joseph Addai presumably. I can't see any of the others dropping down to 35 and anyone else is a huge reach at 35. What is it about him that makes you think it's better to throw him behind this ragamuffin OL rather than building a STELLAR offensive line that a mid-rounder can succeed behind?

Not everyone agrees with me, but I'd much rather put at least two studs on the OL by pick 35 (Rd 1 OT and Jean-Gilles at 35). They're going to take more than their rookie off-season to turn into what you hope they'll be anyway. Moore I think is an outstanding backup (at the right price and locked up for many years), but a sub-par starter. Better to do that (IMO) and then draft a RB in round 1-2 next year or see who becomes another team's cap-casualty in FA next year.

I still like the idea of building the OL. Would love to trade down & draft McNeill/Winston + Jean-Gilles + O'Callaghan/Trueblood in the first 3 rounds. Then add whoever you want at HB & watch him light up the league.

You can find a starting RT at 29...

the 2006 line will be

Jones, kendall, teague, Moore, ROOKIE

Jets have ZERO plamakers..

the RB's have ZERO speed.

If Jets can get a speedster rb like addai at 35 they must..

They also need a Playmaker WR in rd 3...

Jets are scaring NOBODY with Coles and Martin as your skill guys

the 2006 line will be

the 2006 line will be

Fair enough. I'm just of the opinion that

1. a dominant line can CREATE playmakers out of mid/late round picks;
  2. a weak/mediocre line can turn playmakers into ordinary players if the QB has no time to throw or the RB has no hole to run through;
  3. a RB who can only be acquired with a top-35 pick is definitely not needed to win a superbowl;
  4. I still see this as a rebuilding year & think a RB is a last piece in the puzzle not a building-block.

But we'll see what Mangini & Tannenbaum do soon enough.:cheers:

the 2006 line will be

2. a weak/mediocre line can turn playmakers into ordinary players if the QB has no time to throw or the RB has no hole to run through;
  3. a RB who can only be acquired with a top-35 pick is definitely not needed to win a superbowl;
  4. I still see this as a rebuilding year & think a RB is a last piece in the puzzle not a building-block.

According to your logic then Kansas City should have won 4 Super Bowls in the past 5 years because they had the best offensive line hands down in the NFL every season.

Yeah ofcourse it helps the running game but if you don't have a running back who can make plays what is the point? If at least 50% of our offensive plays are going to be passing plays wouldn't it help if we had a good qb and he had receivers who could occasionally get open? Right now our best qb (Ramsey) is a back-up on most teams and don't get me started on our pathetic receiver corps.

The offensive line at KC made Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson into stars but those guys are certainly not scrubs. Both were very talented running backs who could make a lot of plays and the offensive line set them up for success. You can't set up our running backs up for success because, well, they suck.

Archived