Nick Mangold will be a Jet if he's there at 29

GreenBeans

Fair enough. I'm just of the opinion that
  1. a dominant line can CREATE playmakers out of mid/late round picks;
  2. a weak/mediocre line can turn playmakers into ordinary players if the QB has no time to throw or the RB has no hole to run through;
  3. a RB who can only be acquired with a top-35 pick is definitely not needed to win a superbowl;
  4. I still see this as a rebuilding year & think a RB is a last piece in the puzzle not a building-block.

But we'll see what Mangini & Tannenbaum do soon enough.:cheers:

According to your logic then Kansas City should have won 4 Super Bowls in the past 5 years because they had the best offensive line hands down in the NFL every season.

Yeah ofcourse it helps the running game but if you don't have a running back who can make plays what is the point? If at least 50% of our offensive plays are going to be passing plays wouldn't it help if we had a good qb and he had receivers who could occasionally get open? Right now our best qb (Ramsey) is a back-up on most teams and don't get me started on our pathetic receiver corps.

The offensive line at KC made Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson into stars but those guys are certainly not scrubs. Both were very talented running backs who could make a lot of plays and the offensive line set them up for success. You can't set up our running backs up for success because, well, they suck.

KC also lacked a playmaker wr...

Jets have lots of holes..

But I think Center might not be one anymore..Draft a center in rd4...But they definately need some kind of special playmaker on offense...

they have none...

we need our Tiki!!!

we need our Plexcio!!!

But I think Center might not be one anymore..Draft a center in rd4...But they definately need some kind of special playmaker on offense...

they have none...

we need our Tiki!!!

we need our Plexcio!!!

they have none...

we need our Tiki!!!

we need our Plexcio!!!

Yeah seriously when was the last time the Jets had a real home run threat on offense? A guy who put fear into the defense. Maybe Keyshawn in his prime. Martin was known more for his consistency.

We should take care of both o-line and skill positions in this draft.

they have none...

we need our Tiki!!!

we need our Plexcio!!!

Yeah seriously when was the last time the Jets had a real home run threat on offense? A guy who put fear into the defense. Maybe Keyshawn in his prime. Martin was known more for his consistency.

We should take care of both o-line and skill positions in this draft.

they have none...

we need our Tiki!!!

we need our Plexcio!!!

Yeah! Where is our Dillon? Where is our Branch?

:eek:

Never mind.

they have none...

we need our Tiki!!!

we need our Plexcio!!!

Yeah! Where is our Dillon? Where is our Branch?

:eek:

Never mind.

I'm not digging into you, as it's all just a matter of opinions/values. But why do you want to draft a RB (at 35 which is essentially a 1st-round pick this year) before a legitimate OL is in place? Not to mention, 2nd-rounders can only be signed for 4-year contracts now. So year-one is out the window running behind Jones-Kendall-Teague-Moore-Rookie and Askew. So that leaves 3 years left on his contract & at a high-injury position like HB would likely hold out of camp in year 4 if we don't give him a lucrative extension (assuming he's worth it to begin with). So you may only get production out of him for 2 years at cheap dollars.

At 35 you're talking about Joseph Addai presumably. I can't see any of the others dropping down to 35 and anyone else is a huge reach at 35. What is it about him that makes you think it's better to throw him behind this ragamuffin OL rather than building a STELLAR offensive line that a mid-rounder can succeed behind?

Not everyone agrees with me, but I'd much rather put at least two studs on the OL by pick 35 (Rd 1 OT and Jean-Gilles at 35). They're going to take more than their rookie off-season to turn into what you hope they'll be anyway. Moore I think is an outstanding backup (at the right price and locked up for many years), but a sub-par starter. Better to do that (IMO) and then draft a RB in round 1-2 next year or see who becomes another team's cap-casualty in FA next year.

I still like the idea of building the OL. Would love to trade down & draft McNeill/Winston + Jean-Gilles + O'Callaghan/Trueblood in the first 3 rounds. Then add whoever you want at HB & watch him light up the league.

While I'm on board of building the lines before getting players to take advantage of it, but, you're on OL OD Sperm ;)

I'm not digging into you, as it's all just a matter of opinions/values. But why do you want to draft a RB (at 35 which is essentially a 1st-round pick this year) before a legitimate OL is in place? Not to mention, 2nd-rounders can only be signed for 4-year contracts now. So year-one is out the window running behind Jones-Kendall-Teague-Moore-Rookie and Askew. So that leaves 3 years left on his contract & at a high-injury position like HB would likely hold out of camp in year 4 if we don't give him a lucrative extension (assuming he's worth it to begin with). So you may only get production out of him for 2 years at cheap dollars.

At 35 you're talking about Joseph Addai presumably. I can't see any of the others dropping down to 35 and anyone else is a huge reach at 35. What is it about him that makes you think it's better to throw him behind this ragamuffin OL rather than building a STELLAR offensive line that a mid-rounder can succeed behind?

Not everyone agrees with me, but I'd much rather put at least two studs on the OL by pick 35 (Rd 1 OT and Jean-Gilles at 35). They're going to take more than their rookie off-season to turn into what you hope they'll be anyway. Moore I think is an outstanding backup (at the right price and locked up for many years), but a sub-par starter. Better to do that (IMO) and then draft a RB in round 1-2 next year or see who becomes another team's cap-casualty in FA next year.

I still like the idea of building the OL. Would love to trade down & draft McNeill/Winston + Jean-Gilles + O'Callaghan/Trueblood in the first 3 rounds. Then add whoever you want at HB & watch him light up the league.

While I'm on board of building the lines before getting players to take advantage of it, but, you're on OL OD Sperm ;)

Only because of Herman Edwards. Both have shown they have the ability to be game-breakers, especially Santana Moss.

Yeah I agree with you that Herminator didn't get the most out of those two but they aren't superstars. Moss had a superstar year last year with the Skins but the fact is he was never a superstar with the Jets. Jordan was a back-up.

The point is we never seem to be able to get that real home run threat on offense. We always have to settle for mediocre to better than mediocre skill position players.

As for the Bradway busts of Jolley, Blaylock and McCareins I don't think those guys are even average. They're below average and I don't care if you have five hall-of-fame linemen blocking for them they will still blow.

Only because of Herman Edwards. Both have shown they have the ability to be game-breakers, especially Santana Moss.

Yeah I agree with you that Herminator didn't get the most out of those two but they aren't superstars. Moss had a superstar year last year with the Skins but the fact is he was never a superstar with the Jets. Jordan was a back-up.

The point is we never seem to be able to get that real home run threat on offense. We always have to settle for mediocre to better than mediocre skill position players.

As for the Bradway busts of Jolley, Blaylock and McCareins I don't think those guys are even average. They're below average and I don't care if you have five hall-of-fame linemen blocking for them they will still blow.

eh, you're probably right

Make no mistake, depth is important... but there are other positions that need filling. Yeah, there aren't many playmakers that are worth taking in this draft, on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not totally against Gosselin's idea of taking Williams and Wimbley. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm warming up to it. That is, of course, provided they do address that offensive line in this draft as well. Giles at 35, OT in the third with both picks, would be fine on me.

I agree with you about Jolly, McCariens, and Blaylock for sure. JAG's at best. Moss had potential that was never forced from him by Herm, and Jordan never got a fair chance to do much. I think he could have been amazing behind the line that Martin won his Rushing Championship behind. All water under the bridge....

its true...2 years ago the only threats on the offense for a big play were Jordan and Moss!

Thats sad..

Had it not been for Moss everyone would be screaming that Chad cant win a divisional playoff game on the road!

Santana kept us in the game..

Jets Desperately need some homerun threats...

Archived